What to do if we do miss the sailing?

GE Mom

The following is from HAL's "Know before you go" booklet. You have access to the full booklet on line https://www.hollandamerica.com/assets/cruise-vacation-onboard/KBYG.pdf

There is a dedicated HAL phone number for day of departure emergencies (bolded below).

Good luck to you!

Richard

AIRLINE DELAYS From time to time guests encounter transportation delays in getting to their cruise ship. If it is your day of sailing and this happens to you, please follow these guidelines:• Advise your airline at the earliest opportunity that you are a cruise guest destined for a sailing that day. Working directly with the carrier is important, as the airlines are usually able to arrange alternative flights.• If you believe a delay will cause you to arrive in the port of embarkation less than two hours before the ship’s scheduled departure or if you are concerned for any reason that the ship may leave before you arrive, our representatives may be able to advise you of arrangements to minimize disruptions in your vacation plans.Ask the airline to immediately advise our Travel Services Department, or call us yourself at 1-800-628-4771 or 1-206-286-3294. Representatives are available 24 hours a day,7 days a week and 365 days a year. These numbers are provided for emergency use only; please do not call unless it is your day of departure and you are experiencing a delay. All other questions and concerns regarding air arrangements should be directed to your travel agent. For further information on our relationship with airlines, please refer to your Cruise Contract.If you have purchased air transportation independently from Holland America Line, you will be responsible for any and all expenses incurred when joining the ship in progress.

TSA has nothing to do with cruise ships
True. I was tripped up by baggal's post that I was replying to, but what I said was technically still correct: " I don't think TSA has any time limits to be on board."

We land in FLL on November 11th at 10:45 AM and have arranged with HAL for airport pickup and transport to the port with a 4:00 PM depart on the NA.
And MIA is 45 minutes further away! :)

True. I was tripped up by baggal's post that I was replying to, but what I said was technically still correct: " I don't think TSA has any time limits to be on board."

And MIA is 45 minutes further away! :)

Sorry, I don't know where i got the idea they were flying into Miami rather than FLL. Yes, Miami is considerably further and that is why I suggested car and driver We have used Miami everal times through the years.

For good reasons, we are scheduled to land in Miami at noon before our Zuiderdam sailing at 4:00. (We normally go in the day before, and we do have trip insurance.) If all goes well, we'll make the ship. But I was wondering what to do if we get delayed? Has this ever happened to fellow posters? The first stop is Half Moon Cay, then Aruba.

Hmm..... this must be where I got the notion they are flying into Miami :)

Side comment:

Very often we read that someone has a "good reason" to fly in shortly before boarding time on embarkation day, or that "flying in the day before is not an option"

Just as the quality of MDR food on particular ships/lines is referred to as "subjective" or "a matter of personal taste", a reason being "good" or an "option" is similarly a personal decision - and is often best ignored if you want to give helpful advice to someone insisting upon receiving comfort for having made a questionable decision.

Sometimes the best advice is harsh: like "Perhaps you should rethink your risky plan".

For good reasons, we are scheduled to land in Miami at noon before our Zuiderdam sailing at 4:00. (We normally go in the day before, and we do have trip insurance.) If all goes well, we'll make the ship. But I was wondering what to do if we get delayed? Has this ever happened to fellow posters? The first stop is Half Moon Cay, then Aruba.

If it sails at 4 PM, you have to be on board 90 minutes before sail away. That means 2:30 PM. Considering all the possible delays that you could have, I would say that there is a really good chance that you are toast. Also, you better read your trio insurance policy. I doubt that it covers people doing what you are trying to do.

It is obviously none of my business but your "good reasons" must be really really really good.

DON

I get the impression that you are flying into MIA towards the end of February. That time of year is notorious for large snow storms. Even if you are flying from a city that is not prone to snow storms, storms elsewhere do impact air travel through out the USA. And, if the snow storm is really bad, it may impact air travel for several days. I would book another flight the day before into FLL.

I get the impression that you are flying into MIA towards the end of February. That time of year is notorious for large snow storms. Even if you are flying from a city that is not prone to snow storms, storms elsewhere do impact air travel through out the USA. And, if the snow storm is really bad, it may impact air travel for several days. I would book another flight the day before into FLL.

Good points.

GE Mom,,,,,,, from what city will you be flying to Florida?

If it sails at 4 PM, you have to be on board 90 minutes before sail away.
That's a common misconception. If you have completed the Online Check-In the deadline is the start of the muster drill, which will be about 3:15 for a 4:00 sailing.

Know Before You Go says:

U.S. government security regulations require us to submit

certain guest information to law enforcement authorities

at least 60 minutes prior to departure. To meet this

requirement, we must have the necessary information in our

records at least 90 minutes prior to departure. If we do not

have your information by this deadline, you will be unable

to sail. Guests are urged to complete the Online Check-in

process before leaving home. Guests who wait to check in at

the terminal risk being unable to sail even if they arrive at

the terminal before the vessel leaves. You will be responsible

for all costs you incur to join the vessel at the next port.

That's a common misconception. If you have completed the Online Check-In the deadline is the start of the muster drill, which will be about 3:15 for a 4:00 sailing.

Unless HAL is different from other lines I've sailed, the above is also not a "deadline". I've been on any number of ships where a second, later muster drill is provided for late-arriving passengers -- depending on departure time this may be either before or after dinner on the first evening.

It's very doubtful that you would be denied boarding simply due to having missed the muster drill.... (Although if HAL is truly different, please correct me.)

Unless HAL is different from other lines I've sailed, the above is also not a "deadline". I've been on any number of ships where a second, later muster drill is provided for late-arriving passengers -- depending on departure time this may be either before or after dinner on the first evening.

It's very doubtful that you would be denied boarding simply due to having missed the muster drill.... (Although if HAL is truly different, please correct me.)

Yes, HAL has been known to give make-up drills to people who arrive moments before they pull the gangway. In fact when I watch the portevergladeswebcam it seems to happen fairly often! However, if you are on-board and refuse to attend the drill, they WILL put you off! :D Edited by catl331

Side comment:

Very often we read that someone has a "good reason" to fly in shortly before boarding time on embarkation day, or that "flying in the day before is not an option"

Just as the quality of MDR food on particular ships/lines is referred to as "subjective" or "a matter of personal taste", a reason being "good" or an "option" is similarly a personal decision - and is often best ignored if you want to give helpful advice to someone insisting upon receiving comfort for having made a questionable decision.

Sometimes the best advice is harsh: like "Perhaps you should rethink your risky plan".

So true! We once were in a similar situation leaving Venice and I asked here and got excellent advice. We ended up paying the airline change fee but it was totally worth it for peace of mind. And as it turned out we made it and others didn’t! I have seen too many panicked people who don’t allow enough time. Too much unnecessary stress IMO.

You should consider sending your luggage to the ship in Miami ahead of time by Fed-Ex or Luggage Forward for example. Those pieces will not be loaded on the ship until you check-in; however, you won't need to wait at the airport carousel.

David

It almost happened to us . We were on a cruise on the Zuiderdam leaving Sunday at 4PM .We planned to arrive in Fla Saturday at 11AM ,However,it was snowing in NY and our plane was delayed 12 hours .By the time we landed we sound out that we missed the last shuttle to our hotel. We called and they agreed to send someone to get us. We arrived at the hotel 2AM .

Thanks for the thoughts.

We booked this cruise through Costco Travel, and I actually thought we were purchasing the cruiseline travel. And we're aware that generally the cruiselines bring you in the same day, so I didn't think much of it. It was only after the booking was complete that I reviewed the schedule and realized we'd actually purchased independent travel. That's when I got concerned.

And, yes, this is out of Chicago O'Hare in late February. Although snow is not unlikely at this time, our really big storms that close the airport are generally earlier in the winter.

So I think our choices are: cross our fingers and hope for the best, or pay the change fee and come in the day before. I am hoping to hear from someone who has actually faced this problem, and can share what happened.

So I think our choices are: cross our fingers and hope for the best, or pay the change fee and come in the day before.
I know I would pay the change fee and come in the day before. Surely the change fee plus a FL hotel room will be much less than airfare to Aruba plus 3 hotel nights until the ship gets to Aruba. Plus the loss of three days on the ship.

I am hoping to hear from someone who has actually faced this problem, and can share what happened.
Just because someone else may tell you it worked out for them doesn't really mean much.

Thanks for the thoughts.

We booked this cruise through Costco Travel, and I actually thought we were purchasing the cruiseline travel. And we're aware that generally the cruiselines bring you in the same day, so I didn't think much of it. It was only after the booking was complete that I reviewed the schedule and realized we'd actually purchased independent travel. That's when I got concerned.

And, yes, this is out of Chicago O'Hare in late February. Although snow is not unlikely at this time, our really big storms that close the airport are generally earlier in the winter.

So I think our choices are: cross our fingers and hope for the best, or pay the change fee and come in the day before. I am hoping to hear from someone who has actually faced this problem, and can share what happened.

Wow, flying in the day and in winter? You are braver than I.

Yes, back in 1988? I flew in on the day of the sailing. Thankfully there were a bunch of us on the plane that were going and the ship waited (don't count on that ;) )I was panicked the whole time between late this and late that and I will NEVER do it again. My choice back then as I thought that was how it went. Ships don't wait often, but there were enough of us back in those days (I'm talking 30 years) that they did.

I would be more concerned about snow storms than other issues. And if it were me, subject to lots of storms and IF I were going at that time, I'd plan on at least two days out. One storm can muck a lot of things up and it takes time to get a replacement flight.

It's a weird year with all that is going on. Don't count on the past and remember that nature does strange things. JMO though ;)

Thanks for the thoughts.

I took a cruise this spring. I ran into an usually large amount of people that missed the first couple days of the cruise. They had all booked Hal flights and flew in the same day so Hal took care of them. They joined us in the first port. Everyone I talked with was not that far (flight wise) from Fort Lauderdale, iirc and they were delayed by snow. If possible I would change to the day before.