Expiring VISA points...what to do?

BopRN

I have 19,000+ points but 400 of those expire at the end of this month. We had planned to use points for onboard credit for our March 16th cruise. What can I do to keep those 400 points? If the redeemed points are good for 6 months out, should I redeem the full amount I was wanting this early? The end of March is 6 months from the end of Sept.

I have 19,000+ points but 400 of those expire at the end of this month. We had planned to use points for onboard credit for our March 16th cruise. What can I do to keep those 400 points? If the redeemed points are good for 6 months out, should I redeem the full amount I was wanting this early? The end of March is 6 months from the end of Sept.

ALL of your points are reaching the 5 year mark? If you redeem, they will take the oldest points first.

Once you redeem the points for OBC, you can move that OBC to another cruise if your plans change, Just don't cancel the cruise before you move the OBC because the OBC would be lost then.

Once instead of redeeming points for OBC we called CC and asked if there is other way to receive money back. They sent us $80 for 10,000 points (which would be otherwise credited as $100 OBC). This was an NCL card through same Bank of America.

I guess what I am asking, too.... is the timeframe OK for using the OBC until the end of March? Or will that redeemed "certificate" expire on March 1? Just want to make sure that I'm not ordering $150 of 0BC that is going to go down the drain.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I guess what I am asking, too.... is the timeframe OK for using the OBC until the end of March? Or will that redeemed "certificate" expire on March 1? Just want to make sure that I'm not ordering $150 of 0BC that is going to go down the drain.

There are no certificates anymore. You redeem using the B of A website and the OBC is applied directly to your booking.

There are no certificates anymore. You redeem using the B of A website and the OBC is applied directly to your booking.

Yes, I am aware of that. Just needing to know about the 6 months time frame for redeeming the points.

Yes, I am aware of that. Just needing to know about the 6 months time frame for redeeming the points.

You can redeem the points as soon as you have a booking to which the OBC can be applied. Not sure what the 6 month time frame is.:confused:

I thought I read somewhere (on another CC thread) that they don't withdraw/post the points/OBC until just a few weeks before the sail date. So if OP's points expire the end of this month but cruise isn't until March, how does he get them to go ahead and pull/apply? (I am learning here too!)

Once you redeem the points for OBC, you can move that OBC to another cruise if your plans change, Just don't cancel the cruise before you move the OBC because the OBC would be lost then.

FAQ section has always said points redeemed are non- transferable. Is that only if you use the points towards payment and not OBC, or is this something new?

I thought I read somewhere (on another CC thread) that they don't withdraw/post the points/OBC until just a few weeks before the sail date. So if OP's points expire the end of this month but cruise isn't until March, how does he get them to go ahead and pull/apply? (I am learning here too!)

As long as the redemption is made (even though the OBC may not be applied yet) before the points expiration, they will be fine.

You can redeem the points as soon as you have a booking to which the OBC can be applied. Not sure what the 6 month time frame is.:confused:

This is from the RCCL Rewards page.....

If you are booking directly through Royal Caribbean,

Celebrity Cruises or Azamara, you must redeem your MyCruise Reward prior to making your final payment

for the cruise vacation. MyCruise Points may be redeemed for a MyCruise Reward by logging into your

account at

RoyalCaribbean.com/MyCruiseRewardsOnline

. Each Reward Redemption expires one hundred

and eighty (180) days from its date of issue.

Celebrity Cruises or Azamara, you must redeem your MyCruise Reward prior to making your final payment

for the cruise vacation. MyCruise Points may be redeemed for a MyCruise Reward by logging into your

account at

I think that is old terminology from when they issued paper coupons for the redemptions. Once the redemption has been applied to a booking, I don't believe there is any expiration.

account at

So what exactly are you asking? If you are trying to use the Reward Redemption 181 or more days from its date of issue it will be expired. If you are trying to use the Reward Redemption 180 or less days from its date of issue it will not be expired. If you do not believe the information online either there or here, call the company for further clarification and explanation.

They withdraw the points immediately but they post to your booking in order of sail date.

• 4 weeks later...

We had the exact same question and situation that you have. 400 or so of our points expire at the end of this month and our booked cruise is for June 2018. Since we couldn't find an answer to the question, we decided to go ahead and take our chances and redeem all of our points for OBC anyway. I'm happy to say that during the redemption process, the following pop up with this exact verbiage came up which answers our question: "Once points are redeemed, the transfer of points is permanent and nonreturnable. Your order will be cancelled 180 days after redemption, if not applied to an active ship and sail date."

Hope this helps! :)