Packing advice. Roll, fold or stack please?

Look at bundle wrapping. You want things tight because shifting causes wrinkles.

I do a variety of things, depends on the materials. Some things I'll roll, DH's shirts I'll fold then lace in a packing folder. Sometimes I'll have his shirts on hangars and do an odd bundle packing with those (we don't use our suiter too often).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I use a hybrid. Most items are rolled and organized in packing cubes to minimize shifting. Jackets, pants, dress shirts, and dresses are bundled, often with drycleaner bags or tissue paper to help minimize wrinkling. The packing cubes and other loose items (like shoes-always in protective shoe bags) go in the middle of the bundle.

We fold. We do not pack our bag too tightly. We travel with carry on only. Does not matter if the trip is one week or ten weeks.

We travel frequently so we buy clothes that travel well. Light, wrinkle resistant, and layered. A pair of shoes on our feet, one pair in the bag plus a pair of extremely light Teva sandals.

At the end of each trip as we unpack we take note of anything we did not wear or only wore infrequently. Next trip it stays home. Works for us.

I know a lot of people like to roll their clothes, but I found that results in more wrinkles. I lay my items unfolded in layers in my suitcase and then just transfer them to the drawers in the stateroom. They stay pretty much unwrinkled. I fill up the suitcase (not overfill) and always fasten the straps inside the case. So far I've had pretty good luck with this, and things stay the way I put them, even after handling by airlines, etc. Some items like long pants will require one fold, but most do not need folding at all.

I leave everything hanging in my closet until the last minute. I take about six hangers and place the hanger into the suitcase with the clothes draping over. I tuck in all the sleeves, then gently fold the lower part of the clothes into the suitcase. I repeat until all the hanging clothes are packed. Then I take the gallon zip lock bags into which I have put undies, socks, bras, pajamas , and place them on the sides, and in the second half of a two part suitcase. Shoes are wedged between the edge and the zip lock bags, along with any other heavy items. When I get to the ship I put shoes on the shelves, bags in the drawers, and hangers in the closet. Both packing and unpacking are quick.

I have found that rolling takes the least amount of space. For those garments that do wrinkle when rolled, a nice steam shower removes most of the wrinkles.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Exactly what we find that works also

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I learn about packing cubes and rolling from this forum and I bought some packing cubes for my next cruise in 2018. But I had to travel last month so I thought I would test them out. OMG they are so amazing. Not only most of my clothes did not need ironing.. they are just so easy to use at the hotel room. I just take the cubes out and put them into drawers (drawers I never use before). You take out what you need and everything stays in place.

Bundling only works if you are not staying elsewhere before or after your cruise. You need to unpack everything when you bundle.

I like rolling and using packing cubes.

Not so. You put those clothes on top.

I fold but minimally -- only as much as is required to fit the item in my bag. I don't use any type of bag or folder. Keeping layers level and not over or under packing are the tricks.

I've packed this way for 40 years and rarely do I have any wrinkled items -- it helps that I leave most items prone to wrinkling at home.

Bundling only works if you are not staying elsewhere before or after your cruise. You need to unpack everything when you bundle.

I like rolling and using packing cubes.

Not true - you can make more than one bundle