Murder on Emerald Princess

Aquahound

http://crew-center.com/miami-florida-cruise-ship-schedule-january-june-2017

According to this site, neither Vista nor Elation arrived/left Port of Miami on June 18, 2017.....

Things that make you go, "Hmmmm....". :eek:

Toot-Toot!!!

The Vista left Port of Miami on June 17, 2017 and returned on June 25, 2017. Perhaps the poster was on the ship and typed in 18 instead of 17!

There was nothing about this at all on our local news and it's certainly a story that likely make news. We have a local Homeland security office here and I have a friend who is a cop with them and a friend that works at the port, so I'll reach and see if they heard anything.

I'm heavy into CLIA, work a lot with the cruise parent corporations and have family that works at Port of Miami. I never heard of a murder on Vista either.

Vista cruised June 17-25, by the way.

I was on the Emerald Princess the week before this murder, and it has taken me over a week before I felt up to opening and reading this thread. I have only read about a third of the thread, so apologies if what I say is redundant or passe'. We hosted a family event, taking 12 members of our family as our guests on this cruise. It was fabulous. This incident has really shaken me, even though it happened a few days after we cruised AK.

Call it morbid curiosity or a need to quell my rattled nerves, but I did want to know what cabin this occurred in (yes I have found it). We were on deck 10, one deck above, and I cannot imagine hearing all this going on below us. Where we were located (center of the ship) our balconies extended out (half covered, half uncovered), but deck 9's balconies in our section (all uncovered) below us also extended out, to cover the lifeboats on deck 8. No one could fall from the balcony of our cabins onto anything but the deck below. So when the news first began to break that the occupants of port side cabins on decks 8-10 were being held for interviews, I wanted to learn more. My cabin was on the starboard side, but 3 of our 6 cabins were on the port side.

My heart goes out to the family, to the children, and to the passengers and crew who were probably way more rattled than I still feel, even though I was not there at that time. This is a tragedy, and all of us respond to tragedies differently. For those who did not want to know the cabin number(s), I respect that. But I equally respect those, like myself who wanted to know, and feel no need or desire to be shamed by those who feel differently. Thank you all for keeping the discussion of this painful experience civil and respectful.

http://crew-center.com/miami-florida-cruise-ship-schedule-january-june-2017

According to this site, neither Vista nor Elation arrived/left Port of Miami on June 18, 2017.....

Things that make you go, "Hmmmm....". :eek:

Toot-Toot!!!

If I understood the previous posts correctly I think the murder on the Elation happened in 2009.

I

I know that time delay sounds bad but it really isn't at all. Remember, this is a self contained, foreign flagged ship with their own on board authority (security). The notification to the FBI was done by Holland America Group in Seattle, not by the ship. That delay in notification really does not matter because the FBI doesn't become relevant until the ship reaches port anyways. It's not like a land based 911 service where the FBI was going to go rushing out to the ship.

This also happens in the USA. I am a nurse in a long term care facility. I can be called to a patients room and find them without a pulse no BP, no respirations and with fixed and dilated pupils , or can actually be with them when they die. But the time of death is not when I find the patient, it is when the doctor returns my call and calls time of death. I assume that it would be the same on a cruise ship or any place that does not have a MD present at the actual time of death. The time of actual death and pronounced death can be different.

What does this mean in legalese? http://www.sltrib.com/news/2017/08/04/preliminary-hearing-waived-for-southern-utah-man-accused-of-killing-his-wife-on-alaskan-cruise-ship/

Manzanares waived his right to preliminary hearing. Next up, grand jury.

It means that his case will proceed directly to a grand jury who will recommend what he's going to be charged with based on the recommendations and requests of the prosecutors. You realize, of course, that a grand jury doesn't decide guilt or innocense? Just whether or not it will go to trial. There is no way that this gets no billed by the grand jury.

It means that his case will proceed directly to a grand jury who will recommend what he's going to be charged with based on the recommendations and requests of the prosecutors. You realize, of course, that a grand jury doesn't decide guilt or innocense? Just whether or not it will go to trial. There is no way that this gets no billed by the grand jury.

I appreciate your participation, but could you please clarify... are you a lawyer?

I see it's time for some clarification again. Grand Jury (in this particular context). All felonies in the federal system go before a Grand Jury. The Special Agent and the prosector provide just enough information to establish Probable Cause. Assuming this is achieved, the GJ comes back with what's called a True Bill.

The whole purpose of a GJ is to prevent unfounded and oppressive prosecution.

This is how federal cases get Indicted. The subject is not there. There are no pleas. It's not a trial. In many, if not most cases, this process is done before the subject is even arrested. Although, that's not the case here because the subject was arrested on what's called a Criminal Complaint.

Edited by Aquahound

Sailinglisa,

You are right about the time of death being when a Physician** declares the death and notes the time it was so declared. It does not necessarily indicate the actual time of death. Frequently that is unknown at that time.

**In some special circumstances perhaps another "official" can "call" the death, I do not know. For example, a ship without a physician on board, isolated villages in Alaska where there is no physician, deaths in the field in wartime, etc.

I see it's time for some clarification again. Grand Jury (in this particular context). All felonies in the federal system go before a Grand Jury. The Special Agent and the prosector provide just enough information to establish Probable Cause. Assuming this is achieved, the GJ comes back with what's called a True Bill.

The whole purpose of a GJ is to prevent unfounded and oppressive prosecution.

This is how federal cases get Indicted. The subject is not there. There are no pleas. It's not a trial. In many, if not most cases, this process is done before the subject is even arrested. Although, that's not the case here because the subject was arrested on what's called a Criminal Complaint.

I have a question. If all felonies at a federal level go to Grand Jury first, I am curious why one of our Cruise critics posted that Manzanares has "waived his right to a preliminary hearing."

Can a defendant opt for a prelim at any time in the federal system, or must his/her case proceed to Grand Jury?

Is there any other type of Jury than a Grand Jury?

Generally speaking, Federal, state and county prosecutors utilize grand juries to decide whether probable cause exists to support criminal charges. ​A regular jury (6 to 12 people) – aka a petit jury – hears only trial cases. A regular jury decides the facts. The judge presiding over the trial decides the law.

You have no idea what could have happened in a ship cabin or hotel room prior to your stay, so why would it matter. You might not even know what had happened in your house prior to you buying it.

A customer of a travel agent that I know asked if he could get a discount on that cabin. He was serious.