Times are a changing

I think that it is more than possible, actually probable if one cruises often, to have as bad a cruise on any line, including HAL, as you had on O. It happens.

We like Celebrity, one of our favourite.s Always had a sterling cruise. But we do not have blinders on. We have absolutely no doubt that it is very possible to have a terrible cruise on Celebrity. And it certainly is on HAL and Princess.

I suspect the chances of having a less than favourable cruise are actually increasing across all lines as cruise lines cut back, try new approaches, and yes....keep sailing older ships without doing expensive upgrades of deteriorating engineering systems because the planned retirement/sale of the ship.

It is absolutely possible!! We had a detestable cruise on Statendam shortly before it was sent to P&O. This was due to shoddy maintenance, poor food, inattentive dining and beverage staff, and front desk staff lying to us, stating we couldn't be accommodated in another cabin (ours flooded) after DW and I watched several hundred guests disembark the vessel, as they were not joining us for the add-on. When called on it, they comped us to Canaletto. We returned in May after saying never again because Eurodam had an itinerary we wanted to do, and the experience was MUCH better.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by UPNYGuy

For many people they have come to a point in life where the ship is their destination, for their vacation. I have seen this posted many times. They are not using it like a bus to get from A to B. So for them the shipboard life and entertainment is important. I was very fortunate to be able to do 4 longer cruises over the past 4 years and found that with each one something else was gone. When I think back to the first one it was a stark contrast to the latest one, where there was very little besides daily trivia (well, most days), the evening show (which wasn't every evening) and BB King. It has changed a lot.

Good post - I am one of those for whom the ship is the destination

Good post - I am one of those for whom the ship is the destination

I am one of those as well. I'm not expecting a nightly carnival, or a belly flop contest by the pool, or nonstop activities, but I do expect some fun entertainment offered by an amiable cruise director and his staff. I think that's part of the cruising experience!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am one of those as well. I'm not expecting a nightly carnival, or a belly flop contest by the pool, or nonstop activities, but I do expect some fun entertainment offered by an amiable cruise director and his staff. I think that's part of the cruising experience!

Hear ! Hear ! I am on board as well with this post !

My husband is an occasional lecturer on HAL ships so I (selfishly) hope they don't do away with them on all cruises. It seems to be a bit hit or miss, but generally longer cruises seem to still have them and especially Grand Voyages. Friends who were on the Mediterranean Grand Voyage this year said they had 2 lecturers most of the time. We did a 12 day segment of the World Cruise this year with the Road Scholar group and the ship had 2 lecturers on board. The 30 day Amazon cruise in November will have at least one.

The passengers who sail on HAL seem to want to be educated as much as they want to be entertained so having lectures is a big plus IMHO.

The absence of lecturers is a very frustrating thing for me. It seems like an area that ties in so perfectly with HAL's variety of itineraries around the world. And having them aboard isn't a large cost -- and provides something to tout in the daytime activity ledger.

It also seems very unfair that lecturers (when they are actually on board) are limited to longer cruises. As someone who still works, I cannot take off more than two weeks or so at a time. I can say that HAL is losing me as a passenger most of the time, because I can find another cruise that offers the itinerary I want WITH enrichment lectures.

I am giving Prinsendam a try next year. If there are no enrichment lecturers, it will possibly be a long time before I consider HAL again.

The passengers who sail on HAL seem to want to be educated as much as they want to be entertained so having lectures is a big plus IMHO.

... because I can find another cruise that offers the itinerary I want WITH enrichment lectures.
Which one?

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

The absence of lecturers is a very frustrating thing for me. It seems like an area that ties in so perfectly with HAL's variety of itineraries around the world. And having them aboard isn't a large cost -- and provides something to tout in the daytime activity ledger.

It also seems very unfair that lecturers (when they are actually on board) are limited to longer cruises. As someone who still works, I cannot take off more than two weeks or so at a time. I can say that HAL is losing me as a passenger most of the time, because I can find another cruise that offers the itinerary I want WITH enrichment lectures.

I am giving Prinsendam a try next year. If there are no enrichment lecturers, it will possibly be a long time before I consider HAL again.

We've had the lecturers on our cruises and hope we shall again on the Prinsendam next year. When are you sailing? We leave in May and I will report.

Which one?

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Voyages of Antiquity is one of them.

Sadly, cost cutting seems to be part of most lines' business plans. I suppose HAL (and others) feel that on short "commodity" cruises such as those to the Caribbean - where hanging on the airport fence at St. Maarten, or snagging a great jewelry deal at St. Thomas, appear to be major interests, enrichment lectures are not going to be a significant draw, so why not save by cutting them - and only offer them on itineraries when they are likely to be seen as an inducement for a significant number of potential passengers.

Sadly, cost cutting seems to be part of most lines' business plans.
Or they are aiming to serve a different and more broadly-held set of passenger interests, which allows specialized cruise lines like Voyages of Antiquity to efficiently serve specialized interests.

The lack of a naturalist on your cruise surprises me, as I was on a seven day r/t cruise on the Oosterdam to Alaska in June and there was a naturalist who spoke a few times, then would go with us out on deck to see what there was to see. I wonder if whoever was scheduled for your cruise had to cancel at the last moment?

We've had the lecturers on our cruises and hope we shall again on the Prinsendam next year. When are you sailing? We leave in May and I will report.

Thanks; I am booked on the 14 night River Explorer itinerary departing September 16, 2018. :D

Thanks; I am booked on the 14 night River Explorer itinerary departing September 16, 2018. :D

Oh that should be a wonderful cruise.

I will be doing a live thread when we sail so if I don't mention it, feel free to ask. The lecturers have always been good when I have been on in the past.

I agree with your frustration over the lack of speakers. We have never done more than two weeks on a HAL ship and have never had a speaker, other than the park ranger in Glacier Bay. We're used to having a nice slate of speakers on Cunard, and not just on transatlantics. I adjust my expectations on our HAL cruises and make sure I've got plenty to read.

Sadly I think all this extra partnering that HAL is getting involved in means that there is going to be a lot of selling going on whilst onboard.

We cruise for the ports, love to get off and wander by ourselves, maybe take one or two excursions over a 3 week cruise. We also enjoy the peace and quiet of the ship. We can chat to other passengers, read, walk the deck and of course, eat. :')

We can ignore the sales pitches. Never been to an art auction, never had a photo taken, so won't make much difference to us.

I do feel for those who enjoy the activities. They have progressively decreased in number and in value over the years.

after no sailings on HAL for 5 years because of of all the silly stuff, this is GREAT news. we do just what this poster said and last time ate every dinner in the Pinnacle--Heaven--no noise or screaming children and a leisurely meal. Maybe we can get back to HAL--as long as it's a Neptune Suite:)

after no sailings on HAL for 5 years because of of all the silly stuff, this is GREAT news. we do just what this poster said and last time ate every dinner in the Pinnacle--Heaven--no noise or screaming children and a leisurely meal. Maybe we can get back to HAL--as long as it's a Neptune Suite:)

Are port talks and lecturers silly stuff as well? What about live music around the ship? Too silly? We've come to expect at least a semi lively, fun atmosphere. Again, my wife and I don't really need to be entertained nonstop either, but that shouldn't justify a dead kind of vibe either.

We're booked on the Zaandaam for an Antarctic/Brazil cruise early next year, first time on HA. Of course I'm sure we'll love it no matter what, but there are many sea days, which we normally love because it provides time for lecturers, reading, even a little trivia. I hope they don't cut back too much on the activities.

But if you don't like any events going on, attendance is not mandatory! So why complain about them?

Are port talks and lecturers silly stuff as well? What about live music around the ship? Too silly? We've come to expect at least a semi lively, fun atmosphere. Again, my wife and I don't really need to be entertained nonstop either, but that shouldn't justify a dead kind of vibe either.

We're booked on the Zaandaam for an Antarctic/Brazil cruise early next year, first time on HA. Of course I'm sure we'll love it no matter what, but there are many sea days, which we normally love because it provides time for lecturers, reading, even a little trivia. I hope they don't cut back too much on the activities.

But if you don't like any events going on, attendance is not mandatory! So why complain about them?

They will have lecturers, music, games, etc. on sea days, for sure! Don't worry about that for one minute. [emoji8]

BarbarianPaul,

Just returned from an Amsterdam Alaskan cruise, I would be disappointed if there will not be scenic commentary during my December 15th South America/Antarctica cruise.

Trivia: yes, I am sure that activity will be available, maybe 2 times a day with a music and BBC Earth trivia game thrown in as well.

On this cruise in Jan. 2017 - great lectures on the history and music of Brazil, ports and even Portuguese language classes. You should have something similar. Enjoy