Corkage Fee - Corkscrew

brywood

To avoid the MDR corkage fee, is it allowed to take your corkscrew with you and open the bottle of wine yourself while dining?

Or another option, open the bottle of wine in the room then cork it while carrying it to dinner?

To avoid the MDR corkage fee, is it allowed to take your corkscrew with you and open the bottle of wine yourself while dining?

Or another option, open the bottle of wine in the room then cork it while carrying it to dinner?

Strangely enough, the corkage fee has nothing to do with opening the cork. The charge is for bringing your bottle of wine to a public venue, not opening the bottle. Carrying glasses of wine is a sure way to avoid the corkage fee.

If you take the bottle into any public area, it is subject to the corkage fee. Corkage fee has nothing to do with removing the cork. Open and drink in your cabin or pour the wine into a glass to take with you.

the only way to avoid the corkage fee is to bring full glasses into the DR with you. not a bottle.

But do they allow you to bring a corkscrew? Not sure DD is going to need us to bring wine, since she has the drink package, but I would feel weird NOT bringing the wine...

Yes, you can bring a corkscrew. I'd avoid bringing the kind with a knife.

There was no mention of a corkage fee when we carried our opened bottle of wine into the MDR on our October 2nd Majesty cruise :D

Sherri:)

I suspect that the crewmembers really don't want to annoy the guests by charging this fee, so will "forget" if they think they can get away with it.

But do they allow you to bring a corkscrew? Not sure DD is going to need us to bring wine, since she has the drink package, but I would feel weird NOT bringing the wine...

Room service will deliver a corkscrew and wine glasses to your room. I guess they may charge these days, with the room service fee.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sorry, this is diverging from OP's question -- does anyone know if we can get a couple of empty (wine) glasses at a bar onboard? I guess we could use a BOGO offer to buy a couple of glasses of wine and not return the glasses. ;p

Yes, just ask them for glasses.

Sorry, this is diverging from OP's question -- does anyone know if we can get a couple of empty (wine) glasses at a bar onboard? I guess we could use a BOGO offer to buy a couple of glasses of wine and not return the glasses. ;p

I've never had a problem requesting empty wine glasses at a bar (with a $1 tip held out to bartender). I've also asked for and received wine glasses from cabin steward but prefer to get them myself.

I've only gotten glasses at the pool bar once - they were plastic.

~ Judy

Room service will deliver a corkscrew and wine glasses to your room. I guess they may charge these days, with the room service fee.

url]

It's not room service that brings the corkscrew or glasses, it's your cabin steward at no charge.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On Harmony in August, we simply asked our room steward for a few wine glasses and a corkscrew. It was not a problem. We also took wine bottles to MDR fully expecting to be charged a corkage fee but we never were. It seems to be hit or miss.

We’ve always just asked our cabin steward for wine glasses, no problem.

We were on Vision in July and just got off Oasis last Sunday. I open the wine in our cabin, then simply place the cork back in and carry the bottle to the MDR. The waiters eagerly brought us glasses, poured the wine, and put our white wines in a wine bucket to keep it chilled. On Oasis, one night, my wife had jammed the cork in too far and it got stuck and broke off while we were trying to open it. A random waiter saw the dilemma (our waiters were busy) and stopped, pulled out his corkscrew, and pulled the cork for us, no corkage fees. In fact, we have NEVER been charged a corkage fee. We do try to bring screw top wines though.

Also, we had 3 bottles in our stateroom, two from Crown and Anchor, and one from our TA. All 3 had a sticker on them saying they were not to be charged a corkage fee. But we had 4 more that we brought on board and no charge. My advice, open the wine before you take it. Be prepared for the corkage fee. If you are charged, bring only glasses as advised. My guess is most people aren't being charged this ridiculous fee. Oh yeah... not charging the fee is also remembered by me in my tips.

Yes, you can bring a corkscrew. I'd avoid bringing the kind with a knife.

I bring my double jointed cork screw (waiter's key) with the little knife in my carry on all the time with no problem. Only time I have to be sure it is out of my carry on is when I fly. TSA has a supply of some of my favorites when I forgot. :(