Holland America Bait and Switch

bobontheblue

Last week I got a message from HAL promoting the Amsterdam Experience. Two nights at a hotel of their choice, transfers, and an exclusive evening for HAL suite guests. First voyage up was the Iberian Adventure, Amsterdam to Rome Sept. 2018. Just happened to be the one we were booking, what luck. Told our agent to go ahead with the booking and register for the Amsterdam Experience.

We had the email and all the details in front of us, but you have to book direct with HAL. When the booking was looked into, we were informed, that the voyage we were booking did not qualify for that particular promo. Our agent could not find it in her system either, but there I was with it clearly on my Ipad. She said to the HAL rep what she was seeing, and the prices quoted for the suites. HALs response was, well we reserve the right to change any promo at any time we want. We asked for a supervisor, same response. They would give us the promo on another sailing at more than double the price, we passed.

Friday evening that particular sailing was still listed as offering the promo, BUT the price had gone up substantially. Not going to stop me from looking at Holland America as an option, but they have not done themselves any good will. My dollars can also take a vacation elsewhere.

è

I know the promo you are talking about OP. It was a nice deal if you could get it. Spaces were limited on sailings though IIRC. So, sadly, yes, HAL does reserve the right to remove the promo (and it was listed on that promo) once they have filled sufficient spots.

We don't have it because our ship arrives in Amsterdam instead of embarking there - but it certainly was a great perk especially with Amsterdam hotel pricing.

I am truly sorry you missed out.

It should be noted that the Snap Fares were "bare bones" and had non-refundable deposits. Now we're back to "normal" refundable fares so you would expect an increase. Explore 4 should kick off in a day or two, so you will really have something to analyze.

It should be noted that the Snap Fares were "bare bones" and had non-refundable deposits. Now we're back to "normal" refundable fares so you would expect an increase. Explore 4 should kick off in a day or two, so you will really have something to analyze.

That promo was available with the refundable, regular fares as well as the non refundable.

Edited to day - OP - I see that the promo is back on the HAL site now. Possibly they only had so many hotel rooms for each date available and your sailing date's hotels were all booked? BUT, IF YOUR SAILING WAS THE 26 DAY on the KONINGSDAM, that cruise is listed.

My mistake. I was under the impression that the Snap Fares had non-refundable deposits.

No mistake - you are totally correct. :) It's just this promotion that the OP is talking about was offered before snap fares made their appearance. So, it was available for both refundable and non refundable (aka Snap) fares.

I was probably not clear enough. When I said "that promo" I was referring to the one the OP was talking about. I should have been clearer. Apologies.

Although the SNAP fares were the ones shown on the HAL website, the refundable were still available as well - but, you had to call to get pricing or book them.

Not certain that 'bait and switch' claim is fair to HAL. They may have limited cabins. It is very possible that others either rec'd the information before you or opened it before you. Attractive offers can sell out in the space of an hour or hours if the space is limited.

This has happened to us on other cruise lines as well-several times.

But once, we were on the other side. I was on the phone booking a cabin with RCI in Australia. We had a cabin selected and had the price.

Halfway through the booking process the agent said....oh the cabin beside you just came available AND it is one that happens to be in the special discounted seniors fare pool. The saving was $800AUD total for moving down the hall one cabin. All the cabins on that apparently advertised special had sold out. We were not even aware of the special offer. This one was cancelled at the same time we were on the phone with an agent. IF we had not snapped it up at that moment the agent said that it would be gone in a flash.

Edited by iancal

Edited to day - OP - I see that the promo is back on the HAL site now. Possibly they only had so many hotel rooms for each date available and your sailing date's hotels were all booked? BUT, IF YOUR SAILING WAS THE 26 DAY on the KONINGSDAM, that cruise is listed.

Holland America's Signature Experiences webpage currently lists the 12-DAY IBERIAN ADVENTURE:

Vista Suite US$3,699 *

Signature Suite US$5,499 *

Neptune Suite US$6,499 *

[An online travel agent lists the lowest suite price as $2,627]

The 22-DAY IBERIAN ADVENTURES & MEDITERRANEAN DREAM is also listed:

Vista Suite US$7,299 *

Signature Suite US$10,499 *

Neptune Suite US$12,399*

Details:

"Complimentary for Suite Guests

"Signature Experiences are complimentary for guests who book a suite and available for purchase for all other stateroom categories. SPACE IS LIMITED. This offer cannot be booked online so call 1-877-SAIL-HAL (1-877-724-5425) or your Travel Professional today."

and more details:

"Terms & Conditions

*Signature Experience offers are based on promo HT. Offers are valid on suite bookings on select 2018 Europe sailings. Offer includes a two-night hotel stay in applicable city for 1st and 2nd guests. Some thirds sharing stateroom with first and second guests may also be eligible. Hotel accommodations will be determined by Holland America Line. Offer includes airport to hotel and hotel to ship transfers. Signature Experiences are available for purchase on other stateroom categories. For more information about our stateroom categories and suite descriptions, and to view deck plans and for full terms and conditions applicable to your cruise, please refer to hollandamerica.com or the appropriate Holland America brochure. Signature Experience offers are capacity controlled, and may be modified or withdrawn without prior notice. Offers are non-transferable or refundable. Other restrictions may apply. Ships' Registry: The Netherlands."

https://www.hollandamerica.com/pageByName/Resp.action?requestPage=2018Europe_SignatureExperiences

Sounds like others snapped up the offer before the OP. Capacity controlled offers aren't great for customers who miss out because they do lead to bad feelings.

Holland America was still advertising the offer 12 hours after the OP reported that it was denied to him.

Thank you everyone for the good advice. My problem was not the fact that it was capacity controlled, that I get. The point was HAL denied the fact that it was even being offered on that sailing and at the price clearly in my email as well as the official HAL website. They wanted to try another sailing at a greater cost. All fine and dandy. We as consumers chose not to take it.

Yet Friday evening it was still on the website and available, and it went up in price by over 2000.00 cdn.

Thank you everyone for the good advice. My problem was not the fact that it was capacity controlled, that I get. The point was HAL denied the fact that it was even being offered on that sailing and at the price clearly in my email as well as the official HAL website. They wanted to try another sailing at a greater cost. All fine and dandy. We as consumers chose not to take it.

Yet Friday evening it was still on the website and available, and it went up in price by over 2000.00 cdn.

Just curious if the offer was just not available to third party TA's and had to be booked directly with HAL?

To my understanding the Amsterdam Experience could only be done through HAL either by calling, or your agent calling on your behalf.

Once again I have always been pleased with HAL and the itineraries they offer, however it leaves a poor taste and distrust by the consumer. Who has every right to take their dollars elsewhere.

No harm , just a little foul.

I would take screen shots of the screen showing your preferred cruise on the listing of the Signature Experience and send that to your TA who should send it to HAL. Try to include the date and time on your computer in the screen shot. If it's on their website, they should honour it. The screen shot approach worked for me in a slightly similar situation. Good luck!

We find bait and switch common with some TA's. We post our desired cruise and cabin category on a site and then have TA's bid for our business.

We never bother with two of the agencies that always respond. Invariably, when they call they give us a song and dance about the cabin being sold out and then quote a higher price.