Princess Transfers

MKKruiser

I want to get a Princess transfer from the airport to the ship on an upcoming trip. But I plan on coming a day early. My plan was to stay by the airport the night before and go back to the airport to get the transfer. I had a travel agent tell me that may not be possible to do. I can't imagine why but thought I would ask here. I thank you in advance for your response.

Edited by MKKruiser
typo

You can do what you are considering. Princess will "nag" you for your flight number but will sell you a Transfer without one. I have done it out of SeaTac because we live here and I just wanted the Princess Transfer up to Vancouver BC.

The bigger question is "why would you want to go back to the airport just to take a Princess Transfer to the port? Why not just take a cab from your hotel to the port?"

An alternative we used at FLL one time was to fly in a day early and book our hotel through Princess. That way we got a Princess Transfer from airport to hotel and from hotel to ship the next day.

You can do what you are considering. Princess will "nag" you for your flight number but will sell you a Transfer without one. I have done it out of SeaTac because we live here and I just wanted the Princess Transfer up to Vancouver BC.

The bigger question is "why would you want to go back to the airport just to take a Princess Transfer to the port? Why not just take a cab from your hotel to the port?"

An alternative we used at FLL one time was to fly in a day early and book our hotel through Princess. That way we got a Princess Transfer from airport to hotel and from hotel to ship the next day.

I like that idea on how to get to Vancouver, BC from SeaTac. I hadn't thought of that route. Thanks for the tip!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Forums mobile app

I am flying into London not sure yet if Heathrow or Gatwick and transfer is to Southampton. Private transfer is very costly and would prefer not to have to do a train or shuttle bus. I would feel more comfortable with a Princess transfer.

Thanks for the responses!

I am flying into London not sure yet if Heathrow or Gatwick and transfer is to Southampton. Private transfer is very costly and would prefer not to have to do a train or shuttle bus. I would feel more comfortable with a Princess transfer.

We've done that before from Newark to Red Hook before. The Princess transfers were actually the cheaper way to go in our case. So, we just picked a flight that was to land about the same time we wanted to catch the transfer and enter it into our planner. They might be able to just sign you up right there at the airport but if you are more comfortable getting them ahead of time, as I was, just pick a flight with a 10 AM landing time and they will be near the luggage carousel to greet you and check your name off the list.

Princess has transfers at Heathrow Airport and Victoria Station in Central London. You just have to go either whichever is near your hotel. The appointed time can be found on your Personalizer after booking.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Check out the Britain board here on Cruise Critic. We took the Princess transfer back to Heathrow after our cruise because it was much easier than trying to arrange our own transportation for an early afternoon flight the same day. But we took the train from Paddington Station to Southampton the day before our cruise started. It was very easy to do, even with having to change trains in Reading. We spent three nights in London before our cruise and one in Southampton. I wish we had more time in London. Three days was not long enough.

Cruise Raider....I am taking the Regal Princess out of Red Hook next november...I booked the trip and bought the transfer from Princess...I questioned about Flight as i have no Flt #, but she told me she will put in my name, without no Flt # being as i am from the NY area....my question to you is, when you went to baggage claim, did you have a problem getting in the doors from baggage claim? I will get down there by 10am... i am taking a taxi from my home to JFK...was told to meet at Jet Blue in Baggage Claim Area...and that buses start leaving at 12 noon...

I would compare the price per person of the Princess Transfer to a private transfer. In 2016 we used Smiths for Airports. They met us at the airport right at the Customs exit, and drove us directly to our hotel in Southampton. The cost was right around GBP85 for the two of us. The Princess transfer at that time was US$54/pp or US$108 for the two of us. The two services are right around the same price for two people. The private transfer is much easier and WAY more comfortable and convenient.

We flew into Heathrow last June for the British Isles cruise out of Southampton. Spent the night by the airport at a Premier Inn hotel. Took the HOPPA bus from the airport to the hotel - drop off was at the hotel door. The next day we took the HOPPA bus back to the airport for our Princess transfer. Very easy process and no stress. Bought our wine at a small convenience store only a short walk from the hotel.

Cruise Raider....I am taking the Regal Princess out of Red Hook next november...I booked the trip and bought the transfer from Princess...I questioned about Flight as i have no Flt #, but she told me she will put in my name, without no Flt # being as i am from the NY area....my question to you is, when you went to baggage claim, did you have a problem getting in the doors from baggage claim? I will get down there by 10am... i am taking a taxi from my home to JFK...was told to meet at Jet Blue in Baggage Claim Area...and that buses start leaving at 12 noon...

It is not a problem to go to the baggage claim area from the outside to meet the Princess rep for the transfer.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We flew into Heathrow last June for the British Isles cruise out of Southampton. Spent the night by the airport at a Premier Inn hotel. Took the HOPPA bus from the airport to the hotel - drop off was at the hotel door. The next day we took the HOPPA bus back to the airport for our Princess transfer. Very easy process and no stress. Bought our wine at a small convenience store only a short walk from the hotel.

We did this same thing to a different hotel near Heathrow a few years ago. Absolutely agree. Easy and no stress. We didn't need to provide a flight number. I recommend it too. :cool:

This makes me feel so much better. Its basically what we are doing, with a twist..flying into Gatwick a day early then flying out of Heathrow after the cruise staying both times in the Premier Inns. We were told we may not be able to use the "airport" shuttle due to not flying in that same day. Most people do not fly in same day. Heathrow's Premier Inn is attached to Terminal 4 so I didnt want to have to take a different shuttle. One less thing to think about. Thanks to all who have given advise.

We had no problem getting into the baggage claim. We were at Newark International, though ... not JFK. But, several times, friends that pick us upor when we go to pick up a friend at the airport, this is where we meet them. Also, I think the buses may leave a bit earlier than that ... we've been on one as early as 10:30 from JFK or maybe it was LaGuardia. They drive round and round and round ... picking up other passengers throughout the airport ... so maybe they do leave at noon after all. LOL

Glad they are not being all sticky about you having to have a flight booked for that day.

This makes me feel so much better. Its basically what we are doing, with a twist..flying into Gatwick a day early then flying out of Heathrow after the cruise staying both times in the Premier Inns. We were told we may not be able to use the "airport" shuttle due to not flying in that same day. Most people do not fly in same day. Heathrow's Premier Inn is attached to Terminal 4 so I didnt want to have to take a different shuttle. One less thing to think about. Thanks to all who have given advise.

Your Travel Summary should have a section on Transfers. Mine did (last June for British Isles) and it specifically mentioned what you were to do if you arrived early and then returned to Heathrow to catch the Princess transfer on the day of the cruise. I didn't keep a copy of the Summary but it basically gave the time and place to meet the Princess reps who handled the transfers. We did arrive back at Heathrow before the meet time and there were already about 50 to 60 people waiting. Everyone was given upon their arrival, I believe, a color code for the bus you were to take to the ship. The buses were filled by your assigned color and you were led outside by a Rep to the boarding area. I think there were at least 4 or 5 buses. The whole process went just like it should.

My friends that were travelling with us, somehow had their transfers removed from their booking. It was no problem at all for them to get on the same bus as we were on. The Reps just checked their boarding pass, wrote down their name on the transfer list and charged the cost to their room.

I am sure that Gatwick will have this same process and it will go just as easy for you. The bus transfer from Southampton to Heathrow went just as smoothly. We didn't spend the night but if we had, I would have just filled in the Heathrow terminal number that had the HOPPA that goes to you hotel. Our cruise ended on a Sunday and the traffic from Southampton to Heathrow was terrible.

I want to get a Princess transfer from the airport to the ship on an upcoming trip. But I plan on coming a day early. My plan was to stay by the airport the night before and go back to the airport to get the transfer. I had a travel agent tell me that may not be possible to do. I can't imagine why but thought I would ask here. I thank you in advance for your response.

Last year we flew into LHR for a 4 day stay in London prior to embarking the ship in South Hampton, we purchased the Princess transfer from LHR to South Hampton and all we had to do is make sure we got back to the designated area at LHR to catch the transfer, it was plain and simple, no problems.

I would compare the price per person of the Princess Transfer to a private transfer. In 2016 we used Smiths for Airports. They met us at the airport right at the Customs exit, and drove us directly to our hotel in Southampton. The cost was right around GBP85 for the two of us. The Princess transfer at that time was US$54/pp or US$108 for the two of us. The two services are right around the same price for two people. The private transfer is much easier and WAY more comfortable and convenient.

Another vote for Smith's. We took a Princess Transfer from Victoria Coach Station in 2015. We arrived at the allocated time and had about an hour and a half wait because we were placed on a list and the coaches were boarded in the the order in which one arrived. I had no problem with this as it is fair but we had not anticipated the large number of people. In fall 2016 we were embarking another line in Southampton. We had a leisurely breakfast in the hotel and were subsequently picked up by Smith's for Airports bypassing the ship transfer. It was much more convenient, comfortable and civilized for the same price.

Have you checked out National Express, bus from LHR to Southampton bus station is 15 pounds one way. Done it a couple of times. A lot cheaper than a Princess transfer at around $120. Southampton bus station to docks is a 10 pound cab ride at the most.

The buses go every hour or two.

Checkout my response, post #18.

I am using International Friends from Southampton Princess dock to my London hotel - Premier Inn Waterloo. They pick you up at the dock, stop along the way, Stonehenge, and Windsor before taking you to certain London hotel, LHR and LHR hotels.

They only go on embarkment and disembarkment days.

http://www.internationalfriends.com

http://www.londontoolkit.com (cheaper to purchase through this site)

Can also use National Express Coach http://www.nationalexpress.com from LHR, or Victoria Coach station to Southampton Coach station and then a short taxi ride (under £10) to the dock.

Your Travel Summary should have a section on Transfers. Mine did (last June for British Isles) and it specifically mentioned what you were to do if you arrived early and then returned to Heathrow to catch the Princess transfer on the day of the cruise. I didn't keep a copy of the Summary but it basically gave the time and place to meet the Princess reps who handled the transfers. We did arrive back at Heathrow before the meet time and there were already about 50 to 60 people waiting. Everyone was given upon their arrival, I believe, a color code for the bus you were to take to the ship. The buses were filled by your assigned color and you were led outside by a Rep to the boarding area. I think there were at least 4 or 5 buses. The whole process went just like it should.

My friends that were travelling with us, somehow had their transfers removed from their booking. It was no problem at all for them to get on the same bus as we were on. The Reps just checked their boarding pass, wrote down their name on the transfer list and charged the cost to their room.

I am sure that Gatwick will have this same process and it will go just as easy for you. The bus transfer from Southampton to Heathrow went just as smoothly. We didn't spend the night but if we had, I would have just filled in the Heathrow terminal number that had the HOPPA that goes to you hotel. Our cruise ended on a Sunday and the traffic from Southampton to Heathrow was terrible.

I will keep checking the travel summary, maybe its just too early as trip is Sept 2018. Thank you for the information. Mary Ellen

I will keep checking the travel summary, maybe its just too early as trip is Sept 2018. Thank you for the information. Mary Ellen

I found it...I just didn't dig deep enough. This is why i love this site. So many smart people!