Celebrity email concerns! False Advertising- who can I call????

tinaincc

[/b]

True but in this case this Dining Package isn't available to anyone on the specific sailing. They should be able to filter out the sailings where the dining packages don't apply from their email blasts.

Many of these e-mails are computer generated e-mails & it would be very difficult to filter out dining package which do not apply..

However, I too agree it's not important & would not be worthwhile for the OP to complain about..

I'm not sure why you're so angry, you say yourself that you knew this wasn't available for your sailing....

Personally when it came up with the error i'd have just thought oh well never mind this is because its not available for my sailing and deleted it, end of!

I don't think you'll get anywhere phoning them and you will just waste more time getting yourself annoyed, life is short move on and have a great cruise! :cool:

While most experienced Celebrity cruises see the OPs complaint as insignificant we need to remember that it is important to them. I think that most long term posters have probably posted a complaint and really reacted when others simply said "move on, it's only...." I have received these "promotions" many times from many different companies. Celebrity often sends me a "personalize" letter or email telling me that because I'm a loyal customer I get get a discount on a drink package and/or internet package. As a Zenith I already receive these packages at no charge. People at Celebrity know me, the computer doesn't. Perhaps they need to work on the algorithm to improve their targets. Hopefully this discussion has been helpful to the community.

OP, If you truly are upset about the email, I suggest you file a complaint with the BBB and cancel your cruise. Otherwise go on the cruise and please try to have a good time. :D Not eating in a Celebrity specialty restaurant that you have to pay extra for in addition to your cruise fare is not the end of the world.

Besides you may be able to get a bigger discount when you board.

Many of these e-mails are computer generated e-mails & it would be very difficult to filter out dining package which do not apply..

However, I too agree it's not important & would not be worthwhile for the OP to complain about..

Actually, because it is computer generated, it would be very easy for any company that has a reliable IT department, which I guess excludes =X= ;)

I have never complained about advertising in my life. This is rediculous. They sent me the attached addressed to me personally and asked me to purchase something before I cruise. I have attached the email and the fine print. I think I am gifted enough to know this was offered to ME.

You are certainly brighter than me, what from this email would lead to believe this is NOT offered on my sailing?

bb8f3aae3df20253e93e612b536f56aa.jpg

39ecb45a2420055d76f052c9b79a3ef8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In fairness to the OP, Celebrity doesn’t really have their act together on this email. Did anyone else notice the part of the “fine print” at the bottom noting that a 20% first night discount is not available on Celebrity Century?

My gosh, how long has Century been gone from the fleet? Four years? Failing to mention that dining packages aren’t available on certain sail dates sort of pales beside explaning that this offer is not available on a ship that hasn’t been in the fleet for years. I think it’s time Celebrity had a revamp of their marketing emails!

We are booked on the 11 night holiday cruise this December.

We received an email telling us that our trip is just around the corner and that they have 3,4,5 night specialty restaurant packages available. I was surprised because I thought that was not offered on Holiday cruises. When I pressed “book now” it gave me an error and told me to call.

After holding FOREVER they came on the line to tell me that there are no packages available on holiday cruises!! This is ridiculous - THEY know exactly what cruise I am on - why would they send me an email that I cannot action!?

If this boilerplate email gets you in such a tizzy, my guess is there will be 87 (inconsequential) things that happen on your cruise that will positively ruin it.

I have never complained about advertising in my life. This is rediculous. They sent me the attached addressed to me personally and asked me to purchase something before I cruise. I have attached the email and the fine print. I think I am gifted enough to know this was offered to ME.

Two words: mail merge.

Since they're using a 2013 magazine award seal, is it possible this was a phishing scam? Or did this really originate from Celebrity? Without access to the clickable links view at the bottom of the email client, it's hard to tell from a picture.

Another theory is the email could have gotten lost in a time warp like episode of The Twilight Zone. :D

[/b]

True but in this case this Dining Package isn't available to anyone on the specific sailing. They should be able to filter out the sailings where the dining packages don't apply from their email blasts.

My point exactly. Thanks for saying it more appropriately than I did apparently.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Don’t you think you are over reacting just a teeny bit? It’s a dining package, not the end of the world. Book it when you board.

No actually I think my original post was pretty mild, I only became irritated when people here implied that I couldn't read.

Since they're using a 2013 magazine award seal, is it possible this was a phishing scam? Or did this really originate from Celebrity? Without access to the clickable links view at the bottom of the email client, it's hard to tell from a picture.

Another theory is the email could have gotten lost in a time warp like episode of The Twilight Zone. :D

This made me lol, thx! Could be the last time they received a dining award. Exactly why I want to be in the specialty restaurants.

If this boilerplate email gets you in such a tizzy, my guess is there will be 87 (inconsequential) things that happen on your cruise that will positively ruin it.

Not so. Take a look at my reviews (old screen name petersonwith3) never had a less than 5 star experience on my 10+ cruises.

In fairness to the OP, Celebrity doesn’t really have their act together on this email. Did anyone else notice the part of the “fine print” at the bottom noting that a 20% first night discount is not available on Celebrity Century?

My gosh, how long has Century been gone from the fleet? Four years? Failing to mention that dining packages aren’t available on certain sail dates sort of pales beside explaning that this offer is not available on a ship that hasn’t been in the fleet for years. I think it’s time Celebrity had a revamp of their marketing emails!

Thank you for the sanity, this is all that I was saying.

While most experienced Celebrity cruises see the OPs complaint as insignificant we need to remember that it is important to them. I think that most long term posters have probably posted a complaint and really reacted when others simply said "move on, it's only...." I have received these "promotions" many times from many different companies. Celebrity often sends me a "personalize" letter or email telling me that because I'm a loyal customer I get get a discount on a drink package and/or internet package. As a Zenith I already receive these packages at no charge. People at Celebrity know me, the computer doesn't. Perhaps they need to work on the algorithm to improve their targets. Hopefully this discussion has been helpful to the community.

Thank you.

Don’t you think you are over reacting just a teeny bit? It’s a dining package, not the end of the world. Book it when you board.

Interesting that you are so offended by my post yet you post about the annoying pop up ads and the fact that the marketing emails YOU receive from Celebrity are misleading.

I was only looking for suggestions and you could have easily moved on and not responded. I never posted on your threads that you over react yet you feel comfortable judging me.

Interesting that you are so offended by my post yet you post about the annoying pop up ads and the fact that the marketing emails YOU receive from Celebrity are misleading.

I was only looking for suggestions and you could have easily moved on and not responded. I never posted on your threads that you over react yet you feel comfortable judging me.

Re pop up ads, I have no idea what you are talking about.

I am not offended by your post, never said I was. I just think you were overreacting. Still do.

These rants of "false advertising" need to stop here on Cruise Critic. When in the last 50 years has anyone seen any advertising that if viewed in a particular way wouldn't be considered "false". No one would ever get a date, if "false advertising" wasn't allowed.

As for your particular situation, you just didn't understand that Celebrity understood that you read Cruise Critic and that you are intellectually gifted enough to understand that emails are delivered to many passengers that may not relate to their particular cruise. Move on and enjoy the cruise.

LOL - n you got it right on, I believe. We get these accusations snout X frequently. Many have seen these types of adverts, some of them are overlooked egos others are clutched against the bosoms of hope of getting a better deal of some sort or another.

I thought the OP indicated that they knew the offer was not applicable on their sailing and tried to get it regardless?

Advert was not applicable, pure and simple, not all adverts are applicable to everyone they are sent to. Not difficult to figure out and smile about, in my opine.

Bon voyage

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

You can file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission using this link: Complaint Assistant - Cruise Industry

For those who don't want to link directly to the form go to https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/ and select the "Other" button on the lower left. On the "Other" screen click the link at the bottom right that says "Click here for more options (page 1 of 2)". In the middle of the next page is a button to start the complaint assistant for "Travel, Vacations and Time Shares" (cruise lines are included in this category).

I don't think this rises to the level of false advertising or bait and switch, or any other crime. It does show how clueless X is with their digital services.

The FTC routinely follows up on complaints and files "cease and desist" actions against the companies, and assesses fines. This is a far better option than the pay-for-play BBB and it's toothless enforcement.

I agree completely. I work in IT and I know how easy it is to target information accurately. Even though the OP knew it didn't apply to her cruise, she got an email touting that it was available. How were they supposed to know it was sent to everyone? I would have done the same thing the OP did because you never know when Celebrity changes its rules. And I also would have been annoyed that I was sent a promotion for my upcoming cruise for something that wasn't offered. I don't think that is overreacting. I think Celebrity just needs to work harder on its IT.

This email was addressed to me personally, looks like a letter, commenting how my cruise is a short time away and is 100% focused on specialty dining packages. Including a link to book now. Nothing in the email fine print at the bottom says anything about exclusions.

Forums

So what did they say when you told them this? Did you ask to speak to a supervisor? It's probably worth at least one more call, IMHO, since it seems it has you upset.