Rude guests at Officers Q and A? Does it often happen?

Velvetwater

- There's always a whiner - policy change, did not get his bottle of wine, whatever

- Questions can be rough after a high profile cruise ship problem

- Itinerary changes, skipped ports, etc.

Last October we were on the Bermuda Cruise that went to Port Canaveral and Nassau just after each was hit by a hurricane. It was a less than satisfying cruise... but you would have thought people had just sacrificed their first born.

It hurts when they communicate poorly. Right up until they had us all boarded, NCL talked about everything going as planned. Those of us who are weather savvy quietly told people they should expect a major change - all week leading to departure day. Right after everyone was boarded, they announced we would stay in NY overnight, and not go to Bermuda, and ports would be announced enroute. People felt tricked. More than 50 got off before we sailed with no compensation offered, told they could only take it up with the head office!

It happens all the time, and this is why the officers, particularly the deck and engine officers, positively hate the Q&A's. I remember one Latitudes reception, and this boob comes up to the Staff Captain, and says "so you're a Captain wanna-be?". I had to put a hand on Staff's arm to keep him from throwing the glass of seltzer in this guy's face.

Excuse my ignorance, but from what I am reading it seems that this the navy equivalent of the executive officer? Is that correct?

Excuse my ignorance, but from what I am reading it seems that this the navy equivalent of the executive officer? Is that correct?

The Staff Captain is the second in command of the ship, like an executive officer, but is also a fully qualified and licensed Captain. While in the navy, the XO might not have the experience or the rank to be a CO, the Staff Captain has the license from the flag state to be a Captain in his own right, but is serving as Staff Captain.

Cruise ships are unique like this, having two fully qualified Captains onboard at all times, as well as two fully qualified Chief Engineers. Many Staff Captains and Staff Chief Engineers have served as Captain and Chief previously.

The rudest behavior I've seen in a captain's Q&A was on the Queen Victoria with Captain Inger Klein Thorhauge, who happens to be a woman. Most of the audience treated her with the same respect they would have used towards her male counterparts, but one elderly 'gentleman' addressed her by her first name instead of her title. His tone was quite 'fatherly', as though speaking down to someone beneath his stature. I thought his patronizing attitude was quite insulting.

As I said to my DW afterwards, I'll bet he wouldn't have spoken like that to a male captain!

Edited by Aquaphobic
spelling error

When I host a Meet and Greet I always mention on line to be complimentary and positive to the officers. The M&G is not an obligation, but a wonderful gift from NCL. I will never forget to mention this again.

The Hotel Director told us that after leaving Canada and arriving in Maine that we would have a very quick Customs check where we were to bring our passports. One lady started screaming that she has been on numerous cruises and this has never happened and it should have been listed on line. Apparently they had booked a non ships tour and needed to get off early. The hotel director wrote down her cabin number and promised that he would arrange for her to be in the first group so they would be off first. She kept on interrupting all of the officers speeches yelling about this. The HD kept on calmly reassuring her. She took up a lot of time with beating a dead horse and embarrassed the rest of us. To make matters worse she won the door prize that I had brought, lol! Anyways, I have no patience for rudeness like that. As they say, you can't fix stupid!

Gosh, I've always had a good time at the Q&A sessions. Whether with Senior Staff or, once, with some of the entertainers. I've learned about individual backgrounds, some detail of the ship, and fun stuff like there really is a morgue and holding cells.

I've thought about asking things like "what happened to the smoked salmon at breakfast" and "why are there no pickles to go with my hamburger" (seriously) but I found a way to ask those sorts of questions privately rather than in front of an audience. I don't expect the crew to be rude to me so I certainly don't want to be rude to them.

They didn't even answer my question about where is the elevator that goes to the front of the ship, but maybe they were too busy.:halo:

I went to one and this guy went on an on about having to basically make his own egg mcmuffin at breakfast. He didn't let up for over 5 minutes until the captain told him he had one at the great outdoors that very morning. I almost spit my coffee from laughing

We have only done cruise director Q and As before on ther lines and they have always been overwhelmingly positive.

First time we went to an officer's one on the NCL Jade 9-19th August 2017 cruise. Thankfully most guests were lovely and asked good questions but we also got these two little gremlins below which really upset me.

1) First time cruiser (obviously) asked Captain Ingar 'Why weren't we informed about the HOHO bus stopping at a certain time, we got ripped off as we couldn't see anything'. Both the Hotel director and Ingar answered politely but basically said it wasn't affiliated with the cruise line and they would look into it. She huffed and told them they didn't answer the question.

2) An apparently experienced cruiser asked the captain why he hadn't made himself visable earlier on the cruise (like other lines) as it was the last day. Bear in mind he was in the atrium on the 2nd day for a whole hour as advertised and we had some really rough seas he had to cope with. He was polite to her and explained his role while the most of the room gasped and shook their heads at her.

The rest of the room threw compliments at them to counter these two fools but as I am quite in awe of the officers I couldn't believe these guys were showing such disrespect.

Does this often happen at Q and As?

You can not judge a situation based on the behavior of a few. We have seen a couple people go to the Q&A meeting just to bitch on more than one line. Most of the time everyone is there to try and learn something and are very polite, regardless of the line.

You can not judge a situation based on the behavior of a few. We have seen a couple people go to the Q&A meeting just to bitch on more than one line. Most of the time everyone is there to try and learn something and are very polite, regardless of the line.

It was still a positive and very enjoyable experience for us and most of the room I just wondered if it was usual on NCL as the ship was/is in Europe and a less typical passenger mix.

heres-your-sign.jpg

It happens all the time, and this is why the officers, particularly the deck and engine officers, positively hate the Q&A's. I remember one Latitudes reception, and this boob comes up to the Staff Captain, and says "so you're a Captain wanna-be?". I had to put a hand on Staff's arm to keep him from throwing the glass of seltzer in this guy's face.

• 3 months later...

First of all, I am very thankful that NCL has this feature, a question & answer session with the senior officers, open to all guests on the ship. It is always very educational, a great exchange of information. For example, I did not know that NCL uses a Staff Captain who is just as qualified as the actual Captain. I find that very reassuring.

Sometimes an issue comes up that affects most of the guests on the cruise, such as stormy weather or delayed sailing. I am glad the senior officers have an opportunity to explain their perspective of the situation, as not all guests may understand what occurred.

And I am pleased to find that many of them have great personalities, and even make great jokes in their responses, all with having a diverse upbringing from another country. It helps us all relate together, and like these folks, rather than treating them as obscure folks to be raised up on a pedestal.

It's unfortunate that it is bound to happen, to have someone whine about their unique situation. The senior officers forum should be used for questions that affect the whole ship. The right questions should go to the right people. It often starts with a visit to the Guest Relations desk, who can point to the right contact in that case.

We stopped going to these Q and A’s years ago. Way too many petty questions and gripes. It’s a shame because these officers are interesting when on-topic. But those questions about why was my coffee 30 minutes late from room service. Yikes!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

When I host a Meet and Greet I always mention on line to be complimentary and positive to the officers. The M&G is not an obligation, but a wonderful gift from NCL. I will never forget to mention this again.

The Hotel Director told us that after leaving Canada and arriving in Maine that we would have a very quick Customs check where we were to bring our passports. One lady started screaming that she has been on numerous cruises and this has never happened and it should have been listed on line. Apparently they had booked a non ships tour and needed to get off early. The hotel director wrote down her cabin number and promised that he would arrange for her to be in the first group so they would be off first. She kept on interrupting all of the officers speeches yelling about this. The HD kept on calmly reassuring her. She took up a lot of time with beating a dead horse and embarrassed the rest of us. To make matters worse she won the door prize that I had brought, lol! Anyways, I have no patience for rudeness like that. As they say, you can't fix stupid!

Actually, you CAN fix stupid, but it's a felony...

We have only done cruise director Q and As before on ther lines and they have always been overwhelmingly positive.

First time we went to an officer's one on the NCL Jade 9-19th August 2017 cruise. Thankfully most guests were lovely and asked good questions but we also got these two little gremlins below which really upset me.

1) First time cruiser (obviously) asked Captain Ingar 'Why weren't we informed about the HOHO bus stopping at a certain time, we got ripped off as we couldn't see anything'. Both the Hotel director and Ingar answered politely but basically said it wasn't affiliated with the cruise line and they would look into it. She huffed and told them they didn't answer the question.

2) An apparently experienced cruiser asked the captain why he hadn't made himself visable earlier on the cruise (like other lines) as it was the last day. Bear in mind he was in the atrium on the 2nd day for a whole hour as advertised and we had some really rough seas he had to cope with. He was polite to her and explained his role while the most of the room gasped and shook their heads at her.

The rest of the room threw compliments at them to counter these two fools but as I am quite in awe of the officers I couldn't believe these guys were showing such disrespect.

Does this often happen at Q and As?

generally we have had great experience with the M&G attendees when it comes to asking the hotel manager or whomever is in charge of the Q&A, but a few cruises ago we did have a couple of people that were down right rude. I was embarrassed because I was the one who had organized the M&G.

Always the contrarian, I would rather listen to a few complaints than sit there and listen to people who feel the need to throw out compliments over and over. While there's no excuse for actually being rude, I have to wonder if many of these posts about rude questions are coming from the same mindset that permeates these boards: A cruise is perfect, and even if it isn't, you're not allowed to say anything negative. After having read numerous reviews here, I have seen far too many posters ripped to shreds because they had the audacity to mention something that they didn't like on their cruise.

We've stopped attending meet n greets as well as stopped registering on the roll calls

Why?

1. I really am not fond of posting stuff like...hi, we are Barbie and Ken Smith from islip New York Um ok all it takes it a quick google to get your home address and you have let the world know you will be away from your home as well as the exact dates

2. At the meet n greets we have gone to all we have ever found are a bunch of people half asleep sitting in a crowded area with zero ventilation and stale pastries set out. No smiles no conversation and to top it off the attitudes have been shall we say...snobby? Now I realize some will say it's me...but alas I assure you we enter these things with a smile and a pleasant good morning

Fwiw...I think cc members just think a meet n greet is scheduled primarily for complaints

We don't miss them and I'm sure we are not missed either. Lol

Edited by maggie cruises

I'll share another little tidbit....back in 2011 on the jewel we went to the meet up. The organizer had made it very clear on the roll call that she was single and looking and that she would ask for a tour of the bridge for us (they used to do that btw) and even perhaps some additional socialization with the officers...

Well she asked...was turned down...and then all of a sudden she no longer wanted to be in charge during this meeting and did her best to end the meeting 10 minutes into it. Lol

Perhaps if she hadn't ranted in the roll call about how the crew and officers would be at her feet begging to show her and us the bridge and then perhaps engage in additional socialization their reaction to her may have been different

If you think that crew aren't reading these threads just think again

While they may not comment they are definitely reading them

It's just a good business practice. Lol

On our last cruise at the Q&A someone asked the captain what his salary was and also wanted to know the salaries of all the other staff on the ship! :rolleyes:

That question was asked on my last cruise. The captain was very clever though and just replied that he had a wife who likes to spend, so not enough!

Our westbound TA on the Jade in 2015 stopped in Miami. Turns out that the Escape had just gotten there on it's maiden voyage and our Captain, Kim, knew the Escape's Chief Engineer because they went to school together. He told us about how he toured the Escape and had lunch with him while we were in Miami. Well, one of the guests in our Q & A asked him if he would rather be on the Escape, since the ship was so much larger. His answer was classic---"No, because size doesn't matter!" The whole room started cracking up. He was very funny, not sure what ship he is on now.

"you can't fix stupid!"

I think that pretty much sums it up. Stupid, rude, entitled people act like stupid, rude, entitled people.

After our first M&G I noticed that the people who argued and complained at trivia were all CC people, have not gone to one since.

After our first M&G I noticed that the people who argued and complained at trivia were all CC people

A Meet & Greet by definition has to be Cruise Critic people. How did you notice afterwards that anyone who argued and complained at trivia were CC people? Did you stand at Guest Services listening to those who argued and complained at trivia and then asked them if they were on CC?

How do you define "Trivia"? What is trivia to you might be life and death to someone else!

To have argued and complained at trivia does not automatically mean that someone is rude. I frequently argue and complain at trivia but I always do it in a constructive manner and am never rude about it. Also I would never do it at a Meet & Greet; I do it either face to face with the officer concerned should I see that person or, more commonly, in writing to the Hotel Director.

After our first M&G I noticed that the people who argued and complained at trivia were all CC people

A Meet & Greet by definition has to be Cruise Critic people. How did you notice afterwards that anyone who argued and complained at trivia were CC people? Did you stand at Guest Services listening to those who argued and complained at trivia and then asked them if they were on CC?

How do you define "Trivia"? What is trivia to you might be life and death to someone else!

To have argued and complained at trivia does not automatically mean that someone is rude. I frequently argue and complain at trivia but I always do it in a constructive manner and am never rude about it. Also I would never do it at a Meet & Greet; I do it either face to face with the officer concerned should I see that person or, more commonly, in writing to the Hotel Director.

There is this event of 15 or 20 questions where everyone writes down their answers, papers are exchanged, and the correct answers are reviewed. Perhaps you were not aware of this. AFTER the M&G I went to several trivia and noticed that the biggest arguers and complainers were people I had seen at the M&G. None of the answers to trivia questions were a matter of life or death, although some acted as if it were the case.