Crisp of the Day

MVPinBoynton

And another fan of the HAL dessert crisps (crumbles?). Blueberry-mango comes to mind. However on our recent Prinsendam cruise the topping was too hard and tasted a bit like breakfast cereal.

Note: this was perhaps the only misstep from Prinsendam's kitchen. The cuisine was much above the normal HAL product.

Edited by shrimp56

And another fan of the HAL dessert crisps (crumbles?). Blueberry-mango comes to mind. However on our recent Prinsendam cruise the topping was too hard and tasted a bit like breakfast cereal.

Note: this was perhaps the only misstep from Prinsendam's kitchen. The cuisine was much above the normal HAL product.

I do normally refer to them as crumbles also. Just a wonderful dessert.

In honor of POA1, was there a prune crisp, by chance?

Never saw a prune crisp. I hope they don't discontinue them as long as my father-in-law is around. It's his favorite dessert and he lights up like a little kid when the dining room steward suggests a scoop of ice cream on top.

I realize the question is about the MDR, but my last few cruises they also had a fruit crisp/crumble at lunch in the Lido - next to the bread pudding. This makes me happy as I seldom have dessert at dinner time.

According to the great source of information, Google, Crisp and Crumble are basically the same. Cobblers are different due to the manner in which the topping is prepared.

Also known as a crumble or a cobbler.

We make a crisp (crumble) with butter, brown sugar, uncooked oatmeal and flower that is mixed up and spread over the top of the fruit and baked. We make cobbler with Bisquick as the only ingredient that is spread over the top of the fruit and baked.

I have always enjoyed HALs crisps even if the toppings are a little different than what we make.