Paying full for a 7 month baby?

Extra Kim

But they are taking up a space on the ship that could be occupied by someone who buys a drinks package, gambles, and pays to eat at specialty restaurants.

what about us, though? We (the adults) don't buy drink packages, gamble or eat at a specialty restaurant. Should we be charged more for a cruise, because the cruise line is not making any additional money off of us that way?

I think it's nice when Princess charges $99 for the 3rd and 4th passenger. And they don't even stipulate that these are only kid prices. That's a perfect price for a kid, though.

You dad will probably generate more profit with onboard sales, which is where most of the profit comes from.
nope... This will be his first cruise, and no, no additional purchases will be made by him or my mom. He is not allowed to drink alcohol, and neither of my parents is going to a specialty restaurant, cruise excursion or buying anything extra. It's strictly a cruise fee+tax+tip.

what about us, though? We (the adults) don't buy drink packages, gamble or eat at a specialty restaurant. Should we be charged more for a cruise, because the cruise line is not making any additional money off of us that way?

I think it's nice when Princess charges $99 for the 3rd and 4th passenger. And they don't even stipulate that these are only kid prices. That's a perfect price for a kid, though.

Well no, since most adults get at least one of the "extras," even if it's not a guarantee. Children are guaranteed not to generate any income from drinking or gambling.

Shhhh! :lips-sealed: Don't give the cruise lines (or some the CCer's around here) any ideas.:lips-sealed:

If children under a certain age should be able to travel for free or at a significant discount, then anyone over 65 should also be able to travel for free or at the same discount. This well thought out opinion is based on my 67 years of thinking about such things, by the way. ;p:p:):halo:

Right on!

I understand that Royal won't care as long as their ships sail full. But we normaly have the opportunety to sail during the low season. And with more and more mega ships coming out, some day the demand will not be as high as it is right now.

It might take years but some day it might have a impact, we are not the only once with children.

We have been loyal to the Royal family on our last 8 cruises (7 on RCI and 1 on Celebrity). We where planing on bringing family members on this cruise, that's new to cruising. Now this will be on another line.

Time will tell.

I hope your cruise, whatever line its on, is enjoyable and reasonably priced too! One good thing is the cruise industry is still relatively competitive and deals are out there for parents with kids. Choice is always a good thing.

As for loyalty, dogs are loyal, cruises lines are more like trophy wives. They might look good on the outside but they are only loyal to your cash. ;p

But they are taking up a space on the ship that could be occupied by someone who buys a drinks package, gambles, and pays to eat at specialty restaurants.

How are they taking up space that would be occupied by someone who spends money? An infant is not in his or her own cabin. It's not like a third adult would be in the parents' cabin if the infant wasn't there. I can see some small surcharge to cover things like a crib set-up and needing to empty a diaper pail, but full fare makes no sense.

How are they taking up space that would be occupied by someone who spends money? An infant is not in his or her own cabin. It's not like a third adult would be in the parents' cabin if the infant wasn't there. I can see some small surcharge to cover things like a crib set-up and needing to empty a diaper pail' date=' but full fare makes no sense.[/quote']

The infant takes up a space in the lifeboat capacity. SOLAS does not allow for "infants in arms" in lifeboats the way airlines do. So, that small, 7 month old body occupies the same lifeboat space as a full grown, overweight adult. And the maximum number of passengers the ship can carry is based on the lifeboat capacity, so adding an infant takes away a potential adult. Also, you cannot book two adults and an infant in a two person cabin, it must be a 3 person cabin, even if the infant is using a crib and not a bed, so having the parents in a 3 person cabin removes that cabin from someone who wants to book 3 adults.

How are they taking up space that would be occupied by someone who spends money? An infant is not in his or her own cabin. It's not like a third adult would be in the parents' cabin if the infant wasn't there.......

You don't know that. If that room was not booked by a family with a baby, then perhaps a family with an adult child would be booking it instead. It is impossible to make your assumption, just like my assumption is also impossible to make. But, what I can assume is that cabins that can hold three or more people usually will have occupants that might be spending more on the ship than an infant. I see many families with children old enough to spend money on, but very rarely see families with babies.

Cruise Critic really needs to add a LIKE button. Great succinct post Chengkp75. FlyerTalk has a LIKE button.

The infant takes up a space in the lifeboat capacity. SOLAS does not allow for "infants in arms" in lifeboats the way airlines do. So, that small, 7 month old body occupies the same lifeboat space as a full grown, overweight adult. And the maximum number of passengers the ship can carry is based on the lifeboat capacity, so adding an infant takes away a potential adult. Also, you cannot book two adults and an infant in a two person cabin, it must be a 3 person cabin, even if the infant is using a crib and not a bed, so having the parents in a 3 person cabin removes that cabin from someone who wants to book 3 adults.

I understand that Royal won't care as long as their ships sail full. But we normaly have the opportunety to sail during the low season. And with more and more mega ships coming out, some day the demand will not be as high as it is right now.

It might take years but some day it might have a impact, we are not the only once with children.

We have been loyal to the Royal family on our last 8 cruises (7 on RCI and 1 on Celebrity). We where planing on bringing family members on this cruise, that's new to cruising. Now this will be on another line.

Time will tell.

I recognize your disagreement with the policy and also understand your position as a loyal RCI cruiser, but again, you seem to be condemning them as somehow alone in what is - with the exception of MSC, for now - essentially an industry wide policy. Unless you cruise with MSC, you will likely be cruising with nobody - not just abandoning RCI - as a result of your feelings.

And RCI, as with the other lines, does from time to time have promo's to lessen the financial impact on those traveling with children. I know from personal experience with now adult children who cruised with us on many an RCI cruise since they were very young.

As another had mentioned, please price out your intended cruise with MSC and come back to the thread with the results. It would be interesting to see how the total price compares to that of RCI, or others, for the same date and general itinerary with the children included.

Enjoy your cruising.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I would just look for cruise lines offering free sailings for three in a room.

Keith

If you find a cruise line that offers free sailings if you have three in a room, please post.

Maybe on such a line, if you had six, the cruise line would owe you money.

. ...

Also, any recommended gratuities for children are the same as with adults. Age makes no difference with this either. ....

Nope. On some cruise lines the gratuities do not apply to those under age 3 years.

I don't think that is how fares are formulated (and I doubt a 7 month old would be sitting anywhere other than someone's lap:)).

CG regs state that EVERYONE gets their own spot on the life boats. even if baby is on a lap in practical usage

They really don't care what age you are....you are considered a "soul"...and each "soul" pays, one way or another. Even those "kids sail free" or 3rd and 4th passenger offers up the price of the first 2 passengers.

Where is your embarkation port? Is is a U.S. port? That's a long TA flight for baby and mom//dad......... Hope you willl be boarding in Europe.