Galveston weather concerns

Actually, given I helped write the scheduling analysis software for a different line....

You are almost completely incorrect - I have to say almost because weather is a very very small part of the algorithm, so its not ignored completely.

The simple fact is that Alaska, the Med, etc command significantly higher per cabin revenues (not just fares) at that point of time than the Caribbean. Therefore the ships go there. Asia is also a factor. Since Alaska has a limited season, then ships move to the south to stay in the general area. If lines could fill the ships at the same rates and find berths, they would take every ship that could fit into Alaska from Mid May to August.

Weather comes in to play when they look at port schedules, so you may notice more itineraries in the western carib or eastern etc depending on trend analysis and in hurricane season tender ports may be deprioritized because even a large storm out to sea can make tendering a challenge., but you will see an equal number of adjustments due to things like security concerns and disembarkation by port, berth availability, and port incentives. The other place where weather comes indirectly into play is because of fears of hurricanes, the average fare is lower in that area due to demand.

Schedules are set years in advance when no one has any idea what hurricanes will be doing and that they are easily avoided with port changes, the storm potential is a non factor in predictive routing. Changes related to weather typically are made no more than 2 weeks out.

LOL....we know you can't possibly be serious. :rolleyes:

The cost of any hurricane that impacts any Caribbean port could wipe out their revenue for months (obviously Florida ports would be a worse case scenario)...so yes...they do move them primarily for reducing risk and potential lost revenue. It doesn't take more than one major storm to disrupt things - one bad storm in Atlanta last year cost Delta 4 months of revenue...the cruise industry has a similar situation.

Make sure you get all the insurance on the rental car too.

There are vehicles at the terminal right now so I guess some staff are there and trying to see what can be done.

We grab one of the envelopes that invitations come in and use it to store our receipts. Last few cruises, we stick a 9x12" envelope w/ our cruise docs. Much easier if we need to file a claim.

Hurricanes in May are quite rare. I remember a Cat 3 in May of 1951 (Hurricane Able) that caused much damage to the North Carolina coast.

Did you actually read what I wrote? I simply gave the official season. Complain to the US government if you disagree, not me.

Completely normal except for the elephant in the room. ;) It's a beautiful slightly overcast day.

Assuming we get to Galveston tomorrow it's going to be a cluster on board. When do we get off? In what order? Will there be enough ground personnel or is reduced staffing going to be a problem?

My biggest concern is being able to find a route off Galveston island to get to I-10. What's going on in Galveston isn't the only issue many of us are facing.

We'll cross those bridges (no pun intended) when we get to them.

At this point, Harborside Drive is underwater. The cruise lot says cars are okay so far, but no way to get in or out of the parking lot. Some of the access roads on the beltway are closed due to high water....and we should get 5-8 more inches by tomorrow morning.

Latest chapter:

Well, after a couple of calls to RCI which were of no help whatsoever, we headed to the airport. About half way there I got an alert saying that the second leg of our flight into HOU was cancelled. We are back home and I am on hold with the airline trying to get the first leg cancelled and possibly rescheduled. If RCI would just say that they are going to offer some compensation if we cannot get there it would be a lot less stressful. I asked the RCI "Resolutions agent" what happens if I fly into the hurricane zone and the ship cannot dock. Any compensation? Cannot answer. What happens if my flight gets cancelled and the ship does dock? Will I lose my money? Can't answer. Are you going to do anything for people who are having problems but trying to make the cruise that is allegedly on schedule? No answer. So you are saying that I need to fly into a hurricane area or risk losing my cruise? Basically yes. But you put the safety of guests first? Absolutely. So telling them that their cruise is on schedule and they need to go into the vicinity of a hurricane and related storm activity is looking out for their safety? No answer to that question.

Latest chapter:

Well, after a couple of calls to RCI which were of no help whatsoever, we headed to the airport. About half way there I got an alert saying that the second leg of our flight into HOU was cancelled. We are back home and I am on hold with the airline trying to get the first leg cancelled and possibly rescheduled. If RCI would just say that they are going to offer some compensation if we cannot get there it would be a lot less stressful. I asked the RCI "Resolutions agent" what happens if I fly into the hurricane zone and the ship cannot dock. Any compensation? Cannot answer. What happens if my flight gets cancelled and the ship does dock? Will I lose my money? Can't answer. Are you going to do anything for people who are having problems but trying to make the cruise that is allegedly on schedule? No answer. So you are saying that I need to fly into a hurricane area or risk losing my cruise? Basically yes. But you put the safety of guests first? Absolutely. So telling them that their cruise is on schedule and they need to go into the vicinity of a hurricane and related storm activity is looking out for their safety? No answer to that question.

Your in inbound trip is cancelled. Now your travel insurance will pay. Perfect.

Latest chapter:

Hang in there EB, positive thoughts.

Even if you didn't take out trip insurance, your credit card may provide coverage.

I did not buy the cruise line insurance but I do have some coverage on my card. It is a bit of a grey area as to whether I am covered if the ship does indeed go tomorrow. I have never used it and have called but I cannot get an answer as to my exact situation right now. It is more or less "it depends". I do not think I would get full coverage either way. My best bet is to be on the ship if it goes tomorrow but that seems to be getting more difficult by the hour.

Let me save a few people some typing:

We sailed during hurricane season which is completely insane which makes it all our fault.

We did not buy the cruise specific insurance and depended on trip insurance that we did not completely research which makes it all our fault.

We have to expect this sort of thing and RCI is doing things perfectly according to "standard practice" so we have no basis for complaint.

I hope that covers it but probably not.

Does everyone really think that all the people that work at the port, will be able to get to the port, and resupply the ship if the ship can even get into port.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You're pretty much singing to the choir but until RC cancels, passengers need to treat it like a go or lose money.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

EBFURR - I'm really sorry to hear that! I've been following this thread, and I can't believe that RCI isn't offering you a chance to change to a different cruise! Do you have a travel agent, by any chance? Maybe they could go to bat for you. Either way, I really hope you can get something figured out and have a great anniversary! We're on the Liberty in October for a milestone anniversary, so I completely understand. I'd be furious with RCI if I were you.

I hope that everyone affected by this, either on a ship or onshore, stays safe!!

I believe this is now under the 'trip interruption' part of your coverage.

I would focus less on the fact that the cruise may still sail and concentrate on the fact that your flights were cancelled. The insurance company will not be able to find another way for you to get there, so your coverage should kick in.

I did not buy the cruise line insurance but I do have some coverage on my card. It is a bit of a grey area as to whether I am covered if the ship does indeed go tomorrow. I have never used it and have called but I cannot get an answer as to my exact situation right now. It is more or less "it depends". I do not think I would get full coverage either way. My best bet is to be on the ship if it goes tomorrow but that seems to be getting more difficult by the hour.

Let me save a few people some typing:

We sailed during hurricane season which is completely insane which makes it all our fault.

We did not buy the cruise specific insurance and depended on trip insurance that we did not completely research which makes it all our fault.

We have to expect this sort of thing and RCI is doing things perfectly according to "standard practice" so we have no basis for complaint.

I hope that covers it but probably not.

EB I am with you, I think it's ridiculous to expect people to purchase insurance to protect a vacation. Never have or will purchase it. If the company you are using for your vacation stands by there product they should step up and take care of you in rare instances.

I also despise companies that charge service fees for the work that is expected out of there employees

That's my thought as well. If you have insurance you don't have to worry now. Your flight is cancelled.:D

I believe this is now under the 'trip interruption' part of your coverage.

I would focus less on the fact that the cruise may still sail and concentrate on the fact that your flights were cancelled. The insurance company will not be able to find another way for you to get there, so your coverage should kick in.

If you are referring to EBFURR, they have indicated that they did not purchase insurance.

Latest chapter:

That is unbelievable. Especially since Carnival has given their passengers the option to cancel with a credit. Best of luck to you, EB, and stay safe. I like the idea of contacting the media with your dilemma. Would love to see Royal embarrassed on their very bad decision.