Murder on Emerald Princess

Aquahound

The worst part is the daughter, who I believe was in the room, will have to testify against her father - heartbreaking.

When he waived the preliminary hearing to go the the Grand Jury I was thinking maybe he would plead guilty to save the daughters from having to testify and hearing the crime described, etc. Guess not.

I wonder if they're working on a plea bargain -ie take the death penalty off the table (if it's on - not sure) in exchange for a guilty plea with a life sentence.

When he waived the preliminary hearing to go the the Grand Jury I was thinking maybe he would plead guilty to save the daughters from having to testify and hearing the crime described, etc. Guess not.

I wonder if they're working on a plea bargain -ie take the death penalty off the table (if it's on - not sure) in exchange for a guilty plea with a life sentence.

Does anyone know the age of the daughter who was involved? Thinking she might be allowed to testify remotely, but not sure if that is allowed in a federal case. Possibly she is too old to be allowed to do that.

Does anyone know the age of the daughter who was involved? Thinking she might be allowed to testify remotely, but not sure if that is allowed in a federal case. Possibly she is too old to be allowed to do that.

Painful as it is to make children testify, unfortunately, they need to be brought in, as jurors need to hear from live witnesses. This is THE saddest thing about working in Court. Hopefully Daddi-O will plead and save the daughter from having to testify.

He won't plea guilty until a deal is in place with his lawyer - if you plea without it, you can be sentenced at will. Not guily is perfectly normal during negotiations, and while trial prep will start, the plea can be changed at any time when agreement is reached.

Again, unless there are issues with evidence collection, etc, I cannot imagine lawyers would want to go to trial in this case.

Painful as it is to make children testify, unfortunately, they need to be brought in, as jurors need to hear from live witnesses. This is THE saddest thing about working in Court. Hopefully Daddi-O will plead and save the daughter from having to testify.

Remote testimony is live - the witness just isn't in the courtroom, but I'm not sure what the requirements are for this type of testimony. I know it is made available to children under certain circumstances.

"Not guilty" is a pretty common plea in a high-profile case like this, and I'm sure he's doing on the advice of his lawyer.

This is 100% correct. Defendants rarely plead guilty. This allows time for discovery, plea deals, etc.

Remote testimony is live - the witness just isn't in the courtroom, but I'm not sure what the requirements are for this type of testimony. I know it is made available to children under certain circumstances.

Have never seen that happen in our jurisdiction in over 30 years for a murder case, whether adult or child witness. Every jurisdiction seems to handle things differently.

Earlier in this thread there was a lot of discussion about the $150 OBC offered to passengers.

I find it very interesting on how much variance there is in in compensation cases where ports are missed for reason outside the lines control.

Very recently Carnival had a 4 day cruise out of Mobile. On day 2 it was announced the ship was returning to Mobile due to a medical emergency. Turns out a husband was seriously stabbed in the neck by his wife. After the medical and police matters were handled in Mobile the ship sailed again but there was no time to get to any port so it just sailed around the Gulf of Mexico for a day+ and returned to Mobile. Carnival offered a full refund for anyone getting off the first time in Mobile or 50% refund and 50% off a future cruise for those staying on for the full cruise.

While there are differences, this is similar in some ways to the Princess murder situation and there is a vast difference in compensation.

At the opposite range of compensation, we were on a world cruise last year with Oceania -we missed 4 ports due to weather and 1 port due to kayakers taking over the port in a protest. We had 2 ports added so 3 missed of total number expected. We did not even get port fees back.

Very recently Carnival had a 4 day cruise out of Mobile. On day 2 it was announced the ship was returning to Mobile due to a medical emergency. Turns out a husband was seriously stabbed in the neck by his wife. After the medical and police matters were handled in Mobile the ship sailed again but there was no time to get to any port so it just sailed around the Gulf of Mexico for a day+ and returned to Mobile. Carnival offered a full refund for anyone getting off the first time in Mobile or 50% refund and 50% off a future cruise for those staying on for the full cruise.

While there are differences, this is similar in some ways to the Princess murder situation and there is a vast difference in compensation.

For the Carnival cruise, they missed going to the only port on the itinerary and in effect spent the first half of the cruise going out to sea and then back to port. Actually, the second half was spent the same way.

For the Princess cruise, six of the seven days were as scheduled. That is a big difference.

Actually, when the Emerald arrived in Juneau, everyone was required to remain in the cabins until the F.B.I. and police investigation was completed. So, no one was allowed to disembark in Juneau until 4 or 5 PM that afternoon. Therefore, all of the shore excursions -- sled dog rides, fishing raft trips, Mendenhall glacier excursion,salmon hatchery etc., were cancelled.

So -- the Emerald actually has five stops:

1. Ketchikan

2. Tracy Arm Fjord glaciers - cancelled

3. Juneau - excursions cancelled

4. Skagway

5. Victoria B.C.

So, two out of five of those stops were affected, or 40%. Even though that emergency was not the fault of Princess, just like the stabbing was not the fault of Carnival, it seems that Emerald passengers were hoping for some extra compensation, especially after the Princess announced that 25% of the cruise fare would be given as OBC for another cruise. Princess must have changed their minds about the portion of the cruise fare given as OBC towards a future cruise. ( just my opinion JMO). - EBC.

Why is everyone always so worried about compensation?!? The first question always seems to be "What do I get out of this?!?" It's ridiculous!!! Someone was murdered!!!

Actually, if you bother to read the thread, the first question was "Why is this homicide any of our business?" Which is a silly question.

Actually, when the Emerald arrived in Juneau, everyone was required to remain in the cabins until the F.B.I. and police investigation was completed. So, no one was allowed to disembark in Juneau until 4 or 5 PM that afternoon. Therefore, all of the shore excursions -- sled dog rides, fishing raft trips, Mendenhall glacier excursion,salmon hatchery etc., were cancelled.

Absolutely NOT TRUE!!!! Everyone was free to roam the ship all morning. Somewhere around lunch time, passengers in the area surrounding the cabin where the crime took place were asked to return to their cabins to be questioned. I believe it was 700-range cabins on the same side of the ship, decks 8, 9, 10. That's a relatively small fraction of the total cabins on board. Most people were free to roam the ship all day.

Weather was bad so all flight excursions were cancelled anyway. I don't remember about the rest, but some evening excursions may still have gone on as scheduled. We didn't have any excursions booked, so I don't know for sure.

In addition to the $150 OBC, we all received a future cruise credit equal to 25% of our cruise fare paid. I think that is very generous compensation.

My cruise was not ruined. :rolleyes:

I was there. We were on that cruise which was the worst time I have ever had on a Princess cruise.

They made a final determination and we got the phone call last night that they would not do anything for the 3500 people that got there vacations ruined. No reimbursement, nothing. They gave everyone a $150 credit to be used against your shipboard account. Period.

I was also on that cruise. I was on the same deck that the murder happened, and I tend to agree with you..

I think some things could have been handled better. .

I never got a phone call. Did you call them?

I was also on that cruise. I was on the same deck that the murder happened, and I tend to agree with you..

I think some things could have been handled better. .

I never got a phone call. Did you call them?

These are some interesting differences.....especially in light of what another person on the same cruise has just reported:

"In addition to the $150 OBC, we all received a future cruise credit equal to 25% of our cruise fare paid. I think that is very generous compensation."

So, what's up with that? Were the passengers given a future cruise credit equal to 25% of your cruise fare paid or not? If some, why not all? Interesting. Very interesting.

Toot-Toot!

Cheerio, Dearies!! :*

n addition to the $150 OBC, we all received a future cruise credit equal to 25% of our cruise fare paid. I think that is very generous compensation.

My cruise was not ruined. clear.png?emoji-roll-eyes-1744

Oh, okay Sherry. The poster who said that Princess called and offered $150 OBC and nothing else is the one who didn't mention the future cruise credit equal to 25% of the fare paid.

I was thinking this was the case -- that 25% cruise fare was given in the form of the OBC, but the poster who was concerned did not mention it.

So, that is really very generous, and there is no reason to discuss compensation any further, then.

Thank you, Sherry, for the clarification.

Oh, okay Sherry. The poster who said that Princess called and offered $150 OBC and nothing else is the one who didn't mention the future cruise credit equal to 25% of the fare paid.

I was thinking this was the case -- that 25% cruise fare was given in the form of the OBC, but the poster who was concerned did not mention it.

No. The 25% of cruise fare paid would be given as a credit to be used as part payment for a future Princess cruise. It is not OBC for either the current or a future cruise.

No. The 25% of cruise fare paid would be given as a credit to be used as part payment for a future Princess cruise. It is not OBC for either the current or a future cruise.

Yes --- got it ! I understood that it was to be used for a future cruise as part payment, but I wrote that the wrong way. I always thought of payments applied to future cruises as OBC, when in fact, that is not correct. Please excuse the error - new cruiser here, trying to get the terminology correct. - EBC