Gratuity Removal Too Easy?

spj8705

Its probably an American thing........I think most "BRITS" think that "tips" should be earned, not taken for granted, ....a "tip" is for going above and beyond your normal duties.....when on Princess line there is %15-18 added to all drinks.....its fine if a waiter asks and brings a drink.....but if I go to the bar and get them myself....why should I pay a "service charge" when the barman is just doing his job?.....and before anyone has a go at me....I do "TIP" various employees......if the service is outstanding

Because the wages for just "doing his job" is not built into his paycheck. It's built into the service charge. So if he was "just doing his job" then he earned every bit of that 15% - 18%. Your personal opinions about what people do in Britain are irrelevant. It's customary and simply how the wage structure works. Nobody cares what Brits do at home or what they think on this matter. A cruise ship is not in Britain nor does it operate by British wage standards.

I find it amusing how so many people assume the worst when they see others removing the auto gratuities. Wouldn't it be nice if we imputed good to others instead of judging them? How do we know they are not removing the auto gratuities in order to give cash tips even higher than the auto gratuities?

It is pretty funny to see how people react. Maybe a bit of MYOB would be in order. :D

Ah, the old "but I end up tipping more" argument. You would think if you were tipping MORE than the auto-gratuity, you would simply leave the auto-gratuity in place and tip your extra bit... Maybe these people are just profoundly bad at math?

If you read the tipping policy from royal... It certainly reads as mandatory. And the only reason tips should be removed is in "the unlikely event that you receive unsatisfactory service". And yes, I know it's not mandatory... But the policy does not read as "optional".

Hence the auto gratuity. Anyone removing all the gratuities is a cheap low life. There is no way they received unsatisfactory service from every person that benefits from the auto gratuities.

Decent people don't make excuses to save a few bucks off the backs of underprivileged workers. Sorry. Removing grats is inexcusable.

Totally agree,the low life are laughing in all our faces when they remove auto gratuitys and most will not tip at all.

Because the wages for just "doing his job" is not built into his paycheck. It's built into the service charge. So if he was "just doing his job" then he earned every bit of that 15% - 18%. Your personal opinions about what people do in Britain are irrelevant. It's customary and simply how the wage structure works. Nobody cares what Brits do at home or what they think on this matter. A cruise ship is not in Britain nor does it operate by British wage standards.

You are correct. Neither does it sail under a USA flag so not too sure what American tipping is considered the norm either. It fly's under the flag of a former British Colony. Can't think of any other former British Colony's at the moment but I'm sure one will come to mind.

As for the actual tipping I am happy to consider the tips as part of the price to sail and therefore prepay. Same as when I am on holiday in the states. I mentally add the tip prior to any meal.

Edited by Dinglebert

You are correct. Neither does it sail under a USA flag so not too sure what American tipping is considered the norm either.

As for the actual tipping I am happy to consider the tips as part of the price to sail and therefore prepay. Same as when I am on holiday in the states. I mentally add the tip prior to any meal.

That's right. And cruise ships do not operate on an American tipping system, either. It's as simple as being respectful and going along with what is customary.

Though that may be going up with the recent proposals in the tax bill.

Well if that does happen it will be a sad day for all of us. :loudcry:

But let me thank the American taxpayer for subsidizing my cruising habit over the past 20 years. I'll never forget your kindness.:*

True but adding all those gratuities into the "sales" column would pretty dramatically alter that number and still increase taxes.

Again look at the SEC documents. Look at what the actual tax that they have historically paid.

And of course it their sales revenues go up so will their expenses i.e. the former gratuities, so it's a wash anyways.

Aside from whether or not one removes the Daily Service Gratuities, is the Full amount of the Daily Service Gratuities from all of the passengers distributed to crew?

Or......is there an 'Administration/Distribution Fee' deducted (not nice) by the cruise line from the total collective Daily Service Gratuities prior to distribution to the crew?

Edited by oldguysandgalls

I have spoken to lots of staff including bar staff and also my daughter worked for carnival for 2 years ..... THEY DO NOT RECEIVE YOUR GRATUITY .... it's just the same in the Resteraunt business. If you leave it on the bill and pay by card the company gets it. If you give cash you know they get it.

Last cruise I was on a couple of weeks ago I was chatting to one of the bar tenders and he was very unhappy as he never gets any of the bar gratuities. He told me he would be sacked by the company if he made it widely known.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That is blackmail if he is being truthful and we are also being ripped off because we give our tips in anticipation it is going to the crew.

Aside from whether or not one removes the Daily Service Gratuities, is the Full amount of the Daily Service Gratuities from all of the passengers distributed to crew?

Or......is there an 'Administration/Distribution Fee' deducted (not nice) by the cruise line from the total collective Daily Service Gratuities prior to distribution to the crew?

Other than the bean counters in Miami, no one can say for certain. RCI says the whole amount goes to the crew - up you what to believe.

I have spoken to lots of staff including bar staff and also my daughter worked for carnival for 2 years ..... THEY DO NOT RECEIVE YOUR GRATUITY .... it's just the same in the Resteraunt business. If you leave it on the bill and pay by card the company gets it. If you give cash you know they get it.

Last cruise I was on a couple of weeks ago I was chatting to one of the bar tenders and he was very unhappy as he never gets any of the bar gratuities. He told me he would be sacked by the company if he made it widely known.

Your statement is false!! I have worked as a waiter and received all of my tips that was left on a credit card.

Am I right in thinking that Australians the gratuities are included in the price? I may be wrong!

If that is the case then why don’t they just roll that out to everyone then there is no option to remove them and any want to give extra can.

They do now.

Princess (in fact all the Carnival Corp lines) had done it for ages, 10 years plus, the RCI lines started this year. funny while Carnival were including them and a Royal not, Royal didn’t get any competative advantage based on sales, contrary to what is asserted on these boards almost daily.

LOL. And the tipping back then was? These responses are all so difficult to read. All too unfriendly sounding. Our kids have been raised properly. They throw their trash away. Re-use towels. Geesh. You make them sound like animals. They are also used to eating at nice restaurants and behave themselves accordingly. The restaurant doesn't have to "go out of their way for them". My kids are more adventurous eaters than I am. Yes, they are charged less. Because the cruise line understands that they will make more by cramming as many people into a room as possible. So while you are all comfy and cozy in your room, we're fitting 3 additional people in there. The cruise will make more off of us. Actually, if you think about it, the poor room steward is losing money on just one person in the room. He could make so much more with us awful and terribly messy families. These comments are so belittling. I just wanted to have a friendly discussion. I didn't say I didn't want to tip. I just feel that $500 is a bit much for one room of people who typically stay in the buffet. If I could have deleted my comment to dodge the rest of these unfriendly replies, I would. Does anyone know how? And thank you to those that actually offered productive and friendly feedback.

No judgement from me. We are a family of five, 2 adults and 3 teens (2 cabins). My kids NEVER eat in the MDR, just the buffet. And as much as others will say that the staff in the buffet deserve tips, the level of service is just not the same. So, I've been debating whether or not to remove SOME of the gratuities that is supposed to be for the wait staff. I will certainly be paying the grats for the room steward, but why pay for a service I didn't use? Oh oh, now I'm going to be getting the negative comments...bring it on.

Your statement is false!! I have worked as a waiter and received all of my tips that was left on a credit card.

We've often asked our waitstaff if they prefer the gratuity in cash or on the credit card and the answer has always been "doesn't matter, I get it either way."

And....as far as the cruise staff not receiving their tips, I have to ask WHY they would sign up again and again, contract after contract if this was not true.

I will certainly be paying the grats for the room steward, but why pay for a service I didn't use? Oh oh, now I'm going to be getting the negative comments...bring it on.

Because workers on a cruise ship are captive. If you decide not to eat at the MDR, a waiter is still there regardless. They can't just leave and go to another side gig to earn a living. So that service is there for your benefit whether you use it or not. Just like there is service in the Windjammer whether you are there or not. Which is why tips are spread around accordingly. Cruise ships are unique, and that's why there is a set daily amount based on the number of passengers sailing that is distributed equitably to the crew.

The set gratuities is not for the "wait staff" - its for "dining services" - big difference.

You can expect negative comments because you aren't as clever as you think you are. Now you know. ;)

No judgement from me. We are a family of five, 2 adults and 3 teens (2 cabins). My kids NEVER eat in the MDR, just the buffet. And as much as others will say that the staff in the buffet deserve tips, the level of service is just not the same. So, I've been debating whether or not to remove SOME of the gratuities that is supposed to be for the wait staff. I will certainly be paying the grats for the room steward, but why pay for a service I didn't use? Oh oh, now I'm going to be getting the negative comments...bring it on.

Just remove them all and tip in cash as you go along.

Have you considered sailing on a cruise line that provides the level of service that you desire? Continuing to sail when you aren't happy about something and stiffing the cruise staff to "teach them a lesson" or whatever, it's kind of petty, no?

Who said teach them a lesson? How about not twisting words.. and if you wish to continue to pay the same amount and have your product cut in half... hey no problem. Not everyone needs to be smart enough to recognize when they are getting screwed.

Also in response to the first part of your comment.. I think my signature is quite clear that I have done that.

I agree this is all BS. The family can't afford, or doesn't want to pay $500.00 grats, and that the cruise line should pay their people more. OK, then they'll just raise the price of the cruise to make you feel better.Of course, then you'd say the cruise should cost less. It's lose, lose for the cruise line.

They are making over a billion dollars in profit. The CEO makes near 4 million. What and who are you really defending? ;) No one said I DON'T want to pay $500 in grats. Just that I'm "struggling with it". Seems like a lot of money on top of the rest of the gratuities I will also pay before and during the cruise. And there are more side charges on cruises than ever before. So aren't they already raising the prices? I'm wondering if this is a typical response from a person who travels alone or with one other person. I do not even flinch when I'm doing the same. But when you add 2 kids to the transaction, it seems out of whack. Again, I said I care about the people. I appreciate their service. I would like to compensate them. I'm just not sure the compensation is being distributed in the way I would imagine it should and it doesn't seem in line with how much I would pay in gratuities for any other vacation I take. There isn't much more to it than that. Apparently you all think it's the right price, regardless of how many people are in the room. Understood. But you can say it kindly. I wasn't trying to argue with anyone. Just thought I would admit that I was struggling with the total for a family.

Should the buffet staff work for free? Or maybe you should pay an extra fee to dine at the buffet, the fee covering the additional staff salaries since no tipping?

The all inclusive nature of a cruise ship is why they have set daily gratuities. What a nightmare it would be if you were trying to figure out every tipping scenario... buffet 10%, server in dining room 20%... how much for room steward?

Didn’t say that either, but the buffet staff is not in the added gratuity. I give them some cash if they waited on me in the buffet.

You have the right to do that, and it is your choice. Most here won't agree with it, as many tip more than the service charge (or at least say they do), and would probably just not give extra if they were eating in the buffet all day. Those waiters and waitresses in the buffet are the same ones in other locations throughout the day/week and end up all over the place. I would hope you would at least lower them for the dining portion right away instead of waiting till the last minute, but that is your choice.

Didn’t say that either, but the buffet staff is not in the added gratuity. I give them some cash if they waited on me in the buffet.

Actually, the buffet staff is in the service charge. They are the same people that do the dining room and many other places around the ship.