Murder on Emerald Princess

Aquahound

To clarify, yes, I'm on the ship right now about to leave Ketchikan. There are names posted by each door who is staying there. This morning I saw a couple leaving one of the rooms, but I'm not going to freak them out by asking if they are aware of the recent events.

It's best to not say anything, what they don't know won't hurt them.

I saw the carpet today as I walked by and the door was open. It looked new, and was even the same pattern as the carpet in my room. Not all the rooms have the same pattern.

The carpet was replaced within days, before the ship even returned to Seattle. My kids saw the roll of carpet in the hall while going up the stairs in that area.

I saw the carpet today as I walked by and the door was open. It looked new, and was even the same pattern as the carpet in my room. Not all the rooms have the same pattern.

A cabin steward said there was no damage to the room other than blood. No furniture or fixtures had to be replaced other than possibly the bunk ladder.

I would assume they'd have to take the ladder as evidence, assuming it was actually used in the commission of the crime.

I was not ever booked in the rooms in question and at the time I called princess I did not know which rooms had events in them. I just wanted to make sure my room wasn't one of them (interesting that now I wouldn't care). Princess wouldn't tell me the room numbers but assured me no one would be using those rooms. I was disappointed that was an incorrect statement.

All the info I got was from talking to my cabin steward who was aware of the murder but all he knew seemed to be from news reports. I was unclear as to why medical was called to decks 9 and 14. He told me that the call for medical came from deck 14 reporting the incident on 9. There was never anything foul tha t happened on 14. My steward was also the one to mention there was no damage to the furniture, just cleaning had to be done and replacing the carpet.

I know the rooms are occupied because I have seen the people when I walked by the room. I didn't talk to their cabin steward or to the guests staying in that room. Yes I want more details too, but I think most of us know more than most of the employees on the ship.

I thought I saw two small stains outside the cabin door which may have been blood. My wife thinks they are too old and faded to be from the crime scene.

I imagine that cabin is in better shape than my cabin.

Edited by Tubafone
Misspelled

I was not ever booked in the rooms in question and at the time I called princess I did not know which rooms had events in them. I just wanted to make sure my room wasn't one of them (interesting that now I wouldn't care). Princess wouldn't tell me the room numbers but assured me no one would be using those rooms. I was disappointed that was an incorrect statement.

All the info I got was from talking to my cabin steward who was aware of the murder but all he knew seemed to be from news reports. I was unclear as to why medical was called to decks 9 and 14. He told me that the call for medical came from deck 14 reporting the incident on 9. There was never anything foul tha t happened on 14. My steward was also the one to mention there was no damage to the furniture, just cleaning had to be done and replacing the carpet.

I know the rooms are occupied because I have seen the people when I walked by the room. I didn't talk to their cabin steward or to the guests staying in that room. Yes I want more details too, but I think most of us know more than most of the employees on the ship.

I thought I saw two small stains outside the cabin door which may have been blood. My wife thinks they are too old and faded to be from the crime scene.

I imagine that cabin is in better shape than my cabin.

Thank you for the updates. Very interesting to hear that the room is already occupied.( even though they told you it would not be).

I was on deck 9 that night. You could not walk by the room because it was back in its own corner near the aft elevator, and an attendant was stationed outside the room. I didn't want to go near the room and even went to mid ship to get on the elevator, even though our room was near the aft. We tried to act like it didn't happen just to try to salvage our vacation. How is the mood on the ship now? Is it still dominating all the conversations ?

Not surprised. I would be pretty astonished if 20 percent of the pax on board had any idea it happened anywhere, let alone on that particular ship.

The mood on the ship is fine. I've heard nobody talking about this... and I was hoping I'd hear something new. It is already as if nothing happened.

I'm just curious -with so many people on here wanting to know every little detail of the murder, and murders so common in many of our cities today, do you follow the local murders as closely as you seem to be on this particular case? I know locally there have been murders in hotels, but I doubt many locally can even tell you where they happened, let alone travelers who stay in these hotels.

I'm just curious -with so many people on here wanting to know every little detail of the murder, and murders so common in many of our cities today, do you follow the local murders as closely as you seem to be on this particular case? I know locally there have been murders in hotels, but I doubt many locally can even tell you where they happened, let alone travelers who stay in these hotels.

Actually I'm more curious as to why you are following the thread....but then we all are "lookie-loo's" to one degree or another. Mostly I believe this is different because we consider going on a cruise as going to our "happy" place. And it's hard to imagine a family not only not enjoying their cruise, but losing a loved one in the most tragic manner than one can. It's just hard to wrap our heads around it. It's at the most opposite end of the spectrum. In other other words, it makes us rethink our paradigm.

Yes, but what's happening is a murder on a cruise ship is being discussed on a cruise forum. I have no doubt that the same number of folks are following local murders and other cases of intrigue -- they're just not doing it on Cruise Critic. They're doing it on other forums, Facebook, etc. And the minutia of any given incident is likely being speculated upon and gone over and rehashed.

Stop and think about it -- why do you think murder mystery books, suspense drama movies and tv shows like Law & Order are so popular? Think about how a parent might get wrapped up in a local story about a murder/kidnap of a child. It's a psychological consideration which is hardly specific to this particular murder aboard the Emerald.

Actually I'm more curious as to why you are following the thread....but then we all are "lookie-loo's" to one degree or another. Mostly I believe this is different because we consider going on a cruise as going to our "happy" place. And it's hard to imagine a family not only not enjoying their cruise, but losing a loved one in the most tragic manner than one can. It's just hard to wrap our heads around it. It's at the most opposite end of the spectrum. In other other words, it makes us rethink our paradigm.

I'd suggest that there is no reason to rethink your paradigm. You are going on a cruise because you believe that it is something you would enjoy and you can afford it. That is your reason. Enough said. Why I or someone else goes on a cruise is unimportant. Over half a million passengers cruise out of our near by port and there are probably a million or so reasons why they cruise and those reasons probably run the complete gamut from the most innocent to the weird and illegal. But 99.99% of the time, the negative affect that Person A has on Person B is absolutely zero while the positive affect is at the other end of the scale. Will you meet someone that has a positive affect on you? Almost surely. Will you meet someone who has a negative affect on you? Possibly. But will the negative person last longer than the positive person? Probably not. Check out the various cruises available, make your choice and go on it and I'd be willing to bet that you will remember a whole bunch of positive things and people and very, very few negatives.

Tom

I do when the murder happened 30 yards from me.

Many here have been on the Emerald, so it hits home.

Also this is the kind of story that ends up on TV documentation shows.

How often do you hear a murder took place on a cruise ship?

How often do you hear a murder took place on a cruise ship?

Exactly. Cruise Critic is like the water cooler. Something happened in our community and everyone is talking about it. It's human nature. It's nobody's business why those of us who follow are interested.

I get what you're trying to say, but this is a cruise forum and more specifically, this is the Princess forum. Princess has 17 ships. If there was a forum for just 17 hotels and a murder was committed in one of those 17 hotels that attracted nationwide news, I'm sure it would be discussed.

Not just cheerleaders, but know-it-alls. They know everything about cruising. They know next to nothing about murder. But now they know everything about cruise ship murders! Everything from security response, to command protocols, law enforcement response, jurisdictional considerations all the way to crime scene clean up, trial procedures, even transportation of witnesses to the trial venue. It's amazing!

I can't speak for anyone else, but I actually do know a lot more about law enforcement, maritime jurisdiction, investigation and prosecution than I do about cruises. It's been my career for 24 years and I have 2 related degrees, so I guess I could be considered a subject matter expert. :)

I can't speak for anyone else, but I actually do know a lot more about law enforcement, maritime jurisdiction, investigation and prosecution than I do about cruises. It's been my career for 24 years and I have 2 related degrees, so I guess I could be considered a subject matter expert. :)

Of course you can. And it shows. I think, however, you would agree that you are the exception and not the rule. :)

I do when the murder happened 30 yards from me.

Many here have been on the Emerald, so it hits home.

Exactly. We have sailed on board the Emerald twice. The last time was two weeks before this incident and we were in a mini suite (Emerald deck) right below where this incident took place (Dolphin Deck).

I do a lot of trial watching, and have seen so many trials. So this one is on the radar. If it comes to stream I will watch it.

I do a lot of trial watching, and have seen so many trials. So this one is on the radar. If it comes to stream I will watch it.

I hope the guy pleads guilty just to spare his children and his wife's family from the anguishing details of the murder. Even though he's given the opportunity for a fair trial and found guilty by his peers, he could end all the hurt right now. That is what I am hoping for. No drama please.

I have been reading this thread and not commenting. I think we do follow more horrible crimes than we realize. The first crime I remember being interested in was John Kennedy's assassination. Then came the Sharon Tate murder. In recent years, I have followed the Ron Goldman/Nicole Simpson murders, the Kaley Anthony murder, and others. I have been drawn to follow them for different reasons. Kennedy because I was so young and was totally fascinated with JFK and his young family. Sharon Tate because I had moved to and was living in California shortly before this occurred. Ron Goldman because the accused had everything any American could dream of accomplishing. Kaley Anthony because I was (and I admit it) disgusted with the entire situation and some of the statements made by those who should have been sheltering and loving this little girl. The Manzanares case will be one I follow if it is publicized because I sail Princess frequently and during those cruises, the ship becomes my home away from home. I don't think that the interest shown in this case is isolated and occurring on a cruise ship doesn't make it excessively interesting. But that it occurred on a ship upon which I have sailed and on a cruise line that I exclusively sail, it has caught my attention.

I hope that the family heals to allow them to continue somewhat normal lives. For them, everything changed in the blink of an eye.