On Harmony, with Irma approaching.....what would you do?

sheilb4

Advice needed please - On Harmony. Back Ft Laud (hopefully) sat.

Was planning using luggage valet to FLL, with SWest 4pm flight to Tampa..(.45m- if not cancelled )

OR.

Should I forget all that that and rent car to drive home (4hrs).

I know you guys on here are avidly watching the track (thank you) so hope some will have advice, and as thurs/fri approaches I'm sure news will be more specific.... eeeeek :eek:

Was planning using luggage valet to FLL, with SWest 4pm flight to Tampa..(.45m- if not cancelled )

OR.

I know you guys on here are avidly watching the track (thank you) so hope some will have advice, and as thurs/fri approaches I'm sure news will be more specific.... eeeeek :eek:

If Irma hits south Florida Saturday, Harmony won't be coming in....and flights will be cancelled into and out of FLL.

I'm watching closely, too, since I have a flight into FLL Saturday with a cruise on Allure Sunday....which both will probably be cancelled.

Personally, I don't think you can make any plan changes as yet. You don't know if you will dock on time, or what day. You don't know, maybe the weather will be fairly clear and your plans, as you made them, are fine.

I think you should consider options for different contingencies.

Booking a rental car (cancellable/refundable) might make sense. But, you know the roads in FL. Are they going to be passable? Will they be jammed with people evacuating?

I can imagine Harmony getting back to port early, I can imagine Harmony getting back to port later in the day or even the next day. I can imagine the storm staying south and you are good.

I think it is possible Irma will impact your trip. I just don't think anyone can say how it will be impacted as yet.

I'd go with the rental car option. If the conditions are really bad, no mode of transportation will work. However, I can see conditions where the airlines might cancel flights but ground transportation would strill be available.

Personally, I don't think you can make any plan changes as yet. You don't know if you will dock on time, or what day. You don't know, maybe the weather will be fairly clear and your plans, as you made them, are fine.

I think you should consider options for different contingencies.

Booking a rental car (cancellable/refundable) might make sense. But, you know the roads in FL. Are they going to be passable? Will they be jammed with people evacuating?

I can imagine Harmony getting back to port early, I can imagine Harmony getting back to port later in the day or even the next day. I can imagine the storm staying south and you are good.

I think it is possible Irma will impact your trip. I just don't think anyone can say how it will be impacted as yet.

Yes I think you are right, a bit early to plan but by thurs/fri I am sure it will be clearer, one way or the other.... the captain has been giving updates too but nothing of change yet. Just know I am in a major evacuation/flood zone so getting anxious, but we shall see..nothing I can do about it anyhooo! Just enjoy the present lovely weather and cruise, right! Lol

I'd go with the rental car option. If the conditions are really bad, no mode of transportation will work. However, I can see conditions where the airlines might cancel flights but ground transportation would strill be available.

Thanks yes, that is what I am leaning towards and will do a booking now as can always cx if needed, since likely may be a flurry of peeps like myself considering same.....

Feel bad for the folks getting ready and excited to board Saturday like I was last week...... hope it all works out for everyone.

We live in Panama City Florida and are supposed to leave on Sat. Sept. 9th on Harmony for our 50th wedding anniversary. We booked a hotel for Friday night in Ft. Pierce and had planned to have only 110 miles to ship, I don't think that is going to happen. They have posted that a decision will be made at 6pm. tonight on cancelling or not. I think the Harmony will come in to Ft. Lauderdale on Friday, so they can disembark and head out to sea to ride it out. I am praying their spaghetti models are correct and will turn right near Miami. We are only 10ft. above sea level where we live, we have to have flood insurance also. After this, we might be moving, cause the insurance is going to go sky high. We already pay more than $4500 a year. Stay safe everyone and God Bless.

Sheilb4 - I'm in the West Palm area, it's Tuesday afternoon and at this time very few gas stations have gas. (We are about an hour north of FT. L). You renting a car is NOT an option in MY opinion. It's our experience that if Irma heads our way in the next few days the roads north bound will become parking lots with slow moving traffic even though they often turn ALL lanes of traffic north bound only. Everyone wants to "get out of Dodge!"

At least that's how it was will Jeanne, Frances, and Wilma.

If we don't leave today or tomorrow we will stay put as to avoid getting stuck somewhere on the road north and ride the storm out sitting on I-95 or the Turnpike.

I have no solution for you other than perhaps find a hotel (away from the beach) to stay in until travel is safe. Not saying these areas will be safer than the beach area but Plantation and Coral Springs are in western Ft. L. Perhaps that might be an option.

We are all praying Irma spares us and everyone else.

It would cut your cruise short, but if I were onboard, I would hope that they would pull-in Friday AM sometime so that I could vacate the area as quickly as possible (whatever that may be). Keep this in mind, the airlines are not going to leave airplanes in harms way. There will come a point when there will not be anymore inbound A/C. And, they will error on the side of caution. As for the rental car companies, I suspect that they will run out of cars quickly as the time approaches. And, they are happy to give them to anyone that wants to 'evacuate' one of their vehicles out harms way. As Tony20 mentioned, get one reserved. I would go as far as to abuse the system, reserve through a couple of companies. I have walked to a counter before and was told they did not have a vehicle for me (some big event in town). I had two (2) more reservations. The second company did have a vehicle. PLAN BRAVO.

Perhaps the ship get in sometime Friday a day earlier, but the wind is going to start around the pm, I would not suggest you to driving after Friday 8pm...if your flight is cancelled there is a very good reason and being on the road is the worst place to be especially in that part of Florida where they are going to feel the wind gusts starting on Friday. Your best to just hang in there and see what the ship tells you...but I would make reservations for two nights at a hotel located around the cruise port. Do not get into a car on Saturday that is a death sentence in itself.

OR.

Since RCCL has announced that your cruise has been extended for a few days, you will still need a Plan B. If Irma really does hit Southern Florida, the airline schedules will be disrupted for several days and I doubt there will be many rental cars available. If I needed to get home, I would look into getting off in Cozumel or another port and fly home from there.