Paying full for a 7 month baby?

Extra Kim

I love threads like this one. They pop up occasionally and bring out the best of cruise critic. Hey OP, I have an idea, just eliminate all your tips. Then the RCI cruise will be affordable [emoji6]. In all seriousness thanks for coming back to give us the price comparison. I hope you and the family enjoy the cruise. And since many on cruise critic don't understand sarcasm, I was joking about the tips.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I love threads like this one. They pop up occasionally and bring out the best of cruise critic. Hey OP, I have an idea, just eliminate all your tips. Then the RCI cruise will be affordable [emoji6]. In all seriousness thanks for coming back to give us the price comparison. I hope you and the family enjoy the cruise. And since many on cruise critic don't understand sarcasm, I was joking about the tips.

Actually this brings up another frequent complaint - Whether or not to pay tips for the baby.

Actually this brings up another frequent complaint - Whether or not to pay tips for the baby.

I fully support paying tips and have no problem paying them for my four children ages 4-12. I would not pay them for a baby.

Our best insight into the impact one-in-a-cabin has on on-board spending is how some cruise lines are beginning to charge more than 100% single supplement. If the impact on on-board spending was smaller than the cost of food (which is probably still less than $10 a day on Carnival, at least - does anyone have up-to-date numbers for how much each cruise line spends on food per passenger?) then why would cruise lines be further discouraging solo travelers but pushing the single supplement > 100%?

Regardless, I never understood the logic behind exempting babies from consideration of the cost of the services the baby consumes, such as on-board service. Maybe the typical behavior of babies has changed since the little ones in our family were little, but in both hotel rooms and restaurants, they would draw on the time and effort of the service workers as much if not more than the adults in our party.

Our best insight into the impact one-in-a-cabin has on on-board spending is how some cruise lines are beginning to charge more than 100% single supplement. If the impact on on-board spending was smaller than the cost of food (which is probably still less than $10 a day on Carnival, at least - does anyone have up-to-date numbers for how much each cruise line spends on food per passenger?) then why would cruise lines be further discouraging solo travelers but pushing the single supplement > 100%?

Regardless, I never understood the logic behind exempting babies from consideration of the cost of the services the baby consumes, such as on-board service. Maybe the typical behavior of babies has changed since the little ones in our family were little, but in both hotel rooms and restaurants, they would draw on the time and effort of the service workers as much if not more than the adults in our party.

Last figures I saw $10 was still pretty much on the mark.

How did your kids require more effort than the adults? I have always felt the opposite with our family and I believe my wife and I are low maintenance.

How did your kids require more effort than the adults?
I remember one restaurant meal vividly. As we left, we left behind a highchair-shaped "zone of destruction" where one of our little ones had pitched bits and pieces of what he was eating on the floor. We were mortified, but short of going into the kitchen to get a broom and vacuum, there wasn't much we could do. A few years later we had a big dinner with all three brothers and the children, and the kids were cranky and hungry after a full day in the hot sun, and the crankiness was feeding one off the other, and the waiter had to run ragged to get something to put in front of them to just tamp down the disturbance. These were good, normal children, but they still drew on the services of waiters.

My spouse and I when we leave a hotel room now probably cause some confusion because we leave rooms looking like they have not been used. You have to look close to find a few items in the trash can, and notice that the bed, while made, is not made exactly the way the housekeeper would make it. Compare that to our first time in a suite with my older brother's family. What a mess. Children will be children. They don't learn to take care (such as when pouring things - ohmygosh - or even just putting toothpaste on their toothbrushes) until they are a bit older. And not only does that take a bit of a toll on housekeepers cleaning up a room they've stayed in, but also on parents, who are going to spend the few minutes before checking-out neatening up the biggest messes, not making the beds.

I believe my wife and I are low maintenance.
I'm not sure how that matters, except to underscore how much more maintenance by comparison traveling with children would be.

How did your kids require more effort than the adults? I have always felt the opposite with our family and I believe my wife and I are low maintenance.

Children are more likely to spill food and drinks than adults - very little children require the placement and removal of things like high chairs and booster seats. They are rarely neater than adults in cabins - so cabin stewards as well as dining room stewards are impacted as well.

They may not require more effort, but they cannot be assumed to require less.

I remember one restaurant meal vividly. As we left, we left behind a highchair-shaped "zone of destruction" where one of our little ones had pitched bits and pieces of what he was eating on the floor. We were mortified, but short of going into the kitchen to get a broom and vacuum, there wasn't much we could do. A few years later we had a big dinner with all three brothers and the children, and the kids were cranky and hungry after a full day in the hot sun, and the crankiness was feeding one off the other, and the waiter had to run ragged to get something to put in front of them to just tamp down the disturbance. These were good, normal children, but they still drew on the services of waiters.

My spouse and I when we leave a hotel room now probably cause some confusion because we leave rooms looking like they have not been used. You have to look close to find a few items in the trash can, and notice that the bed, while made, is not made exactly the way the housekeeper would make it. Compare that to our first time in a suite with my older brother's family. What a mess. Children will be children. They don't learn to take care (such as when pouring things - ohmygosh - or even just putting toothpaste on their toothbrushes) until they are a bit older. And not only does that take a bit of a toll on housekeepers cleaning up a room they've stayed in, but also on parents, who are going to spend the few minutes before checking-out neatening up the biggest messes, not making the beds.

I'm not sure how that matters, except to underscore how much more maintenance by comparison traveling with children would be.

Definitely agree that kids are messy; make more work for cabin steward (dirty diapers, bed has to be made, bathroom, towels, etc.). They should pay tips just as adults do. Dining room staff bend over backwards to make sure they are well taken care of.

I now sail solo, and even prior to that would have been considered low maintenance, especially when I glance into other cabins that stewards are working in. However, I think your comments regarding making your own bed in hotels, etc. is just plain dumb! Housekeeping has to strip your bed - they have to re-make your bed if you are staying another night. You are actually making work for them - that's not low maintenance. If I use a bed pillow for watching TV, I will throw it back on the bed. I will leave towels all together on the floor/sink, but do not re-hang unless I plan to use.

Sorry, you might think you are helping, but not in my mind.

Sorry, you might think you are helping, but not in my mind.
It's habit, a lifetime of having learned to leave things neat and tidy.

This message may have been entered via voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

I fully agree. No different than virtually all hotels. Almost all charge the same room rate for a single person as they do for two people. I can't remember a single hotel I have ever stayed at, whether budget or high end, that gave a discount when only one person is staying in the room. And almost all will charge extra for a third and fourth person.

The cruise industry is only following long established hotel fare policies.

And I would bet that you are the exception rather than the rule. We also have been cruising for some time now, and I assure you that we don't take the budget approach to our cruises. Instead, like most cruisers, we treat ourselves to a bevy of extra cost options. Why, you may ask? And why not?, would be my reply. We don't go on cruises to scrimp and save while on them. We can more easily do that at home where we don't have access to amenities that are meant to enhance our experiences on those infrequent times that we are on vacation. We scrimp and save at home so that we can enjoy our vacations to the fullest, not the other way around.

Actually, no, I ddt not and ewould not ask you why. my DH and I a lways sailed in the ;good suites and I still do. I never felt I had to explain why . We did because we wanted do and I still do because I have done that for over 100 cruises and sould set myself up fo failure to change now. We did not buy photos in recent years because we havcce so many already. We did not want more. We nevver bought at art auction for the 'common sense'' reasons. I do not b elieve I said anything bout scrimping so I'm not surre where that came from in your post. :) We didn't take ship's excursions bec ause we preferreed private, We'd get a car adn driver and do what we wanted, for as along as we wanted and didn't have to wait fof straggflers. That is not to say in all he years we never did ship's tours but hardly any in recent years. Still, I do not get your 'sc rimping reference. Funny how people can read things into the written word even when it wasn't in the writing.

If children under a certain age should be able to travel for free or at a significant discount, then anyone over 65 should also be able to travel for free or at the same discount. This well thought out opinion is based on my 67 years of thinking about such things, by the way. ;p:p:):halo:

I'm also 67, and I'm with you on that! :p;p

Children even babies also add more work for staff. We sat next to a family of four on our last cruise. We had the same wait staff as they did and with all the special requests to keep the baby and toddler happy we ended up skipping the MDR after the one night. Every time our waiter came to our table the mother or father of the children would interrupt and ask for what they needed. It was almost impossible for us to even order let alone get anything. They could clearly see that we were trying to order but had to interrupt.

I think the staff has extra duties for children so the price should be the same.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Children even babies also add more work for staff. We sat next to a family of four on our last cruise. We had the same wait staff as they did and with all the special requests to keep the baby and toddler happy we ended up skipping the MDR after the one night. Every time our waiter came to our table the mother or father of the children would interrupt and ask for what they needed. It was almost impossible for us to even order let alone get anything. They could clearly see that we were trying to order but had to interrupt.

I think the staff has extra duties for children so the price should be the same.

(y) Totally agree with the above!

Although I have never cruised before, i can understand why it may sound frustrating that you have to pay full fare for a little one. But as an outsider it seems to me that the ship has finite beds available and is capacity controlled due to SOLAS rules. This I know from my brothers career with the US coast guard.

Also it comes down to simple economics. Even if you baby obviously will not utilize 95% of the available services he/she is still taking up a "berth".

Because you room may hold 3 or 4 passengers. That's one less room available in inventory that may have a passenger using that extra bed(s). Why should the business lose out on that?

Shop around. We travel with six kids, some as babies.

Because we break it up with one parent and three kids per stateroom, I do pay adult fare for the first kids per room. But we have never paid close to that for the next two pax.

MSC and DCL gave us great kid rates.

NCL drops the price pp as you add more to the room.

Shop around.

We've never done RCCI because whenever we price it out there are always a few others who come in with better rates for similar ships and itineraries.

Shop around. [emoji173]

As others have said, check MSC cruises. They are Italians with brand new ships. Very cheap, if not free for little kids. And most Italians LOVE babies. Your kid will have a few hundred new grand parents!

I fully support paying tips and have no problem paying them for my four children ages 4-12. I would not pay them for a baby.

So taking away loads of dirty nappies, used baby wipes, towels with vomit on them, etc, is no extra work for your steward?

MSC would provide an option with this - just be sure to check the policies and guidelines regarding bookings with this program.

And to be clear it is not just RCI that charges for children - as indicated most mass market cruise lines do. So if it is greedy, it is pretty much industry wide greed. This has evolved over the years and all still offer promo's from time to time regarding this.

But MSC is the exception - for now.........

Costa don't let pay for babys too

• 3 weeks later...
I don't think that is how fares are formulated (and I doubt a 7 month old would be sitting anywhere other than someone's lap:)).

You're right ma'am! Many of the comments are off base regarding the 7 month old. I mainly sail Carnival. The three cruises I have taken my girls on I have never paid full price on the 3rd and 4th guest. I agree with the one poster that they do indeed increase the price of the adult fares. We just usually pay the taxes for my girls. They are 7 and 5 now. Check NCL also! I have never cruised with them, however I I did have a booking at one point last year and they were running the 3rd and 4th guest free promotion.

and that's why we now sail on Princess. We catch a $99 sale for the 3rd and 4th passenger every time. Royal Caribbean has had the most unreasonable prices for a few years now. I recently looked up a cruise with them, and it seems like a reasonable $699 pp, until I got to adding a 3rd passenger - $800 for the kiddo. He can't even eat this much! Even when RC is running their 50% off the second passenger, their prices are unreasonable.

So, Princess it is for us.

I agree! I did a cruise price analysis last year to see if it would be financially possible to take my family of 4 on a RCCL cruise. On average RCCL was $1800 higher for my family of 4 for the same or similar stateroom category etc...

I agree! I did a cruise price analysis last year to see if it would be financially possible to take my family of 4 on a RCCL cruise. On average RCCL was $1800 higher for my family of 4 for the same or similar stateroom category etc...

I agree. Every time I price out RCCL it's in DCL league... which is decidedly out of mine. [emoji12]

You're right ma'am! Many of the comments are off base regarding the 7 month old. I mainly sail Carnival. The three cruises I have taken my girls on I have never paid full price on the 3rd and 4th guest. I agree with the one poster that they do indeed increase the price of the adult fares. We just usually pay the taxes for my girls. They are 7 and 5 now. Check NCL also! I have never cruised with them, however I I did have a booking at one point last year and they were running the 3rd and 4th guest free promotion.

NCL and MSC have offered us exceptional rates for our family of 8.