Princes Cruises - New rip off for drinks package.

CavaGirl

I thought it was only the ‘gun’ sodas that were included in the package? What happens if you want an item such as a tonic water that isn’t on a gun dispenser?

That I don't know since I don't drink sodas but I'm sure someone with first hand knowledge will weigh in on your question!

I thought it was only the ‘gun’ sodas that were included in the package? What happens if you want an item such as a tonic water that isn’t on a gun dispenser?

Any of the canned sodas they will crack a can and pour you a glass, just like for the Soda and More. And yes - this is the policy, although not all bartenders know/follow it

I enjoyed many a glass of root beer using my PBP on my last two sailings - they simply pour out of a can. By the pool, they'll give you a big glass and pour the whole can if you like, or set your can aside so you can get a top up as needed.

Why Princess changed it to no cans is beyond me, but it is what it is.. You can still get the canned soda - just not in the can! Lol.

Any of the canned sodas they will crack a can and pour you a glass, just like for the Soda and More. And yes - this is the policy, although not all bartenders know/follow it

I enjoyed many a glass of root beer using my PBP on my last two sailings - they simply pour out of a can. By the pool, they'll give you a big glass and pour the whole can if you like, or set your can aside so you can get a top up as needed.

Why Princess changed it to no cans is beyond me, but it is what it is.. You can still get the canned soda - just not in the can! Lol.

Thanks for the information, it’s sounds just the same as Celebrity; they have changed their policy (well, at least while the ships are in the Med) to pouring it out of the can and into the glass.

Hi, wondering if anyone can answer a few quesrtions I have about this promotion,

1. I want to buy my grandmother a margarita. How can I do that? Can i still buy drinks for others without it affecting my quota or worse, accusing me of sharing my drinks?

2. I would rather pay for drinks when its 2 for 1 specials. Can i do that without it deducting from my 15 drink linit.

3. It says one drink per person...but martinis are usually considered as 2 shots. So will they deduct two drinks,per martini?

3. What happens if I want a drink that costs 15.00, which is passed the 12.00 limit.

Any answer is appreciated.:D

All of this information is readily available in threads that aren't really old. I have to wonder why one would revive such an old thread for this info.

You can pay for drinks for anybody. It doesn't affect your quota.

There is no BOGO anymore so question 2 is moot.

A mixed drink is a mixed drink. It doesn't matter what goes into the drink. If the drink fits within the price limits it is included.

If you want a drink that costs more than the package limit you pay for it. Full price.

All of this information is readily available in threads that aren't really old. I have to wonder why one would revive such an old thread for this info.

You can pay for drinks for anybody. It doesn't affect your quota.

There is no BOGO anymore so question 2 is moot.

A mixed drink is a mixed drink. It doesn't matter what goes into the drink. If the drink fits within the price limits it is included.

If you want a drink that costs more than the package limit you pay for it. Full price.

Don't you just pay for the difference between pkg. limit and actual drink price?

Don't you just pay for the difference between pkg. limit and actual drink price?

No, Princess has never allowed you to just pay the difference either on the old AIBP or current PBP.

Excerpt from the T&C:

• Alcoholic drinks are limited to 15 beverages per 24-hour period (6 a.m. to 6 a.m.). Alcoholic drinks requested above the daily limits are at the discretion of the shipboard management and crew and charged at regular menu prices.
  • Non-alcoholic drinks do NOT have this limitation nor do they count toward this maximum.
  • Only one beverage is allowed per passenger per order (alcoholic or non-alcoholic).
  • Items selected that exceed the $12.00 USD or $16 .00 AUD price are charged at full menu price.
  • Packages may NOT be shared, are NON-transferable and NON-refundable.

No, Princess has never allowed you to just pay the difference either on the old AIBP or current PBP.

Excerpt from the T&C:

• Alcoholic drinks are limited to 15 beverages per 24-hour period (6 a.m. to 6 a.m.). Alcoholic drinks requested above the daily limits are at the discretion of the shipboard management and crew and charged at regular menu prices.
  • Non-alcoholic drinks do NOT have this limitation nor do they count toward this maximum.
  • Only one beverage is allowed per passenger per order (alcoholic or non-alcoholic).
  • Items selected that exceed the $12.00 USD or $16 .00 AUD price are charged at full menu price.
  • Packages may NOT be shared, are NON-transferable and NON-refundable.

WOW ... another strike against Princess' drink pkg. I'm sailing first time on Princess this October. So ... all of this is good to know.

I'm bringing 2 bottles of wine with me (I know, 1 will be $15 corkage fee), and that should be good for the week.

WOW ... another strike against Princess' drink pkg. I'm sailing first time on Princess this October. So ... all of this is good to know.

I'm bringing 2 bottles of wine with me (I know, 1 will be $15 corkage fee), and that should be good for the week.

It's pretty hard to find a drink that exceeds the limit set for the beverage package. There are maybe 2 or 3 drinks that aren't included. Of course if you sail on Emerald or another ship with the Whiskey Adventure there are quite a few higher end whiskeys that aren't included but that's not the norm for Princess. It's not like some other lines where drinks made with good liquor are more expensive. I tend to drink single malt scotch, Tanqueray and Tonic, or Chairman of the Board martinis. All are well below the price limit. For Princess ships without the Whiskey Adventure (which is only on a few ships and only in a single bar on those ships) I think there are really only two liquors - Remy Martin XO @ $19 and Chivas Royal Salute @ $12.50 - that aren't included in the package. I think there are only 5 wines not included. Don't worry about the price limit.

It's pretty hard to find a drink that exceeds the limit set for the beverage package. There are maybe 2 or 3 drinks that aren't included. Of course if you sail on Emerald or another ship with the Whiskey Adventure there are quite a few higher end whiskeys that aren't included but that's not the norm for Princess. It's not like some other lines where drinks made with good liquor are more expensive. I tend to drink single malt scotch, Tanqueray and Tonic, or Chairman of the Board martinis. All are well below the price limit. For Princess ships without the Whiskey Adventure (which is only on a few ships and only in a single bar on those ships) I think there are really only two liquors - Remy Martin XO @ $19 and Chivas Royal Salute @ $12.50 - that aren't included in the package. I think there are only 5 wines not included. Don't worry about the price limit.

Being able to have a glass of wine in my cabin, I will only have 1 or 2 drinks ... tops ... from a bar. So I won't buy the drink pkg. Cruising solo ... I keep a tight lid on the imbibing.

If I drank 15 alcohol drinks in a day I would be in hospital for the cruise. Many health organizations recommend no more than 15 drinks in a week for men and 10 drinks per week for women. Also it is recommended than women drink no more than 3 drinks on one occasion and 4 drinks for men.

http://www.heretohelp.bc.ca/factsheet/drinking-guidelines-supporting-health-and-life

If I drank 15 alcohol drinks in a day I would be in hospital for the cruise. Many health organizations recommend no more than 15 drinks in a week for men and 10 drinks per week for women. Also it is recommended than women drink no more than 3 drinks on one occasion and 4 drinks for men.

http://www.heretohelp.bc.ca/factsheet/drinking-guidelines-supporting-health-and-life

Princess does not expect many people to actually consume 15 alcohol drinks a day. The limit was put in to prevent sharing abuse.

Princess (and other cruise lines) make a significant part of their profit from (a) beverage packages, (b) Internet packages and © specialty restaurants.

When Princess sells you a drink package, it is with the expectation that the value of what you consume will be significantly less than what you pay for the package.

When the drink package is included as a perk, it is really included as an alternative to just having a lower (sale) price for the cruise without such a package. The real value to the consumer from an included beverage package can be seen in the alternative of how much OBC they will give if you do not want the beverage package.

68.99 plus 15% gratuity is 79.34. 79.34 divided by 15 is 5.29 per drink. Add in the soda, water and others, still seems like a screaming good deal to me.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Not for beer drinkers

$5.29 for a beer is not a great deal. If you get a bucket of beer you get a small discount making your beers 5.06ea

woohoo save .23 cents. In order to do that I have to drink all 15. If I don't I'm actually paying more than I would without the package.

You still can share.

Just be discreet & you'll be fine. ;)

Since they're capping it at 15 drinks per day they should just issue punch cards like the coffee card & officially allow sharing.

Which is what MSC does...not punch cards actually but little books of vouchers for alcohol, coffee, water, etc.

That way you buy just what you want and you don't have to purchase a great big package that you know you will never get the use of.

So someone who has 15 drinks in a day while on vacation is automatically an alcoholic?

Myopic much? Just sayin ...

If you have 15 alcoholic drinks a day, every day, for the duration of the cruise, be it 7 days, 10 days, 25 days, etc....you MAY have a problem....or the people sailing with you will.

Not myopic...just a observation.

• 1 month later...

What a bunch of boring people. 15 drinks per day? Easy.

2 bloody Mary’s for brekkie.

2 amaretto sours mid morning.

1 pre luncheon g&t

1 bottle of wine with lunch (4 glasses?)

3 afternoon beers

2 pre dinner cocktails

1 bottle of red with dinner (4 glasses)

1 large cognac

4 g&t’s after dinner.

24 drinks minimum.

It’s my holiday. I detest drunken behaviour but IT’S MY HOLIDAY!

Cheers xxx

Edited by swjumbo
bad grammar

What a bunch of boring people. 15 drinks per day? Easy.

2 bloody Mary’s for brekkie.

2 amaretto sours mid morning.

1 pre luncheon g&t

1 bottle of wine with lunch (4 glasses?)

3 afternoon beers

2 pre dinner cocktails

1 bottle of red with dinner (4 glasses)

1 large cognac

4 g&t’s after dinner.

24 drinks minimum.

It’s my holiday. I detest drunken behaviour but IT’S MY HOLIDAY!

Cheers xxx

No body said it couldn't be done, but maybe shouldn't be done...at least not EVERY day of YOUR HOLIDAY!

You think you've got it bad. For us Canadians it's $86.24 per person per day. And not much cheaper to pay as you go because we have to add on close to 35% for the exchange rate. We are thinking about buying a couple of wine packages and drinking mocktails instead. I understand some people cheat but the idea of running around from bar to bar to get drinks doesn't sound like a fun holiday to me.

You think you've got it bad. For us Canadians it's $86.24 per person per day. And not much cheaper to pay as you go because we have to add on close to 35% for the exchange rate. We are thinking about buying a couple of wine packages and drinking mocktails instead. I understand some people cheat but the idea of running around from bar to bar to get drinks doesn't sound like a fun holiday to me.

I thought that $86.24 was the Canadian $$ price. And if you are charging this to your Canadian credit card there would not be any exchange rate involved. If the charge is to Princess USA, then the Canadian bank might add a foreign transaction fee, but that would be 3% or less.

I thought that $86.24 was the Canadian $$ price. And if you are charging this to your Canadian credit card there would not be any exchange rate involved. If the charge is to Princess USA, then the Canadian bank might add a foreign transaction fee, but that would be 3% or less.

Yes $86.24 is the Canadian Price but if you pay as you go, you will pay the US price plus 15% plus the Exchange rate plus the credit card fee to convert it to CAD.

No body said it couldn't be done, but maybe shouldn't be done...at least not EVERY day of YOUR HOLIDAY!

That's the thing about it. I might have one big day on a cruise and consume my 15 limit one time. Not likely to happen twice in a week and for sure not every day.

I kept track on our last cruise (Before the price increase) and between Sabatinis breakfast, BOGO, PES deals, bucket of beer, $2 beer ashore and so on we consumed our fair share and still came out way ahead of the package with pay as you go.

With BOGO gone it makes the PBP more likely but then they went ahead and raised the price. For me only if it's included and I will keep track either way.

• 1 month later...

Had the bev pkg on NCL (in which you pay the 15% on the “free” perk) and found the convenience alone was worth it plus I could try new drinks and if it tasted like turpentine I could leave it and not feel I had to choke it down as I paid for it. I have it on my next Princess cruise as a perk for balcony. I worked out the difference as my pay as I go, coffee card water package and the soda and more which meant my balcony was $100 more than my oceanview without the perks. Got free grats too. Bonus.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums