Never again

I'll stay on land

Actually the TSA size limit is 3.4 oz. but syrup, no matter the size, will not make it through security in a carryon.

Already resolved as that person mistakenly thought I was flying to the port.

I am not.

Thus I have zero TSA concerns and NCL imposes no such restriction.

My experience with the major cruise lines is they lowball the fare and make up for it by charging exorbitant amounts for every little thing. (Listen to the song "Taxman" by the Beatles and you will get the idea).

Our experience with NCL's food and service matches the OP's, so we now avoid them at all costs (pun intended).

The OP may want to try an all-inclusive cruise line like Regent. You pay more up front, but the end price is about the same and you don't have to get your blood pressure up about every expense.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Already resolved as that person mistakenly thought I was flying to the port.

I am not.

Thus I have zero TSA concerns and NCL imposes no such restriction.

Be ready for airport like security every time you board your ship. Much more relaxed, but still hats off and items through the scanner.

We are soon to be embarking on our 19th cruise in just over 10 years ... we have learnt and evolved since our first cruises, and now we know what to do, what to avoid, what are involved, what are not involved, and so on, and still have great relaxing time!

We rarely complain .. we learn and move on! If there is something amiss, we speak to the first person involved, instead of running to guest services. One example: bathroom flooded one morning when we got up, we mentioned it to our room steward when we headed out to breakfast. One light bulb burned out ... we left a post-it note to room steward about it.

I very rarely have any charges on my count other than gratuities. I don't find it difficult at all , to avoid charges.

This op seemed to be unprepared. It could be cruising is not for them, but, even land touring can run into big expenses, which may seem less because it's spread out. But in my opinion, using the discount rack, which I frequently do, not much beats the value of meals lodging and transportation all in one, can't be beat for me.

I just don't get these threads. It's a cruise, not an all inclusive. You'd pay thousands more for an all inclusive. Yes, there are upsells. But you're not required to purchase anything and there's plenty of fun and good food to be had if you don't purchase anything extra.

OP obviously did not do any research before cruising. If I wanted to go to Alaska, there is no way I would allow someone to talk me into going on a different cruise - especially when the trip to Bermuda is usually a bit rocky - even in the best of conditions. If they found this board to complain, they could have found it before the cruise and educated themselves a bit about the cruise they were to embark on!

This was our first cruise. My wife and I heard so many great things about cruising. What a disappointment. We were interested in taking a cruise to Alaska so we called Norwegian Cruise Lines. The girl who helped us was very nice. We told her it would be our first cruise. She suggested we try a cruise to Bermuda first' date=' so we could make sure we wouldn’t get sea sick for the whole cruise. This made sense so we booked this cruise first. We were very excited and a few weeks before leaving we were given an opportunity to bid for the next bigger room and got it. We had our specialty dining picked out and the ultimate drink plan. We were set. We were told to bring a bathing suit in our carry on so we could sit by the pool and have a drink while they brought our bags to our room. I was surprised to find out I had to pay tax on my drinks while we were in the harbor, but that was okay. My wife and her friend were attacked by the spa people and signed up for a $500 Spa package to get 3 salt scrubs and use of the facilities for the week. Her friend paid for it as a gift to her. The next morning they went to the orientation, my wife has a heart condition and cannot use the steam or sauna rooms. They gave her 3 small jars of salt scrub, she asked what that was for and they told her that was the 3 salt scrubs. She goes into the shower and scrubs her own body then she can go in the private pools. She was not comfortable with any of this so she asked if she could use the money for other things like a facial and message, they told her no. In an effort to shorten this story, it was 2 days later and 3 people higher before they were able to get their money back. I am a bourbon drinker and I saw about 5 different kinds of bourbon that I like, imagine my disappointment when I found out I can only drink the bullet brand because my ultimate drink package didn’t include the others. It should not be called “ultimate”. We went to the buffet for breakfast the next day at around 8:30 am. The only thing that was hot was the eggs I asked them to cook for me. The pancakes, French toast, bacon, etc. were all cold. The next day we went to Savor and then Taste, but it wasn’t much better. First, after we were seated we had to wait 23 minutes until someone came over to ask if we wanted any coffee. I ordered eggs and toast, after waiting a half an hour they brought the food, the eggs were cold and I got 2 pieces of white bread, they forgot to toast them. I asked for grape jelly to put on the bread and was told you were all out. The menu’s at Savor and Taste were the same every day. I was told that the ship gets its deliveries from Miami and because of Hurricane Irma they were not able to refill the ship. Sometimes at night I like to eat something light, the only thing open was O’Sheehan’s Pub with pub type food. The food from room service was free but you charges $7.95 to deliver it. I had an espresso after dinner, the Sambuca to put in it was free but the coffee cost $2.50. I wanted to see the ice bar, sure for $20.00. In the daily paper I saw martini tasting of course $19.95, I could have ordered and tasted full size martinis for free. We paid $89.00 for the shore excursion to the beach, but we had to go and return at a certain time. I could have caught a taxi for $7.00 per person or $28.00 round trip for me and my wife and went any time I wanted for as long as I wanted. My wife played Bingo, $50.00 for three games. There were over 200 people playing, that’s $10,000 collected, 1st game paid $300, 2nd game paid $500, and the 3rd game paid $2000 times twice a day for 7 days. Did they really need the $2.50 for my espresso that bad? Play “Deal or No Deal” sure for $25.00 a card. The whole trip I felt like they were trying to squeeze money out of me for everything. To top it all off they cut my time at Bermuda short, I understand to beat the hurricane and for our safety but to think that time is only worth $25.00 is an insult. I work hard for my money and probably will never get to Bermuda again so to me it is worth a lot more.

There were some things that I did think were great. The specialty restaurants were delicious and the service was spectacular. There were a few employees that I felt went above and beyond to try and make our trip special.

I’m sorry this letter is so long but I have worked with the public my whole life and I know it is not the person who yells and screams that hurts your business; it is the person who quietly walks away and tells their friends of their experience and never comes back. I'll never go back and I'm telling everyone I know. To top it all off I wrote them a letter to tell them how I felt and didn't even get a response.[/quote']

ok, yes it is a long letter and way to negative to expect an answer from NCL or anyone else for that matter. Some of what you say I can understand, some not.

SPA; no you wife and her friend were not pushed in anyway to buy a spa package. They did this on their own. As for the problems your wife had with the spa management, I sypathize. I am not happy with the way spas are run on any ship. To me they are a rip off: just my opinion. remeber they are contracted and have little to do with the actual cruiseline.

Cold food in the buffet: This is one reason hubby hates to go to the buffet. I have never gottern warn food at any buffet anywhere unless I am one of the first in line when a new tray comes out. I understand your disappointment. As for the dining room and breakfast, I agree with you 100%. Service is pretty slow.

Most of your other complaints are minor at best or how you see them, others would disagree. The tax on drinks is required while you are still in the USA, not the fault of NCL. you pay them when you go to a local bar don't you?

I am sorry you had such a lousy vacation. Maybe you are right cruising isn't for you. I do not understand the sales rep telling you to try a Bermuda cruise first. This is the reason it is almost always better to use a travel agent when you are preparing for a first time vacation experience. but it is too late for that now.

The original poster sounds like a salesman’s dream customer.

OP: I’d like to purchase a cabin on a cruise to Alaska.

NCL: No you’ll be better off going to Bermuda first.

OP: OK.

NCL: You should buy the Spa Package, it’s only $500.

NCL: Even though you have the UBP you should try the Martini Tasting for $19.95.

NCL: Bingo is fun. You can play three games for $50.

OP: OK

NCL: Deal or No Deal is fun. You can play for $25 a card.

NCL: As mentioned in your Freestyle Daily, room service only costs $7.95. You should try it.

I think the OP and his wife need to learn how to say NO.

My experience with the major cruise lines is they lowball the fare and make up for it by charging exorbitant amounts for every little thing. (Listen to the song "Taxman" by the Beatles and you will get the idea).

Our experience with NCL's food and service matches the OP's, so we now avoid them at all costs (pun intended).

The OP may want to try an all-inclusive cruise line like Regent. You pay more up front, but the end price is about the same and you don't have to get your blood pressure up about every expense.

I realize, it is a matter of opinion, but no matter how you try to justify it, cruising on a luxury liner like Regent is going to cost more than a mass marketed line. yes, the experience is more rewarding to many but the average person isn't in the market for upscale. The secret is learning to plan ahead and know the product you are buying. I won't get into the food issue, but food is subjetive at best. I always wonder when people mention how bad the food was, how many if ever and when they sailed a particular line.

So sorry your trip was disappointing. You did mention some good things too. I would focus on that and try Alaska. You did come away with some valuable lessons and won't get sucked into the spa AND all the other non necessary items. If you play your cards right it will be less costly than a week on land.

Sign up for a rewards card and save points to reduce the cost even more. If you are disciplined with paying off your CC at the end of the month you can rake them up fast. Use the card for everyday purchases ie: gas, groceries and even some of your monthly utilities.

How do I sign up for a cruise card? And what is it?

The spas are a rip off that was the 1st mistake.

I LOVE the hot stone massages and learned after my first cruise to just say "no thank you" and give a tip worked fine in not getting sucked into buying stuff I don't need or want. I know how much one is going to cost and know that since I'm on vacation, I'm going to splurge on that. I've had them on land and they just aren't the same.

NCL: Even though you have the UBP you should try the Martini Tasting for $19.95.

NCL: As mentioned in your Freestyle Daily, room service only costs $7.95. You should try it.

I don't know how they missed the art auctions. :evilsmile:

NCL: You can have this magnificent painting worth $20,000, but it can be yours today for only $10,000.

;p

This post is all over the place. Some valid complaints, but a lot that make 0 sense. Cruising to Bermuda because the seas are less rough than Alaska is bizarre and takes the cake though.

There’s a lot of belly aching on here about the drink package. You pay a whopping $100 for the perk and if you want a higher quality of liquor you pay a couple bucks. It is still far superior to what I’d pay for drinking on other boats like Royal or Carnival. People need to try to have some perspective on that item.

The spa? Avoid them like the plague, land or sea they are all about the upsell.

Bingo and deal or no deal on NCL is a scam. You go because it’s fun, the odds are the only thing worse than the slots on the boat.

The food? Yeah, you eat out 21x in a week you won’t love them all.

I think you had a couple bad experiences, but it seems like you’ve made a mountain of a couple items.

The biggest lesson here is don’t take cruise itinerary advice from a PCC that’s maybe been on a cruise on the Sky or something only. They seem to know less than most cruisers do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just don't get these threads. It's a cruise, not an all inclusive. You'd pay thousands more for an all inclusive. Yes, there are upsells. But you're not required to purchase anything and there's plenty of fun and good food to be had if you don't purchase anything extra.

I don't get them either. these are mistakes that you made. no one forced you to start shelling out money.

I am a millennial, but I think personal responsibility/accountability is important.

:'):'):'):'):')

↑ Avoided how?

We're taking our first cruise in a few weeks. I love pancakes but not cold. I also like REAL maple syrup, not the high fructose corn syrup crap many places like to pass off as maple when maple isn't even an ingredient, never mind the only ingredient.

Not to derail the thread but can I bring my own maple if the ships don't have it?

I love cruising and have cruised on many lines over 30 times, I can assure you, the pancakes on all the ships I have tried, Princess, NCL, Royal Caribbean, Celebrity are rubbish and the syrup is also awful. Pancakes are my weakness, I love them, but although I try them on the first breakfast of every cruise, they are always awful and never do I get another.

So please should you want pancakes, take your own syrup, at least that will be nice

We head out on number 20 next month and so far we're pretty darn happy with it all. But, I can sure understand that not everyone will like cruising. Good news, tried one, didn't like it, can now concentrate on other fun vacation opportunities.

I'll Stay On Land, OP, thanks for your review. We have been on a number of cruises and our upcoming is our first on NCL and I thank you for your experiences.

What you experienced will be something we can be aware of if encountered. I was especially surprised to hear that you need to pay $7.95 for room service. I am also disappointing in the "Ultimate" drink package that excludes as much as it includes (maybe even excludes more?).

It is unfortunate that your experiences were not good but don't let that stop you from trying another cruise. Perhaps try another cruise line. We are partial to Celebrity and Oceania but they also charge extra for some things.

First time out and you were not aware and caught off guard but understand, even all inclusive resorts are really not "all inclusive" either. We are going on a river cruise next year and understand that that is the only real "put your wallet away" type of cruise.