FYI change in Royal Caribbean booking policy

I'm not sure how to get this information out to the public so I'm trying this. We are in the process of booking our third cruise with Royal Caribbean. We were surprised to find out when booking that they have changed their policy about allowing guests to cancel a booking without penalty (within a certain time period). It just changed as of July 1 and there was no notification to returning guests. We have had good experiences with this company before but when I went to book again today, they basically said "too bad for you. This is our policy and if you don't like it then book elsewhere" (not those exact words but that was implied). The lady I spoke to (Lorinda- Resolution Supervisor) kept saying that it was a new "promotion". This is in no way a promotion, which implies something good for the customer. I understand that they are joining other companies with this policy but I thought that a notification of what was coming would have be sent to loyal customers. Just be aware when booking.

Thanks this is my first time on here so I didn't see the other posts. I will look. I did find out that you have a choice but the non-refundable deposit costs pretty much the same as the amount you would lose is you cancelled, so there is no benefit (the refundable was about 800 dollars more than the non refundable and our deposit was 1000 dollars) They tried to make it sound like you have a choice but really you don't. It was much better before July 1 when you paid the same amount and didn't lose any money. This was just a positive about booking with RC that they no longer have.

I believe the www site is pretty clear about why the new policy went into effect for suites ONLY. People were buying up multiple suites with no intention of using them all and then canceling down the road. Thereby locking up several (I am sure) suites for people who really want to go.

You ask, "the advantage"? Your dates are flexible, so you book five random cruises, and watch for a fare drop. You call and re-book the lower fare over and over again; until you have the lowest fare and final payment date comes. You cancel all the others and keep the best fare.

Can't say I blame RCCL for doing this and we only have ourselves to blame.

It would be interesting to hear from RCCL on how many (% wise) suites vs non-suites were canceled at final payment date.

Edited by jamesr3939

I believe the www site is pretty clear about why the new policy went into effect for suites ONLY. People were buying up multiple suites with no intention of using them all and then canceling down the road. Thereby locking up several (I am sure) suites for people who really want to go.

You ask, "the advantage"? Your dates are flexible, so you book five random cruises, and watch for a fare drop. You call and re-book the lower fare over and over again; until you have the lowest fare and final payment date comes. You cancel all the others and keep the best fare.

Can't say I blame RCCL for doing this and we only have ourselves to blame.

It would be interesting to hear from RCCL on how many (% wise) suites vs non-suites were canceled at final payment date.

Their accountants use the same it that we use to book, therefore they are unable to come to an exact number without first adding a hundred, then get locked out web site:o

Thanks this is my first time on here so I didn't see the other posts. I will look. I did find out that you have a choice but the non-refundable deposit costs pretty much the same as the amount you would lose is you cancelled, so there is no benefit (the refundable was about 800 dollars more than the non refundable and our deposit was 1000 dollars) They tried to make it sound like you have a choice but really you don't. It was much better before July 1 when you paid the same amount and didn't lose any money. This was just a positive about booking with RC that they no longer have.

You don't lose the entire deposit. If you change ship or sail date you pay a $100pp fee. If you cancel before final payment you receive a future cruise certificate for the deposit amount less the $100pp fee.

What happens if the fare change in price? Can you still get a price adjustment and not lose the deposit?

Yes, as long as you don't change the ship or sailing date, you keep the full deposit.

Edited by clarea

I noticed today a similar "promotion" on HAL (actually the promo has been in effect for a while) wherein the deposit (by default when doing a trial booking on the web) is the non-refundable variety. Not sure which line thought of this first (RCI or HAL) but it kind of smacks of Carnival's Early Saver fare wherein you get a lower fare price but only a partially refundable deposit if you cancel. As long as there is a refundable option when booking (albeit at a higher fare), I guess I don't care about the games they play with deposits.

I As long as there is a refundable option when booking (albeit at a higher fare), I guess I don't care about the games they play with deposits.

That extra RCI is asking for the refundable option can be anything and at some point people will just default to the NRD because the refundable is that much more (it's already happening in many cases). So the refundable option might be there but it may turn into such an expensive option, no one will book it.

That extra RCI is asking for the refundable option can be anything and at some point people will just default to the NRD because the refundable is that much more (it's already happening in many cases). So the refundable option might be there but it may turn into such an expensive option, no one will book it.

No doubt. :)

I'm not one to "play" with bogus bookings, I only book sailings I fully intend to go on so this is a good thing.

I just converted a few previously refundable bookings for next year and saved hundreds of $$$ :D

However, I am admittedly a little apprehensive about the really early bookings (over a year away). It's nice to know that "just in case" something happens or my situation changes these can be changed or cancelled without penalty. Hopefully I can do the same thing with these 2019 bookings -- wait until a little closer then reprice them as NRD and save a few bucks.

I'm not sure how to get this information out to the public so I'm trying this. We are in the process of booking our third cruise with Royal Caribbean. We were surprised to find out when booking that they have changed their policy about allowing guests to cancel a booking without penalty (within a certain time period). It just changed as of July 1 and there was no notification to returning guests. We have had good experiences with this company before but when I went to book again today, they basically said "too bad for you. This is our policy and if you don't like it then book elsewhere" (not those exact words but that was implied). The lady I spoke to (Lorinda- Resolution Supervisor) kept saying that it was a new "promotion". This is in no way a promotion, which implies something good for the customer. I understand that they are joining other companies with this policy but I thought that a notification of what was coming would have be sent to loyal customers. Just be aware when booking.
Oh boy thanks for the public service announcement! Old news and it is what it is, no big deal.:rolleyes:

What if you have a future cruise booked before the rules changed. Can you cancel or change without being penalized?I'm not talking about suites but balcony or outside cabin bookings.

Bookings of categories less than a GS made before (and not changed after) July 1, 2017 still have the same rules. However, if you see a price drop and that new price is for a non-refundable deposit, then you would be subject to the new rules if you switch to the new price.

• 2 weeks later...

Called today to re-price a couple of cruises that showed a price drop. Both cruises were booked under the new Non-Refundable Deposit program. When I asked the agent about the new prices, she informed me that these NR fares were not eligible for price drops. I asked her to check with a supervisor and she came back and said she was mistaken. We proceeded to go through a 45 minute process whereby I did not change any of the prices because we would have lost more promotional OBC than the price drop would have realized.

Fast forward to my last question about another future booking made onboard with a minimal deposit. To take advantage of that price drop, I was told by a supervisor that I would need to pay the full deposit amount. Despite some verbal wrangling I decided not to do that. However, in her description of the Non Refundable Fares policy, she stated and repeated for me several times that: "Any changes made to PRICE, CATEGORY, SHIP or SAIL DATE on a non refundable fare would be subject to a change fee of $100." I asked her to clarify the price component several times, because I had just spent 45 minutes looking at lower prices on these fares after the agent had double checked and the supervisor was adamant that this was the policy.

It seems like the message is still somewhat confused but I now believe this statement to be the intent of the policy. I'd be interested to know if others have been told different, but for now it seems like no price drops on non-refundable fares.

... It seems like the message is still somewhat confused but I now believe this statement to be the intent of the policy. I'd be interested to know if others have been told different, but for now it seems like no price drops on non-refundable fares.

I guess we will see how this works out over time. The company has a continuing problem of disseminating accurate and timely info throughout the company.

If there really are no price drops for non-refundable fares, then they have take the worst part of Carnival's Easy Saver (no refunds) and left out the best part (price drops after final payment).

Called today to re-price a couple of cruises that showed a price drop. Both cruises were booked under the new Non-Refundable Deposit program. When I asked the agent about the new prices, she informed me that these NR fares were not eligible for price drops. I asked her to check with a supervisor and she came back and said she was mistaken. We proceeded to go through a 45 minute process whereby I did not change any of the prices because we would have lost more promotional OBC than the price drop would have realized.

Fast forward to my last question about another future booking made onboard with a minimal deposit. To take advantage of that price drop, I was told by a supervisor that I would need to pay the full deposit amount. Despite some verbal wrangling I decided not to do that. However, in her description of the Non Refundable Fares policy, she stated and repeated for me several times that: "Any changes made to PRICE, CATEGORY, SHIP or SAIL DATE on a non refundable fare would be subject to a change fee of $100." I asked her to clarify the price component several times, because I had just spent 45 minutes looking at lower prices on these fares after the agent had double checked and the supervisor was adamant that this was the policy.

It seems like the message is still somewhat confused but I now believe this statement to be the intent of the policy. I'd be interested to know if others have been told different, but for now it seems like no price drops on non-refundable fares.

I have received a price drop on a non refundable fare.

I am guessing that the price drop you saw was for one of the new non refundable fares and that is why they told you that you need to pay the remainder of the deposit for your on board booking that you had already booked.