Where RCI misses the boat . . .

balanceok

I always bring 2 pillows with me from home.....

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Me too, take em everywhere ;)

Since we’re ‘just gold’, we like a firm mattress so the RCI beds are great for us. It’s got to be difficult to try and please everyone. Most hotel beds tend to be super soft, which is very frustrating for us. One chain we like uses a sleep number type system that allows you to change the firmness yourself. But I imagine they’re way more expensive than what RCI are using.

This might be a possible solution to uncomfortable mattresses. I've brought one on a recent cruise, but thankfully the mattress was fine and the air mattress wasn't needed. It's a good insurance policy, though, IMHO. Was planning on multiple cruise uses..

Klymit Static V Luxe Sleeping Pad size XL

Edited by Johnamac123

OP - I totally agree with you. I once had a cruise where all the mattress toppers were given out before I met my cabin attendant to request one. Now I contact special needs before every cruise and request that they be provided. I still usually add another blanket or three for additional padding because they did away with the egg crates (for hygiene reasons, i"m cool with that). The beds are painfully firm for a big woman who sleeps on her side. My hips ACHE. I'm diamond though - so I'm powering through!

We cruise taking drugs to counteract any chance of experiencing sea sickness. The issue these cause is one of having a small amount of difficulty staying awake and as such all sleeps on all cruises we have had have been accompanied by sound sleep on fully bellies with particulally pleasant dreams.

I have stayed in hotels where the bed has included a slab of concrete under the top sheet and so I do relate to the generic problem faced.

We are Diamond Plus on RCI, so I'm an obvious fan and they are my preferred cruise line. But there is one area where they fall short of most of the other cruise lines and I am hopeful they will shortly make some improvements. I'm talking about their beds, bedding and pillows.

We all used to request the old egg crate mattress covers, but those are no longer available. Now they'll put an extra mattress pad on, but that doesn't solve the problem of very hard mattresses. Sure, there are those that prefer a hard mattress, and I can make do, but when you consider the two terrible wafer pillows that are included, it just doesn't make for a good sleeping experience. The bedding is also starting to show its age.

Princess and HAL are not as good as RCI in my opinion, but they've at least stepped it up on their beds and bedding. Now if only RCI would catch the vision. Come on guys!

:cool:

I love a firm bed as it is better for my back. When I meet the cabin steward upon boarding, I request extra pillows, ice bucket & extra bath towels.

Love the new beds. Great for my back.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

New Beds? Which ship(s)?

As far as the rest, I've made due, but, to be fair you know you're not getting a new mattress when you walk in and there is a pit in the center of the beds.

Erika

Royal Caribbean, by far, has the worst beds and linens of any of the several lines we have sailed. For us, the beds are like slabs of concrete - with troughs.

On our last two Royal sailings, our room steward and the houskeeping head could not find a 100% cotton blanket for me. The only blankets available were those synthetic, foam things which I won't use as they feel creepy and smell weird. I now bring my own blanket and pillow.

Two words for their beds: they suck. The worst mattresses ever. My hubby and I totally agree with the OP. We had 4 or 5 extra comforters on the bed on the Anthem. It was like sleeping on a brick. :o (and yes, I have written this on numerous surveys).

They use to be great, but I suspect somewhere around 2015 they signed a contract to by 100,000 or so from some new company and they are honoring that.

They use to be great, but I suspect somewhere around 2015 they signed a contract to by 100,000 or so from some new company and they are honoring that.

Two things to keep in mind.

Cruise ship beds have special fire retardant specifications. Few beds meet the criteria.

Royal beds have that unique shape at the end.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

We are Diamond Plus on RCI, so I'm an obvious fan and they are my preferred cruise line. But there is one area where they fall short of most of the other cruise lines and I am hopeful they will shortly make some improvements. I'm talking about their beds, bedding and pillows.

We all used to request the old egg crate mattress covers, but those are no longer available. Now they'll put an extra mattress pad on, but that doesn't solve the problem of very hard mattresses. Sure, there are those that prefer a hard mattress, and I can make do, but when you consider the two terrible wafer pillows that are included, it just doesn't make for a good sleeping experience. The bedding is also starting to show its age.

Princess and HAL are not as good as RCI in my opinion, but they've at least stepped it up on their beds and bedding. Now if only RCI would catch the vision. Come on guys!

I agree 100% In fact the first thing I ask the stateroom attendant for is 6-8 more pillows. Funny thing.. on my MJ sailing last May, we were moved from our inside cabin, to an ocean view down the hall. (Shower with mold in the original cabin) When we packed up to move the attendant said "Take anything you want with you except those two thick pillows, those are new and we only get so many per section." :o

Two things to keep in mind.

Cruise ship beds have special fire retardant specifications. Few beds meet the criteria.

Royal beds have that unique shape at the end.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Carnival has amazingly comfortable beds, and bedding. If they can do it, so can RCI. Oh well... maybe some day.

Never had an issue sleeping on any of the RCI ships that we have been on.

DH and I like different kinds of beds -- he likes soft and I like hard mattresses; at home we have a SleepComfort so both of us can be happy. Yet on a cruise, we both seem to find a way to have a GREAT nights sleep....I believe it is the soft movement of the ship that is so relaxing along with being so tired after having a fun filled day and evening, even though we do catch a nap mid day.

All perspective.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We all used to request the old egg crate mattress covers, but those are no longer available. Now they'll put an extra mattress pad on, but that doesn't solve the problem of very hard mattresses.

Solution: First night of the cruise, sleep on the floor. After that, the bed will feel really comfortable...:D