Any update on cruises scheduled to leave from Puerto Rico?

mixplix

The poster was very specific with that description. They said that they went up to Viking to read. And they were playing bad music very loud. Unless you were at that spot at that time, you can't say that their experience then was not correct.

I had the same kneejerk reaction and then read it again. It's possible that lounge was playing loud and bad music at that time.

Agree we all have different experiences,I just appreciate someone sharing. What I find to be great music she may very well feel is loud and God awful!

Reader

The poster was very specific with that description. They said that they went up to Viking to read. And they were playing bad music very loud. Unless you were at that spot at that time, you can't say that their experience then was not correct.

I had the same kneejerk reaction and then read it again. It's possible that lounge was playing loud and bad music at that time.

I was in the Viking Crown a number of times and unless you were there at night when

the band was playing, it was very subdued. I agree about different tastes but I did not find any music on the ship to be "god awful"

Thank you for the information, I have called my hotel and they asked us not to cancel because they are open and will take new reservations Nov. 1st 2017 . Was there any stores open near the Best Western?

Is this the Best Western Plus in Condado? I’ll be staying there in a few weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was also on the 10/14 cruise and was shocked at the number of cruisers from San Juan. We found out on the last day of the offer by RC to the residents of Peurto Rico. I have no issue with the offer, however I fee the 30% of us who did not cancel our cruise should have been offered upgrades and the cheap deal offered should have been to fill the less desirable cabins.

We ate in the main dining room for breakfast and dinner to avoid the Windjammer, as it was packed with screaming and crying kids, people pushing in front of you, and just plain rudeness.

The best part of the cheap cruise deal for the Peurto Ricans was the volume of deck chairs available on sea days! Plenty of chairs for those of us who don't get sunshine all year around.

I took advantage of my flight into San Juan and packed a suitcase full of clothing, shoes and school supplies, which we gave to a local teacher who met is at the airport.

I was also on the 10/14 cruise and was shocked at the number of cruisers from San Juan. We found out on the last day of the offer by RC to the residents of Peurto Rico. I have no issue with the offer, however I fee the 30% of us who did not cancel our cruise should have been offered upgrades and the cheap deal offered should have been to fill the less desirable cabins.

We ate in the main dining room for breakfast and dinner to avoid the Windjammer, as it was packed with screaming and crying kids, people pushing in front of you, and just plain rudeness.

The best part of the cheap cruise deal for the Peurto Ricans was the volume of deck chairs available on sea days! Plenty of chairs for those of us who don't get sunshine all year around.

I took advantage of my flight into San Juan and packed a suitcase full of clothing, shoes and school supplies, which we gave to a local teacher who met is at the airport.

Good for you to bring supplies!! We avoided the windjammmer just because we always find it full of screaming kids and pushy people. This sounds no different. I did get an upsell to an Owner's Suite and loved every moment of it. I do not begrudge the people from PR that got the deal. Their lives have been hell and some of that was described to us from people we met. We are takiing about middle class people who could afford the deal. Imagine what those who couold not have been lving through

Good for you to bring supplies!! We avoided the windjammmer just because we always find it full of screaming kids and pushy people. This sounds no different. I did get an upsell to an Owner's Suite and loved every moment of it. I do not begrudge the people from PR that got the deal. Their lives have been hell and some of that was described to us from people we met. We are talking about middle class people who could afford the deal. Imagine what those who could not have been living

through

You signed a contract and now don't want to live up to the terms. If they give you your money back, then somebody had to make up the cost. People keep saying they should get paid just because.

I am saying they cannot just print money, if they pay you $2k that money comes from somewhere. They still have to pay, feed, and house their employees. They still have costs. You took a risk signing a contract to take a cruise during hurricane season. That cruise is happening. If you decide to not go, that is on you.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Forums mobile app

If you had read my comment, I did not ask for my money back. I said they should apply it to a future cruise with them. They lose nothing.

If you had read my comment, I did not ask for my money back. I said they should apply it to a future cruise with them. They lose nothing.

They do loose money, not sure how you think they do not. They now have a room that they can't sell for as much, as it is close to the sail date, and would have to be heavily discounted, even if everything were perfect, and then you get to take a room that would sell for much more (because it is further out).

You are asking for a handout, whether you want to call it that or not. Turn it into your insurance. If you did not buy insurance, or decided to buy a cheaper policy that did not cover "I changed my mind", then the policy is still paying out, but you are self insured, so it comes out of your pocket. You signed a contract saying you will pay them the amount agreed upon for the sailing you agreed upon on the ship you agreed upon, they are holding up their end of the bargain.

A friend sent me this email. Some details on RCL and CCL returning to affected ports.

Carnival has announced more details of their return to hurricane-affected ports:

San Juan (as port of call) - Nov. 30

San Juan (as homeport) - Feb 18

St. Thomas - Jan 9

St. Maarten - Jan 15

https://cruiseradio.net/carnival-return-caribbean-ports/

Also - more details in this transcript from a media call with the Florida-Caribbean Cruise Association. Adam Goldstein participated on that call, and mentioned in particular:

- only 4 (San Juan, St. Thomas, St Croix, St Maarten) of the 50 Caribbean ports RCI visits have been affected

- RCCL will be returning to all four before the end of November

- in response to the hotel situation in San Juan: "Well very few of our customers who are on these cruises that are happening right now on the Adventure of the Seas are needing hotel space. So although it’s probably tight with government workers coming in from the mainland United States and probably will be for a while because of the amount of responder work that needs to be done, we're able to secure the capacity that we need. But most of the – our traffic is either people flying in on the day,

taking the cruise and flying back when the cruise comes back of the day or they're local people from the Puerto Rico community who want to be in a cruise right now. That’s the vast majority of our customers."

- in addition to the above four ports, others were affected but "Dominica was very strongly affected but it does not play significant role in our itinerary mix."

- In our tour of ports "St. Croix we didn’t go to. There one of the two towns was not really affected much, the other more. And so the restorations of our efforts are

taking place there. But again during the month of November we expect things to be in good shape."

http://caribbeanisopen.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/Caribbean-is-Open-for-Business-transcript-10-16-17.pdfcleardot.gif

A friend sent me this email. Some details on RCL and CCL returning to affected ports.

Carnival has announced more details of their return to hurricane-affected ports:

St. Thomas - Jan 9

St. Maarten - Jan 15

Also - more details in this transcript from a media call with the Florida-Caribbean Cruise Association. Adam Goldstein participated on that call, and mentioned in particular:

- only 4 (San Juan, St. Thomas, St Croix, St Maarten) of the 50 Caribbean ports RCI visits have been affected

- in response to the hotel situation in San Juan: "Well very few of our customers who are on these cruises that are happening right now on the Adventure of the Seas are needing hotel space. So although it’s probably tight with government workers coming in from the mainland United States and probably will be for a while because of the amount of responder work that needs to be done, we're able to secure the capacity that we need. But most of the – our traffic is either people flying in on the day,

taking the cruise and flying back when the cruise comes back of the day or they're local people from the Puerto Rico community who want to be in a cruise right now. That’s the vast majority of our customers."

- in addition to the above four ports, others were affected but "Dominica was very strongly affected but it does not play significant role in our itinerary mix."

- In our tour of ports "St. Croix we didn’t go to. There one of the two towns was not really affected much, the other more. And so the restorations of our efforts are

taking place there. But again during the month of November we expect things to be in good shape."

My RCI cruise itinerary is STILL:

St. Croix,

St. Maartin

Dominica

Barbados

Grenada.

2/5 of our ports have NOT been severely impacted.

So, I don't know what the person interviewed is talking about. It doesn't make me feel confident in the company.

Renee

cleardot.gif

Please call RCL cooperate and tell them its too soon to go to these ports. There number is 305-539-6455.
I think I will call and ask to do more. Just like 90% of people that pasted on all your other posts- the people at these ports need the morning and are asking for tourists, going there is a good thing.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Forums mobile app

Wondering why Carnival is waiting longer to return than RCCL? RCL is stating they will be returning to all ports by 1 Dec sailings, by this article Carnival is being more cautious and waiting longer. Why the big gap in return schedules? I'm scheduled on 25NOV Freedom to all of those ports, and have vested interest in this topic. Thoughts?

St. Thomas - Jan 9

St. Maarten - Jan 15

http://caribbeanisopen.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/Caribbean-is-Open-for-Business-transcript-10-16-17.pdfcleardot.gif

Wondering why Carnival is waiting longer to return than RCCL? RCL is stating they will be returning to all ports by 1 Dec sailings, by this article Carnival is being more cautious and waiting longer. Why the big gap in return schedules? I'm scheduled on 25NOV Freedom to all of those ports, and have vested interest in this topic. Thoughts?

Perhaps their exact piers were damaged more than Royal's?

Perhaps their exact piers were damaged more than Royal's?

Carnival’s homeport pier was more damaged but their pier for Day visits would be the same, in Old San Juan. CCL seems to be taking a more cautious approach , to protect guest experience, while RCL seems to want to get ships and ports back together sooner. Which you prefer likely depends on whether you were scheduled to sail in November or December.

Please call RCL cooperate and tell them its too soon to go to these ports. There number is 305-539-6455.

call royal and tell them how you feel. real cruisers need to tell the company they are local to how they feel. Call 305-539-6455 tell 2soon

I am so sorry you feel this way but as many others have told you on two other threads you started....most people are happy to go spend their tourist dollars to help the islanders. You are now repeating posts in the same thread....post 786 and 793.

I think I read somewhere that RCI is still delivering supplies.......so multi tasking?

Carnival’s homeport pier was more damaged but their pier for Day visits would be the same, in Old San Juan. CCL seems to be taking a more cautious approach , to protect guest experience, while RCL seems to want to get ships and ports back together sooner. Which you prefer likely depends on whether you were scheduled to sail in November or December.

Perfect explanation. Firstly, I did not remember that different lines had assigned or their own piers. Makes perfect sense now. Thanks!

Edited by ATLfuzzy

I am so sorry you feel this way but as many others have told you on two other threads you started....most people are happy to go spend their tourist dollars to help the islanders. You are now repeating posts in the same thread....post 786 and 793.

"Most people" who are on these cruises do not post here on cruise critic.

Maybe you want to spend your vacation dollars on damaged islands that are not fully visitor-ready and which other cruise lines are not yet visiting, but that's YOUR money. Don't presume to tell others how to spend THEIR vacation money.

So I will repeat what the poster has said:

Call Royal Caribbean and tell them it is too soon to be visiting these ports. 305-539-6455

Are they interchangeable in osj? Carnival can just pull in wherever, etc? And even Royal hasn't done day stops yet, so I would bet that they are still working on the whole pier area there.

"Most people" who are on these cruises do not post here on cruise critic.

Maybe you want to spend your vacation dollars on damaged islands that are not fully visitor-ready and which other cruise lines are not yet visiting, but that's YOUR money. Don't presume to tell others how to spend THEIR vacation money.

So I will repeat what the poster has said:

Call Royal Caribbean and tell them it is too soon to be visiting these ports. 305-539-6455

You have it so backwards. You guys are the ones telling us how to spend our money and vacation time. The majority here don't have an issue. If we had an issue we would be calling. Like you guys. But we don't. Y'all are trying to impose your will upon us. It's not the other way around.

Go ahead and cancel. Please. I personally am tying to convince the family to take an extra cruise so we can go there and help them directly by taking taxis and eating in open restaurants and helping the people in osj and any other island a cruise goes to.

My psyche can deal with seeing a town that's not picture perfect. And I won't be "partying" or "playing". I will be respectfully visiting as I always do. While paying money.

Are they interchangeable in osj? Carnival can just pull in wherever, etc? And even Royal hasn't done day stops yet, so I would bet that they are still working on the whole pier area there.

You have it so backwards. You guys are the ones telling us how to spend our money and vacation time. The majority here don't have an issue. If we had an issue we would be calling. Like you guys. But we don't. Y'all are trying to impose your will upon us. It's not the other way around.

Go ahead and cancel. Please. I personally am tying to convince the family to take an extra cruise so we can go there and help them directly by taking taxis and eating in open restaurants and helping the people in osj and any other island a cruise goes to.

My psyche can deal with seeing a town that's not picture perfect. And I won't be "partying" or "playing". I will be respectfully visiting as I always do. While paying money.

Well said. Agree 100%