Call to Cancel Cruise -- HAL Too Businesslike?

GradUT

Well I personally do not think a bit of personal touch would have been out of line. That is the exact reason most of us list as one of the things we like best about HAL and that keep us coming back: the personal service. So I find the OP to be spot on. It was weird for the HAL rep not to throw in a kind sentence. It would have taken all of 10 seconds of their time.

Ok, so I will risk the great wrath of the flame. But I think the entire "personal touch" when used in conjunction with HAL is a lot of baloney. We cruise many different cruise lines and HAL's so-called personal service is similar to what we find on Celebrity, Princess, Azamara, etc etc. That is not a criticism of HAL (we like HAL and think the service is usually great) but simply saying that we get the same type of great service on nearly every cruise line. We know that some HAL lovers think that the line is in a class of its own....but our experience is that HAL is simply one more mass market line with its pros and cons. Two years ago we met some other HAL cruisers (who we had met on a couple of HAL cruises) while waiting in line to board the Celebrity Eclipse. We walked aboard (at embarkation) with this other couple and suddenly we all stopped as a very good looking man (a Tom Cruise lookalike) came out from behind a table and gave DW a hug! A minute later when he left to go back to his table (signing up folks for drink and wine packages) our old HAL friends asked what in the world it was all about. DW explained that the man was simply a Celebrity bar tender (from Columbia) that we knew from our Eclipse cruise the prior year. The woman (a frequent HAL cruiser) remarked that she thought that was the kind of thing that only happened on HAL :). And yes, it does happen on HAL....but not excursively on HAL.

Hank

Ok, so I will risk the great wrath of the flame. But I think the entire "personal touch" when used in conjunction with HAL is a lot of baloney. We cruise many different cruise lines and HAL's so-called personal service is similar to what we find on Celebrity, Princess, Azamara, etc etc. That is not a criticism of HAL (we like HAL and think the service is usually great) but simply saying that we get the same type of great service on nearly every cruise line. We know that some HAL lovers think that the line is in a class of its own....but our experience is that HAL is simply one more mass market line with its pros and cons. Two years ago we met some other HAL cruisers (who we had met on a couple of HAL cruises) while waiting in line to board the Celebrity Eclipse. We walked aboard (at embarkation) with this other couple and suddenly we all stopped as a very good looking man (a Tom Cruise lookalike) came out from behind a table and gave DW a hug! A minute later when he left to go back to his table (signing up folks for drink and wine packages) our old HAL friends asked what in the world it was all about. DW explained that the man was simply a Celebrity bar tender (from Columbia) that we knew from our Eclipse cruise the prior year. The woman (a frequent HAL cruiser) remarked that she thought that was the kind of thing that only happened on HAL :). And yes, it does happen on HAL....but not excursively on HAL.

Hank

Thank you for this post. Every word is so true but people wouldn’t know this if they only sail one line. Cruise lines are more alike than different.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you for this post. Every word is so true but people wouldn’t know this if they only sail one line. Cruise lines are more alike than different.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have only sailed HAL, Princess, Disney, a less than 50 passenger expedition line in Australia and a Greek line. So my experience is not as extensive as some but I find HAL ship crew to be far friendlier than those we encountered on Princess or Disney except cabin stewards which we found equal.

Ok, so I will risk the great wrath of the flame. But I think the entire "personal touch" when used in conjunction with HAL is a lot of baloney. We cruise many different cruise lines and HAL's so-called personal service is similar to what we find on Celebrity, Princess, Azamara, etc etc. That is not a criticism of HAL .... <snip>

Hank

I am glad to read your impressions Hank. If HAL keeps going the way they are and my doctors give me the okay to cruise again and we pay for 2 university educations ( phew that is a lot of conditions) then we look forward to finding out personally.

My above comment was based on my recollection of threadsI have read over the last 7 years when people asked what people like about HAL.

It comes down to basic employee training.

It pays to invest in your employees-reduces staff turnover and increases revenue and profit.

I still smile when I purchase something at the dept. store where I worked part time as a university student 45 years ago. My card is handed back and the clerk thanks me by name. Still doing that basic training that I went through. When I buy a dress shirt, etc the sales clerk offers to take me over to select a tie. Makes me smile even after all these years. And guess what....it is one of the last surviving dept stores in Canada. I guess they are still investing in training. Not a place to cut corners.

This exact experience happened to me today. The clerk smiled, thanked me, and called me by name. I, in turn, thanked her using her name. It makes a business transaction memorable.

Why has our human interaction deteriorated to robot status? What has happened to our humanity?

I made a small purchase tthe other day, when the clerk gave me my bag and receipt, I said 'thank you, rather automatically. He answered, : "No one says thank you anymore, why do you?" Groan Is there a way to answer that???

I made a small purchase tthe other day, when the clerk gave me my bag and receipt, I said 'thank you, rather automatically. He answered, : "No one says thank you anymore, why do you?" Groan Is there a way to answer that???

Hi Sail. My easy answer to that person would be "I'm not 'no one'." ;)

This is a big pet peeve of mine. I've worked in retail and you always thanked the customer. I still say thank you when I make a purchase but it's rare when I hear it from the store clerk.

As far as Hal being businesslike I prefer that. If I want to offer some information that is up to me.

Why would a business person on a phone ca ll speaking with someone she does not know lhink they should be warm and cuddly and hold your hand? SHE might well have 5 calls backed up waiting to speak with a rep. Most of us, these days, want our call ansswered, dealt with efficiently and professionally. She did what was was required of her. she did what you needed from her. She did fine, IMO

Many of us would think it inappropriate or her to make other than business comments. I don't expect, in the world of corporate Ameirca to have more than my business tended to an d am thrilled when that happens. Clearly, YMMV.You are looking in the wrong pladce if you esxpect a corporate phone rep to get all sugary and interersted in your personal issues. IMO.

Very sorry you hadtto cacrel your cruise.

I didn't see where the OP suggested the rep should have been "warm and cuddly" or "sugary" or expected hand holding or an interest in the OP's "personal issues." I DID see that the OP was surprised that the rep didn't ask why they were cancelling. Nothing wrong with posting that.

Wow how disappointing. It is rare here not to hear a greeting and a thank you and even a “have a good day/night” with each purchase. It doesn’t even matter the type of store, it is just routine. Maybe we are too chatty?

Edited by 1of4

It's kind of interesting, the prevalence of replies saying no need for cuddly, handholding attitudes from HAL phone reps. Regardless of how this truly relates (or not) to the OP, it seems that a friendly reception (as opposed to businesslike) from HAL employees is extremely important to most CC posters once aboard ship.

I agree that very few folks say "thank you" when I make a purchase. Usually I am the one, like you Sail7Seas, who says thank you to the clerk. It should be the other way around, with the clerk thanking you for your purchase, or shopping at that store. Many polite formalities from the past are dying out, I don't know why......society has changed I guess.

It's kind of interesting, the prevalence of replies saying no need for cuddly, handholding attitudes from HAL phone reps. Regardless of how this truly relates (or not) to the OP, it seems that a friendly reception (as opposed to businesslike) from HAL employees is extremely important to most CC posters once aboard ship.

I think you are confusing two, totally unrelated situations. When I am dealing with somebody on the phone I expect a clear, concise conversation that quickly gets the job done. But when out in the real world dealing with folks face to face (such as on a ship) its an entirely different situation. For example, if a cabin steward wants to stop and chat you can usually read the body language and have a nice conversation. But other times that same cabin steward might be in a hurry (to do his/her job) and most folks can sense (through body language) that its not the time to hold him/her up. If I am sitting at a bar, and the bar tender is not busy, its a great time to chat, learn about his/her family, etc. But if that bar tender is busy, I am not going to keep him from his other customers. I guess this is called basic social skills.

I used to work in a large office where we had dozens of nurses (RNs) whose job was to conduct business on the phone. Like the cruise line call center employees, these folks had 1 or 2 computer screens, headsets, etc. There were also monitored (by supervisors) and were trained to conduct business on the phone,,,but to deal with each call as quickly and efficiently as possible. We did not pay these folks to chat on the phone...since that meant that other customers would be stuck in a hold queue. In many cases they even had written "scripts" that gave them guidance on how to handle specific questions or issues. That is the world of call centers.

Hank

I think you are confusing two, totally unrelated situations. When I am dealing with somebody on the phone I expect a clear, concise conversation that quickly gets the job done. But when out in the real world dealing with folks face to face (such as on a ship) its an entirely different situation. For example, if a cabin steward wants to stop and chat you can usually read the body language and have a nice conversation. But other times that same cabin steward might be in a hurry (to do his/her job) and most folks can sense (through body language) that its not the time to hold him/her up. If I am sitting at a bar, and the bar tender is not busy, its a great time to chat, learn about his/her family, etc. But if that bar tender is busy, I am not going to keep him from his other customers. I guess this is called basic social skills.

I used to work in a large office where we had dozens of nurses (RNs) whose job was to conduct business on the phone. Like the cruise line call center employees, these folks had 1 or 2 computer screens, headsets, etc. There were also monitored (by supervisors) and were trained to conduct business on the phone,,,but to deal with each call as quickly and efficiently as possible. We did not pay these folks to chat on the phone...since that meant that other customers would be stuck in a hold queue. In many cases they even had written "scripts" that gave them guidance on how to handle specific questions or issues. That is the world of call centers.

Hank

Absolutely.

Another issue that comes up in the "reservations" side of business - people lie. Yes, people lie. Asking why someone is cancelling just opens up the Pandora's Box of "reasons" some are willing to say to try to phish for a freebie or a total refund. Unless someone is required to get a reason from the person on the phone, sometimes it is just best to stick to the script and say "of course I will cancel your reservation for you" and end it (with a "thank you" as you smile - old trick from Forbes training - if you smile as you talk on the phone, it sounds friendly, even if you are rolling your eyes at the same time)

Absolutely.

Another issue that comes up in the "reservations" side of business - people lie. Yes, people lie. Asking why someone is cancelling just opens up the Pandora's Box of "reasons" some are willing to say to try to phish for a freebie or a total refund. Unless someone is required to get a reason from the person on the phone, sometimes it is just best to stick to the script and say "of course I will cancel your reservation for you" and end it (with a "thank you" as you smile - old trick from Forbes training - if you smile as you talk on the phone, it sounds friendly, even if you are rolling your eyes at the same time)

Great point: it's tough to sound grumpy when you talk with a smile - and rolling eyes (and hand gestures) are almost universally silent.

Great point: it's tough to sound grumpy when you talk with a smile - and rolling eyes (and hand gestures) are almost universally silent.

I use this every damn day at work, although I do have to be careful with the hands and eyes if I'm standing out at the Front Desk taking the call ;)

I had a Revenue Director who was very hard-nosed when it came to cancellations. If someone called in and gave the old sob story of "my flight was cancelled" - she would make me get the airline and flight number from the person and look it up myself to verify it was indeed cancelled. If someone called with the "medical emergency", she would have us say we could reschedule the stay ONCE as a courtesy, but not refund. Unfortunately, the rescheduling trick wouldn't translate well to a cruise ship, I would think.