Price reduction for Royal Princess but unable to upgrade at new rate. Policy change??

jmss1950

40+ cruises on 7 cruise lines and this is a first for me. Platinum on Princess and we booked a balcony cabin many months ago for 10 night Southern Caribbean on Royal Princess in December. Paid $870 pp. Booked through agency we have used many times. I keep track of price reductions and noticed this morning that the price of mini suites had dropped to $1,099 so I called the agency to upgrade to a mini suite at that rate. TA called me back to say that Princess would not allow the $1,099 rate as this was for new bookings only. Now I understand that I cannot get money back if the category price is lowered in my category, but I wanted to pay them an extra $220 pp to upgrade to a mini suite. I have done this before several times with several companies and at least twice before with Princess. They still have a great deal of inventory available for this cruise and surely if we are offering to pay to upgrade this is to both our advantages. However, our TA was told that the lowest rate I could get was $1,399 pp. I called Princess myself to confirm that I was not eligible for the $1,099 rate and the agent confirmed that was true. I am confused as I have been able to do this in the past. Has there been a policy change? If anyone can now purchase a mini suite cabin for $300 per person less than me, why should I bother booking early in the future? In fact, with so many other good cruise lines out there these days not under the Carnival umbrella, why not just stop sailing with Princess? We will take this Princess cruise as arrangements have been made, but it may well be our last with Princess.

I very unhappy and confused Princess customer!:(

Has there been a policy change? If anyone can now purchase a mini suite cabin for $300 per person less than me, why should I bother booking early in the future?

Princess has had the 'new bookings only' prices for at least 10 years.

The days of 'you always get the lowest fare' are long gone.

So, you may not want to book in advance.

Your choices are --- book in advance, and get the cabin/ship/cruise you want.

Or gamble -- hoping to save money by booking something after final payment as a 'new' booking.

It might work, or you might get shut out.

Any price drop after final payment deadline is almost always marked "new bookings only"

Been that way for years and years.

Were the previous paid upgrades you were able to accomplish done before you made final payment? I'm guessing likely so.

Thus you have a decision: pay the $520/pp to upgrade to the mini suite. Or not.

You seem to have gotten a great rate on your balcony cabin. If you were satisfied with your initial booking no reason to not still be even if your wish to upgrade falls through.

And now that you have seen it in print I imagine you realize how poorly it come across for the first words in your post to be your loyalty status, and the last words a threat to end your future custom. A similar tone with the Princess rep is a guarantee they will not be paying any attention to your issue.

Amazes me how great prices US citizens get for Princess cruises and also the fact that they can cancel without cost before final payment. I booked a cruise on Sapphire Princess from Southampton last week so not a late booking and on the confirmation from Princess it states cancellation costs and from the day I have booked if I cancelled now I would have to pay 15% of cruise cost. I was told last year by a Princess cruise sales rep onboard that they can cancel up until final payment date with no loss of deposit and its common in US for some to book numerous cruises to guarantee certain cabins and then just before final payment date they would cancel all except the one they then decide to go on. Princess rep told me that it was something Princess were looking at to stop a glut of cabins suddenly becoming available just before final payment date.

Amazes me how great prices US citizens get for Princess cruises and also the fact that they can cancel without cost before final payment. I was told last year by a Princess cruise sales rep onboard that they can cancel up until final payment date with no loss of deposit and its common in US.

I am in the US, and when I made a booking for my November cruise back in July, the Princess website warned me several times that the $200 deposit was non-refundable at any time.

Amazes me how great prices US citizens get for Princess cruises and also the fact that they can cancel without cost before final payment. I booked a cruise on Sapphire Princess from Southampton last week so not a late booking and on the confirmation from Princess it states cancellation costs and from the day I have booked if I cancelled now I would have to pay 15% of cruise cost. I was told last year by a Princess cruise sales rep onboard that they can cancel up until final payment date with no loss of deposit and its common in US for some to book numerous cruises to guarantee certain cabins and then just before final payment date they would cancel all except the one they then decide to go on. Princess rep told me that it was something Princess were looking at to stop a glut of cabins suddenly becoming available just before final payment date.

Look on the bright side, for the first time in years cruises booked in the UK area lot cheaper than the US. At long last they are paying more....

I am in the US, and when I made a booking for my November cruise back in July, the Princess website warned me several times that the $200 deposit was non-refundable at any time.
In the US, there are some promotions that have such good fares that deposits are not refundable. This isn’t the norm. Just a few special promotions.

Not a Policy Change . It has been that way for a long time .

When it states "New bookings only" after final ,

Princess holds true to that .

Some Princess Top Producer TA's do have contacts within Princess to

work around that restriction . ( I know because I use to be one ).

However , when it states "New bookings only" before final , Princess is very flexible since you have the power to cancel & rebook.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

While I do understand the issue and new bookings I am merely confused as I have within the past 10 years and after full payment had been made, had some extra funds which allowed me to upgrade to a higher category, paid more money and received that category at the new pricing.

As the heading shows, I was asking if there had been a policy change. Also I put in loyalty status and information on previous cruises to indicate that this is by no means our first cruising experience.

I am not unhappy with my balcony, but I can now afford the extra money to upgrade to a higher category. I am willing to pay some extra but It seems to me that Princess is rewarding those who book last minute so what is the incentive to book early? Also please note I was not in any way unpleasant to Princess when I called them, but both myself and my TA were surprised when Princess would not honor the rate for an upgrade with additional payment.

Yes I do live in the US [Texas] and I do have insurance, but my whole thrust is I have done this before and it has not been a problem. Why is it suddenly not possible? Nor do I feel that Princess is being reasonable to someone who has sailed with them 8 times before by not allowing them to spend extra money and upgrade. Wouldn't it be a show of support for members loyalty to give them the first options of upgrading for a fee?

In general I have enjoyed cruising with Princess, but yes, there are other excellent cruise lines out there that I have sailed with previously, e.g. Celebrity, Disney, RCCL and MSC and I will be looking harder at them for future cruises.

Sorry for your frustration...suggest that you continue to monitor rates. If they stay like you currently find them, I would call or have your TA call closer to your sail date.

By then they will have a better idea of their needs with 'new' bookings, guarantees, etc. You may have more success then.

While I do understand the issue and new bookings I am merely confused as I have within the past 10 years and after full payment had been made, had some extra funds which allowed me to upgrade to a higher category, paid more money and received that category at the new pricing.

As the heading shows, I was asking if there had been a policy change. Also I put in loyalty status and information on previous cruises to indicate that this is by no means our first cruising experience.

I am not unhappy with my balcony, but I can now afford the extra money to upgrade to a higher category. I am willing to pay some extra but It seems to me that Princess is rewarding those who book last minute so what is the incentive to book early? Also please note I was not in any way unpleasant to Princess when I called them, but both myself and my TA were surprised when Princess would not honor the rate for an upgrade with additional payment.

Yes I do live in the US [Texas] and I do have insurance, but my whole thrust is I have done this before and it has not been a problem. Why is it suddenly not possible? Nor do I feel that Princess is being reasonable to someone who has sailed with them 8 times before by not allowing them to spend extra money and upgrade. Wouldn't it be a show of support for members loyalty to give them the first options of upgrading for a fee?

In general I have enjoyed cruising with Princess, but yes, there are other excellent cruise lines out there that I have sailed with previously, e.g. Celebrity, Disney, RCCL and MSC and I will be looking harder at them for future cruises.

In both your posts you imply that you'll be switching to other lines in the future.. Why tell us ? The posters here have no influence with Princess and in reality I pretty sure no one really cares if you don't sail on Princess in the future. There have been reasonable posted explanations of Princess policy regarding after final payment "new bookings only" that most here by their own experiences have excepted and are aware of.

Your self-stated previous after final payment upgrade payments on Princess seem to be a anomaly and contrary to what the stated Princess policy has been for many years now, so perhaps yes, it may be time to switch to another line which in your judgement might be more flexable in their printed policies, and take more into account your "status", that you have referred to in all your posts

Good luck with your future bookings

Srpilo

I think it all depends on who you talk to, how you talk to them, the level of price change and vacancy rates of your particular sailing because it can be done, even as recent as this morning.

One thing is for sure, if you approach them with the attitude that you won’t sail with them ever again, you’re wasting your time. Coming off as self-entitled gets you nowhere, not just with Princess, but with customer service departments all over. Folks are tired of dealing with that kind of attitude.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Did you have any perks in the old booking. If so, they are not going to give you the new rate with the old promotions. If not, you can try asking the agent to speak with Guest Relations to see if they can override the rules.

You might also see an upsell opportunity at some point. Tell your TA that you want to get a mini-suite if an upsell email was sent and you might get it for less than what you are willing to pay now...

Enjoy the other cruise lines... Who have the same policies!

When did you do those upgrades? Is it possible they were made before final payment? The policy is very simple, if you want to upgrade yourself, you pay the amount that was in place at the time of your booking. After final payment, price drops are usually for new bookings only.

You will find this all across the cruise lines!

Good luck!

if you want to upgrade yourself, you pay the amount that was in place at the time of your booking.

exactly this! years ago i was hoping to upgrade once the prices went down. i could... but it would have been at the price when i booked.

if you've been allowed to do this before, consider yourself lucky, as that's not the norm.

I have a friend who did just what you are trying to do on a cruise he just got back from last week. He had inside & noticed the price for the balcony was just about the same as he paid. He was able to upgrade but it took a couple of phone calls. He had booked directly through Princess. Don't know if that makes a difference. I have asked for upgrades in the past when fares went down & got resistance, but they eventually did it at least twice even though it was for new bookings only.

Princess has had the 'new bookings only' prices for at least 10 years.

The days of 'you always get the lowest fare' are long gone.

So, you may not want to book in advance.

Your choices are --- book in advance, and get the cabin/ship/cruise you want.

Or gamble -- hoping to save money by booking something after final payment as a 'new' booking.

It might work, or you might get shut out.

Princess will give you the lower fare in the same cabin, but my not allow you to upgrade to a new cabin as op wants. These changes all need to be made before final payment.

I had a similar experience to the OP on HAL some time ago, I booked a cruise out of Rome, check prices and found HAL was offerring a free transfer so asked my TA to get us the free transfer because the cabin price had dropped. HAL said not only for new bookings, so what my TA did was cancel our booking and rebook... got both the lower fare and the free transfer.. what a way to run a cruise line. LOL does not make sense, only to them.

Posted Yesterday, 06:35 PM

I have a friend who did just what you are trying to do on a cruise he just got back from last week. He had inside & noticed the price for the balcony was just about the same as he paid. He was able to upgrade but it took a couple of phone calls. He had booked directly through Princess. Don't know if that makes a difference. I have asked for upgrades in the past when fares went down & got resistance, but they eventually did it at least twice even though it was for new bookings only.

Originally posted by pris993 Princess will give you the lower fare in the same cabin, but my not allow you to upgrade to a new cabin as op wants.

Not true, I was able to do so today.

To those of you who do not seem to understand why I am posting this or consider that I think I am "entitled", it can and has been be done! Please look at these other posts. Also my TA is equally frustrated because he has done this before and not had a problem. If no upgrade after payment is policy as they state, why will they allow it on some bookings but not all?

If I were you, I would have my travel agent mark my booking so that it says "upgrade to next cabin category only" instead of "any upgrade". You might be offered an upsell to where you want to be.

I just went through the same thing. Wanted to change from a BW (obstructed) guaranty to a BE. Price wise should have been a lateral move. TA was told $346 more! I have always been able to upgrade after final pay by paying difference. Last time was in March when I upgraded from a regular mini suite to CC. Prior to that was last Dec. I was able to upgrade from an inside to a balcony after final pay for $200 as a solo. TA also surprised. Said if you try & cancel & rebook they will invoke the non-refundable deposit. The latter is now standard on most bookings.

FYI, apparently things can be changed as we have now succeeded in upgrading! Why didn't they just do this in the first place? If you are in the same situation, keep trying and good luck. Also before everyone suggests that I probably hassled them, I did not, but my TA who was unhappy with the outcome yesterday did call Princess again this morning and spoke with someone different.

FYI, apparently things can be changed as we have now succeeded in upgrading! Why didn't they just do this in the first place? If you are in the same situation, keep trying and good luck. Also before everyone suggests that I probably hassled them, I did not, but my TA who was unhappy with the outcome yesterday did call Princess again this morning and spoke with someone different.

Thanks for sharing your story. It proves that you have to keep on calling them to get what you want. They are not consistent.

Glad it worked out for you. We are on same sailing but as of yesterday could not get much of a deal by upgrading from our balcony G.