New job, and cruise question?

We are booked on Anthem this Sept. But my wife might be getting a new job very soon. I wonder if they'll let her go being so close to being hired? What do employers usually do in this situation? If she can't we only get back the port fees right? We sail September 28th 9 days to Canada/NE. I guess we'll get insurance going forward. I don't really trust cruise insurance, aren't there a lot of loop holes? Thanks for any help or info.

Sent from my Pixel using Forums mobile app

We are booked on Anthem this Sept. But my wife might be getting a new job very soon..

Any employment offer I've ever made, or been offered, has always included negotiation of start date as well as accommodation of prior commitments. Just make it part of the negotiation if she gets the job offer. Don't bring it up any sooner. Nothing turns off a prospective employer more that a candidate that starts off an interview with stuff like this.

Most travel insurance would not cover this situation. However, if you get the cruise line insurance, there is a "cancel for any reason" clause which does give you 75% of your cost back as credit for another cruise.

Any employment offer I've ever made, or been offered, has always included negotiation of start date as well as accommodation of prior commitments. Just make it part of the negotiation if she gets the job offer. Don't bring it up any sooner. Nothing turns off a prospective employer more that a candidate that starts off an interview with stuff like this.

Thanks I appreciate that advice. This is something I know nothing about. I've had 3 jobs in my life all covered by a labor contract. What's in the contract is how it works, can't deviate. She obviously isn't in that type of situation.

So you're saying don't bring it up in the interview but after the job is offered? Then day there is a prior commitment? My thinking was to say we have a vacation planned and said for but will compete skip it, scrap it if it interferes with the job or jeapardizes my job in any way. Correct or no?

Thanks I appreciate that advice. This is something I know nothing about. I've had 3 jobs in my life all covered by a labor contract. What's in the contract is how it works, can't deviate. She obviously isn't in that type of situation.

So you're saying don't bring it up in the interview but after the job is offered? Then day there is a prior commitment? My thinking was to say we have a vacation planned and said for but will compete skip it, scrap it if it interferes with the job or jeapardizes my job in any way. Correct or no?

I think that would be fine

I was recently in the same situation, I explained that I wouldn't be able to start until X date (after our cruise) and it wasn't an issue. If you start the job now and the trip isn't until Sept, then I would explain that you have a prior commitment during that week and need it off. They should be able to tell you if it's a problem. Depending on the employer, they might make you take the time as unpaid or borrowing against future vacation accrual. It's also a good litmus test of the company, if they give you a hassle about it, is it somewhere you'd really want to work.

DH just accepted a new job that he will start in early-mid Aug. He told them after they made the offer and before he accepted it that we were going to be gone for three weeks in Oct-Nov. He will have to take leave without pay (not a big deal especially since he's getting a raise and a signing bonus) but they said they were fine with it. It happens frequently. DH wasn't even looking to move jobs or companies, they found him.

As a previous employer I really appreciated employees who let me know dates they had previous commitments after I made a job offer to them. That way I knew in advance if I would have the coverage needed for them to be off. Nothing bothered me more than someone coming in to work their first week and saying "oh, btw I need off on such and such dates."

For our cruise back in 2015 my husband had just graduated after going back to college as an adult. After receiving job offers and during the negotiation process he let them know that he had a vacation planned and asked if they would be able to accommodate his time off. The two companies he narrowed his search down to both agreed it wouldn't be a problem however one wanted him to wait until after the trip to start working. The company he ended going with let him work for 2 weeks to get to know everyone in the office and then we took our cruise. The week after we returned they sent him out of state for 2 weeks of training. They were very accommodating and could have very easily had him just start after our cruise. They even paid him for the time off. (Without using any of his vacation days) His company is still as awesome today as they were back then!

I would also agree with others and not bring it up until the offer is made and they discuss a start date. Then she simply says that she has something previously scheduled for the week of September 29th and that, depending on when they ask her to start, either she can start a week later, or that she'd like to be able to take that week.

They may say without pay, they may say she can take it against a future week. But I would not offer to cancel unless there is no other choice, and this is her dream job (or she's been out of work and really needs to go back). Most will accommodate.

Agree with the other posters about including the time off in any post offer negotiations. DO NOT MENTION it before they offer the job. Personal experience is this type of thing hasn't been a problem. But, you situation is no doubt different.

But, along with that, you might consider if you need to buy the cancel for any reason insurance. You know the situation of the possible employer, and if you are that close to the trip, you may just well be inside final payment. If so, consider the coverage. Not saying you should or shouldn't, but ponder the risk and the cost/benefit.

Maybe you can't get it this close to the trip, I don't know.

As an employer I have always been understanding of that. I even hire a person who after the offer was made let me know that they had a cruise planned and were within time frame of losing everything except the deposit. Being a cruiser I understood and it was no problem. The position had been open for about 3 months anyway so another week wasn't going to hurt me! :cool:

This happened to my DD two months ago. She was offered a job where no vacation time was given until one year of employment. She told them after the offer was made that she had a family cruise scheduled for the end of September. They told her it was not a problem but she would have to take it unpaid, which she expected. She gladly accepted the job.

This. I've taken jobs with the stipulation that I have vacation plans sometimes as soon as a couple of weeks after starting. I never bring it up until I have an offer in hand, and it's never been an issue.

This. I've taken jobs with the stipulation that I have vacation plans sometimes as soon as a couple of weeks after starting. I never bring it up until I have an offer in hand, and it's never been an issue.

This, We have a land vacation coming up in October. I start a new job in 2 weeks. I brought up that I had a commitment in October and would need 7 days off. At that point we wouldn't have lost anything, since we hadn't even purchased airfare yet but my Husband has to schedule time off 12+ months in advance so if we cancelled we would be out of luck. Anyway, there were no issues with getting the time off. I will have to take those days unpaid, since I wont have any PTO yet, but i'm okay with that.

After she gets the job offer and accepts and she's given a start day if it conflicts advise them that this trip has been planned awhile and will lose money etc and like to be sure she can have that week off. Most reasonable employees will allow it with or without pay(using vaca days in advance. ) if they are unreasonable I'd rethink working for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you guys very much for the info, and advice. Sounds like most employers will let her go, but maybe unpaid. That isn't great, but we'll take it. We planned this cruise well over a year ago, and made final payment June 20th. She was just laid off yesterday, and has interviews all next week, and had one today. I really want to go on this cruise, but employment is more important in the end.

There is no reason to bring it up before she gets the job.

All above advice is good. Don't bring it up until she gets the job offer. Going forward, as you realize, get trip insurance.

We were taking the DS, DIL, and GD's on the Oasis last year when two months before sailing DS was laid off. Job hunting wasn't going well so we all decided to cancel them (we still went of course) with a promise to take them in the future (we sail October 8th).

People always ask "do I need trip insurance?" On two occasions we have used it and it's paid for all the premiums since we started buying it. On this trip we had to "cancel for any reason" as loss of job isn't a covered event. I canceled at 16 days before sailing. I got 25% back in cash direct from RCCL. I then filed a claim with the insurance, who denied it as not being covered. They sent a letter to RCCL about the denial and then RCCL gave me a Future Cruise Certificate (FCC) for 75% of what they hadn't given me back in cash. It took several months, so don't expect reimbursement overnight.

All told the re-book for two D6 cabins for them is costing me about $900 after cash back and applying the FCC.

The first time we had a death in the family three days before we sailed. We got 100% back in cash.

I run the state of Florida for a claims company and I usually don't allow vacation for the first 2-3 months after a hire, but will honor it if they advised of it prior to the hire. Like someone mentioned, she should advise that she had a prior commitment rather then advising she had a cruise scheduled.