Tipping wait staff if you don't use MDR

Tillie43

We will not be eating in MDR when we cruise (due to hearing difficulties in large rooms with many conversations going on at once). We plan to use the Windjammer for dinners. We will have no table waiter to acknowledge or head waiter assigned to us. Anyone know how tip is distributed in this situation?

We will not be eating in MDR when we cruise (due to hearing difficulties in large rooms with many conversations going on at once). We plan to use the Windjammer for dinners. We will have no table waiter to acknowledge or head waiter assigned to us. Anyone know how tip is distributed in this situation?

Leave the auto gratuities in place. No need to be concerned. RC will ensure the staff will be paid their gratuities.

It's best to leave your automatic gratuities in place. The amount you pay is for "dining services " which includes MDR, Windjammer and any other food service location, including behind the scenes staff.

Personally would think Windjammer would be much noisier than MDR.

Incidentally, if you do not plan to eat in MDR I would let RC know so that your table can be assigned to someone else. You don't have to, but thoughtful, as there are often people on the waiting list. Also, if you are assigned to a.large table they are not waiting for you to show up each evening.

They still give an envelope for additional tips. But you designate who they are going to.

I prefer to tip the appropriate people directly. I don't know if it goes into a pool or not, but they know that I gave it.

On one of my cruises when we actually used the main dining room, our assistant waiter was awesome. The head waiter was great too, but anyway. Where I'm going with this is the assistant waiter was always assigned to the buffet in the mornings. We would see him up there working when we went to breakfast, and this is why I have no problems with leaving grats in place, even though we don't use the main dining room anymore. They work all over the place it seems.

Thanks. I found the tip thread and realized things have changed a lot since our last cruise where we placed tips left in envelopes in our cabin. I see that is no longer in effect. I need to re-learn how to cruise. ;)

Other changes in the last few years:

- No midnight buffet

- A few less planned activities during the day

- A few more people dressed casually for dinner (which you'll notice if you decide to use the MDR)

Windjammer is usually MUCH quieter and calmer than MDR for dinner.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Forums mobile app

After reading a lot of positive comments about the WJ in the evening here on CC we decided to check it out one evening after eating (early) in the MDR on the Jewel. It was quite and the lights turned down low. We don't eat in the WJ for any meals but was also really surprised with the selections. I grabbed a dessert. I worked up an appetite from the MDR to the WJ. :D

the tip is to cover ALL meals in included venues , not just dinner.

It's best to leave your automatic gratuities in place. The amount you pay is for "dining services " which includes MDR, Windjammer and any other food service location, including behind the scenes staff.

Personally would think Windjammer would be much noisier than MDR.

Incidentally, if you do not plan to eat in MDR I would let RC know so that your table can be assigned to someone else. You don't have to, but thoughtful, as there are often people on the waiting list. Also, if you are assigned to a.large table they are not waiting for you to show up each evening.

I just assumed since the OP knew they wouldn't be dining in the MDR that they already opted for MTD....no need to let anyone know in that case you won't be eating there...no one will care or notice and they can easily give the MTD dining room a try one evening by just walking in and ask for a table for two. Great to have flexible options. Hope the OP considered this.