re meat pies

16 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

We left Melbourne this morning, just stopped at the bakery at Rosedale for a pie. One of the items on their pie menu amused me: 

20210315_123624.thumb.jpg.703d02d979b1b68f7c15d162e990a0c6.jpg

They were excellent pies too.

Good selection of pies.  Which pie did you choose?  My favourite from that list is steak and kidney.  

10 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Good selection of pies.  Which pie did you choose?  My favourite from that list is steak and kidney.  

DH had steak and curry. I wanted steak and pepper but those weren't ready so I had steak and onion instead.

2 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

DH had steak and curry. I wanted steak and pepper but those weren't ready so I had steak and onion instead.

Cant beat a quick pie when you are on the road.  I hope you have an enjoyable time at Batesman Bay. Look at the ocean and think of your cruises to NZ just across the water.  

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

The Fat B...... pie looks interesting.😆

Yes, that was the one that amused me.

The pie I had was almost the perfect pie. The pastry was crisp, flaky, and even. The filling was tender and juicy with just enough thickening to hold it together without being gluey. The only negative was that it could have been a bit bigger in height, it was just a tad small. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Yes, that was the one that amused me.

The pie I had was almost the perfect pie. The pastry was crisp, flaky, and even. The filling was tender and juicy with just enough thickening to hold it together without being gluey. The only negative was that it could have been a bit bigger in height, it was just a tad small. 

You should have had a sausage roll for the entree, to fill you up. Good pie shop on left of highway, north end of Cobargo.

13 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

My daughter brought home a deep rectangular chunky steak family pie from Yandina Markets, which we had for tea.  I served it with mashed potato, whole baby carrots and polka dot sweet corn.  

Up near ye olde Ginger Factory? Been there many times. The markets must be a fairly recent addition to the local scene, are they in the street?  Pie sounds good.

14 hours ago, NSWP said:

You should have had a sausage roll for the entree, to fill you up. Good pie shop on left of highway, north end of Cobargo.

Or one of their delicious-looking vanilla slices. The sausage rolls looked good too.

39 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Up near ye olde Ginger Factory? Been there many times. The markets must be a fairly recent addition to the local scene, are they in the street?  Pie sounds good.

Pie was good for a family meal, so we'll be visiting the pie lady again.  The markets have been around for a long time, but used to be much smaller country market  They are held in sports grounds on Sat morning.  You have to get there early to get the best of the fresh local fruit and veg.  Not as many plants as there used to be.  Food - sourdough bread, home made thai food, fresh seafood, etc.  Enough stalls of interest.  We bought two old rakes last time we visited.  One was hand made by a blacksmith.  My daughters buy ginger beer with rum at the Ginger Factory.  There is a fabulous coffee shop opposite the Ginger Factory now.  I've mentioned the great pies from the Pie Shop before.  Your granddaughter may have visited this market which is popular with locals.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, possum52 said:

Next to Nutworks Marion?

Leigh

I remember Nutworks. At the Ginger Factory I liked the little train that used to go around the place. Last time I was there, about 10 years ago I suppose, it was a little run down, needed a cash injection.

Edited by NSWP

14 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I remember Nutworks. At the Ginger Factory I liked the little train that used to go around the place. Last time I was there, about 10 years ago I suppose, it was a little run down, needed a cash injection.

The train (Moreton?) was still going around last time we were there Les. I remember I spent far too much in the shop and then across at Nutworks!

Leigh

• Like 1

3 hours ago, possum52 said:

Next to Nutworks Marion?

Leigh

I haven't been to Nutworks, Leigh, but it is on the corner opposite Ginger Factory.  The little train still goes around the Ginger Factory.  Ginger Factory is still very popular with families.  We park at coffee shop and walk across as you are lucky to get a park. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

Garlos Pies had a staring role on The Amazing Race last night😄. They had to make pies at their factory, interesting to see how they were made and the judge was tough on them😉

That would have been interesting. Good promo for Garlos too.

3649819.jpg.2b580569db5cd3472e1a8245dd575d98.jpg

• Like 1

I was at Coles this morning, spotted these, so I purchased a pack of the beef pies and the quiche lorraine  ones. Coles own brand, $7 a pack which for gf stuff is reasonable.  Not sampled them yet.

download.jpg

Edited by NSWP

Sad to see this, I have been part of more than one very early morning/middle of the night run to Cafe de Vilis back in the day, before so many 24hr servos it was one of the few places to get a feed to soak up alcohol. Vili and his wife Rosemary are genuinely good people.

• Like 2

I just read Adelaide has pie floaters - pies in mushy pea soup.  The article said the pie floaters continued after the pie carts left.  We had pie carts in Brisbane, but no pie floaters that I recall.  I can remember getting up on the stools at the pie cart for my hot pie, all dressed up, after a night out.  

I'll have to have a pie floater next time I'm in Adelaide.  I love the way Adelaide has kept its traditions which are long gone in Eastern States.