Caribbean Princess Technical problems will persist into NEXT YEAR

Corfe Mixture

Yawn!!!

No, I don't think I said that, but I would make the observation that if I spend $200 in a restaurant and enjoy the meal, I would, quite correctly, be expected to tip more than someone who had obtained just as much pleasure from their $40 meal.

You seem to be suggesting that if he gave a 15% tip of $6, because we both got the same enjoyment from our meal, I should only tip 3%.

Or have I missed something?

You are in the same boat as everyone else in their disappointment. You still have the same cabin at a price you liked when you booked it. It's not about ship amenities it's about a missed port and compensation isn't based on a percentage.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You are in the same boat as everyone else in their disappointment. You still have the same cabin at a price you liked when you booked it. It's not about ship amenities it's about a missed port and compensation isn't based on a percentage.

Considering our Panama Canal cruise is November 20-30th, I hope your brother is mistaken.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Sorry I gave him the wrong ship name. The Island Princess is the ship that is going in to dry dock.

You'd pull off and find out what's wrong. If you found out that you needed a part which had to be special ordered and an expert to install it who wasn't available until next month, would you stop driving your car if the only issue was you couldn't go above 45?

I don't take any highways to work or to the grocery store. I would have no issue driving the car.

Interesting response to the analogy. At this point we don't know why there is a delay in fixing the technical issue. Whether it be getting a place in line for a dry dock or if it isn't a safety issue can the ship still provide a viable cruise itinerary and contribute to the financial operation of the fleet.

If all the itineraries for this ship in it's current condition were originally presented as they are now constructed, there wouldn't be any griping. The ship is still doing it's scheduled days at sea and the changes reflect a routing that allows a slower speed to get to the next port at a reasonable time.

I am sure at some point the mechanical issue will get fixed. I am booked for Feb 2019; if its fixed all is good; if not; we will deal with any changes. No problem. Going on Rock and Roll cruise on this ship. So plan on having fun no matter what.

Even bigger Yawn!!!

You seem to be reading an awful lot from a sentence which is basically "Think I will contact Princess.....and see if I can get my compensation increased".

It was a throwaway remark in a post intended to pass information. As we say... if you don't ask, you don't get and there is no harm in asking.....

Everyone and anyone can ask for more and each can construct their own rationale for deserving more.

Some requests will be more sustainable than others, but please don't read more into my throwaway remark than I intended. I may or may not make the request. If I do and it works fine. If it does not, as you say, I haven't really lost out compared with others on the cruise.

Finished yawning. Now putting the subject to bed, though no problem if you want the last word.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What if your "car" had just come out a scheduled dry dock that apparently cost over $7 million, and the propulsion issue (which supposedly has been occurring since before 2010) wasn't dealt with?

Do you know for a fact that the "propulsion issue" ( a term very loosely tossed around here on CC) is the same issue that happened in 2010, or at any subsequent time? I say that the term is loosely tossed around, because like your car, but to a greater extent, the "propulsion system" is composed of thousands of individual components, failure of any one of which could become a "propulsion issue". Continuing with the car analogy, lets say that 7 years ago your car had a problem with the O2 sensor, causing it to run poorly at high speed. You took it in to the garage, and they fixed it. Great. Now, you suddenly cannot go above 45 miles an hour because the servo on your cruise control (which controls the throttle), has failed. Do you blame the manufacturer for not fixing this servo 7 years ago, when it was working fine? Do you blame the mechanic?

Let's take this to the extreme. Suppose 7 years ago, you needed an entire engine rebuild, that cost a couple of thousand bucks. Now, when the throttle servo fails, do you say, but I paid all this money for a rebuilt engine, they should have taken the entire throttle assembly, the control computer, and everything else that could possibly fail and replace it then for that much money?

The classification societies that act as insurance underwriters for the maritime industry audit every ship's planned maintenance program, look at unexpected failures, determine whether the maintenance intervals need to be changed, and conduct the surveys in the drydock, to determine whether the ship is going to cost the insurance club a bunch of money due to "deferred" or "poor" maintenance ( a couple of other terms tossed around on CC).

Question for Chengkp: while I agree with your logic about being nearly impossible to have preemptively dealt with this latest issue, do you find it unusual that neither Lloyd's or the flag state are not requiring repairs to be conducted more quickly?

Question for Chengkp: while I agree with your logic about being nearly impossible to have preemptively dealt with this latest issue, do you find it unusual that neither Lloyd's or the flag state are not requiring repairs to be conducted more quickly?

If a part is not available, then repairs cannot be made right away, and not all items are "stock" items that the equipment manufacturer keeps in stock, as this represents wasted revenue.

I don't know if the ship is classed by Lloyd's or another of the class societies. If the failure does not affect the sea-worthiness of the vessel, class will normally give a period of time for the repairs to be carried out, based on information that the shipowner supplies, like how soon a part can be available. Many times, repairs are deferred to the "next scheduled" drydock.

And before anyone asks, no, a reduced capacity of one of two propulsion systems does not affect the sea-worthiness of the vessel. Any ship with even one propulsion system operating (as 95% of the world's ships only have one propulsion system) is considered to be seaworthy. So, no, it is not unusual for a repair to be deferred for many months, depending on what the reasons for the deferral are.

We are also booked on January 13 cruise. Having been to Caribbean so many times, I have no problem switching Curacao to Grand Turks. We have run out things to do in the Caribbean islands. Another beach day is just fine even without OBC.

We are also on the Jan 13 cruise, but we are lucky that our first and last island we visit is fairly close to Ft Lauderdale and there is a day at sea for travel. Other islands during the trip should be easily reached at lower speeds anyway. Looks like our cruise can be done easily without any other unforeseen issues and island changes.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are also on the Jan 13 cruise, but we are lucky that our first and last island we visit is fairly close to Ft Lauderdale and there is a day at sea for travel. Other islands during the trip should be easily reached at lower speeds anyway. Looks like our cruise can be done easily without any other unforeseen issues and island changes.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Ditto above!

Looking forward to cruising with you on January 13th! :D

LuLu

chengkp: thank you for your very interesting and well informed updates on this matter.

I agree with chengkp75. What I have said on other threads regarding this "issue" is that if the ship wasn't sea worthy, it wouldn't sail. There is the process of having the ship in condition for a safe return to port and the redundancies built in provide that level of safety and security. It will be interesting to learn what exactly is causing the technical issue resulting in a small level of top operating speed on one of the systems and what is involved in the fix. The current method is picking ports with shorter runs that can be made to arrive at appropriate times.

Our upcoming B2B on the Caribbean Princess has had port adjustments to accommodate the speed situation. The first booking is a TA and we aren't concerned even in light of the fact it is still during hurricane season.

I think the big question will be - which cruise gets cancelled in 2018 to accommodate the dry dock?

yeah and we are all praying not mine but sadly someone's will have to be canceled...sucks all around. too bad it couldn't do a multiple day stay or something...say if they got the dry dock in the Bahamas..use it as a hotel like celebrity does when it stays in Bermuda 3 days. I know there are sooo many logistical things that are wrong with that wish....ah but to wish and dream so no one would have to lose out on a cruise.

I am interested in reading just what the average cruising speed is with the engine problem reducing the top speed.

Can someone who just returned report what the log of the Cruise reported the average speed was for their trip?

Princess has not posted what new reduced speed will be in any of their messages that state due to reduced speed changes will be made in ports to visit.

Bob

We just completed two British Isles cruises back to back. The speeds we traveled each day were variable. The slowest was 10 knots. The fastest was 18.9 knots. Distance, weather, tides, port schedules can all have a bearing on the speed the ship must travel.

And before anyone asks, no, a reduced capacity of one of two propulsion systems does not affect the sea-worthiness of the vessel. Any ship with even one propulsion system operating (as 95% of the world's ships only have one propulsion system) is considered to be seaworthy. So, no, it is not unusual for a repair to be deferred for many months, depending on what the reasons for the deferral are.

Thank you for this explanation. We are on the 14 day Circle Caribbean cruise beginning Oct. 7th. Not the least bit worried about the ship not being able to sail. The $50 OBC was great from Princess. But even if they didn't give us anything, we are still visiting 9 ports, so in my humble opinion, we are still getting what we paid for.

Considering our Panama Canal cruise is November 20-30th, I hope your brother is mistaken.

Thank you for this explanation. We are on the 14 day Circle Caribbean cruise beginning Oct. 7th. Not the least bit worried about the ship not being able to sail. The $50 OBC was great from Princess. But even if they didn't give us anything, we are still visiting 9 ports, so in my humble opinion, we are still getting what we paid for.

Have you seen the OBC yet? There isn't any on my Cruise Personalizer yet.