Any update on cruises scheduled to leave from Puerto Rico?

mixplix

Passengers should not be forced to leave from an island that is still receiving help from FEMA and the Red Cross and considered a disaster area.

It should be at the discretion of the traveler, until which time it is deemed at full capacity.

All deposits and monies on cruises until that time, should be converted into future cruise credits. Nobody should be forced to decide between traveling to a disaster area or losing money.

It is still up to the traveler, if they do not want to go they can have their insurance policy pay out. Rci is not a charity, and are not a government that can just print money.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Forums mobile app

Insurance won’t pay if the cruise line doesn’t cancel the sailing except for “cancel for any reason” coverage which most people don’t have because it is much more expensive and only reimburses 75%.

RC was not required to cancel the cruise or move the ship but people don’t have to sail with them in the future. Many of us won’t.

Kathy

Insurance won’t pay if the cruise line doesn’t cancel the sailing except for “cancel for any reason” coverage which most people don’t have because it is much more expensive and only reimburses 75%.

RC was not required to cancel the cruise or move the ship but people don’t have to sail with them in the future. Many of us won’t.

Kathy

Exactly. There have been people on this thread who say “that’s why you have insurance” at every turn. As you correctly state, insurance is irrelevant for most while RCL insists on sailing...

Kathy

It depends on the specific language in your insurance policy. My cancellation on Jewel was covered due to and Advisory being issued by the Government of Canada not to travel to Puerto Rico. Alternatively, my policy also has a clause that covers me for trips to destinations subject to a natural disaster...with FEMA still very active in Puerto Rico, I would think that would qualify. But it really depends on the language in your policy.

Exactly. There have been people on this thread who say “that’s why you have insurance” at every turn. As you correctly state, insurance is irrelevant for most while RCL insists on sailing...
So you turn it in to cancel for any reason, simple as that. There is no reason for them to cancel. People that came back from the last sailing had good reviews, and all of the islands need the tourist money to get back.

If they start handing people back money because they took a risk and don't want to take the responsibility for their actions, they will not stay in business.

They are not a government and can not just print money. Why should other people (either other cruises through higher costs, or stock holders) pay because some don't want to fulfill the contract they signed?

In the end there is a contract that everybody signs when they book a cruise. There is a way out- insurance. Everybody has a choice.

If you don't cruise with them again, then that is your choice.

Just got back from the 10/14/17 Adventure sailing...here is a summary of our logistics to get on and off the ship...

We were at the Pan Am Terminal at 10:30 and boarded the ship just after 11. We had stayed at the Comfort Inn for one night. Used taxis to the hotel and cruise port without a problem. At the end of the cruise, we had a 1:00 flight. We were out of our cabin by 8, had a nice breakfast in the MDR and were done and in a taxi by 9 ish. At the cruise pier USE THE PORTERS. At the airport, USE THE PORTERS. They either take you to the front of the line or go in a separate quicker line. We were lucky enough to have first class tickets and TSA pre check. From the time we left the ship to get through immigration, taxi, agriculture inspection, check in and security took a total of one hour. Friends on Southwest didn't have as good luck and took them about two hours. Either way we were both at our gates about two hours ahead of departure. Taxis are plentiful. I hope you all enjoy your cruises as much as we did.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just got back from the 10/14/17 Adventure sailing...here is a summary of our logistics to get on and off the ship...

We were at the Pan Am Terminal at 10:30 and boarded the ship just after 11. We had stayed at the Comfort Inn for one night. Used taxis to the hotel and cruise port without a problem. At the end of the cruise, we had a 1:00 flight. We were out of our cabin by 8, had a nice breakfast in the MDR and were done and in a taxi by 9 ish. At the cruise pier USE THE PORTERS. At the airport, USE THE PORTERS. They either take you to the front of the line or go in a separate quicker line. We were lucky enough to have first class tickets and TSA pre check. From the time we left the ship to get through immigration, taxi, agriculture inspection, check in and security took a total of one hour. Friends on Southwest didn't have as good luck and took them about two hours. Either way we were both at our gates about two hours ahead of departure. Taxis are plentiful. I hope you all enjoy your cruises as much as we did.

Thank you for your post.

It is refreshing to hear from someone who is sharing an actual, up-to-date experience rather than those who are spouting their personal opinions as to what people and the cruise line should do.

I see you on lots of the same boards I frequent. I'm on Jewel on December 24. How about you? I see you're from Canada. Are you having trouble with plane transportation?

Renee

I, too, was on the 10/14 cruise. We arrived on Saturday. It was extremely crowded and hectic because there are no chairs to wait at gates 7 and 9 so you have huge crowds standing waiting to get on while people were also getting off. We ended up sitting at the gate of another destination when leaving. On arrival, our luggage came out in a timely fashion and RCI shuttle was there. Bit of confusion with getting checked in to shuttle, Terminal was very crowded but our line to get into to the terminal moved quicly because we had our luggage already checked in from the shuttle, Check in was fast. It took about two hours from landing to boarding. The situation was a little less hectic upon departure. Shuttle was right there. Yes, USE THE porters!! Worth the $$$ and they are extremely grateful to be making money again. We got through agriculture quicly, we had TSA precheck so that went smoothly and we had time to kill. Again the crazy crowds at gate C7 . AA was just wonderful to fly with!

We are on Adventure now. I was wondering why there are so many kids on the ship in late October and then I read this on our roll call:

Jumping over from the October 14 the cruise. We are about to disembark, our cruise was full, approximately 70 percent of original passengers canceled and Royal Carribean opened up the cruise to residents of Puerto Rico for $500.00 fee, children free, so our cruise was 70 % PR residents. They did not offer any upgrades first to any of the original passengers who did not cancel. Cruise was crowded and full. We did have a good time, but we were a group of 6 couples. Have fun.

It feels like half the families in PR yanked their kids out of school to cruise. If you choose to book in the Fall to avoid kids you will not be a happy camper.

Other observations so far: 1. Things seemed disorganized in general yesterday. 2. Seems they are cutting back on staffing in Windjammer. 3. Just went up to Viking to relax and read. They are blasting the most god-awful music everywhere so you can’t hear yourself think.

YMMV.

Kathy

We are on Adventure now. I was wondering why there are so many kids on the ship in late October and then I read this on our roll call:

Jumping over from the October 14 the cruise. We are about to disembark, our cruise was full, approximately 70 percent of original passengers canceled and Royal Carribean opened up the cruise to residents of Puerto Rico for $500.00 fee, children free, so our cruise was 70 % PR residents. They did not offer any upgrades first to any of the original passengers who did not cancel. Cruise was crowded and full. We did have a good time, but we were a group of 6 couples. Have fun.

It feels like half the families in PR yanked their kids out of school to cruise. If you choose to book in the Fall to avoid kids you will not be a happy camper.

Other observations so far: 1. Things seemed disorganized in general yesterday. 2. Seems they are cutting back on staffing in Windjammer. 3. Just went up to Viking to relax and read. They are blasting the most god-awful music everywhere so you can’t hear yourself think.

YMMV.

Kathy

Pretty sure that the families did not "yank their kids out of school". From all of my reading it is my understanding most schools have not yet reopened after Maria. Perhaps their families thought it might be a nice getaway for everyone to escape and enjoy some time making happy memories together. Take a break from what they have been dealing with before they need to return to the task of rebuilding.

Our cruise out of PR is over a month away but we are very much looking forward to it and our 4 days precruise in Old San Juan. We cruise during this time of year to avoid lots of kids too. Under the circumstances I like to think I would be more understanding.

No Puerto Rican parents have 'yanked their kids out of school'! Schools in Puerto Rico have been closed for over a month - since Maria hit, and are unlikely to open anytime soon. Those schools that aren't damaged are being used as emergency shelters.

https://learningenglish.voanews.com/a/young-people-in-puerto-rico-await-a-return-to-school/4078043.html

Pretty sure that the families did not "yank their kids out of school". From all of my reading it is my understanding most schools have not yet reopened after Maria. Perhaps their families thought it might be a nice getaway for everyone to escape and enjoy some time making happy memories together. Take a break from what they have been dealing with before they need to return to the task of rebuilding.

Our cruise out of PR is over a month away but we are very much looking forward to it and our 4 days precruise in Old San Juan. We cruise during this time of year to avoid lots of kids too. Under the circumstances I like to think I would be more understanding.

I agree. They probably haven't started school yet. If it's true that they offered such discounts' date=' I love it.

And of course the SJ sailings skew heavily towards PR residents anyway!

It depends on the specific language in your insurance policy. My cancellation on Jewel was covered due to and Advisory being issued by the Government of Canada not to travel to Puerto Rico. Alternatively, my policy also has a clause that covers me for trips to destinations subject to a natural disaster...with FEMA still very active in Puerto Rico, I would think that would qualify. But it really depends on the language in your policy.

Insurance people can get in Canada (and Europe) is so different than the insurance products we get in the States.

We are also currently onboard. I second a lot of the comments to use taxis to get to/from the airport and port. The shuttle looked very busy. When we arrived at the pier, we were on the ship 10-15 min later!

There are a lot of kids onboard but they seem well behaved and hey are all smiling. Probably the a/c and full bellies!

YMMV.

Kathy[/quote

Kathy thank you for taking the time to report back to us! I hope you enjoy the rest of your cruise.

Reader

And they aren't doing Sunday departures just had January 28th cancelled

Ontario Cruiser

Well, my Westjet flight from Torornto to San Juan was cancelled a few weeks ago. I stumbled on to that myself even though I am booked with Air2sea. They moved me to Air Canada (I already paid for a direct flight home but had to pay additional for a direct flight there). So I had to pay more. Now my Air Canada flights are cancelled and they moved me to AA with stops. I specifically wanted direct flights and paid extra for them now I have stops in both directions. No one called me, once again I stumbled on to it myself. I called RC yesterday no one there on the weekends to help me...really???? Someone is to call me back this week to explain everything.:mad:

If you are booked with Air Canada you had better check your flights.

I was on the October 14 cruise. First of all, I did not find the music " god awful" and it was not blasting. I find it offensive to say that the PR families "yanked" their kids out if school. School has not been open since Maria. I heard that RCI offered very discounted cruises because of high cancellation. If I was in PR having to struggle for water and food with no AC and power you damn well can be sure that I would take my kids to just get away. I saw lovely families with well behaved children having fun! I cruise this time of year to avoid kids but this was exceptional and I did not care.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It is still up to the traveler, if they do not want to go they can have their insurance policy pay out. Rci is not a charity, and are not a government that can just print money.

Risk level(s)

Puerto Rico - AVOID NON-ESSENTIAL TRAVEL

Global Affairs Canada advises against non-essential travel to Puerto Rico due to damage caused by Hurricanes Irma and Maria. See Natural disasters and climateand Hurricanes Irma and Maria for more information.

What does a government printing out money even mean? Canada has listed San Juan as AVOID NON-ESSENTIAL TRAVEL.

Print out money? You're kidding right? They not only took funds from those of us not comfortable traveling to an island that is 85% without power and in great distress, but they turned around and REBOOKED the same cabins for MORE money and at a MUCH a higher profit.

YMMV.

Kathy

Wow. Curious, do you watch the news? YANK their kids out? Are you giving them all dirty to let them know you're not happy about "their" hurricanes causing you and your couple friends to not be happy campers because you can't avoid kids? :rolleyes:

Risk level(s)

Puerto Rico - AVOID NON-ESSENTIAL TRAVEL

Global Affairs Canada advises against non-essential travel to Puerto Rico due to damage caused by Hurricanes Irma and Maria. See Natural disasters and climateand Hurricanes Irma and Maria for more information.

What does a government printing out money even mean? Canada has listed San Juan as AVOID NON-ESSENTIAL TRAVEL.

Print out money? You're kidding right? They not only took funds from those of us not comfortable traveling to an island that is 85% without power and in great distress, but they turned around and REBOOKED the same cabins for MORE money and at a MUCH a higher profit.

You signed a contract and now don't want to live up to the terms. If they give you your money back, then somebody had to make up the cost. People keep saying they should get paid just because.

I am saying they cannot just print money, if they pay you $2k that money comes from somewhere. They still have to pay, feed, and house their employees. They still have costs. You took a risk signing a contract to take a cruise during hurricane season. That cruise is happening. If you decide to not go, that is on you.

I was on the October 14 cruise. First of all, I did not find the music " god awful" and it was not blasting.

The poster was very specific with that description. They said that they went up to Viking to read. And they were playing bad music very loud. Unless you were at that spot at that time, you can't say that their experience then was not correct.

I had the same kneejerk reaction and then read it again. It's possible that lounge was playing loud and bad music at that time.