Gloves in buffet line

baronessk

And we use the little bottles of Purell - both in HC and MDR after handling the menus. But there are those who do not consider that "hand washing" - as in soap and water for 20 seconds or more - - which is why I asked. ;)

Its actually the CDC that does not consider it effective. It has very limited application where it does any good.

When I'm finished getting my food from HC, I go to the restroom (which is fairly close in proximity) and wash my hands, which takes like 3 minutes.

The food is not really hot anyway but I would rather not get sick than to have hot food. The hand sanitizer does not kill viruses, only bacteria

I totally agree with you. He’ all about the $$$$$ these days.

Tony

Speaking of $$$$. Money gets passed around from person to person country to country. It is well traveled and has probably seen some unsavory sites. I bet if I dropped a $20 bill on the cruise ship carpet these germaphobes would take a nose dive to scoop it up and the thought of hand sanitizer wouldn't even cross their mind. Yet someone would rather risk falling down a flight of stairs than possibly get sick from holding on to the hand rail of a moving ship. You just can't make this up.

So, lets talk about buffets. We have never seen gloves on any ship...including our most recent Regal Princess cruise (2 weeks ago). They do have hand washing stations and hand cleaning chemical dispensers, but this is not a great solution. Even a cruiser who enters the Horizon Court, scrubs their hands at the wash stations, squirts on some Purell, and then goes to get their food has totally defeated the purpose of hand washing. And the Purell is nearly useless against Norovirus. Ideally, one would scrub their hands, get their food, then go back and scrub their hands (with soap and water) and finally go eat.

Some cruise lines, such as HAL, have now changed their buffets so that most items are served by a staffer (who wears gloves) and most self service items are individual portions already plated. This minimizes the use of serving tongs and other implements.

As to "Code Red" that is almost like saying, once you are infected we will take precautions? They do not go to Code Red until their is an infection problem on the ship...by which time quite a few are already infected (and others are incubating). Having a permanent Code Red might help.

Hank

Well since the search bar is not working, I'll just put this out there. I was going to pack disposable bakery type gloves for use when going to the buffet to use the tongs that EVERYBODY handles. I JUST heard Dr. Oz say that ALL cruise lines now have them starting this year. They sure were not on X Infinity in August. We're sailing on Royal in Dec. Any recent Royal cruisers see any gloves? Thanks! btw...Dr. Oz had an outbreak of Noro at his home last year, so I understand anyone can get it anywhere, so please no flaming. Just trying to be cautious. Oh for the olden days when ladies wore gloves and you could hold onto the hand rail on the stairs!

Might I suggest that you purchase and use a Level A Hazmat suit -

What is a Level A Hazmat Suit?

Total encapsulation, highest levels or protection for skin, eyes, and respiratory system dealing with hazardous levels of mists, vapors, gases, and particles.

Used when work operations and/or function deal with high risk and potential for exposure, immersion, or chemical splash.

Consists of a full-face piece self-contained breathing apparatus or a supplied air respirator with an escape cylinder.

A worker must wear correct footwear such a steel toe boots with shanks on the outside of the suit.

Communication is also used to qualify as a Level A encapsulated suit. Two way radios are worn on the inside with microphones and ear speakers for a clear communications channel.

DON

I see nothing wrong with handling the tongs in the buffet unless you eat your food with your fingers. If you plan on doing that then you should wash or sanitise your hands before you eat. There's a bathroom right outside the door of every buffet and the newer ships actually have a sink and running water for a thorough hand wash. Before you say "....but I want to butter my bread roll" think about a hand wipe, sanitiser or the bathroom.

Currently on the Royal they don't even ask people to wash or use the hand sanitizer.

I'll ask them today if there are any talks about using gloves but I seriously doubt if it will happen.

Possibly having the crew serve each person might be more likely but even that requires to much time.

I say, pay your money & take your chances. It's worked for me throughout the years.

So, lets talk about buffets. We have never seen gloves on any ship...including our most recent Regal Princess cruise (2 weeks ago). They do have hand washing stations and hand cleaning chemical dispensers, but this is not a great solution. Even a cruiser who enters the Horizon Court, scrubs their hands at the wash stations, squirts on some Purell, and then goes to get their food has totally defeated the purpose of hand washing. And the Purell is nearly useless against Norovirus. Ideally, one would scrub their hands, get their food, then go back and scrub their hands (with soap and water) and finally go eat.

Some cruise lines, such as HAL, have now changed their buffets so that most items are served by a staffer (who wears gloves) and most self service items are individual portions already plated. This minimizes the use of serving tongs and other implements.

As to "Code Red" that is almost like saying, once you are infected we will take precautions? They do not go to Code Red until their is an infection problem on the ship...by which time quite a few are already infected (and others are incubating). Having a permanent Code Red might help.

Hank

Eat with a knife and fork. Solves the whole obsessing over elevator buttons, gloves and tongs. Your welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

... let’s look at what it would take for the cruise line to furnish gloves at the buffet.

... This will also probably increase the lack of hand washing by passengers.

Oh, please! Let's NOT! Just let Jan and her team manage the line.

The only real protection latex gloves provide is against contamination from a cut, sore or open wound on the hand encased in the glove.

Some people have this false sense of security that a gloved hand is a sanitary hand. If the gloved hand does the same germ-spreading things a bare hand does --such as lifting food to mouth in the buffet line, then touching tongs... or even touching face-- germs can still be spread.

Anyone ever eat in a low-end sub place where they make your sandwich in front of you while wearing gloves? Ever notice when they forget to take off the gloves to ring up the sale, handle your money, and then go on to the next customer with the same gloves? It's not the training, but it does happen.

... where did you wash your hands between handling the tongs in HC and eating?

Thank you for the following answer, which also does a good job at helping to reduce the cranky retorts: "but my food will get cold!"

tonit964

Yesterday 09:37 PM

When I'm finished getting my food from HC, I go to the restroom (which is fairly close in proximity) and wash my hands, which takes like 3 minutes.

The food is not really hot anyway but I would rather not get sick than to have hot food. The hand sanitizer does not kill viruses, only bacteria

While on the Caribbean Princess we were going through the buffet for lunch when a woman in front of us was eating the food off her plate with her fingers and then licking them clean before touching the tongs for the next item,all I kept thinking was I wish I had a pair of disposable gloves.:eek:

While on the Caribbean Princess we were going through the buffet for lunch when a woman in front of us was eating the food off her plate with her fingers and then licking them clean before touching the tongs for the next item,all I kept thinking was I wish I had a pair of disposable gloves.:eek:

You should have just steeped around her & cut back in line, making sure she saw you in the process. :evilsmile:

Don't eat anything with your fingers and always use utensils. Also don't lick your fingers, wash hands frequently and leave the gloves at home. Of course if you decide to go with the gloves it will give the rest of the passengers something to talk about.

That is so gross! I would have mentioned to her how unsanitary that was for the rest of the diners.

The thing people overlook in this situation and clearly this woman has not thought through is that anyone who has attended the toilet and not washed their hands will likely be depositing microbes on the tongs. She is effectively picking these up on her hands and then transferring them into her system by introducing them into her mouth as well as depositing more from herself.

People like your goodselves may well be picking up germs from both sources onto your clean hands. Thereafter you are using knives, forks and spoons to eat thus bypassing your hands and staying healthy.

Regards John

... Now we are on a 10 day cruise so we have 4000 gloves times 10 days for a total of 40,000 gloves being used per cruise. That is a lot of gloves to be purchasing, storing and then the disposal problem.

Disposal isn't an issue, they would just toss them overboard with the rest of the trash. :rolleyes:

I think DCL has the best practice, enforced hand washing for everyone entering the buffet. They have large hand washing stations outside of the buffet and a cast member at the door ensuring everyone that enters washes their hands before going in.

Hands down the best way to prevent Noro or other illnesses.

Its actually the CDC that does not consider it effective. It has very limited application where it does any good.

Correct, but it's not the ingredients that are the issue, it's the formula. The alcohol will in time kill noro. Regular store Purell, Purell Advanced, and other brands you see at CVS, etc. are made to dissipate (dry) quickly and the time's just not there to do the job. 70% ethanol will kill it, but it has to sit on your hands longer.

I love the Regal and Royal buffet and use it almost exclusively. I sanitize hands before, and once again as soon as I sit down. I also take food from the back of the trays. I've seen people drop food, pick it up WITH THEIR HANDS and put it back! :eek:. Same with rolls, etc. Bottom line, if the bad things get into the food, nothing will help, same with airborne. That said, I take the regular Purell bottles and empty them out... I use a different version of Purell, YF481, which sits on your hands much longer and contains both ethyl and isopropyl alcohols, and emollients to prevent quick dissipation. It has been proven effective to kill the nasties, including noro. People don't like it because if feels more slimy and does not dissipate quickly. But that's the idea!! Never had a problem. It was tested in the UK and proved effective against Noro, but it's still not easy to find around here. You'll find it on Amazon. I buy the big FMX dispenser bottles and fill the bigger 8oz countertop pumps, and use them to fill the little pocket-size bottles. Another good proven option is Clorox CLO 02174 Bleach-Free Hand Sanitizer. I use them after the gym, after sitting on an airplane (seat belts, trays, armrests, YUK! Travel extensively for work, plane to plane, haven't gotten anything (knock on wood).

Hey, enjoy the cruise. who wants to put gloves on all the time? Nothing is one-hundred % perfect, but take some steps that are the least intrusive to enjoying your vacation!

Disinfect the phone in your room, the TV remote, the safe keys and don’t shake hands with people especially the captain in that long reception line and you’ll probably get sick no matter what you do!

It has become part of cruising just not mentioned in the highlights brochure! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by goldenrod