New smartwatch for diabetics: no more dogs

Markanddonna

Not sure of any details but it sounds like it would still require the use of the Dexcom CGM to be attached via set to the patient to actually measure the glucose with the FitBit being to monitor of the results. These tools are great but unfortunately are expensive and not covered by all insurance companies. Once a patient becomes less aware of glucose lows the service dogs are amazing, keeping their owner safer.

Not sure of any details but it sounds like it would still require the use of the Dexcom CGM to be attached via set to the patient to actually measure the glucose with the FitBit being to monitor of the results. These tools are great but unfortunately are expensive and not covered by all insurance companies. Once a patient becomes less aware of glucose lows the service dogs are amazing, keeping their owner safer.

Everything you say is probably correct.

However this is the length airlines, cruise ships, resorts may have to resort to to fight the wave of those individuals who insist on fake service dogs just so they can travel with their pet.

I have had type 1 diabetes for most of my life. Not to knock service animals or a watch but the current CGM technology I use on my insulin pump is extremely effective. I don't know why someone would need to resort to a dog as it is for low blood sugar when the technology for CGM has been around for a while now. I love dogs and I appreciate service animals but I just don't think they are necessary for a diabetic patient.

I think it's awesome that dogs can sense lows, and I'm not trying to upset anyone that chose a dog to do that for them it just honestly feels unnecessary to me from my extensive first hand experience with the disease.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Edited by WillWorkForCruise121

I have had type 1 diabetes for most of my life. Not to knock service animals or a watch but the current CGM technology I use on my insulin pump is extremely effective. I don't know why someone would need to resort to a dog as it is for low blood sugar when the technology for CGM has been around for a while now. I love dogs and I appreciate service animals but I just don't think they are necessary for a diabetic patient.

I think it's awesome that dogs can sense lows, and I'm not trying to upset anyone that chose a dog to do that for them it just honestly feels unnecessary to me from my extensive first hand experience with the disease.

Just because a service dog isn't necessary for you personally doesn't mean that they are also not necessary for others who aren't you.

Just because a service dog isn't necessary for you personally doesn't mean that they are also not necessary for others who aren't you.

Maybe you're right. I don't know for certain. There might be extremely rare circumstances that a dog is a better choice. They'd be exceedingly rare though I assure you.

I have lived with this disease for almost my entire life. I also have a baby sister diagnosed at a very young age with the same (6yrs old, she's 29 now). I'm not saying having a dog that can detect lows wouldn't be cool. I just think CGM technology fills that need in a much more reasonable way for 99.9% of people that would have such a need.

Just a side note. The insurance approval for these devices is much much better than it was several years ago. Most companies now see it as a long term health benefit reducing long term costs to them.

I have been using one almost from the time they started making them and in the begining almost no insurance would approve them. Anymore it's rare to see one that doesn't especially if you have hypoglycemia unawareness and type 1 diabetes.

Sorry for soapboxing about this topic. I'm not normally the type. I just happen to have a lot of knowledge and first hand experience with CGM.

Maybe you're right. I don't know for certain. There might be extremely rare circumstances that a dog is a better choice. They'd be exceedingly rare though I assure you.

I have lived with this disease for almost my entire life. I also have a baby sister diagnosed at a very young age with the same (6yrs old, she's 29 now). I'm not saying having a dog that can detect lows wouldn't be cool. I just think CGM technology fills that need in a much more reasonable way for 99.9% of people that would have such a need.

I understand that you (and maybe your baby sister also) don't need a service dog but to say that it's extremely rare that a service dog is the best choice for someone else with diabetes is flat out wrong. You don't need a service dog. Completely and totally understood. But to say that only .1% of the entire population needs a service dog and the rest would be better served by CGM technology is sort of bonkers. It's not just about a dog detecting lows being "cool", the whole thing is based in medicine.

I understand that you (and maybe your baby sister also) don't need a service dog but to say that it's extremely rare that a service dog is the best choice for someone else with diabetes is flat out wrong. You don't need a service dog. Completely and totally understood. But to say that only .1% of the entire population needs a service dog and the rest would be better served by CGM technology is sort of bonkers. It's not just about a dog detecting lows being "cool", the whole thing is based in medicine.

Honestly unless you have type 1 diabetes and a hypo sensing service dog or are an endocrinologist with some expertise on service animals (in which case I humbly apologize and validate your argument). You have no right or point of reference to label my opinion "bonkers".

I'm pretty sure my 10,000+ injections, numerous scars, over a decade of wearing a CGM device, sleepless nights and countless blood tests qualify me to hold my opinion and count it as educated and well informed on the topic.

Take a minute and Google the topic.... credible sources generally feel the same way I do. It's great, just not really all that practical in most cases.

I won't egg this on any further. It's getting silly. I have confidence that none of what I say is bonkers. And I've earned the right to my opinion.

I'm interested in your argument but you invalidate your argument when you start calling someone names.

I would be interested in your sources though.

I didn't call anyone any names.

I consider telling WillWorkforCruise that he or she is "Bonkers", when he or she was being very polite and respectful, very disrespectful and name calling on your part. As soon as someone starts in with that kind of mindset and language, the writer loses their credibility.

Whether you feel you were calling someone a name or being disrespectful is irrelevant. Perception is reality and I perceived that you were being disrespectful.

Now, let's get back to your sources for your argument. I'd be interested to see them.

I consider telling WillWorkforCruise that he or she is "Bonkers", when he or she was being very polite and respectful, very disrespectful and name calling on your part. As soon as someone starts in with that kind of mindset and language, the writer loses their credibility.

Whether you feel you were calling someone a name or being disrespectful is irrelevant. Perception is reality and I perceived that you were being disrespectful.

Now, let's get back to your sources for your argument. I'd be interested to see them.

I didn't tell them they were bonkers, nor do I think they are. I think what they said is bonkers, which is what I said. I will rephrase my statement to clarify what I meant, because while perception is important, it's not always reality

"But to say that only .1% of the entire population needs a service dog and the rest would be better served by CGM technology is sort of puzzling"

"But to say that only .1% of the entire population needs a service dog and the rest would be better served by CGM technology is sort of inaccurate"

"But to say that only .1% of the entire population needs a service dog and the rest would be better served by CGM technology is sort of unfounded"

"But to say that only .1% of the entire population needs a service dog and the rest would be better served by CGM technology is sort of odd"

Notice I am not saying that they are puzzling, inaccurate, unfounded or odd (or bonkers) but rather my opinion is that that statement is.

. It's not just about a dog detecting lows being "cool", the whole thing is based in medicine.

Source please for "the whole thing is based in medicine"

Notice I am not saying that they are puzzling, inaccurate, unfounded or odd (or bonkers) but rather my opinion is that that statement is.

Understood. Thank you

If you'd like you can replace the "99.9%" I said with "the vast majority" or any other general figure of speech used to describe almost everyone. I wasn't trying to imply that 99.9% was an actual fact based figure. If that's what was conveyed I apologize.

I just think a service dog to serve this function is more of a choice than a necessity. Of course people living with this awful disease should have that choice if they really want it and I can understand the companionship aspect being appealing. I Just think CGM is proven to be more effective, accurate and available...making it the more reasonable and logical choice for people with a real need for low blood sugar alerts. It's also typically more cost effective as diabetic alert dogs can cost upwards of 20k if fully trained.

My opinion regarding service dogs is referring only to diabetic alert dogs in case that wasn't clear previously. I have no extended knowledge or expertise on other applications of service animals.

Here is a write up on one study on this topic if you're interested.

http://integrateddiabetes.com/is-a-cgm-better-at-catching-lows-than-a-diabetes-alert-dog/

I have a pretty firm opinions on this from first-hand knowledge, experience and research on the topic. I'm not trying to win an argument or start one.

OP, thanks for posting about it. I think that having a device that can provide real data vs a trained service animal is a benefit to the type 1 diabetic and to the medical field.

Agreed. Sorry I have participated in taking this topic further off-track. It's a neat addition to CGM which is very helpful to diabetes management.

Anything that makes it easier is a great thing.

If you'd like you can replace the "99.9%" I said with "the vast majority" or any other general figure of speech used to describe almost everyone. I wasn't trying to imply that 99.9% was an actual fact based figure. If that's what was conveyed I apologize.

I just think a service dog to serve this function is more of a choice than a necessity. Of course people living with this awful disease should have that choice if they really want it and I can understand the companionship aspect being appealing. I Just think CGM is proven to be more effective, accurate and available...making it the more reasonable and logical choice for people with a real need for low blood sugar alerts. It's also typically more cost effective as diabetic alert dogs can cost upwards of 20k if fully trained.

My opinion regarding service dogs is referring only to diabetic alert dogs in case that wasn't clear previously. I have no extended knowledge or expertise on other applications of service animals.

Here is a write up on one study on this topic if you're interested.

http://integrateddiabetes.com/is-a-cgm-better-at-catching-lows-than-a-diabetes-alert-dog/

I have a pretty firm opinions on this from first-hand knowledge, experience and research on the topic. I'm not trying to win an argument or start one.

Interesting. Thanks. Cost comparisons are always fun.

What's your estimate of the annual cost of a CGM supplies and maintenance, and the cost of a CGM? How long does one last?

The trained DAD appears to be $20K. I'd expect it to last about 10 years at an annual cost of +/- $650 for food, health care, and other pet ownership cots

Interesting. Thanks. Cost comparisons are always fun.

What's your estimate of the annual cost of a CGM supplies and maintenance, and the cost of a CGM? How long does one last?

The trained DAD appears to be $20K. I'd expect it to last about 10 years at an annual cost of +/- $650 for food, health care, and other pet ownership cots

If you already have an insulin pump with the capability like the Medtronic models, the transmitter will set you back around $1500 and needs to be replaced I'd say on average maybe once every two years. Could be shorter, could be much longer.

The sensors you change about 1x a week and they are expensive at about $30 each. I guess a fair ballpark is about 2.5 - 3k a year if you pay completely out of pocket. Most people are not in this situation though. If you have a legitimate medical need for such a device insurance coverage makes this much more affordable.

From what I've heard and understand getting coverage for the service animal is much trickier. I know there are non profit organizations out there that try to help but I would still see the service animal being harder to get approved and paid for than the CGM devices. I could be wrong on that though in certain cases. My knowledge on insurance approval for diabetic alert dogs is limited at best.

Everything you say is probably correct.

However this is the length airlines, cruise ships, resorts may have to resort to to fight the wave of those individuals who insist on fake service dogs just so they can travel with their pet.

And you don't think they'd find another excuse???