Where RCI misses the boat . . .

balanceok

Carnival has amazingly comfortable beds, and bedding. If they can do it, so can RCI. Oh well... maybe some day.

Agreed, when I go on a Carnival Cruise I get the best sleep ever, even better then home. So much so I ended up buying their linens and pillows love them and they always stay cool, they sell the mattresses too but too expensive maybe some day

This is a picture from the Oasis , April 2017. We did not request any modifications to the bed --- thought it was great. Then I looked at why --- seems there was some additional padding that must have been left over from prior sailings. As you can see, the mattress is (was) three months old.

Mattress with egg crate

mac_tlc

No problems for me , I don't mind the beds on Oasis and Anthem .

Only a short period of time so I adapt to whatever is presented to me for the week.

I wouldn't think to bring a pillow , takes up a bit of space in the luggage I bet.

Agreed, the mattresses, bedding, and towels could really use improvement. However, the thin scratchy towels and bedding are pretty par for the course unless staying in a really high end hotel (I can only remember liking the towels in maybe one or two hotels...it seems like all of them avoid fabric softener), but the mattress was the worst. However, once I fell asleep, I slept through the night just fine.

I'd actually love to see a cabin option which had upgraded mattresses, bedding, towels, and maybe even a remodeled bathroom (on the older ships) for just a tad more money, to have an option somewhere between a typical cabin and a suite.

This “pillow-talk” (and mattress-talk) really concerns me. We sail our first RCI cruise on the Grandeur next week - and it’s a 12-day cruise.

How many bring egg crate mattress covers?

Seems a bit odd to me, however, I really don’t want to be with uncomfortable for 12 nights!

Earlier today, we got off the Grandeur. Did the 12 day Southern Caribbean cruise. The mattress was a bit harder than I like. Asked for and received on day one from our stateroom attendent two mattress pads. Slept quite well for the 12 nights on the Grandeur. We did have a Jr. Suite stateroom.

Earlier today, we got off the Grandeur. Did the 12 day Southern Caribbean cruise. The mattress was a bit harder than I like. Asked for and received on day one from our stateroom attendent two mattress pads. Slept quite well for the 12 nights on the Grandeur. We did have a Jr. Suite stateroom.

Thanks Dennis!

Agreed, the mattresses, bedding, and towels could really use improvement. However, the thin scratchy towels and bedding are pretty par for the course unless staying in a really high end hotel (I can only remember liking the towels in maybe one or two hotels...it seems like all of them avoid fabric softener), but the mattress was the worst. However, once I fell asleep, I slept through the night just fine.

I'd actually love to see a cabin option which had upgraded mattresses, bedding, towels, and maybe even a remodeled bathroom (on the older ships) for just a tad more money, to have an option somewhere between a typical cabin and a suite.

When I think I've read just about everything around here, suddenly we have upgraded towels and bedding.... for a price.

I love RCI, too, but I'll have to admit I'm not a huge fan of the beds either. I haven't noticed as much of an issue the last few years, but our 9-night cruise on the Enchantment back in 2010 was a very uncomfortable experience for me. Couldn't get comfortable in the bed no matter whether I slept on my side or my back. Very stiff back the first couple of hours in the morning, but would finally loosen up. BEST bed I've ever slept in was on the Caribbean Princess this summer- to the point where I actually looked forward to going to sleep just because of the comfy bed. ;p

Definitely worth an extra cash tip to your cabin steward if he can sort the better towels and bedding for you.

Agree. We always give our stateroom attendant an extra cash tip on day one. We also give him at the same time a list of extra things we would like (i.e., two buckets of ice each day, 2 extra pillows, mattress pads if the bed is too hard, extra bath towels, upgraded bathroom amenities). We have always had excellent service from our stateroom attendant.

We are Diamond Plus on RCI, so I'm an obvious fan and they are my preferred cruise line. But there is one area where they fall short of most of the other cruise lines and I am hopeful they will shortly make some improvements. I'm talking about their beds, bedding and pillows.

We all used to request the old egg crate mattress covers, but those are no longer available. Now they'll put an extra mattress pad on, but that doesn't solve the problem of very hard mattresses. Sure, there are those that prefer a hard mattress, and I can make do, but when you consider the two terrible wafer pillows that are included, it just doesn't make for a good sleeping experience. The bedding is also starting to show its age.

Princess and HAL are not as good as RCI in my opinion, but they've at least stepped it up on their beds and bedding. Now if only RCI would catch the vision. Come on guys!

:cool:

To each his own, some of the best sleep I've ever had is on RCL bedding.:D

Never had an issue sleeping on any of the RCI ships that we have been on.

I have always been very happy with mattress and bedding. Have been on a variety of ship "classes".

Can't imagine having to bring my own pillows . Obviously not someone who flys and pays $25 for every extra suitcase.

And while we're talking semantics, RCI is a time share seller. Royal Carribean's acronym is RCCL. ;p

No, Royal Caribbean International (RCI) is the company the runs the cruise ships under the name Royal Caribbean.

RCCL is Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines, which is the parent company of RCI, plus Celebrity and Azamara.

RCI is also used by a time share company, with the web site rci.com

No, Royal Caribbean International (RCI) is the company the runs the cruise ships under the name Royal Caribbean.

RCCL is Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines, which is the parent company of RCI, plus Celebrity and Azamara.

RCI is also used by a time share company, with the web site rci.com

Well if we want to be correct.....

RCCL is Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. (not lines) and traded under RCL. They are the parent company of Royal Caribbean International (referred to as RCI, despite there being a timeshare company RCI as well), Celebrity Cruises (X), Azamara, Club cruises, Pullmantur and the two joint ventures TUI cruises and SkySea Cruise Line.

I have always been very happy with mattress and bedding. Have been on a variety of ship "classes".

Can't imagine having to bring my own pillows . Obviously not someone who flys and pays $25 for every extra suitcase.

I have flown to ports all over the world with a my pillow in my backpack. The backpack fits under the seat in front of me and serves as a footrest - I am short.

My pillow is of thinnish cotton of the size seen on twin beds and can be folded to accommodate my blanket. I have never paid additional luggage fees as I am a light suitcase packer; no electronics, etc. My average-size purse, however, looks like a stuffed flounder!:)

Just off Majesty Monday. We had an interior room on deck 2. I don't know if they have recently replaced mattresses, but those were very comfortable with no sag at all. Luck of the draw?

Erika

We were in 9000 superior oceanview last year, and it was a great bed. I'm hopeful for Freedom in 31 days!

To each his own, some of the best sleep I've ever had is on RCL bedding.:D

I have a feeling that the soft swaying of the ship as it glides along the ocean has a lot to do with it....but I have never found the mattresses as much of a problem as some people have.