First time planning a non-Caribbean cruise from US

tbmrt

Since we live in FL and it's so easy to cruise to the Caribbean, Panama Canal area, etc., we haven't cruised from other non-US ports.

Thinking of doing a cruise from Venice to Croatia, etc., and wondering how difficult and different it may be. Much easier to cruise on Royal Caribbean or Norwegian vs. MSC, etc?

Input appreciated.

Our experience has been that it's much more about art, history, culture, tours, excursions, siteseeing and spending more time off of the ship than sun, fun, going to beaches and lounging around the pool. If you've been on a line(s) that you particularly like, check out their itineraries. As far as "difficult"....if you live in Fla, obviously it's not a short drive to the port and would require a fairly lengthy flight. If you've not been to Venice already, I'd definitely suggest going a few days prior and enjoying that city and it's surroundings.

Different how? With the different countries and ports of call, but that is with any first cruise. Difficult in what ways? Perhaps with making sure passports are current and allowing the extra travel time with the flights required to and from the departure ports, but otherwise not sure why it would be difficult. Easier with RCI or NCL? Not sure why, but MSC is and Italian based line so language may be an issue.

Sorry, not sure I completely understand what you are looking for with your questions.

Europe is all about the ports, not so much the ship. But when choosing an itinerary, carefully check the times in port. MSC/Costa often have shorter times in port because their clientele sail for the experience, not the ports. Often do not get off the ship.

Definitely go to Venice at least two days early. Going in a day early, you will be jet lagged and not really get much touring in. The first half of that day would be getting there, and to your hotel. EM

I hope you do it because the world that you encounter on that first cruise in Europe opens up so many new horizons to you. After my first one, I couldn't wait to see more, and have done at least another half dozen cruises because there was suddenly so much more that I wanted to see and experience, and still do.

Just do it! I agree with other posters to get there a few days early to enjoy the departure city (and for that matter the destination city/country). You spend the money to travel there so make the most of it. Many trips in the U.S. and now we are exploring the world. Enjoy your travels!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We also love cruising the Med. In April we took a trans Atlantic from Fort Lauderdale on the Royal Princess. It was a 17 day cruise ending in Barcelona. We stayed on for the next two cruise as she sail around the Med. We flew home from Barcelona.

Caribbean cruises, especially if you are in Florida, are so simple and easy on your own. For a European cruise, you may want to talk to a travel agent....they can be very helpful with all the flights/transportation issues that might stymie you...and do your research on your ports....know about public transport, distances, etc...

Cruising in Europe is wonderful! There is so much history that awaits you there! We've done 2 Mediterranean cruises so far..the first was on RCI Brilliance of the Seas out of Barcelona, we stayed 3 days pre-cruise, and then toured Italy and Greece ports. Our 2nd was on Celebrity Silhouette out of Rome. Again, we stayed in Rome pre-cruise, and visited many various Mediterranean ports. We are now booked on a Transatlantic out of Southampton and are looking forward to this cruise as well. As others have posted, these cruises are so very different from the Caribbean cruises you have enjoyed...they are very port-intensive, and so very worth it!!! Once you try it, you may very well get hooked, as are we!

Sent from my SM-T350 using Forums mobile app

Different how? With the different countries and ports of call, but that is with any first cruise. Difficult in what ways? Perhaps with making sure passports are current and allowing the extra travel time with the flights required to and from the departure ports, but otherwise not sure why it would be difficult. Easier with RCI or NCL? Not sure why, but MSC is and Italian based line so language may be an issue.

Sorry, not sure I completely understand what you are looking for .

I think the language barriers with more people who do not speak English is a bit intimidating to me.

you have a longer flight

things may cost more onshore

not really beach destinations more about the history & architecture

cruises there are more port intensive

Pick a ship that goes where you want to go in your budget

go & enjoy

do some research on things to do & see that may interest you

Most Europeans speak at least some English. As long as you have some patience and a sense of humor, you will be fine on that end.

Definitely do arrive a few days early so you can get over the worst of the jet lag and do some sightseeing before embarkation. Embarking the big ships is pretty much the same everywhere.

Learn how to say hello, please and thank you in any country you visit in Europe. Most natives in tourist destinations speak English well or well enough, but trying the local language is polite and will go a LONG way. Learn about tipping and local customs by reading ahead. Is this what you want to know?

I think the language barriers with more people who do not speak English is a bit intimidating to me.

If you are referring to the ship's crew then MSC would not likely be the best choice as they are mostly an Italian crew and there could be some language issues.

As to the ports of call they naturally all will speak a foreign language, but most would speak English as well.

I wouldn't be too concerned about a language barrier. Join the Roll Call for whatever cruise you book. You will get to know the people on your RC, and possibly book excursions with many of them. We met so many wonderful people and experienced memorable excursions with them. The majority of those on the RC were Americans, Canadians, and Australians.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Forums mobile app

I will probably get flamed for this, however these are my opinions.

First of all you have picked a good itinerary which is port intensive. Therefore go into Venice early & explore the city & get rid of any jet-lag. Cruises in the near future will soon be unable to use the Grand Canal. A great experience for a sail-a-way not to be missed.

Pick an all English speaking vessel like RCI or Celebrity. Your ship is not the destination, the ports are your areas of interest.

Do the research on your areas of interest for each port. You can get ideas from the cruise line's excursions offered, Trip Advisor, & be sure to join your roll call for ideas from fellow passengers & maybe join them on a private excursion. Use the ports of call feature on cruise critic for the places you will be visiting. We found it much more pleasant to travel in a small group excursion with a good bi-lingual guide to explain the history & sites to us. You will be doing a lot of walking, so choose your footwear accordingly.

In Venice pick a hotel in your price range & inquire about transferring your luggage to the ship. Costs vary depending on location. Also be aware of the costs of going from the airport to your hotel. Most travelers tend to over-pack & dragging luggage around in Venice is difficult. Remember there are no cars, so water taxis are used everywhere or private boats.

Good planning will avoid most issues. Most everyone in Italy speaks English. Just learn a few simple phrases in Italian. Hello, good morning, thank you, farewell, or good bye. It is always good to take some Euros with you prior to arriving in Venice. This helps with small expenses, tips, & with a few vendors who do not take credit cards. Visa & Mastercard mostly accepted everywhere you are traveling. Beware of international fees charged on your credit card. To avoid this, many USA credit card companies offer cards with no Intl transaction fee.

Really traveling from a foreign port is not that difficult in Europe. There is a lot of good specific information on cruise critic for suggestions on hotels & transfers, check out the boards.

Venice seems more prone to rain than the other ports of call. Be prepared with a light windbreaker or jacket. Also nice to have on aboard the ship during sea days. Remember for most men in Europe, they wear long pants. Only the tourists wear shorts. Shorts & sleeveless shirts will likely prevent you from entering Cathedrals. For women they must cover their shoulders & nice shawl is recommended. Casual attire is preferred in Europe. Personally I like... light weight slacks & a golf shirt, my wife is usually in capris pants with a nice top, or a light dress. Always she has a shawl or some type of wrap with her. We have never been denied access to any site, historical building, or church. Europe is much more of an urban experience with a history much older than USA. It is always very interesting to us. Thus we have been back several times on cruises & land trips. Do take this trip...

I am certain you will find this adventure most exhilarating. Happy Travels, John

Onespots John condensed lots of good advice for you. I wouldn't worry about a finding a travel agent. There are so many great resources on the internet.

If you stay in the major cities, you will have no problems with not knowing the local language. This advice doesn't apply in the villages in some central and eastern European countries.

Flights within Europe are relatively cheap and easy to do. So, if you really want to go to a different city or region that is not a port city, don't hesitate to schedule that in. We visited Krakow and Warsaw taking very cheap flights from our ports.

We much prefer NON Caribbean cruises after six trips to Europe. The Caribbean all starts to look the same after a while. You just need to do some reading and I recommend starting with Rick Steves' books or his website.

Last Med cruise we did was on Celebrity. It started in Civitavecchia (Rome) with stops in Naples, Sicily, Malta (Wonderful), and then several stops going up the Adriatic with Venice as the final port. This was a very nice itinerary and one I would welcome doing again (even though I've been to Venice 5 times before!). You will not have any difficulties communicating at any of the ports.

Kind of funny, but as someone mentioned earlier shorts are not as common in European towns. I hadn't really thought about it but it is very true.

This brings up a frequently discussed topic, but IMHO a tourist from the USA is wise to adhere to some fashion advice when traveling in Europe. I was in Rome in Oct 2103 and generally wore black pants, a black jacket and a patterned top. I felt like I was the only woman wearing a pattern! In many big cities, the women wear very nice shoes, dark solid clothing with maybe a splash of color in a scarf. It is different in the countryside.

It is generally wise to attempt to blend in, but Americans generally do a pretty shabby job of it.

You will find shorts on younger people in Europe during the summer, but not like in the USA.

Just do it! I agree with other posters to get there a few days early to enjoy the departure city (and for that matter the destination city/country). You spend the money to travel there so make the most of it. Many trips in the U.S. and now we are exploring the world. Enjoy your travels!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Could not agree more. The Caribbean is nice but you can have the same experience in the U.S. (Hawaii). Europe has been experiencing a slow-down in travel so it may be a great time to book a cruise there. Once you begin to experience the world (other cultures, foods, etc.), it is addicting. IMO, people that do not leave the U.S. have "tunnel vision" (not necessarily bad - they just have no understanding that people in other countries live differently than we do but it not worse or better - just different).

The only fashion advice I'd give for Europe is that you cannot enter many cathedrals/churches if you are wearing shorts (this is the same for men or women). IMO, it is not the clothes that makes us look like tourists but rather the fact that we are carrying a camera and may be looking at a map:D On the other hand, what's wrong with looking like a tourist? There are issues in Rome, Barcelona and a few other cities that rate in the top 10 for pick pockets but if you take reasonable precautions, you'll be fine.

One suggestion is to avoid July and August. The heat can be unbearable and the crowds are so bad that you can barely walk (especially in Venice). If you are not sailing with children, the best times to visit are May and late September.

IMO, you should go for it and enjoy every moment.

P.S. Cost is not as big of a deal as it was in the past with the devaluation of the Euro. It is always a good idea to get off of the tourist area (near the port) where you will find better prices. Be sure to try real Italian food - it is much different than in the states.