What I do differently....

A&Jfamily

I agree with the pack less!! On our first cruise, I came back with outfits I never even wore. When it comes to packing, I am a minimalist. Most of the time we are in swimsuits on board, and nothing wrong with wearing outfits a second time, esp. if you only wore it for a couple of hours previously.

No dressing "fancy" for formal night. We look nice, dressier than normal, but not over the top. It's not really "formal" anymore it's "cruise elegant", which is in my opinion just a step above cruise casual.

Drink more - I guess I started drinking more alcoholic beverages when I started cruising. :')

Spend less time getting ready - who cares about the way my hair looks or if my makeup is perfect? I'm on vacation and I'm going to make the most of every minute! Showering and cleanliness is important, to be clear.

Spend more time talking to others - as someone said, it's all about the people you meet.

It seems like we have many consistent themes...wondering if the newer cruisers are reading?

I may be biased, but I think this is pretty darn good advice!;p

Yes the newer cruiser (actually 1st timer cruising in Oct) are Totally reading and taking notes! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Try different itineries that either go to new ports or are longer than a week in length. Do Alaska and Med cruises.

Try different cruise lines to see what other lines offer.

Sail the more recently built ships and stop sailing those from another era.

It seems like we have many consistent themes...wondering if the newer cruisers are reading?

I may be biased, but I think this is pretty darn good advice!;p

I am not a "new" cruiser, but certainly don't consider myself "experienced."

I learned a long time ago to listen to those that have been there before. There is just no need to reinvent the wheel.

I quickly learned the value of finding my space and "doing nothing," though.

Try different itineries that either go to new ports or are longer than a week in length. Do Alaska and Med cruises.

Try different cruise lines to see what other lines offer.

Sail the more recently built ships and stop sailing those from another era.

I don't want to wish my life away but I am also looking forward to someday being in a position to take longer cruises on a regular basis. Right now between work and kids it just isn't feasible....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

1. Definitely, we have packing down to a science. Using packing cubes have changed the way we pack.

2. Definitely again, YTD always

3 There is a pattern here, we never book overpriced, packed CCL shore excursions. We sleep in and schedule later shore excursions. after 10 am you walk off the ship with no lines. Nothing to fear, they are the same vendors.

4. Steakhouse and Chef's Table are mandatory

5. We never understand people paying for an all inclusive for $75 + per person. You are already on an all inclusive with Cheers. In Grand Turk we walked around the overpriced shopping area for 1/2 hour and went to the Serenity Deck and thoroughly enjoyed how quiet it was

What are packing cubes?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Great thread.

I learned to not schedule an excursion at each port. We were exhausted by the end of the cruise. We enjoy doing things on our own now, not even a private excursion - just get in a taxi and go.

I used to obsess over smuggling alcohol but realize that on Princess their drink prices are very reasonable, even for buying a bottle for the room. Not Costco reasonable, but cruise ship reasonable.

Spend more time on our balcony. This is the most relaxing time for us.

Enjoy, what we call, second breakfast. We get up and go out for a fancy coffee and pastry, walk and them go to either breakfast in the dining room or the buffet.

Ask for the table you want. We usually do a two top and if they put us at one that is 3 inches away from the next one we ask for a different table. We've had to wait before but usually they just walk you to a more private table.

As most have said, don't feel you have to do it all. There will be other trivia games and movies that are shown at night are usually re-shown on your cabin TV the next day. Ice carvings, art auctions, fruit and vegetable carving demonstrations are one and done. Interesting the first time but no need to visit again.

What are packing cubes?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

If you google packing cubes, you will find tons of different options. They are some that are small and some square and some oblong ,etc. I roll our clothes and place in the cube. It has a zipper. I usually put underthings in one, matching outfits in another. I can usually get 6 outfits in one large cube. When I get to the ship and unpack I will hang a few and keep the rest in a drawer or shelf in the cube. When I run out of hanging clothes, I hang a few more. I like to hang to get out the few wrinkles they have from rolling and bagging. BTW some people use large zip locks instead.

I lie in more and plan less!This is after 67 days at sea and counting.

On my first cruise I was a kid at Christmas but now I just see what happens and when I wake up...I have never really booked excursions anyway but I didn't book any on my last cruise. I still research ports a lot.

I also drink less as I find I enjoy the cruise more but I also drink less when I go out on land.

We switched to packing light and planning less several years ago. It greatly increased our enjoyment-most particularly in recent years when we have been travelling extensively. Cruises and land travel. We never book ship excursions and only occasionally book private ones in advance. Nor do we book optional dining venues in advance. We may not feel like eating there on the reservation day. Had enough of planning business trips and stopping over planning vacation travel when we retired.

I'd say I do pack a little less...like, from 13 pairs of shoes in an entire rolling carry-on size suitcase to like 5 pairs.

I enjoy my sea days more.

I won't say I plan less, I'd say I plan smarter. I know what to look for and where to look when doing my research. I'm a meticulous planner when it comes to vacation so there's never going to be "less" planning. Going on a trip that I had no hand in planning gives me hives. Is it a bit of a control thing? Sure. But mostly, it's I enjoy doing the research and reading the reviews and finding the best deals.

I also don't smuggle alcohol after the first couple of cruises because I determined I'm way too lazy to stop what I'm doing and go back to my cabin to mix a drink so I'd always come back with the exact same amount I left with :')

I used to view a cruise simply as my hotel and transport in one, and hated sea days. I'm still all about the itinerary, but I've come to value the well-placed sea day.

When I first started I couldn't imagine spending more than a week on a ship. Now the longer the cruise the better. Where else could I have a sustained period of someone else cleaning my room, making my bed, preparing my meals, bringing me whatever my little heart desires, etc.? And, oddly enough, I've found that the longer I'm on board, the less likely I am to gain weight (and in fact usually drop a pound or two on longer cruises). With a longer cruise, there's no mindset that this is my one chance to enjoy this outrageous appetizer or that gooey dessert. I can say, I'll have that next week after I've been in some of the heavy walking ports.

I now know when a balcony is worth the extra money and when it is not.

I take the time and effort to get to know staff and crew better. There are a lot of truly fascinating people working on cruise ships.

I plan more, and have a better idea how to find private guides, how to determine whether a HoHo bus will work for what I want, and when to take a ship's excursion and how to pick one. I know to come to CC when I have questions--someone hear invariably knows the answer.

We've learned to pack in clear plastic bags. I put all my underwear in a bag and squeeze out the air as I zip it.

All shorts in another bag, t shirts in another, swimwear in another.

DH just uses grocery store bags with t shirts in one, etc.

Dinner clothes are hung on thin hangers, two outfits on one hanger, shirts and pants.

I can get all my sundresses on one hanger and this all goes in the garment bag.

Unpacking is so easy, we just leave everything in the bags, and use their hangers to spread out our clothes.

We used to do every thing, but that was 1991.

We are empty nesters now and cruising seems more relaxing. We still do some tours as we love snorkeling from the catamarans and the music and unusual drinks they make from the open bar......no problem mon!!:cool:

Question, will the alchemy bar make us a green iguana? We had it in Aruba last year...very potent!!

The Alchemy bar will make you ANYTHING!! They gave this LARGE book of drinks!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I agree with all of your ideas except the specialty restaurants. I loved the Italian restaurant for dinner and last summer on the Vista we loved JiJis. My issue is with the steakhouse, don't get me wrong, it is an awesome meal but just way to much food and I have a hard time knowing when I should stop eating. I can't have all of that food and leave room for beer. Maybe I'll try the steakhouse again and find something else to drink.

Probably time to switch to Celebrity's Gastrobar where beer is king and food is only a second thought!

We pack less, don't mind doing a load of laundry-it's a good time to catch a movie, something we don't ever get to do on land.

don't feel that I have to go to the MDR for dinner, if I just want something light and I don't want to dress up, I go lido.

did a western Caribbean cruise with no pre planned excursions, and created my own-spent 25.00 total per person for 4 ports-and had a blast! and we did 4 "marshhawk" excursions with one ending up developing a relationship between the Belize museum and a museum in the Atlanta area.

I take more naps (well I got older) but don't feel that I miss things as much.

I go to the comedy shows, but not the big shows, I learn how to fold towels but stay away from art shows.

when I am hungry I eat, thirsty I drink, and if I get tired, I just go to sleep, I don't worry about missing something. if I don't get it this trip, I know I will cruise again.

and thank you for this thread

Disclaimer: We are retired.

Book longer cruise. First one ever was 10 days. Upcoming will be 59. Yes, retirement is good.

Extend a holiday with a pre or post week stay in embarkation or disembarkation port. Usually in a rental apartment rather than a hotel. Generally much better value. You have already paid the airfare. Make the most of it.

We have learned what we enjoy and go for it after 30+ years of travel.

We order Room Service for breakfast ... no need to be up and out of the cabin at the crack of dawn. If we pick up buffet items for lunch we take a plate back to our cabin and enjoy lunch in peace and quiet. We love the Crown Grill on Princess (and similar venues on other lines) now go there every night. We eat like we do at home, keeping it simple and healthy. We prefer late - traditional style dining .

Take a nap in the afternoon. We do not rush. We know we do not need to see it all, we will be back... have repeated many ports of call around the world.

We always book a mini suite... like the extra space and we book the cabin we like and state no upgrade.

We book directly with the cruise line, book our own hotels, air and insurance - no need for a TA with internet access for information.

We pack less, but pack our formal clothes first, love to dress formal or informal for evenings. Take 6 pairs of shoes vs 12, lol. Day clothes are simple slacks and shirts... one pair of walking shoes.

Do our own tours, skip a lot of the on board activities... simply enjoy being at sea. Enjoy the ship when empty in port sometimes vs going ashore.

Play bingo only on the last day.

Bring our own wine on board happy to pay corking.

Shop in port for desserts (if we are in the Mediterranean) since we do not like the desserts on board.

Relax, tip well and recognize how lucky we are to be able to travel.

We research ports in advance of a trip, even use youtube to check out ports that are new.

Always travel to the ship a day or two in advance - use taxi or personal transfer to and from the ship.

Book premium air if at all possible and direct flights on one carrier (no code share) - air travel is the least fun part of all this, so try to make it less stressful.

1) Pack much less ...

Book private shore excursions.

Yes, we've always packed light; we find that a carry on and a tote are plenty -- it's not a sacrifice at all.

We've always done private shore excursions, and I don't understand the fear so many cruisers have of breaking away from the ship. However, now that it's just the two of us cruising, we are able to spend more on excursions.

1. I bring my cell phone and use it for staying in touch with my family My dad is elderly and it's important that I'm available in an emergency.
I think that's status quo.

8. We never do traditional dining anymore. Unless we go with a large group in the future, it will always be anytime dining for us.
Yeah, I don't miss traditional dining at all.

I have about 500 books available on my Ipad...that certainly wasn't possible 30 years ago!
Yes, that's a great change -- not just for cruising. I don't know if I can claim that's a difference I made; more like, it's an advance in technology of which I take advantage.

Other things we do now:

- We're no longer supervising kids, so we drink more than we used to -- but still not excessively.

- We rarely buy new clothes for a cruise; we have plenty at home.

- Oh, and when we retire in a couple years, we intend to opt for back-to-backs as often as possible. We're not quite there yet.

I started cruising at the age of 9, so one thing I do now that I didn't do for my first 10 or so cruises is pay for them myself. :')

Kidding aside, the trick is to know what matters to you and what doesn't. My cabin doesn't matter much to me -- I don't spend time in it. I'm happy with an inside because I'm generally only there to sleep, shower, and dress.

I used to bring a lot of outfits but got tired of all the time spent packing and unpacking. Now I'm more minimalist. This is helped, of course, by the continued downgrading of "formal nights" on most lines. Dressy casual is okay by me but I probably still am more on the side of dressy than casual...

I'm happy that most lines have options for laundry if needed. On longer cruises I hand wash some items and send others out. It's my vacation, not gonna spend time fighting over a dryer. :rolleyes:

I travel for the experiences ashore more than on the ship, but I do enjoy the occasional lazy day watching the ocean, and I adore sailaways and sail-ins (if I can get myself up early enough).

Whenever possible I enjoy the local cuisine -- MDR food ain't what it used to be on most lines, and I'm not a huge fan of the specialty restaurants on most lines (steakhouses aren't my thing, Italian restos that are nothing like the food one gets in Italy, etc.)