Eating in Blu if you aren't in Aqua Class

DrKoob

Hi Celebrity friends,

I am just looking for some info. We are on Summit next fall going to New England for 14 days. My brother, his wife and two of our best friends are also on board. We booked first (almost six months before they did) and we snagged our favorite aft cabin. We LOVE M-class aft cabins and we purposely booked on the first day the cruise became available to get one.

That said, my brother and his wife and our friends booked Aqua. We had all done Aqua on Silhouette last summer and we loved it. Mostly for Blu. Especially for breakfast.

So here's my question. Have you ever heard of anyone in Concierge (our aft cabin is a C-1 and more expensive than their Aqua) being able to eat in Blu? Either by purchasing some kind of upgrade or any other way? If so, how did they work it out?

Please don't think we are trying to get something for nothing. As I mentioned, our C-1 aft costs more than their Aqua cabins and we would still be willing to pay extra (within reason) to eat in Blu.

Thoughts and experiences would be welcome.

Jim

Sorry Jim, the answer is no. And there is no fee that can be paid.:(

Depends upon the ship as to whether they will allow suite passengers to eat in Blu (for a fee and space permitted.

I do not believe this is accurate. They dropped the fee for suite guests to dine in Blu a couple of years ago. :)

And why would someone in a suite want to, regardless if there is a fee? Now those in a suite can bring a guest to Their dining room for the small cost of $50.00 pp per meal. :eek:

I do not believe this is accurate. They dropped the fee for suite guests to dine in Blu a couple of years ago. :)

I never stayed in a suite but stayed in AQ many times. Wasn't it prior to Luminae, which only been around 2 or 3 years, suite guests dining room was BLU? I seem to recall this family on a Fall, 2014 Eclipse Azores/Canary Island cruise , with several small children, who was down the hall from us in a suite had both breakfast and dinner in BLU.

Also, since Suite can dine in BLU (space available) can AQ dine in Luminae (space available)? Just asking :D

Suite passengers are definitely allowed to eat in Blu (no fee) across the Celebrity fleet- if there is availability with Aqua Class passengers getting first priority.

Suite passengers can bring guests into Luminae (if space available) with the following fees applied: $30pp dinner, $20pp lunch, $10pp breakfast. Need to check with the Luminae Maitre 'D in advance.

Is it possible that Blu might allow non-Aqua guests in less busy times for a similar fee schedule like Luminae? Has anybody checked?

On my last cruise on Reflection, my friends and I booked standard verandah cabins next to each other. When we checked in at the dock, I was pointed in the direction of the cabin I booked; my friends, however, had been upgraded to Aqua class. Disappointing that just one of us got the upgrade, but understood (until I heard that a couple will always be upgraded before a single passenger...that set me on fire). Anyway, my friend was thrilled about eating in Blu and offered to have me join them and pay the fee so we could eat together. Finding out now that would not have been a possibility, I'm glad they chose to stay in their original cabin and we could eat together! I am not a foodie so the MDR or the buffet always make me happy.

Sorry, suite passengers are allowed to dine in Blu. We were sitting next to a couple who preferred the breakfasts in Blu over Luminae. They loved the table side prepared muesli in Blu. And it is really good.

I'd be very cautious - just because someone once got someone to make an exception, doesn't mean it's policy or possible. There could have been many other reasons to say it is allowed based on one experience. One couple got away it with one time doesn't seem like policy after so many others have said no.

I always get leary when I hear antidotal stories - again, one couple managed to finagle their way in doesn't mean there it is allowed. We never know exactly what happened.

I'd be very cautious - just because someone once got someone to make an exception, doesn't mean it's policy or possible. There could have been many other reasons to say it is allowed based on one experience. One couple got away it with one time doesn't seem like policy after so many others have said no.

I always get leary when I hear antidotal stories - again, one couple managed to finagle their way in doesn't mean there it is allowed. We never know exactly what happened.

I disagree. According the Celebrity website, under insider tips, suite guests are welcome based on availability. Unless the website is wrong, that wasn't an anecdotal story, but dining under a current policy.

Suite passengers are definitely allowed to eat in Blu (no fee) across the Celebrity fleet- if there is availability with Aqua Class passengers getting first priority.

Suite passengers can bring guests into Luminae (if space available) with the following fees applied: $30pp dinner, $20pp lunch, $10pp breakfast. Need to check with the Luminae Maitre 'D in advance.

Is it possible that Blu might allow non-Aqua guests in less busy times for a similar fee schedule like Luminae? Has anybody checked?

No. It is not permitted on any ship. However, whether suite guests can eat in Blu is discretional across the fleet. Per Captain's Club rep.

I disagree. According the Celebrity website, under insider tips, suite guests are welcome based on availability. Unless the website is wrong, that wasn't an anecdotal story, but dining under a current policy.

The website is loaded with contradictory and old information. You can assume because it is on the website that it is true.

We have always been allowed to dine in Blu when travelling in a suite--most recently in December on Reflection. However, we have never tried to eat in Blu for dinner. As to why I would chose Blu over Luminae, I prefer Blu's breakfast offerings to those of Luminae. Also, given limited lunch menu of Luminae, on a longer cruise a lunch in Blu is a nice change. I will be cruising in suite next month and, if policy re suites and Blu has changed, I will post information.

I want to thank everyone who responded. My bride and I will need to make a decision on whether we want to eat in Blu (which we do really like) with our friends by changing staterooms or to keep our aft cabin and just dine in the MDR. And yes, we do realize we could easily meet them in Speciality restaurants. We would do this but the choices are rather limited on the M-Class ships with only Qsine and the Tuscan available. You can only eat there so many times on a 14-night cruise.

Jim

I want to thank everyone who responded. My bride and I will need to make a decision on whether we want to eat in Blu (which we do really like) with our friends by changing staterooms or to keep our aft cabin and just dine in the MDR. And yes, we do realize we could easily meet them in Speciality restaurants. We would do this but the choices are rather limited on the M-Class ships with only Qsine and the Tuscan available. You can only eat there so many times on a 14-night cruise.

Jim

Once in each would be enough on a cruise. You also have the option of the buffet. I have enjoyed the choices available for dinner there. Plus they often have theme nights there i.e. German, Italian, etc.

Once in each would be enough on a cruise. You also have the option of the buffet. I have enjoyed the choices available for dinner there. Plus they often have theme nights there i.e. German, Italian, etc.

Not really. All of us are basically anti-buffet at dinner. I go on a cruise to meet people and dine in a convivial atmosphere. The buffet does not provide that. But thanks for the suggestion. I would say that my brother and his wife moved to Blu just to avoid the buffet at breakfast. I pretty much hate it then too but I can live with it. Ever since they pulled the trays, drives me nuts.

Not really. All of us are basically anti-buffet at dinner. I go on a cruise to meet people and dine in a convivial atmosphere. The buffet does not provide that. But thanks for the suggestion. I would say that my brother and his wife moved to Blu just to avoid the buffet at breakfast. I pretty much hate it then too but I can live with it. Ever since they pulled the trays, drives me nuts.

You don't have to go to the buffet for breakfast -- you can go to the MDR. They serve breakfast every day of the week, even on debarkation.

On the M-Class ships they have the aft grill -- not really a buffet per se. They have fresh grilled salmon, chicken, chops, strip steaks, and other variety of foods. We really liked it as a change of pace for dinner while underway.

Jim

On Infinity we ate mostly in BLU but due to slow service and a few other issues, we did one night each in Qsine, Tuscan, buffet and MDR select...still enjoyed our breakfasts in BLU most days and Elite breakfast in Tuscsn...really lovely spread.

We dont eat sushi but that was another option on Inf...

You don't have to go to the buffet for breakfast -- you can go to the MDR. They serve breakfast every day of the week, even on debarkation.

On the M-Class ships they have the aft grill -- not really a buffet per se. They have fresh grilled salmon, chicken, chops, strip steaks, and other variety of foods. We really liked it as a change of pace for dinner while underway.

If signatures still showed up you would have seen that we have sailed on X more than 20 times and are Elite Plus so we know about breakfast in the MDR. But we also know through our experience, that service at breakfast in the MDR is the WORST on the ship IMO. We have had to wait up to 35 minutes for breakfast in the MDR and then wound up with cold food, rock-hard over easy eggs and waiting with an empty coffee cup for 10 or 15 minutes. On a line known for great service, this is the worst. I love every other thing about the service on an X ship, just not that.

As to the aft grille, we have walked by but to us, one of the things we love about cruising is the ambience of dinner being served by servers who take great care of us. I won't eat in a fast food restaurant on land. When I pay that much money, I want to have my order taken and my food brought to the table.

Jim

On Infinity we ate mostly in BLU but due to slow service and a few other issues, we did one night each in Qsine, Tuscan, buffet and MDR select...still enjoyed our breakfasts in BLU most days and Elite breakfast in Tuscsn...really lovely spread.

We dont eat sushi but that was another option on Inf...

My bride won't eat Sushi either so that's out. Plus you have to pay for that. I have no problem in paying for dinner but I don't want to force others to. And our experience with Blu on Silhouette last year is that the service is in direct correlation to when you go to dine. Since we like to dine early, many times we were in at 6:00 and had the best service ever while others onboard told us they went at 7:00 and were poorly serviced. At breakfast on a port-intensive cruise, we would be the first ones in Blu so we could be the first ones off the ship. The service was amazing!

So it seems that the bottom line is that you have to choose between a balcony that you like better or eating at Blu. It's just one of life's compromises. I sincerely hope that this is the most difficult decision in your otherwise tranquil life. :)

(I opted for Blu!)

Pretty much sums it up....