Any update on cruises scheduled to leave from Puerto Rico?

mixplix

Quick question re: cell service in San Juan. We are flying in around noon on Saturday and are hoping to be able to communicate that afternoon or evening by phone regarding a family situation in the States, preferably without paying $7 or $8 a minute through the ship. We have T-mobile and our phones can make cell or wifi calls. Can those who have gone before us gives us a heads up. What are our chances ... ? Thanks.

kathy

Quick question re: cell service in San Juan. We are flying in around noon on Saturday and are hoping to be able to communicate that afternoon or evening by phone regarding a family situation in the States, preferably without paying $7 or $8 a minute through the ship. We have T-mobile and our phones can make cell or wifi calls. Can those who have gone before us gives us a heads up. What are our chances ... ? Thanks.

kathy

It's the US. We have T-Mobile and made no charge phone calls while there.

kathy

Once you're on the ship you can get the Internet package and use ship wifi. As you mentioned, you can make wifi calls via T-mobile, but I'd also have another wifi calling backup set up on your phone, such as the Google Hangouts app, which lets you make free outgoing calls anywhere in North America as long as you're connected to wifi. You can also make voice calls to others that use messaging services such as Facebook Messenger or Apple iMessage/FaceTime.

In 2017, there aren't really many reasons to have to pickup your stateroom phone to call and pay $7/minute.

Well, its official. Liat Airlines has canceled my flight from Grenada to San Juan. We're now taking the "scenic route" (Grenada to JFK and then JFK to San Juan). Kicker is that Liat is refusing to refund the money we paid for the ticket citing the cancellation as an "Act of God" even though their terms and conditions say that they'll give a refund in the event of a cancellation, with no mention of an "Act of God." Called the CC company this morning and am going to let them fight it out.

Well, its official. Liat Airlines has canceled my flight from Grenada to San Juan. We're now taking the "scenic route" (Grenada to JFK and then JFK to San Juan). Kicker is that Liat is refusing to refund the money we paid for the ticket citing the cancellation as an "Act of God" even though their terms and conditions say that they'll give a refund in the event of a cancellation, with no mention of an "Act of God." Called the CC company this morning and am going to let them fight it out.

That is terrible!!

The site that provides hotels etc was updated today.

http://puertoriconow.seepuertorico.com/hotels/

Here we go again.

While I don't know why they keep publishing incorrect information, the Hampton Inn is not accepting reservations and, in fact, cancelled ours 5 weeks from now. What that web-site doesn't mention is that many that are open are open only to FEMA and the reservations they are accepting in some cases don't begin until the new year.

I contacted that web-site to let them know and they said I would need to phone them to have it corrected. :(

Here we go again.

While I don't know why they keep publishing incorrect information, the Hampton Inn is not accepting reservations and, in fact, cancelled ours 5 weeks from now. What that web-site doesn't mention is that many that are open are open only to FEMA and the reservations they are accepting in some cases don't begin until the new year.

I contacted that web-site to let them know and they said I would need to phone them to have it corrected. :(

Yes I totally agree, very frustrating. I had a reservation at the Hampton Inn that was cancelled. I am now booked at 3 hotels for Dec 2nd just in case and will cancel 2 of them closer to the date.

Things keep changing and you have to keep calling to ensure your reservations are still available.

Good idea. Lots of people on AOS report staying at Comfort Inn but I will leave it for them to chime in.

Called today to confirm our reservation at the Comfort Inn for the 27th and they cancelled it :mad: I was told the hotel is "not suitable" and that they are cancelling "most reservations" for the 27th. Not sure what happened since people have reported staying there for last week's cruise

On the news last night it was reported that only 12% of the people in Puerto Rico have electricity, and the numbers are actually decreasing.

I'm sure they will concentrate efforts on areas generating tourist income, but their situation is dire.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

They even left in sailings that already happen.

AND it keeps saying they "will visit St. Martin on Wednesday." I'm a substitute teacher. This is just poor cut and pasting. What about the other ports? We are on Jewel and it isn't on the board. We are scheduled for St. Croix, St. Martin AND Dominica. The lack of information is getting ridiculous.

Renee

Thanks to everyone for the info in this thread. We have reservations 12/28 for our 12/30 cruise at the Hampton Inn. As has been said their specific site states "Due to Hurricane Maria, the hotel is no longer accepting existing or new reservations through January 1, 2018. Our hotel will be waiving cancellation penalties for reservations arriving Tuesday, September 19 through Monday, January 1. We encourage guests with existing reservations to contact 1-800-HILTONS." We have not received any cancellation notification and it still looked valid online but based other's experience in this thread my DW called Hilton last night. They confirmed that our reservation was still valid. However the person she talked with didn't seem like he was exactly on top of his game. So DW is going to call the hotel directly today or tomorrow and check with them. I'm hoping that as close as we are to 1/1/18 and being over the holidays that if Hampton is being used by FEMA that maybe everyone will be out by then.

We called the Hampton Inn directly and they told us our reservation will be cancelled. They told us we would receive a notification in the next several weeks. So as others have said the corporate office or their phone agents aren't completely aware as what is going on. If you aren't sure go the extra step and call the hotel directly. Hilton said we were fine, the hotel told us it would be cancelled. We booked a room at Embassy Suites by Hilton Dorado del Mar Beach Resort as they were accepting reservations. We might still look at other options or a backup plan but I think we will be fine if a little further out from the city.

On the news last night it was reported that only 12% of the people in Puerto Rico have electricity, and the numbers are actually decreasing.

I'm sure they will concentrate efforts on areas generating tourist income, but their situation is dire.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There has been no power since last Thursday. This is for Isla Verde area (near airport). - think it's all over. A friend living there says she has to lineup at grocery store every day for milk. Lineups for restaurants - people eating one meal a day now. Crazy stuff. She will email me when power is back on.

NJ

Passengers should not be forced to leave from an island that is still receiving help from FEMA and the Red Cross and considered a disaster area.

It should be at the discretion of the traveler, until which time it is deemed at full capacity.

All deposits and monies on cruises until that time, should be converted into future cruise credits. Nobody should be forced to decide between traveling to a disaster area or losing money.