Murder on Emerald Princess

Aquahound

I served on a grand jury. We met one day a week for eight weeks. We sometimes heard 120+ cases in a day. Police officer, sheriff, drug agent, etc., read the police report and we were allowed to ask questions. When the officer, etc., left the room, we voted to either send to trial or dismiss. During my time in grand jury - we dismissed only one or two cases. There's really no discussion, just voting and majority rules. Hope that clarifies. I personally found serving on grand jury very interesting.
Supporting the old joke that a grand jury would indict a ham sandwich, if the prosecutor asked them to. :p

Has anyone heard anything about how the family is doing, especially the children? I just can't imagine how a child could handle the fact that her mother was killed by her father. So sad, and i hope the children are being well cared for by family, perhaps grandparents.

Has anyone heard anything about how the family is doing, especially the children? I just can't imagine how a child could handle the fact that her mother was killed by her father. So sad, and i hope the children are being well cared for by family, perhaps grandparents.

Their three daughters ranged in age from 13 to 21. While the 13 y/o might have a problem the other two are old enough to work though it. The oldest two are adults but I am sure get support from their extended family.

Their three daughters ranged in age from 13 to 21. While the 13 y/o might have a problem the other two are old enough to work though it. The oldest two are adults but I am sure get support from their extended family.

I think young adults, middle aged adults, and even old adults could very well have trouble processing such a personal tragedy. Think along the lines of PTSD. I don't know if these young girls are necessarily old enough to just "work through it". IMHO, of course.

I think young adults, middle aged adults, and even old adults could very well have trouble processing such a personal tragedy. Think along the lines of PTSD. I don't know if these young girls are necessarily old enough to just "work through it". IMHO, of course.

Thanks for the good thoughts.

I agree about PTSD.

I contemplated whether or not to start this thread because but I can't quote a news source yet, but from what I've been told by my professional contacts in the area, a woman was killed by her husband last night on board the ship. I'll pass more details as they become public. A press release was supposedly issued, so we should be seeing on-line news sources reporting very soon.

I was there. We were on that cruise which was the worst time I have ever had on a Princess cruise.

They made a final determination and we got the phone call last night that they would not do anything for the 3500 people that got there vacations ruined. No reimbursement, nothing. They gave everyone a $150 credit to be used against your shipboard account. Period.

I was there. We were on that cruise which was the worst time I have ever had on a Princess cruise.

They made a final determination and we got the phone call last night that they would not do anything for the 3500 people that got there vacations ruined. No reimbursement, nothing. They gave everyone a $150 credit to be used against your shipboard account. Period.

Let's see, here we have a ship that had approx. 3300 passengers on it when something occurred over which nobody on Princess had any control over the company provided almost half a million dollars ($495,000) back to all of the passengers that were onboard the ship and you consider that "no remuneration, nothing"? I'm sorry, but I just don't see it. I'm not really sure what you expect the company to do. I suspect that the vast majority of people on board the Emerald for that cruise other than hearing about what happened from others who were not directly involved with the incident, didn't know the people involved, didn't see or hear anything first hand and had no personal involvement whatsoever. What exactly would you expect the cruise line to provide to you for being on the ship when it occurred?

Tom

$150 was generous. Period.

Let's see, here we have a ship that had approx. 3300 passengers on it when something occurred over which nobody on Princess had any control over the company provided almost half a million dollars ($495,000) back to all of the passengers that were onboard the ship and you consider that "no remuneration, nothing"? I'm sorry, but I just don't see it. I'm not really sure what you expect the company to do. I suspect that the vast majority of people on board the Emerald for that cruise other than hearing about what happened from others who were not directly involved with the incident, didn't know the people involved, didn't see or hear anything first hand and had no personal involvement whatsoever. What exactly would you expect the cruise line to provide to you for being on the ship when it occurred?

Tom

Tom, Not sure what you mean. I was there, met the couple. Princess was responsible since they continued to serve the husband at the bar after he was verbally abusive. That all mighty bottom dollar mattered more.

I have cruised with Princess more than once. We had upgraded to a suite to be able to sit outside and watch the glacier go by. That never happened.

I am sorry for what the family went through, but what about all the people on that ship that had saved for a lifetime to see the glaciers???

Yes, under the circumstances I feel Princess should have done something more than $150 ship credit. It wasn't even a refundable credit. We got a call from Princess last night advising us that they would not be doing anything more for the passengers on that ship

We got a call from Princess last night advising us that they would not be doing anything more for the passengers on that ship

Totally appropriate in my opinion. Actually generous to even offer the $150 OBC. Your determination that somehow this was under Princess' control and therefore they hold some level of fault is absurd!

Tom, Not sure what you mean. I was there, met the couple. Princess was responsible since they continued to serve the husband at the bar after he was verbally abusive. That all mighty bottom dollar mattered more.

I have cruised with Princess more than once. We had upgraded to a suite to be able to sit outside and watch the glacier go by. That never happened.

I am sorry for what the family went through, but what about all the people on that ship that had saved for a lifetime to see the glaciers???

Yes, under the circumstances I feel Princess should have done something more than $150 ship credit. It wasn't even a refundable credit. We got a call from Princess last night advising us that they would not be doing anything more for the passengers on that ship

Shame on you....... :rolleyes:

I have been trying to think of something to say that will not get me banned. I cannot.

Enough said.

When someone is bludgeoned to death in a gruesome homicide, it really does ruin the feeling of what is supposed to be a carefree and lighthearted vacation. I think it would be very traumatic, and I empathize with passengers who do feel sad and traumatized, even though the circumstances were beyond the company's control. -- EBC

You are correct in most cases, however..........

To some.......this feeling would "go away" with the (wink wink) "right amount" of OBC. :rolleyes:

Well, let's spread the wealth around then. Since you believe that since the ship continued to "serve the husband alcohol at the bar after he became abusive" (a "fact" that I don't remember hearing, but which for the sake of this discussion I will assume to be the case) and are therefore responsible for the aftermath, that would also put some of the blame on other customers who were also present at that location and should have complained about the continued service of alcohol to the passenger to ships' personnel. Of course, if they had done that, the husband might have been so enraged about being cut off from his drinks, that he might have even gone further off the deep end and attacked and beaten other family members also.

Nope, I can't buy off on your viewpoint strictly from a common sense point of view. Princess in no way, from what I have heard so far, owes you nor any other passenger on that unfortunate voyage anything more than what they have already generously, to my way of thinking, provided. Offering more, financially or otherwise, makes no more sense to me than offering you a financial reward because you were shopping somewhere in a mall when some other person kills a family member at some other location in that mall.

One man's opinion.

Tom

Would you be wanting money if the weather had ben bad and you could not see or get close to the glaciers? I understand that happens quite often. I don't think they give OBC due to missed glacier.

WOW!! Just WOW! :mad:

Would you be wanting money if the weather had ben bad and you could not see or get close to the glaciers? I understand that happens quite often. I don't think they give OBC due to missed glacier.

Yep, you're right. I think that generally comes under the heading of "stuff happens." This was a more severe case of "stuff."

Tom

Originally posted by rhskins50 I was there. We were on that cruise which was the worst time I have ever had on a Princess cruise.

So, what do you believe you are entitled to from Princess? Were they the ones who instigated this murder? Were they directly involved in this and planned that you and the other 3500 passengers had a horrible cruise? I don't believe you and the others are entitled to anything. $150 ship board credit IMHO was quite generous of Princess, they didn't even have to do that.