Disembarking: 9:45am Flight to early?

NjoyNmytime

I would not be confident having many factors that can cause delay. For one, ship arrival time is just tentative.

We usually prefer to have a stress-free disembarkation activity and take a noon or later flight.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Very early. I would definitely try to move to a later flight but... Make sure to do self-disembarkation in the earliest available slot. At least it's not a long drive to the airport. There are taxis available as soon as you exit the ship. Ask the first "official" person you see and they will direct you.

You won't sleep the night before. Too many things can slow you down - customs, unanticipated disembarkment delays, taxi wait,street traffic, any number of airport delays including security.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Good luck! You’ll need a ton of it to make a flight that early.

It’s possible as long as there are no delays, you self-disembark and carry all of your luggage and carry-ons without any assistance and still have one hand free for the escalator, you pre-check-in online, and there are very short lines to drop off your luggage and through Security. Having TSA-Pre should help going through Security.

I’ve taken too many cruises disembarking in Ft. Lauderdale with delays due to too few immigration agents and long lines at FLL. Several times, disembarkation didn’t start until about 9:30am with passengers furious and anxious that they’re missing their flights. I’ve barely made an 11:20am flight several times.

Can you make it? Sure. Want to bet on it? No. Who are you going to blame/complain to if there is a delay anywhere along the line? You are making the reservations, it is not up to anyone to make sure you make your flight. Would not do it but Good Luck,

As others have said you might make it if the ship is on time; immigration is fully staffed; you do self disembarkation (realizing that not everyone can be off the ship first even in that case); have Global Entry that will get you through immigration much faster; don't encounter extremely long lines to check luggage; and have TSA pre-check to get through security quicker.

Make sure you have a plan B. When is the next available flight? Will you be able to get a seat? How much will it cost you? I don't know when you are traveling but on a Saturday or Sunday in the winter, Port Everglades can have 6 - 8 ships in port both days and flights our of Fort Lauderdale are full. What if there isn't a seat available that entire day? Can you budget the time and money to spend a night in a hotel?

It would be very risky. The ship may arrive in port at 6 AM but then it has to be cleared by the government before anyone can get off the ship which sometimes can take awhile. You will need to carry off your own luggage in the first group to leave so that there is no large lines at immigration. Hopefully you are carrying a passport which will make it easier to get cleared. If all goes well, you could be off and outside the terminal at 8 or so. The taxis are waiting and the drive is usually only 10 minutes or less depending on the traffic. At the airport you will need to give them your luggage, clear security (TSA stamp will be very helpful) and get to your gate. If all goes well, there should not be a problem and you can sink into your seat on the airplane and relax after a very stressful morning.

You need to find out how many ships will be in port that day and how many pax they will be debarking. You also need to consider the day you arrive back as weekdays can be heavy traffic for the roads and airport. If you miss your flight, you may not be able to get another one out until the next day or later as the airplanes are flying very full right now.

If you tell us what cruise it is or at least what day you hit port we can tell you how many ships will be there that day which can have a lot of impact on whether or not you might make your flight.

I pretty much agree with all the conditional yeses.

Useful to know other ships in PE that morning, but how many have a 6:00am arrival? There could be five other ships, but if their time is 7:00am, who cares? BTW, the ship will normally be there well ahead of 6:00am and the objective is to be cleared to begin disembarking at 6 or just after (you will see earliest walk-off times as 6:10 or 6:15 am).

Here are the factors IMO that will have you at your gate well ahead of first boarding call:

1) Early walk-off the ship with all your luggage (but per Pam you must be able to handle it on the escalators).

2) Carry-on is best as you can handle it easily, plus no bag check at the airport.

3) Global Entry or NEXUS member. This gives you a faster and less hassle customs experience. This applies to any situation where time is of the essence but if you are the first off the ship there won't be a line by definition in the terminal.

4) Already checked in with BP's printed or on your smartphone

5) TSA Pre

6) If you have to check a bag, do you have bag tags or have to print at airport? Does your airline have self-serve machines to check-in at and print bag tags and then a place to drop bags without waiting in line?

7) Take a taxi and not any kind of shuttle or bus where you will be held up.

8) Your ship is not pulling into Port Everglades for start of the season after being away from USA ports for an extended period.

If you have all the above, no reason you cannot be off the ship and at your gate in about an hour, IF the ship is on time.

Still I'd be happier with a post-10:00am flight. I'm good with 11am as I don't have to get up so darn early.

Good luck.

We always do the earliest self disembarkation at Port Everglades and have never encountered a problem. We are usually in our car driving north on I 95 before 7 am. However if I was flying I probably wouldn't book anything before 11, just in case you need to go to Plan B!

Everyone will say no, but if you get in the first walk off group and carry your luggage off, it can be done.

Just because you CAN ... doesn't mean you SHOULD.

We'd never push that timeline without a seriously good reason.

Who wants that kind of stress the last night of their cruise.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate you taking the time to answer. Although we would love that flight at 9:45 because it's non-stop and would have us home by noon, I'm going to keep searching for a better time. It seems like I will be totally stressed the night before if I try.

Just do it, and report back how much you missed the flight by after a stressful disembarkment. You have a lot of time to relax waiting for your next flight.

This was my favorite answer! Had me laughing so hard, and my husband who is not even taking this trip.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate you taking the time to answer. Although we would love that flight at 9:45 because it's non-stop and would have us home by noon, I'm going to keep searching for a better time. It seems like I will be totally stressed the night before if I try.

Yes ... unfortunately, even if you made it, you would end your cruise on a very stressful note.

We've made it to FLL from Port Everglades by 8:30 AM before but on our last cruise from that port, we asked for early disembarkation as our flight was at 11:15 (15 minutes prior to the earliest recommended debarkation time). We barely made our flight ... no time to sit down before boarding once we arrived at the airport. While non-stops are preferable and getting home early is so much better than sitting around the airport waiting for your flight time, I wouldn't be comfortable with doing it. As a matter of fact, doubt if I would even book a flight before 11:45 any more.

Does the airline you are flying have the option to switching to an earlier flight if there are seats available? If so, I would book the later one and try to get on the earlier one if you made it on time. It's such a big IF, though.