Where is Liberty and How are Things On board?

:D:D

I am on the Liberty now. I believe the ship doctor resolved the medical issues. My husband was down there because yes, he did not pack enough medication for our extended cruise days! Lesson learned! He had to pay $88 for the office visit and the cost of medication. I do not know if we are covered for this with trip insurance or not, but it is a small price to pay. They are very well stocked with medication and were knowledgable. Other than the crowds of people in the same situation, we were thankful they were there. One of the emergencies was a gentleman with diabetes who had spiked blood sugar. I believe the doctor was able to stabilize him.

I have to say, I was feeling a little concerned that they were trying to get me off the ship for several reasons. They wanted to get the new paying customers on the ship. Also, the minute I walked down the gangway they were relieved of being responsible for me. They could take the new passengers and get out of town during the "window of opportunity" the Captain kept referring to.

I have no reason really to base those feelings. Never did he say if he got in the port we had to leave, really. I will say I truly have no clue what they were trying to do and I was right there. The crew kept telling us that they did not think we were going anywhere. They had more faith than I did. I admit I was very worried about driving home through Houston. My employer was very kind and understanding. My husband's employer was as well. Life is good and we are very grateful to be here happy and healthy!

One experience like this will not change how I feel about anything. Every single day we take a risk. I feel extremely blessed this morning as I sit on my balcony and sip coffee. All my children, their spouses and grandchildren are with me on this trip. Today is my sons birthday. I truly feel overwhelmed with joy.

I lke your attitude! Enjoy those extra days with your family!

I'm not sure where all of this is coming from. The Liberty and its passengers have always been taken care of and safety has never been an issue. There will be many opinions as to what is considered acting "SMARTLY" -- yours being only one of them. Since, I'm guessing you have zero experience working for a cruise line, I'd say your opinion matters much less than Royal Caribbean's. As for the "accountants" -- there is a lot more to think about than just a "financial hit" -- they also have to consider the affect of their decision on passengers who have been planning for and looking forward to a cruise vacation that is now going to be affected and/or cancelled by whatever decision is made. It's not as black and white as you would like to believe.

Did RCI consider the effect of keeping people hanging and waiting until turn around day to tell those folks whose vacations that they are supposedly so worried about to not bother showing up? I doubt that most of those people were planing to leave their homes at 9 AM for a 5 PM sail-a-way. Did they consider the effect of bringing that ship in through some "window" to an area with mass flooding where people might have better things to do right now then service this ship and turn it around? Sorry but I don't see either group as having been treated with much respect. I don't have to work for a cruise line to come to that opinion. But you are right, there will be many opinions on this matter. That is just mine.

And nobody is arguing that the ship or its passengers were ever in danger.

I am on the Liberty now. I believe the ship doctor resolved the medical issues. My husband was down there because yes, he did not pack enough medication for our extended cruise days! Lesson learned! He had to pay $88 for the office visit and the cost of medication. I do not know if we are covered for this with trip insurance or not, but it is a small price to pay. They are very well stocked with medication and were knowledgable. Other than the crowds of people in the same situation, we were thankful they were there. One of the emergencies was a gentleman with diabetes who had spiked blood sugar. I believe the doctor was able to stabilize him.

I have to say, I was feeling a little concerned that they were trying to get me off the ship for several reasons. They wanted to get the new paying customers on the ship. Also, the minute I walked down the gangway they were relieved of being responsible for me. They could take the new passengers and get out of town during the "window of opportunity" the Captain kept referring to.

I have no reason really to base those feelings. Never did he say if he got in the port we had to leave, really. I will say I truly have no clue what they were trying to do and I was right there. The crew kept telling us that they did not think we were going anywhere. They had more faith than I did. I admit I was very worried about driving home through Houston. My employer was very kind and understanding. My husband's employer was as well. Life is good and we are very grateful to be here happy and healthy!

One experience like this will not change how I feel about anything. Every single day we take a risk. I feel extremely blessed this morning as I sit on my balcony and sip coffee. All my children, their spouses and grandchildren are with me on this trip. Today is my sons birthday. I truly feel overwhelmed with joy.

Except for the medication issue (thankfully we're not on any), i could have written this. Thanks for posting.

Most Importantly,

As for you RC, tell the accountants to go back into their offices and do the safe, smart and right thing, instead of trying to squeeze into Galveston. It took you TOO LONG to make the right decision.

It took you days to so what Carnival did immediately, go to safe harbor, take care of your guest, cancel the next cruise and take the financial hit.

The GOOD WILL, of acting SAFELY, SMARTLY, and RAPIDY will make up for the hit on the next quarters earnings over the long run.

One mans opine, from a retired US Navy, Navigator and long time RC cruiser.

Respectfully....

Stock was up on Friday and up today. Investors must think Rcl is acting with them in mind. Stock is now within a dollar of a five year high. The hits for rcl just keep coming..

Stock was up on Friday and up today. Investors must think Rcl is acting with them in mind. Stock is now within a dollar of a five year high. The hits for rcl just keep coming..

You are correct proof positive RCL will go to any extreme to make a buck.

RCI newsflash:

We are happy to announce - To make it easier for the next passengers to board the Liberty we will be docking right downtown Houston next Sunday during a window of opportunity!

As that will be so much more convenient for you and you save the shuttle to Galveston we will need to add a down-town fuel-surcharge of $69,95 +18% to your sailpass account!;p

Edited by Thorben-Hendrik

RCI newsflash:

We are happy to announce - To make it easier for the next passengers to board the Liberty we will be docking right downtown Houston next Sunday.

As that will be so much more convenient for you and you save the shuttle to Galveston we will need to add a down-town fuel-surcharge of $69,95 +18% to your sailpass account!;p

Not funny. You do realize people there are still in harms way? Including my family...

I would have MUCH rather been a passenger on LOS Saturday and Sunday than been a passenger on the next cruise who was being directed to the disaster area right up until cancellation on Sunday. I have no doubt that the cruise ship itself was being well directed and never in real danger, I think you would agree with that.

You still haven't answered why it was with "passenger safety in mind" that those folks were expected to travel to the disaster area.

I will probably regret weighing in on this but, oh well. You have hit the biggest issue where I believe that RCL erred from a public relations position from the point that the huge amounts of rain were being forecast for the area. Telling people to continue with their journeys to the area with the port being closed was wrong on every level. Traveler safety should have been the most important consideration. Airlines were cancelling flights, the port had been closed, and the weather forecast was getting more dire and RCL was still not acting in the best interests of the August 27 cruisers. They should have said if you feel uneasy or at risk with your plans, a full credit on a future cruise will be honored. Once things became so bad flooding wise, someone finally came to their senses at RCL and saw the PR mess that had been created. So now full refunds are available, you would have thought that the light bulb would have come on sooner. There were some posters on here who went ahead and flew into the area because of RCL's self interested wallowing. Those folks really should be compensated by RCL. And I know people will bring up trip insurance. This was poor behavior by a company whose product that most on here have enjoyed in the past.

For a few people on here to keep blindly defending the behavior is sad. I have noticed some of the more strident folks have slunk away from the issue of how this was handled. Putting your customers at risk because of the all mighty dollar is not a very good look.

While some of the events going on the Liberty as to how the Captain was relaying information to the passengers seems a little alarming. I do not think that RCL would have put those passengers in direct harm's way. Sending one ship through a hurricane should have been enough. It did seem that the "home office" was pushing out most of the information coming from the Captain. It is just sad that it took RCL so long to get their act together.

Folks throwing around stuff like: will C&A points be awarded, are the drink packages free, etc. is kind of sad. I know everyone on here cares about the devastation happening in Texas and most likely headed to Louisiana. Unfortunately, reading some of the posting on here makes it seem that is being forgotten.

Do you think RCI cares about people in Galveston or Houston?

I am not so sure...as they already announced they will be docking next Friday in Galveton.....:confused:

What exactly do you think the 3 Carnival ships waiting outside for the port to open are going to do? Just sit out there beyond Friday if the port has opened back up?

I will probably regret weighing in on this but, oh well. You have hit the biggest issue where I believe that RCL erred from a public relations position from the point that the huge amounts of rain were being forecast for the area. Telling people to continue with their journeys to the area with the port being closed was wrong on every level. Traveler safety should have been the most important consideration. Airlines were cancelling flights, the port had been closed, and the weather forecast was getting more dire and RCL was still not acting in the best interests of the August 27 cruisers. They should have said if you feel uneasy or at risk with your plans, a full credit on a future cruise will be honored. Once things became so bad flooding wise, someone finally came to their senses at RCL and saw the PR mess that had been created. So now full refunds are available, you would have thought that the light bulb would have come on sooner. There were some posters on here who went ahead and flew into the area because of RCL's self interested wallowing. Those folks really should be compensated by RCL. And I know people will bring up trip insurance. This was poor behavior by a company whose product that most on here have enjoyed in the past.

For a few people on here to keep blindly defending the behavior is sad. I have noticed some of the more strident folks have slunk away from the issue of how this was handled. Putting your customers at risk because of the all mighty dollar is not a very good look.

While some of the events going on the Liberty as to how the Captain was relaying information to the passengers seems a little alarming. I do not think that RCL would have put those passengers in direct harm's way. Sending one ship through a hurricane should have been enough. It did seem that the "home office" was pushing out most of the information coming from the Captain. It is just sad that it took RCL so long to get their act together.

Folks throwing around stuff like: will C&A points be awarded, are the drink packages free, etc. is kind of sad. I know everyone on here cares about the devastation happening in Texas and most likely headed to Louisiana. Unfortunately, reading some of the posting on here makes it seem that is being forgotten.

Pushing the "Like" button.

I don't understand how any ship would plan on going into Galveston. All the main roads out of there are flooded and closed. Galveston residents are being airlifted out due to no food or supplies.

How are cruise passengers supposed to get off the island?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

And WHERE did you get this information?

Misinformation can be deadly!!!

FACTS:

The City of Galveston is fine AND has been!

The mainland has flooded roads - NOT Galveston!

We are NOT being airlifted off the Island! Evacuees from the mainland are to be airlifted to cities further north. They DID NOT live on the Island!

We are NOT out of food OR supplies! Grocers are open and receiving deliveries! Restaurants are open! City Hall is open!

How do I know this? I LIVE here! mid town, 20 blocks to the port!

We NEVER lost power, only minor street flooding due to heavy rain - drained!!!

Cable, satellite and internet working! In our 1867 home with A/C - NO ISSUES!!!

Also very much involved with the City; met with City Manager this morning offering assistance to our emergency personnel. All is good and quiet.

Before EVER stating something, confirm facts first!

I don't understand how any ship would plan on going into Galveston. All the main roads out of there are flooded and closed. Galveston residents are being airlifted out due to no food or supplies.

How are cruise passengers supposed to get off the island?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

84954e094ca03ab649efea3d821c4c3e.jpg

Sure wish people who don't know what they are talking about would stop spreading rumors. The photo was just taken in Galveston my sister lives on Tiki Island Hotels are open as well as many stores and restaurants. Galveston isn't Houston.

Stop It!!![emoji35]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Well this is a most unusual cruise for those folks that got on last week. Looks like it will be a 2 week cruise. I always wondered what would happen if a ship couldn't return to original embarkation/return port. Surprised they didn't divert to Tampa since RCL does cruises from there but perhaps it was out of season. For the folks onboard they will have a fun story about an extra week at sea,

FACTS:

We are NOT being airlifted off the Island! Evacuees from the mainland are to be airlifted to cities further north. They DID NOT live on the Island!

We are NOT out of food OR supplies! Grocers are open and receiving deliveries! Restaurants are open! City Hall is open!

Also very much involved with the City; met with City Manager this morning offering assistance to our emergency personnel. All is good and quiet.

Thank you for posting factual first hand experience. :)

FACTS:

I must have been posting the same time you were.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Well this is a most unusual cruise for those folks that got on last week. Looks like it will be a 2 week cruise. I always wondered what would happen if a ship couldn't return to original embarkation/return port. Surprised they didn't divert to Tampa since RCL does cruises from there but perhaps it was out of season. For the folks onboard they will have a fun story about an extra week at sea,

Freedom-class ships are too tall to get under the Sunshine Skyway Bridge.

The ship wont fit under the Skyway Bridge. :( That is why that have to go to Miami.

FACTS:

In their defense, I also saw the evacuation information posted on weather.com website, though I do not see it now. It said it was because the island was running out of fuel and food (which seems silly to me, as how could they run out this soon??)