Luminae or Not?

Mythbuster

It doesn't matter whether the dining rooms are close together, but whether the kitchens are. On M-class all three kitchens are adjacent, so Luminae waiters can easily pick up something from any of the three. I haven't had a galley tour on S-class so don't know how that works.

We were on a galley tour yesterday. If you are in Luminae, and :(you give them 24 hours notice, they can prepare food from other restaurants. Note the 24 hour before hand notice. Items from the MDR menu may be less trouble for your waiter, but unless you order in advance, they may not be as hot or as good as they could be. Luminae does have an independent kitchen.

We will be going on Summit soon and usually go straight to the Buffet after getting on the ship. We have never been on the Summit and was told by the on-shore concierge that we should go to the Luminae for lunch on embarkation day rather than the Oceanview. Just wondering if anyone has any opinions about which would be better.

Also, I have read the official view of what is appropriate attire for Chic nights but "wearing whatever you feel comfortable" is too vague. Do people really wear any level of dress-up and feel comfortable? Is a sports jacket with no tie ok?

No sport jacket is also okay.

We were on a galley tour yesterday. If you are in Luminae, and :(you give them 24 hours notice, they can prepare food from other restaurants. Note the 24 hour before hand notice. Items from the MDR menu may be less trouble for your waiter, but unless you order in advance, they may not be as hot or as good as they could be. Luminae does have an independent kitchen.

Thanks this is a good tip.

Burger was delicious but last month it was not advertised as KOBE BEEF.

I've never seen it advertised as Kobe beef. I'm sure if it was the real thing (unlikely) they'd let people know. But yeah, great burger. Very filling! But great.

Hope you enjoyed your trip. :)

No sport jacket is also okay.

We were on the Summit last month. We went to the Luminae for lunch when we got on the ship and then later went to the Buffet for an afternoon snack. There was no comparison, the Luminae was far superior to the Buffet. We never went back to the Buffet.

I heard a lot about the Kobe burger in the Luminae so I couldn't wait to try it. I was very disappointed. The burger was very good quality beef but they put so much herbs in the meat that it took away from the taste of the Kobe meat.

The Luminae was closed on the 1st 2 days in port but was opened the last day in port.

Is Luminae open for lunch? Does it open later than the buffet? Thank you.

On our past sailings Luminae is open for lunch on embarkation day as well as sea days. I can't recall the lunch hours. It is also open for breakfast and dinner every day.

we were just on Eclipse and on a port day in the canarries (Lanzarotte) where the ship left port at 2pm. on our return to the ship after our shore excursion I was surprised but very happy to find that Luminae and the MDR were both open for lunch:cool:

I mentioned this to Jamie the hotel dirrector at dinner the next night, expressing my pleasure. He explained that as the ships departure was crossing lunch he had made a short notice decision to open the resturaunts as it would have been hard for any of the guests to have lunch in port. He said he had been pleased by the reaction and hoped to repeat the gesture if the same situation arose again on future cruises.

You can request a table at Blu but I don't think you can get items from the Blu menu in Luminae

Our experiences as Suite guests ...

- have been able to dine in BLU (space available basis - we don't dine at peak times, so never an issue)

- have been able to order MDR items in Luminae (we are Vegetarians, so yes we do ...)

- have not been able to order BLU items in Luminae (Summit, M-Class)

- have been able to order special requests (see Vegetarian note above).

Heather

I heard a lot about the Kobe burger in the Luminae so I couldn't wait to try it. I was very disappointed. The burger was very good quality beef but they put so much herbs in the meat that it took away from the taste of the Kobe meat.

FYI Celebrity does NOT have Kobe beef (regardless of how they title the dish on the menu). Kobe beef costs approximately $30/ounce (so would be $240 in food cost for an eight-ounce burger), is EXTREMELY rare outside of Japan (in the US only around a dozen restaurants have it) and is NEVER used as a burger (far too fatty). Some of Celebrity's restaurants use an "American Kobe style beef blend" (i.e. mystery meat - this term has is simply marketing and has no actual meaning regarding the type or quality of the beef) and then Celebrity sadly refers to this mystery meat as "Kobe." This practice is illegal for a US restaurant (a few venues in recent years were successfully sued under the guise of false advertising - now in the US some restaurants/stores call items "Kobe Style" or "American Kobe" but not just "Kobe beef" anymore). About time Celebrity stops this false advertising!

FYI Celebrity does NOT have Kobe beef (regardless of how they title the dish on the menu). Kobe beef costs approximately $30/ounce (so would be $240 in food cost for an eight-ounce burger), is EXTREMELY rare outside of Japan (in the US only around a dozen restaurants have it) and is NEVER used as a burger (far too fatty). Some of Celebrity's restaurants use an "American Kobe style beef blend" (i.e. mystery meat - this term has is simply marketing and has no actual meaning regarding the type or quality of the beef) and then Celebrity sadly refers to this mystery meat as "Kobe." This practice is illegal for a US restaurant (a few venues in recent years were successfully sued under the guise of false advertising - now in the US some restaurants/stores call items "Kobe Style" or "American Kobe" but not just "Kobe beef" anymore). About time Celebrity stops this false advertising!

Just recently returned from a cruise on Summit. We had lunch in Luminae a few times- great as usual. On the menu, the Luminae Signature Burger did not refer to Kobe beef at all. You can check the Luminae lunch menu yourself with google images. Celebrity did use the term Kobe beef on the menu in the short-lived Top Deck Burger Bar on Constellation - but that is another story!

Just recently returned from a cruise on Summit. We had lunch in Luminae a few times- great as usual. On the menu, the Luminae Signature Burger did not refer to Kobe beef at all. You can check the Luminae lunch menu yourself with google images. Celebrity did use the term Kobe beef on the menu in the short-lived Top Deck Burger Bar on Constellation - but that is another story!

They also unfortunately falsely advertise "Kobe beef" in Qsine (meatball dish) and S-Class Sushi on 5 (sliders).

Drop off any carry ons in Michaels Club for safekeeping, and head to Luminae, eat, drink and have a great cruise! Just love the fact that there is no waiting for seats, the food is great, service superb, great wine and so worth splurging out and spending the kids inheritance! [emoji6][emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The food in luminae is mixed. My DH ordered a sandwich when we last went on the summit in August. It was bacon and not cooked. We had to send it back. Other food fair to very good. One good thing is that you can also ask for the MDR menu which is sometimes better. We had a bad experience as many families with very young children making noise and running around were in luminae so we mostly ate in specialty restaurants. I have no idea why the parents of these kids wouldn’t remove them from the restaurant so people could enjoy dinner. We love kids, have four of our own and 9 grandchildren.

My DH and I dress up regardless of which restaurant we dine in on chic nights. I do not wear gowns anymore but cocktail attire, he wears a shirt tie and jacket. You will see mixed dress attire in all venues now. So wear what you think would be appropriate for a cocktail party.

Edited by Cruise a holic

The food in luminae is mixed. My DH ordered a sandwich when we last went on the summit in August. It was bacon and not cooked. We had to send it back. Other food fair to very good. One good thing is that you can also ask for the MDR menu which is sometimes better. We had a bad experience as many families with very young children making noise and running around were in luminae so we mostly ate in specialty restaurants. I have no idea why the parents of these kids wouldn’t remove them from the restaurant so people could enjoy dinner. We love kids, have four of our own and 9 grandchildren.

My DH and I dress up regardless of which restaurant we dine in on chic nights. I do not wear gowns anymore but cocktail attire, he wears a shirt tie and jacket. You will see mixed dress attire in all venues now. So wear what you think would be appropriate for a cocktail party.

Wow you must have been extremely unlucky. After 49 nights in there so far I've never seen one child, let alone "many families"!

My only real disappointment with Luminae is the seafood brochet which has to be one of the most boring dishes on the entire ship!

Wow you must have been extremely unlucky. After 49 nights in there so far I've never seen one child, let alone "many families"!

My only real disappointment with Luminae is the seafood brochet which has to be one of the most boring dishes on the entire ship!

I think the fact that we sailed in August to Bermuda, attracted many families. This was the first time that we have experienced this- we have been on the Summit 7 times, including August, and about 45 other Celebrity cruises this was a first. I think that specials were going on the week we sailed that made it attractive to many multi generational families. Dumb luck as they say! Never had a problem on Royal or any other line either.