Independence- possible bed bugs?

We both woke up on the last morning of the cruise with bites on our legs and feet that were not there before. I’m not sure if it is from bed bugs. We have contacted the cruise line. I sure hope not but I don’t know what it could be since the bites were not there before we went to bed. I have three bites on each leg only on the back side of the legs. My wife has three small bites on one foot. Neither of us have any other bites.

90E6683C-D1ED-4AA7-B05A-62A9973F5F1F.jpeg.0a96c128324ead4db8970f7455e13623.jpeg

CB923070-E07E-4BBF-80EB-966EA80C95AB.jpeg.63a1b6aeabce4b229fe66c2f378e1114.jpeg

Edited by CruisingthroughLife123

How did the bed bugs get into your cabin between the beginning and end of your cruise? Do you think they sat around all week waiting to bite on the last night? Any blood spots on the sheets?

Bed bugs have active and dormant periods. Only know that because I used to date a guy who has an exterminating company. :eek::eek:

I would say no bed bugs also. You would see bloodspots on the bedding. I unfortunately know too much about them, having experienced the bites so severe it required a Dr. visit. We discovered them the next morning after a late arrival at a hotel. Noticed them on the screen of my tablet while reading in bed. We travel a lot and I always do a "hunt", before moving in with luggage, but we were tired that night after a long flight.

The sores actually didn't show up for several days after the incident, I thought we had escaped. I can tell you the bites will have liquid in them and they will itch so badly they actually begin to hurt. Sorry if TMI.

Your bites are not from bedbugs. They are from no see ums/biting midges. I get bitten really badly, and they take a day or two to show up. Link:

http://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/aquatic/biting_midges.htm

And I won't disgust everyone with my bites photo again. :D:D

Edited by Coralc

We have been in the exterminating business for forty years, so I will give you my take. Bed bug bites are usually on the back and sometimes the upper arms but rarely on the legs and hardly ever on the lower legs. On the legs is usually some type of gnat or flea. Many people who get bit by bed bugs have no reaction whatsoever. We recently had a family of 7 infested with bed bugs and would never have known it if not for the mother getting bit. Bed bug bites carry no diseases but can be a psychological nightmare. You will be itching all over once you suspect there are bb even if there aren't any. We always check our beds when we travel by quickly pulling up the corners of the sheets and checking the creases of the mattresses for bloodstains or casings. These don't sound like bed bugs but we get more calls from people who "think" they have bed bugs then actually have them.

We have been in the exterminating business for forty years, so I will give you my take. Bed bug bites are usually on the back and sometimes the upper arms but rarely on the legs and hardly ever on the lower legs. On the legs is usually some type of gnat or flea. Many people who get bit by bed bugs have no reaction whatsoever. We recently had a family of 7 infested with bed bugs and would never have known it if not for the mother getting bit. Bed bug bites carry no diseases but can be a psychological nightmare. You will be itching all over once you suspect there are bb even if there aren't any. We always check our beds when we travel by quickly pulling up the corners of the sheets and checking the creases of the mattresses for bloodstains or casings. These don't sound like bed bugs but we get more calls from people who "think" they have bed bugs then actually have them.

Very helpful info; thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi! I've had a career in hotels and unfortunately have a lot of experience with Bed Bugs. They usually will bite in small "tracks" in a row and you would see little dots of blood on your sheets, possibly some casings too. This is probably something you picked up on the beach. Not Bed Bugs.

Fortunately we have never encountered bed bugs but thanks for the information on what to look for.

Hi! I've had a career in hotels and unfortunately have a lot of experience with Bed Bugs. They usually will bite in small "tracks" in a row and you would see little dots of blood on your sheets, possibly some casings too. This is probably something you picked up on the beach. Not Bed Bugs.

Another helpful post on what to watch out for.

Just sailed Indy last week. No issues with bug bites. Mattress was "extra firm" as usual

Cruising in two days on Indy. I hope there are no critters in the beds. As far as "extra firm..." ugh this is one of my issues with RCI. They really need better quality beds, and bedding.. the pillows are pathetic.

OP.. those look like bed bug bites, mosquito bites, contact dermatitis, pimples (LOL), etc. No one on this boards can diagnose it via the pics. Bed bugs are not limited to the upper extremities and torso, as they will bite where ever there is exposed skin. Whatever it is, thanks for sharing and I will be sure to check the mattresses when we board on Monday. I hope the bites go away soon.

One precaution we take when coming home from a holiday (in case we are carrying unwanted bedbugs in our luggage) is we empty our bags in the garage, put the clothes all in the laundry and the bags in the attic. We never bring the bags directly into our home. I saw this information many years ago and we still do it.