Cash vs credit card for on board account

kawagama

Can anyone advise which is better to use for the on board account--cash or credit card? We are not big drinkers or shoppers, so we are not worried about not having enough money to cover a cash account. When I went to check in on line, I initially went for credit card option, but, because we are Canadian, the questions about currency exchange confused me. Not being sure which of the two options for exchange to use (RCCI or the other), I simply opted for a cash account. Now I am wondering whether one of us will have to stand in line for a long time on the last day trying to square up the account. If someone could advise me, I would be very appreciative. I am assuming that I can still change that option even though I have printed our set sail pass?

I have used a cash account in the past and have found it annoying to go to guest services in the middle of the cruise and put more cash on the account. Although that can be circumvented by not spending everything on the account in the first two days like I do. [emoji854]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can easily switch to a credit card when you check in or anytime after boarding. In most cases, your card will give you a better conversion rate than Royal. Even if you have a credit card on the account, you can pay it off with cash, if you want.

I thought I lost a prepaid debit card so I ran to the bank to get a new one. The old one had my name. The new one was "Valued Customer". They wouldn't take it at check in. Had to have my name. I panicked. Went to the ATM and withdrew cash. It was annoying to me to go to Guest Services and put more cash on then go again to get my cash back. Much prefer a card.

We prefer cash account so we have control over exactly what we pay for. On these forums it was mentioned that rccl used to add extra charges for mini fridge that hasnt been used after the cruise. We are also canadian, and my credit card company charges currency conversion fee for all usd transactions.

It is not a hassle to deposit cash with Guest Services. They'll let you run up a $200 bill before asking for more money. We figure $100 a day so on embarkation day, I give Guest Services the same amount my TA gave as a perk. We did a 24 night sailing on a cash account...only had to add money at the end of the cruise because I had to use the medical facility (reimbursed by my Blue Cross coverage once I got home).

It is not a hassle to deposit cash with Guest Services. They'll let you run up a $200 bill before asking for more money. We figure $100 a day so on embarkation day, I give Guest Services the same amount my TA gave as a perk. We did a 24 night sailing on a cash account...only had to add money at the end of the cruise because I had to use the medical facility (reimbursed by my Blue Cross coverage once I got home).

They will actually let you run up a charge of $500 for a 7 day or longer cruise and $300 for a 6 day or shorter cruise.

We prefer cash account so we have control over exactly what we pay for. On these forums it was mentioned that rccl used to add extra charges for mini fridge that hasnt been used after the cruise. We are also canadian, and my credit card company charges currency conversion fee for all usd transactions.

Most RCI ships we've been on lately the fridge's are now empty.

We have used a cash account every cruise after our first 2. This negates the mini bar or mysterious charges after the cruise has ended on your credit cars.

No problem really as i just go the 2nd to last night on cruise and settle up the bill. Also make sure to leave enough for the gratuities for the next 2 nights so you dont have to go down to guest services on the crazy last night.

Also cash account lets me take any non refundable obc left without a service charge.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Thank you for all the tips! Much appreciated. We are not big spenders while on a cruise (at least we weren't on our first one!) and had a $200 OBC that we had to work hard to spend. This time we don't have any OBC and our gratuities have already been prepaid. I don't mind paying cash; I just don't want to stand in line at guest services on our last day--not a fun way to end a cruise!

Thank you for all the tips! Much appreciated. We are not big spenders while on a cruise (at least we weren't on our first one!) and had a $200 OBC that we had to work hard to spend. This time we don't have any OBC and our gratuities have already been prepaid. I don't mind paying cash; I just don't want to stand in line at guest services on our last day--not a fun way to end a cruise!

You can start out with the cash account and on the last day (morning, afternoon, whenever the line is minimal at GS) switch to a credit card.

I prefer cash. I'm a night owl so the one or two times I needed/wanted to add cash I just went during off hours. The last full day I went and added my CC because I ran out of cash and needed to charge like $20 more. It worked great, no huge authorization.

We were on Independence last year and used cash. Reason was there were numerous posts on CC where double charges had been debited to cards, extra amounts with no explanation, many of which only became evident after the cruise and therefore, more difficult to resolve. One friend of ours was overcharged $300 on his credit card several months ago and still the maytter isnt resolved. RCI blaming the bank and vice versa.

Going on the Jewel next month and it'll be cash only again.