Paying full for a 7 month baby?

Extra Kim

The capacity of the lifeboats establishes how many fares they can sell. What the market will bear at any particular time is what establishes the cost of the fare itself.

What the market will bear depends on supply and demand. And supply depends on total allowed capacity. And total allowed capacity depends on lifeboat seats. This is econ 101, not rocket science.

I've heard this about Princess for years and years.

When I cruised with them more often there were often posts from people who stated that the age limit for their child had been reached.

It makes perfect sense since they have a maximum capacity for each of their kid club age ranges. If they didn't do this we would be having outraged threads about how someone's kid wasn't allowed into the kid's club because it was full, or outraged threads about how badly overcrowded their kid's club was.

It makes perfect sense since they have a maximum capacity for each of their kid club age ranges. If they didn't do this we would be having outraged threads about how someone's kid wasn't allowed into the kid's club because it was full, or outraged threads about how badly overcrowded their kid's club was.
my kid refuses to go to kid club, but that's not the point I am trying to make. When I register him for it online during my check-in - because Princess compels you to do it, and not because I want to - there is a very clear warning that on sailings with more than 200 kids the kid's club is on a first come first serve basis, and it may become full. So, nobody should be crying because "they didn't know in advance".

It it just occurred to me - when you have parents traveling with two children - you will of course come up to the limit on the number of cabins which would accommodate four - that would explain the limitations - without it being simply age-based.
nope, the 3-4 person cabins were NOT sold out, and it allowed me to book a 3 person cabin all the way to the point where I indicated the 3rd passenger which was 5 years old at the time. That's when the warning popped up and said - the age group 4-8 years old is closed and you may not proceed with the booking.

I applyed for level matching in the MSC VOYAGER CLUB, they did this the same day. Since I where only two points from the next level in C&A I sent them an email and asked if they could put me on the next level in their Voyager Club after our first cruise with MSC. They moved me to the next level today.

So far MSC have done more then I expected AND they did it FAST. If you are contacting Royal or C&A in Sweden it takes them days up to a week before they re-ply. And when they re-ply it might be in danish, norweigan or swedish, you never know..

We are now booked on MSC Seaview, ask me next year if it was worth saving 2100 U.S $ ;)

I applyed for level matching in the MSC VOYAGER CLUB, they did this the same day. Since I where only two points from the next level in C&A I sent them an email and asked if they could put me on the next level in their Voyager Club after our first cruise with MSC. They moved me to the next level today.

So far MSC have done more then I expected AND they did it FAST. If you are contacting Royal or C&A in Sweden it takes them days up to a week before they re-ply. And when they re-ply it might be in danish, norweigan or swedish, you never know..

We are now booked on MSC Seaview, ask me next year if it was worth saving 2100 U.S $ ;)

I'm glad you have found a line whose product meets your needs. Enjoy!

BTW, I would not be particular about which Scandinavian language a line used in getting back to me: Danish, Norwegian or Swedish - all equally useless to me in understanding them. If it is a matter of not answering you in the language you used to ask, who cares?

Just imagine how bent out of shape the OP would be if he had to pay double to cruise solo?

:rolleyes:

/quote]

What?

Protest about having to pay for a whole cabin just because he is using a whole cabin?

Are people really that incapable of objective thought?

Ok. I will agree to a certain extent. I cruise solo, and although I don't pay double exactly, usually pretty close to double. However, solo cruisers are not eating for two (I hope!) nor drinking as much of the "free" beverages, using towels for two, etc. we don't take up two spaces at the bars, lounges, lifeboats.

I don't mind paying a single price, but it is usually very high. It could be lower if cruise lines would deduct for the things I have mentioned. That's my objective thought!

Ok. I will agree to a certain extent. I cruise solo, and although I don't pay double exactly, usually pretty close to double. However, solo cruisers are not eating for two (I hope!) nor drinking as much of the "free" beverages, using towels for two, etc. we don't take up two spaces at the bars, lounges, lifeboats.

I don't mind paying a single price, but it is usually very high. It could be lower if cruise lines would deduct for the things I have mentioned. That's my objective thought!

You forget the fact that the food and beverages included in the fare and not eaten/drunk by the person you are not sailing with represent a very low cost to the line, so their savings there are minimal; while the person who is not sailing with you is not buying drinks, tours, specialty meals, photographs etc. and is not contributing to those revenue sources - while you are taking up a room which could have housed two such spenders. If ships did not sail full, it might not matter so much, but because most of them do your occupying a room which could house two removes that income opportunity from the line.

If people would only look at cruise fares realistically they might understand: the fares per person should really be seen as just half of the "room rent". To the extent you are charged anything less than a 100% single supplement, the line is actually giving you a break.

Does the baby/child also receive OBC because she is a paid fare guest? Do Mom & Dad get to spend that OBC on themselves because the child/baby isn't doing anything that needs payment? When will someone bring up cruising solo, paying 100% single supplement, but only receiving 1/2 of the OBC? OOPS, I just did! It's a mixed bag. Room paid per cabin, not per person, but OBC is per person, not per cabin... If I'm paying for my invisible cabin mate, I want my invisible cabin mate to have her OBC ;)

If ships did not sail full, it might not matter so much, but because most of them do your occupying a room which could house two removes that income opportunity from the line.

Well you point out one important thing "income OPPORTUNITY". There's not a guaratee that two will spend more then one. If two people stay in one room, they eat and drink only what's included, they don't drink any sodas or alcohol, they won't go to the speciality resturants, they doesn't buy anything in the shops and they doesn't book any of the ships tours.

Now if there's only one staying in that cabin, that person would eat less, shower less, etc. In that case the cruise line would save money.

If that person do buy any of the above, the line would make more money..

There's always two sides of the story.

P.S I have cruised solo, that's what the solo cabins are for ;) I guess that that cruise was the one I spent most on during my time onboard, since I drank a lot more alcohol during that cruise then I have done cruising with my wife.

P.S I have cruised solo, that's what the solo cabins are for ;) I guess that that cruise was the one I spent most on during my time onboard, since I drank a lot more alcohol during that cruise then I have done cruising with my wife.

Not always possible to sail in a solo cabin. Very few are available and some ships don't have them.

Not always possible to sail in a solo cabin. Very few are available and some ships don't have them.

I don't know of any solo cabins with a verandah on HAL ships? Are there any? For the sake of accuracy in terms of lost revenue due to my sailing solo......... My DH and I sailed a great deal. We long ago stopped buy ing photos, just about nevertrook ship's excrusions and never bbought at any art auction. Now that I sail solo,, HAL is not losing any money on those items as we stopped spending on most of it long ago if we ever spent on much of it at any point. I want a verandah and pay to have it. I have no guilt I'm not buying a photo or riding on an HAL bus. :) AM I supposed to apologize?

I

Edited by sail7seas

If people would only look at cruise fares realistically they might understand: the fares per person should really be seen as just half of the "room rent". To the extent you are charged anything less than a 100% single supplement, the line is actually giving you a break.

I fully agree. No different than virtually all hotels. Almost all charge the same room rate for a single person as they do for two people. I can't remember a single hotel I have ever stayed at, whether budget or high end, that gave a discount when only one person is staying in the room. And almost all will charge extra for a third and fourth person.

The cruise industry is only following long established hotel fare policies.

I don't know of any solo cabins with a verandah on HAL ships? Are there any? For the sake of accuracy in terms of lost revenue due to my sailing solo......... My DH and I sailed a great deal. We long ago stopped buy ing photos, just about nevertrook ship's excrusions and never bbought at any art auction. Now that I sail solo,, HAL is not losing any money on those items as we stopped spending on most of it long ago if we ever spent on much of it at any point. I want a verandah and pay to have it. I have no guilt I'm not buying a photo or riding on an HAL bus. :)I

And I would bet that you are the exception rather than the rule. We also have been cruising for some time now, and I assure you that we don't take the budget approach to our cruises. Instead, like most cruisers, we treat ourselves to a bevy of extra cost options. Why, you may ask? And why not?, would be my reply. We don't go on cruises to scrimp and save while on them. We can more easily do that at home where we don't have access to amenities that are meant to enhance our experiences on those infrequent times that we are on vacation. We scrimp and save at home so that we can enjoy our vacations to the fullest, not the other way around.

Edited by sloopsailor

I don't know of any solo cabins with a verandah on HAL ships? Are there any? For the sake of accuracy in terms of lost revenue due to my sailing solo......... My DH and I sailed a great deal. We long ago stopped buy ing photos, just about nevertrook ship's excrusions and never bbought at any art auction. Now that I sail solo,, HAL is not losing any money on those items as we stopped spending on most of it long ago if we ever spent on much of it at any point. I want a verandah and pay to have it. I have no guilt I'm not buying a photo or riding on an HAL bus. :) AM I supposed to apologize?

I

I don't think anyone wants you to apologize. But I do not think a cruise line should have to apologize for selling a room made for two at half price just because one person wants/needs to sail solo.

I sailed solo for a number of years - I never liked spending a lot of money when I would have preferred to spend a little - and I was delighted to get a low single supplement (25%-50%) - which was the only way I could afford to cruise - but I was not inclined to believe I was being cheated because the cruise line wanted to maximize their income.

I fully agree. No different than virtually all hotels. Almost all charge the same room rate for a single person as they do for two people. I can't remember a single hotel I have ever stayed at, whether budget or high end, that gave a discount when only one person is staying in the room. And almost all will charge extra for a third and fourth person.

The cruise industry is only following long established hotel fare policies.

It is quite common in Europe to find single rooms and also double rooms for single use (at a discount off the double price).

That said, I am luckily able to afford cruising as a solo and I'm not complaining too much.....except in some instances recently where some lines have actually tried to charge solos MORE than 200%. :eek:

It is quite common in Europe to find single rooms and also double rooms for single use (at a discount off the double price).

That said, I am luckily able to afford cruising as a solo and I'm not complaining too much.....except in some instances recently where some lines have actually tried to charge solos MORE than 200%. :eek:

Agreed, Anything more than a 100% single supplement is indeed excessive. And, it can certainly be argued that the value of the food not consumed by the non-existent room mate should be deducted.

However, there does remain that intangible: how much in on-board spending does the line lose by having just one in a cabin.

At the end of the day, the fact remains: if you do not like the terms of the deal you are free to not sign on. The lines exist to operate profitably by conducting their business the way they see fit --- not the way some of their passengers/potential passengers would like them to. If you do not like the rules of the game, do not play the game.