2017-Early 2018 Caribbean cruising - the probable future

The full effects of Hurricane Irma (and Hurricane Jose thereafter) are yet to be determined (we'll know in a few days). Without even discussing the financial impact to all the cruise companies...what is clear for the remainder of the 2017 cruise season and likely early 2018 will include:

1) The popular cruise destinations that include St. Maarten, U.S. & British Virgin Islands, Antigua, Bahamas, and perhaps even Bermuda - are all in jeopardy of not being viable tourist locations for cruise passengers for quite some time. The very sad but real devastation of those places will probably take many months to recover.

2) {Depending on the final path of Hurricane Irma) it is possible that the Cruise Ports in Miami, Port Everglades, and even perhaps Port Canaveral could all be severely impacted with major damage and flooding.

This reality is finally setting in with more and more people (and will in the days ahead) that the effects from these hurricanes will be felt for months and perhaps years. Things have gone past the "inconvenience or simple rescheduling" phase. These are life-altering disasters.

For those of us who have been fortunate enough to visit these beautiful locations on cruise travel - our hearts and prayers go out to the island inhabitants. For the U.S. Ports themselves..the impact will soon unfold and our best wishes for a speedy and full recovery.

We can only hope for the best as people prepare for the worst.

We are scheduled to go to St Maarten in March on the Harmony. I just read that 95% of St Maarten was destroyed. I haven't heard about San Juan & Labadee, which are our other ports. I feel so bad for the people there. They have lost everything....and will undoubtedly lose a lot of their income because the ships probably won't be able to stop for a long time. I'm not sure which ports we will go to in March, but it really doesn't matter. Thinking about residents of the Caribbean & hoping that Florida gets through it better than expected. ☹️

We are scheduled to go to St Maarten in March on the Harmony. I just read that 95% of St Maarten was destroyed. I haven't heard about San Juan & Labadee, which are our other ports. I feel so bad for the people there. They have lost everything....and will undoubtedly lose a lot of their income because the ships probably won't be able to stop for a long time. I'm not sure which ports we will go to in March, but it really doesn't matter. Thinking about residents of the Caribbean & hoping that Florida gets through it better than expected. ☹️

Hopefully by March there is some significant repair and improvement in the overall Caribbean area.

Agree that the loss of the tourism dollars for some time will have a major negative impact. More important, even with strong recovery efforts...the homes and loves of the island residents will be impacted for a very long time.

It's all very sad.

What all the cruise lines do in terms of other destinations (until repairs are completed) is pure speculation...but some of the regular destinations will likely change to alternatives for month to come.

We're scheduled for the end of October to St. Maarten, St. Kitts, St. Lucia, Barbados and Antigua, out of San Juan. I fully expect an itinerary change. It will be interesting to see where we end up. Other than St. Kitts, all of the ports are repeats for us and I'm glad we got to see them before all the damage. I just feel really badly for the people. A good portion of them make the livelihood from tourists and it doesn't seem like some of the islands will be ready for tourists in the near future.

I'm supposed go to St Martin, St Thomas and BVI in Nov and Dec and next Fall twice again. If it changes it changes. But I hope for their sake will be cleaned up, ships return so we can help by spending our $ there where they need it rather then somewhere else..

My cruise in December will stop at St. Maarten, St. Thomas and others. Yes, St. Maarten is a mess, but two Dutch ships tied up at the cruise pier last night to off load supplies, so I think the port is functional. There were no submerged debris. This is a huge plus. I am hoping that we make our scheduled stops in December. I will make the best of it, and I am hoping that my plans will still be intact, but if they are not, I will make the best of it.

There was a convention I went to six months after Katrina. Had a good time, and helped support the local economy. This is not that much different.

Regards,

Mike

My cruise in December will stop at St. Maarten, St. Thomas and others. Yes, St. Maarten is a mess, but two Dutch ships tied up at the cruise pier last night to off load supplies, so I think the port is functional. There were no submerged debris. This is a huge plus. I am hoping that we make our scheduled stops in December. I will make the best of it, and I am hoping that my plans will still be intact, but if they are not, I will make the best of it.

There was a convention I went to six months after Katrina. Had a good time, and helped support the local economy. This is not that much different.

Regards,

Mike

I've read a report that some of the St. Maarten cargo containers (normally located in a fenced in area next to the cruise ship dock area) actually were hurled into the water in multiple locations, so navigation is tricky for sure. In addition, a few marine-piered boats that were left in their locations were also thrown on land or even may have sank. The welcome center also sustained some damage (roof & water).

It's a major mess there...with nearly no power...and destruction everywhere.

Factor in Hurricane Jose likely to send some extreme weather to that island very soon....UGH!

It's probably fair to say that at this point...any cruises with the St./ Maarten port designation on the itinerary the rest of 2017 at TBD (to be determined) in terms of a date for readiness. The same prognosys applies to a couple of the other islands in that region.

I'm scheduled to port in St. Thomas, San Juan, and Labadee in two weeks. I wish we'd get some clarity on the damage so I can cancel and work on planning something else. I know these islands depend on tourism money for everything, but I hope the cruise lines give their employees and residents time to attempt to put their lives back together before thousands of tourists arrive again.

1) The popular cruise destinations that include St. Maarten, U.S. & British Virgin Islands, Antigua, Bahamas, and perhaps even Bermuda - are all in jeopardy of not being viable tourist locations for cruise passengers for quite some time. The very sad but real devastation of those places will probably take many months to recover.

Of those locations, the only islands that won't be ok soo is St Maarten and St Thomas.

Antigua has reported very little damage, so it will be back, the Bahamas are getting a glancing blow- far less than they got directly last year, and I'm not sure how Bermuda was added. Remember a hurricane hit Coco Cay directly, and they were back open in a week.

St Croix can easily replace St Thomas- as it has on may itineraries, and St Maarten can be replaced by St Kitts.

So I don't think your "probable future" is even a possible future, let alone a likely one.

Question (upcoming first cruise this November on Oasis) Is there particular ports that Oasis of the Seas can dock at and not dock at because of it's size?

Yes, Oasis is limited in the ports she can visit.

Of those locations, the only islands that won't be ok soo is St Maarten and St Thomas.

Antigua has reported very little damage, so it will be back, the Bahamas are getting a glancing blow- far less than they got directly last year, and I'm not sure how Bermuda was added. Remember a hurricane hit Coco Cay directly, and they were back open in a week.

St Croix can easily replace St Thomas- as it has on may itineraries, and St Maarten can be replaced by St Kitts.

So I don't think your "probable future" is even a possible future, let alone a likely one.

Most likely stated Bermuda because at this point there are models showing they may get hit by Jose.

I wonder when we would find out about itinerary changes for a March 24 cruise that goes to St. Maartin, St. Thomas, St. Kitts, Antigua, St Lucia. Anyone have any past experience with similar situations?

I feel so sorry for those poor people down there. Many of them have so little to begin with.

I wonder when we would find out about itinerary changes for a March 24 cruise that goes to St. Maartin, St. Thomas, St. Kitts, Antigua, St Lucia. Anyone have any past experience with similar situations?

I feel so sorry for those poor people down there. Many of them have so little to begin with.

All that's too hard to predict at this point.

With yet another hurricane (Jose) barreling in that direction...the final assessments of damage are yet to be determined.

What is certain is that the effects of this hurricane season will have a major impact on the islands, its residents, and the ports as destinations for a long time - no doubt into 2018 and perhaps even longer.

My prayers go out to the family of the people of all the islands who lost family and homes. Our cruise is outta of Ft Lauderdale in December islands to be visit are San Juan,St Kitt,Labadee and St Marteen Flights paid for cruise tours, dining pkgs and drinks and voom pkg. all paid for have insurance on cruise not on flights hmmmmmm wondering how this scenario going to work out

The economy of these islands so depends upon our return as tourists. It almost becomes humanitarian. We are sailing in December, St. Kitts, Antigua, St. Martin, St. Thomas & Martinique. I hope the ports are open - I will shop, tour and tip well. I am guessing the infrastructure will try to prioritize the tourist rebuild - just don't know how long it will take - one thing for sure it will be warmer than a New England Winter. Bringing our teen daughters - plan to have them engage in conversations with some people and provide some random acts of kindness - $50 to a few people to whom it will genuinely make a difference. If nothing else - a few people of the islands will know we care!

They could use tenders, but choose not to. I believe they feel that tendering 6000 guests would not be a good experience for the guests.

So Bob....since I love & highly respect your expertise on so many topics....add some clarity...if all the passengers would be afraid to tender...does that mean they'd have a ship full of chicken tenders? :eek::eek::eek:

So Bob....since I love & highly respect your expertise on so many topics....add some clarity...if all the passengers would be afraid to tender...does that mean they'd have a ship full of chicken tenders? :eek::eek::eek:

I love it.:D

Wouldn't it be chicken non-tenders if they don't tender?