Caribbean Princess Technical problems will persist into NEXT YEAR

Corfe Mixture

There was a change quite a while ago. Curaco was removed and Grand Turk added......no OBC was offered. No e-mail was sent either. Wish they would give OBC as they replaced an E-ticket with a A ticket. (Wonder how many will know what that means.) :D

Heh... It's been quite a while since that made sense to most folks. We definitely know what it means though. ;p

We're booked on a 14 day Circle Caribbean for March 18. Haven't received any change notices. It seems they really should have a handle on this by now but it may require a major part and many of those aren't "off the shelf" items and can take quite a while to obtain. I certainly hope they get it fixed before March 18 but there's not much I can do about it if they make a change. At least I have the AIBP as a perk. We booked under the previous Sip and Sail last year. :cool:

Just sent my TA questions on this as we are on the Dec. 20th cruise. I can see the changes in my travel summary, but I'm not showing any OBC.

Additional OBC not showing on my travel summary either. I intend keeping the original travel summary and the latest as a paper trail in case someone tries to suggest that this additional OBC has been applied.

Could get complicated as I have yet to apply for my shareholders OBC and will also gift myself some additional OBC.

There was a change quite a while ago. Curaco was removed and Grand Turk added......no OBC was offered. No e-mail was sent either. Wish they would give OBC as they replaced an E-ticket with a A ticket. (Wonder how many will know what that means.) :D

Another Disney fan here so we totally get your reference! I believe I still have a few of those E tickets in a box somewhere. Planning to go on a few of what would be E ticket rides tomorrow in WDW if Disney were still using the same system. :cool:

What I don't know is why Princess doesn't seem to want to fix their ship. We do not cruise on her again until October 2018. Doesn't seem like there are any plans to get the repairs done before then at this point. Just because Princess CAN manage to operate the ship in her current condition doesn't mean they SHOULD. Deferred maintenence is just a big problem waiting to happen.

No, I'm not ready to cancel our cruise yet. We have really been looking forward to it. We still are. We were disappointed when we needed to move our sailing from October 2017 to October 2018 for reasons having absolutely nothing to do with the CB propulsion issues. I'm starting to think our date change may turn out to be a good thing rather than a bad one because at this point we still have plenty of time to wait and see what happens.

Interesting. We are booked in the Caribbean princess in January for a 14 day called Circle the Caribbean. We have not received any type of email. I will check cruise personalizer. Do you think the will the agents know about it if I call?

I am on this cruise as well. Will be interesting to see if we receive anything from Princess.

We are also booked on January 13 cruise. Having been to Caribbean so many times, I have no problem switching Curacao to Grand Turks. We have run out things to do in the Caribbean islands. Another beach day is just fine even without OBC.

We are on the CB in August 2018 for a b2b and have 2 changes in ports, one on each leg. One we were not told why the other we were told it was due to port overload so princess switched the ship to another port...no obc for us. But the contract does state that they can change ports at will....so while we were bummed initially as we already had stuff planned we wanted to do in those ports......we found neat stuff to do in the new ones that are now new to all of us as the ones that were removed were repeat ports...I am following just hoping she doesn't break as we are looking forward to this cruise a LOT!

Wish they would give OBC as they replaced an E-ticket with a A ticket. (Wonder how many will know what that means.) :D

I get it and I agree. Curacao and St. Maarten are Pirates of the Caribbean and Haunted Mansion compared to St. Thomas and Grand Turk which I would liken to The Mickey Mouse Review and Swan Boats respectively. (How's that for old school references). I would specifically select an itinerary because of St. Maarten or Curacao and conversely would begrudgingly accept an itinerary with Grand Turk. St. Thomas falls somewhere in the middle for me. Nothing wrong with it if you are adventurous and get out of the port areas.

You would think there would be some urgency in getting this problem fixed. At ~3,600 passengers and $50 per person in OBC, this is costing Princess $180,000 per cruise. Considering how many cruises are affected this adds up to real money.

They really should allow people to pull out without penalty if the ship has technical issues.

Personally if a cruise ship I was booked on had to be pulled from service to be repaired I would not mind the slightest. I would be more disturbed by an altered itinerary and cruise that could not be delivered in full.

That is just my opinion anyway.

They really should allow people to pull out without penalty if the ship has technical issues.

Personally if a cruise ship I was booked on had to be pulled from service to be repaired I would not mind the slightest. I would be more disturbed by an altered itinerary and cruise that could not be delivered in full.

That is just my opinion anyway.

I think Princess trying to avoid cancelling an entire cruise and causing a shipload of passengers to lose their cruise.

Technical issues in this case are not safety issues. And if the OBC is spent on (over priced) items on board, Princess is really not giving as much money in compensation as it would appear.

For cruises more than 75 days into the future, final payment has not occurred yet and you should be able to cancel at no penalty. If the booking was made with a non-refundable deposit, I would insist on a deposit refund as it is a Princess ship problem that caused you to cancel.

Compensation offered is $50 per person, in the form of refundable OBC, for all passengers, which in our case is substantially less than 1% of the cost of the cruise. Think I might contact Princess and point out that some folks are paying a lot more than others and see if I can get my compensation increaed!!

Are you saying your inconvenience / disappointment is greater then those who paid less?

I do know we are paying close attention to the threads about the CB for any signs of worsening issues. We have a Canal cruise booked for January and have not received any notices of itinerary changes as of yet. I will say I am looking around at other cruises and land vacations just to be ready in case we cancel.

Here's the analogy I used when talking to my wife about the issues. If you were driving down the highway and all of the sudden you could not go faster than 45 mph wouldn't you get off at the next exit and take your car in to be fixed?

I do know we are paying close attention to the threads about the CB for any signs of worsening issues. We have a Canal cruise booked for January and have not received any notices of itinerary changes as of yet. I will say I am looking around at other cruises and land vacations just to be ready in case we cancel.

Here's the analogy I used when talking to my wife about the issues. If you were driving down the highway and all of the sudden you could not go faster than 45 mph wouldn't you get off at the next exit and take your car in to be fixed?

You'd pull off and find out what's wrong. If you found out that you needed a part which had to be special ordered and an expert to install it who wasn't available until next month, would you stop driving your car if the only issue was you couldn't go above 45?

I don't take any highways to work or to the grocery store. I would have no issue driving the car.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Because taking a ship the size of Caribbean Princess into an unscheduled drydock is just like taking your car in for a service call?

You'd pull off and find out what's wrong. If you found out that you needed a part which had to be special ordered and an expert to install it who wasn't available until next month, would you stop driving your car if the only issue was you couldn't go above 45? Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

What if your "car" had just come out a scheduled dry dock that apparently cost over $7 million, and the propulsion issue (which supposedly has been occurring since before 2010) wasn't dealt with?

What if your "car" had just come out a scheduled dry dock that apparently cost over $7 million, and the propulsion issue (which supposedly has been occurring since before 2010) wasn't dealt with?
Where in all of the details of the refurbishment is it mentioned that they were looking at the propulsion issue. And considering that they sailed for a couple months after the refurbishment at full speeds, tells me this may be a new issue.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Are you saying your inconvenience / disappointment is greater then those who paid less?

Yawn!!!

No, I don't think I said that, but I would make the observation that if I spend $200 in a restaurant and enjoy the meal, I would, quite correctly, be expected to tip more than someone who had obtained just as much pleasure from their $40 meal.

You seem to be suggesting that if he gave a 15% tip of $6, because we both got the same enjoyment from our meal, I should only tip 3%.

Or have I missed something?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My brother works for Princess and states dry dock will be Nov26th to Nov30

Well, we are booked on the November 30, 2017 Panama Canal Cruise out of Fort Lauderdale, and a few days ago, we received the email from Princess that the CB was altering the itinerary due to "technical difficulties" and that we would receive the aforementioned $50 OBC. So, I don't think Princess is expecting to fix the problem during a drydock from November 26-30.