re meat pies

47 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

The type of scallops in a Tasmanian pie are the seafood type like you've shown. They are usually just called scallops.

Some places in Australia call battered slices of potato scallops but they are usually referred to as "potato scallops" They are also called potato cakes or potato fritters. In NZ they are potato fritters. 

In Qld. we call them potato scallops and just scallops (sea).  No I don't like tomato sauce on chips.  I only eat it on home made hamburger patties.  I have had chips with vinegar in UK and with mayonnaise in France and Belgium.  Snacking on cooked tiger beetroot - yummy!

4 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Don't ask for cheerios in Victoria.  When my girlfriend was told little boys she fell about laughing!

Aren't cheerios cereal Marion? Little boys are what we refer to as cocktail frankfurts.

Leigh

29 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Thanks Julie, I can see how a scallop "pie" could be a problem. How do you get the pie crust baked nicely and not overcook the scallops. I guess you could bake the shell empty and then fill it with a scallop mixture, maybe some bechamel with tarragon and leeks use a potato topping and bake it off quickly.

That's always been my concern too which is why I've never tried one. I like my scallops barely cooked - seared on the outside but still glassy in the middle. However next time I'm in Tasmania I might be brave and try a scallop pie.

19 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Aren't cheerios cereal Marion? Little boys are what we refer to as cocktail frankfurts.

Leigh

No they are cocktail frankfurters, what you call little boys.  There is a cereal called cheerios.  However, you wouldn't want to bring cereal to a lunch, if you were asked to bring the cheerios!

3 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Someone told me that was a "Tiger" pie.

Lyle, just to be clear, Tiger is a Harry’s term, it was Harry’s nickname, something Aussies were once notorious for, if you ask for aTiger at another pie stop, you may get a funny look. As for a floater, yuck... there that’ll fix ‘Em Gut knocking back a pie.

2 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Lyle, just to be clear, Tiger is a Harry’s term, it was Harry’s nickname, something Aussies were once notorious for, if you ask for aTiger at another pie stop, you may get a funny look. As for a floater, yuck... there that’ll fix ‘Em Gut knocking back a pie.

Yes during my monthes long studies of pies on this forum I have learned that the term "tiger" is reference to a way that pies may be requested at Harry's Cafe de Wheels which included the potatoes, mushy peas and gravy. I also learned about the "floater" some time back. I will continue to do research on this important subject while we wait for our chance to do some on site training early next year.

13 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

No they are cocktail frankfurters, what you call little boys.  There is a cereal called cheerios.  However, you wouldn't want to bring cereal to a lunch, if you were asked to bring the cheerios!

Where are cocktail franks called cheerios?  Is it a brand?

Leigh

2 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Where are cocktail franks called cheerios?  Is it a brand?

Leigh

In NZ. I don't know where the name came from, I don't think it's a brand. They were also known as cocktail saveloys, but never called cocktail franks.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Yes during my monthes long studies of pies on this forum I have learned that the term "tiger" is reference to a way that pies may be requested at Harry's Cafe de Wheels which included the potatoes, mushy peas and gravy. I also learned about the "floater" some time back. I will continue to do research on this important subject while we wait for our chance to do some on site training early next year.

At the Kiama pie shop their version of the Tiger is called a Blowhole Pie after the blowhole that Kiama is famous for.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

In NZ. I don't know where the name came from, I don't think it's a brand. They were also known as cocktail saveloys, but never called cocktail franks.

Thanks Julie, are they called cheerios in Aus? I have never heard them called that before. 

In Vic, we call them little boys, cocktail tranks or cocktail frankfurts.

Leigh

Edited by possum52

3 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

In Qld. we call them potato scallops and just scallops (sea).  No I don't like tomato sauce on chips.  I only eat it on home made hamburger patties.  I have had chips with vinegar in UK and with mayonnaise in France and Belgium.  Snacking on cooked tiger beetroot - yummy!

Potato cakes down here.

Edited by NSWP

2 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

In Queensland, Leigh.  They have always been cheerios in Queensland during my time. 

2 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

In Queensland, Leigh.  They have always been cheerios in Queensland during my time. 

We had this  discussion a few months ago, I never heard them called cheerios, in nsw, little boys, saveloys or cocktail franks.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

On 3/24/2021 at 1:11 PM, NSWP said:

I was at Coles this morning, spotted these, so I purchased a pack of the beef pies and the quiche lorraine  ones. Coles own brand, $7 a pack which for gf stuff is reasonable.  Not sampled them yet.

download.jpg

Mic you asked for a report, tried the beef 🥧 pie  today, minced beef, tasty. I baked it in oven for 30 minutes, pastry was a bit hard so i made some gravy and poured over. It was ok, but not great. Pastry makers rarely get gf pastry right. Will try the quiche in a couple of days and report accordingly..

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, NSWP said:

We had this  discussion a few months ago, I never heard them called cheerios, in nsw, little boys, saveloys or cocktail franks.

I always take a kilo of cheerios, tomato sauce, and container of toothpicks, when we have Friendship day.  Easy to keep hot on stove.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I always take a kilo of cheerios, tomato sauce, and container of toothpicks, when we have Friendship day.  Easy to keep hot on stove.  

yes an easy snack.

8 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Thanks Julie, I can see how a scallop "pie" could be a problem. How do you get the pie crust baked nicely and not overcook the scallops. I guess you could bake the shell empty and then fill it with a scallop mixture, maybe some bechamel with tarragon and leeks use a potato topping and bake it off quickly.

The scallop pies in Tasmania are cooked with the roe. The one I had was in a curry sauce. The roe becomes nice a mushy and adds to the sauce. Personally I liked it but then I enjoy the funky roe flavour. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NSWP said:

Mic you asked for a report, tried the beef 🥧 pie  today, minced beef, tasty. I baked it in oven for 30 minutes, pastry was a bit hard so i made some gravy and poured over. It was ok, but not great. Pastry makers rarely get gf pastry right. Will try the quiche in a couple of days and report accordingly..

I rarely shop at Coles, but I’ll make the effort if the quiches taste good. I am coeliac.  For frozen pies, I microwave for 2 minutes then into the oven on 160 degrees for 20 mins. Crisp and perfectly cooked. I’ve actually found gluten free pastry on pies to be nice and crisp.  Frozen sheets of the raw stuff, however, is worse than useless!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, lyndarra said:

One day this week I think I'll have a chip butty with dead horse.

Okay Lyndon, I think I know what you are talking about but I have heard many variations of a "Butty" discussed. Some say for it to be a "butty" it is made with one end slice of bread folded over. I take it that a chip batty has chips (French fries) in it. Does this delicacy involve bacon? I think all butties should have bacon...it should be a rule😁

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

Okay Lyndon, I think I know what you are talking about but I have heard many variations of a "Butty" discussed. Some say for it to be a "butty" it is made with one end slice of bread folded over. I take it that a chip batty has chips (French fries) in it. Does this delicacy involve bacon? I think all butties should have bacon...it should be a rule😁

Yes Lyle, a chip sandwich (2 slices of thickly buttered bread) or maybe a chip roll. What a friend from Manchester always called a chip butty or buttie was a buttered bread roll filled with chips with or without sauce.

image.jpeg.023f845360309e78e8a06ff08af80a4f.jpeg               image.jpeg.a49e503863fab5059b9c0fafdee4f00e.jpeg

Leigh

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Yes Lyle, a chip sandwich (2 slices of thickly buttered bread) or maybe a chip roll. What a friend from Manchester always called a chip butty or buttie was a buttered bread roll filled with chips with or without sauce.

image.jpeg.023f845360309e78e8a06ff08af80a4f.jpeg               image.jpeg.a49e503863fab5059b9c0fafdee4f00e.jpeg

Leigh

A chip butty can be a bread roll or slice of bread with hot chips therein, salt, sauce, vinegar optional.

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

Then it would be a bacon butty or bacon sarney which is popular in uk, the transport road houses where the lorry drivers stop have been serving bacon buttie and bacon sarnies for a 100 years. The Brits love it with HP Sauce or other brown sauce.

Like Lyle I am a bacon freak. But not the nuked stuff served on the American ships.

1403466151_th(1).jpg.01dc2e2634d670789d87cee8051c816c.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, possum52 said:

Leigh

It'll be sliced bread or a bun. I haven't decided which but I'm leaning towards the latter ATM.

• Like 1