Brexit and cruising?

Eglesbrech

In years gone by we gave our passport details at embarkation to P&O and then they rarely if ever came out of the safe again. We only ever needed our cruise card.

On more recent cruises within the EU we have been told every day to take passports with us and this year they have actually been checked for the first time in my cruising experience, which caused hold ups.

The queues were as nothing compared to the 4 hour queues at passport control reported in the news at airports in the last week. Increased security is having an impact.

In addition to this how will Brexit impact on crusiing? Even more queues, higher prices as the Pound continues to fall against the euro or are there benefits?

Unless a special deal is agreed I would think that visas or ESTAS or similar will be the order of the day. I would presume that there would be a passport check at the first EU port of call and hopefully no more but each country might insist on its own passport check. Think of the time to process a couple of thousand passengers at each port :eek:

We will just have to wait and see.

We only saw one large queue in May and that was in La Rochelle where security was very tight. We took passports ashore and bags and passports and cruise cards were checked before we went through to the ship. To be honest I have no problem with this at all - I think that Europe is on red alert and the French have had their share of sorrow over the last 12 months and are just ensuring that we are safe.

Re Brexit - really does not bother me at all and I can't see any major problems. Security etc and checks doesn't seem to affect the Americans and Canadians we have cruised with in the past.

The law in Barcelona says tourists must carry their passports or countries official ID card regardless of any EU considerations ( not that many people bother in reality). I expect a few other places have similar laws. Cruise ships visit many non EU countries without issue.

I would imagine that it is going to be very similar to now as once you are on the ship you have essentially been " checked". Americans require visas but I don't think they run into many issues on cruise ships in EU ports.

No issues whatsoever in Portugal, Spain, France, Monaco, Italy, Sardinia or Gibraltar last week - at the same time as we watched the news bulletins on the cabin TV about 4 hour waits at airports. Doesn't bode well for fly cruises, but round trips from Southampton OK at present. I shall avoid the temptation to enter the Brexit debate as half of us will have a strong view one way and half of us the other!

There were queues at La Rochelle but that was to get back on the ship??Quite happy to let everyone off. These were for everyone not just UK.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

In years gone by we gave our passport details at embarkation to P&O and then they rarely if ever came out of the safe again. We only ever needed our cruise card.

On more recent cruises within the EU we have been told every day to take passports with us and this year they have actually been checked for the first time in my cruising experience, which caused hold ups.

The queues were as nothing compared to the 4 hour queues at passport control reported in the news at airports in the last week. Increased security is having an impact.

In addition to this how will Brexit impact on crusiing? Even more queues, higher prices as the Pound continues to fall against the euro or are there benefits?

From a personal point of view.

The EU Countries become true Duty Free Zones to non EU residents. Duduct/Reclaim all local duties and taxes on goods purchased on shore, just as Americans etc do in the U.K.

In precis, they (EU countries) become another "Gibralter".

None of this is anything to do with Brexit, at least not directly. For one thing, Brexit hasn't happened yet, and for another, when it does happen there's no reason why passport rules will change - we were never in the Schengen agreement anyway.

This particular passport check is officially because of the threat of terrorism, though there is always the suspicion that it might be a sort of "revenge" for the Brexit vote. I doubt it will lead to ESTAs and visas, though.

There were queues at La Rochelle but that was to get back on the ship??Quite happy to let everyone off. These were for everyone not just UK.

I would like to think that they were looking after us.

There was a sign on the ship saying what security alert it was - which we have never seen before.

To be honest though, we don't mind at all as long as they want to keep everyone safe.

None of this is anything to do with Brexit, at least not directly. For one thing, Brexit hasn't happened yet, and for another, when it does happen there's no reason why passport rules will change - we were never in the Schengen agreement anyway.

This particular passport check is officially because of the threat of terrorism, though there is always the suspicion that it might be a sort of "revenge" for the Brexit vote. I doubt it will lead to ESTAs and visas, though.

It is a Shengen thing, the UK, Irish Republic, Romania, Bulgaria, Croatia and Cyprus are in the EU but not Shengen. Iceland, Norway, Switzerland and Leichtenstein are in Shengen but not the EU.

For clarification what sort of hoops do cruisers from say the USA, Canada, Australia and New Zealand have to jump through to enter the EU?

We only saw one large queue in May and that was in La Rochelle where security was very tight. We took passports ashore and bags and passports and cruise cards were checked before we went through to the ship. To be honest I have no problem with this at all - I think that Europe is on red alert and the French have had their share of sorrow over the last 12 months and are just ensuring that we are safe.

Re Brexit - really does not bother me at all and I can't see any major problems. Security etc and checks doesn't seem to affect the Americans and Canadians we have cruised with in the past.

A few years ago, long before Brexit etc was envisaged we had real hassle at La Rochelle. We were there overnight. Day 1 checked copy of passports. No problem. Day 2 big problem even after telling them it was ok the day before. Showed travel cards as well and were eventually and reluctantly allowed to board.

From a personal point of view.

The EU Countries become true Duty Free Zones to non EU residents. Duduct/Reclaim all local duties and taxes on goods purchased on shore, just as Americans etc do in the U.K.

In precis, they (EU countries) become another "Gibralter".

That's an interesting point. Gibraltar and the likes of Guesnsey may lose business as there will be no need to go into them to be outwith the EU, it may make for more interesting ports of call for a change.

We have saved quite a bit by getting tax back on purchases in Norway in the past so as this will extend, there is at least one positive.

On another unrelated point I did make a distinction in the initial post between the current impact of increased security and the potential future impact of Brexit.

We have been to Venice many times however its been at least 2 or 3 years since we last visited but the passport checks are defiantly a change. Checks never happened in the past there or anywhere else in the EU other than on initial entry.

We are currently subject to an 18% EU/Maltese sales tax which comes off Thursday as we go to Albania. It's a bit odd as we booked for two weeks but they are treating it as two cruises even though it's got one cruise number so my aftershave purchase has been put on hold.

For clarification what sort of hoops do cruisers from say the USA, Canada, Australia and New Zealand have to jump through to enter the EU?

On a recent Princess Scandinavian cruise ALL NON EU passport holders (which will be us soon) spent a long time having passports checked and queuing for face to face immigration interviews.

I'm hoping that things go on more or less as normal.

I avoid the USA because of the long queues to get in, paperwork etc. I just hope that Europe does not become the same.

Good afternoon Eaglsbrech.

I wouldn't worry too much about prices, this is only temporary.

The GBP was actually over valued and the international banking community are hedging their bets.

Once we have cleared Brexit Sterling will rise and the Europeans will be desperate to get their hands on our cash on port visits.

On the subject of entry to the USA, its simply a matter of a bit of homework. At their airports they now have the same machines as we do here.

We are currently subject to an 18% EU/Maltese sales tax which comes off Thursday as we go to Albania. It's a bit odd as we booked for two weeks but they are treating it as two cruises even though it's got one cruise number so my aftershave purchase has been put on hold.

It is because a cruise isn't a cruise but a journey by ship.

Week one you did a journey from Malta to Malta. Week two you do another Malta to Malta trip. You don't do a two week Malta to Malta with a stop back at the beginning in the middle as it makes no sense.

Lets cut out the political opinion stuff and stick to cruising issues

The OP asked how would Brexit impact on cruising. Brexit is all about politics so we can't really discuss it in isolation. Sorry.

If you read the doom mongers in the national press and the BBC none of us will be able to afford to cruise anyway and it won't be long before P&O start retiring ships. Realistically we will notice little difference imo though there will probably be a few difficult years until things settle in. Might well be some cruise bargains, who knows.

David

Now that there is now an equal like for like for the euro against the £ I am sure it will have an effect on those that cruise in the Euro area. They will either cut down spending when ashore, cut down on onboard spending to cover extra costs when in ports or they will perhaps in a minority decide not to cruise and perhaps holiday in the UK.

Now that there is now an equal like for like for the euro against the £ I am sure it will have an effect on those that cruise in the Euro area. They will either cut down spending when ashore, cut down on onboard spending to cover extra costs when in ports or they will perhaps in a minority decide not to cruise and perhaps holiday in the UK.

I think that you will find the pound recovering somewhat once the dust settles.

Brian