Advice on selling CruiseNext vouchers

JillK

Hi all.

I purchased two CruiseNext vouchers when I was aboard the Escape last December.

Due to a variety of reasons, I have booked two cruises in the next two years but not with NCL. As a result, I think it's highly improbable that I will be able to use my vouchers.

My mom is suggesting that I try to sell them for what I paid (didn't realize until I got home and saw the emails but mine are in Canadian $ as I had booked the Escape in Cdn $).

I wanted to reach out here and get any advice from anyone who has successfully sold them in the past (ie. are they quick at transferring them, if they can be used in USD if anyone knows)...

Many thanks!

I know that I I still have 3 years left to use them however it is highly unlikely I can afford two more cruises on top of the two non-NCL cruises that I currently have planned. We are a family of six so travelling is very expensive, especially when coupled with having to deal with exchange which hasn't been in our favour since 2007.

My preference for my current bookings would have been NCL and I searched to see what could work, however the NCL British Isles option was prohibitively more expensive than RCI so we went with RCI.

Meanwhile, NCL simply does not offer the Southern Caribbean itinerary in a regular enough fashion so that we can go when my kids aren't in school hence my Carnival booking.

So, that is why I am looking at selling these so I can recoup my money and someone else can realize the $100 per voucher savings.

A few years ago I bought a Cruise Next certificate from someone here on Cruise Critic. We moved the conversation to email and there was a bit of trust involved... after agreeing between the two of us, he contacted NCL to do the transfer and I snail mailed him a check. I offered to Paypal money to him and he said a check was fine. An easy transaction between two friendly, honest people. Perhaps this thread will get some interest. Maybe add an email address to your initial post? I don't know what the forum's policy is on selling the certificates via a thread here. I guess it's possible your email address could get deleted.

Good luck!

~Denise

Everyone knows that you paid 50% face value. That’s $125 USD each. People lie are most successful when the sell them at their cost

I have no idea what you paid, obviously, but we saved just $100, which appears to be precisely what OP is saying. (That is, we paid $150, and *not* $125.)

So NOT "everyone" knows they "paid $125". At the very least, *we* don't, so that's two less than "everyone"!

We purchased several, all at the same price.

We have one left, and might not be able to use it, but we are still hoping :)

(Our next currently-known NCL cruise will be too late, after the coupon expires, unfortunately.)

GC

I have no idea what you paid, obviously, but we saved just $100, which appears to be precisely what OP is saying. (That is, we paid $150, and *not* $125.)

So NOT "everyone" knows they "paid $125". At the very least, *we* don't, so that's two less than "everyone"!

We purchased several, all at the same price.

We have one left, and might not be able to use it, but we are still hoping :)

(Our next currently-known NCL cruise will be too late, after the coupon expires, unfortunately.)

GC

You can always sell them to someone who appreciates a savings. And you won't be out a total loss. I have gifted several CRUISENEXT certificates to my family & friends. I've never dealt with a total stranger but I believe in Goodwill and as long as we had an email conversation where I had some feasable proof of an agreement I'd certainly consider doing so. It could be arranged with a TA to apply the voucher number. I've done it. And it was easy peasy.

Assuming Adm. doesn't mind, I'd definitely start right on these boards to sell mine if I was going to lose it anyway! I firmly believe "most" people are honest. And if it isn't allowed, you'll get your fingers slapped. No one will take away your Birthday!!! :')

• Like 1

I know there are people out there who would try to "make money on them" but I am only looking to recoup what I spent, not make money. I paid $150 USD per $250 certificate, since I got $100 OBC for each.

BirdTravels, if you paid only $125 for $250 value then you got one heck of a deal.

In any case, I was simply looking for some advice on how I could go about doing this from someone who has done so in the past. Obviously there is a lot of trust involved by both parties, hence why I was seeking the benefit of someone else's experience.

I've offered them to my parents who cruise NCL almost exclusively now but they were with us and purchased their own and don't think they'll be able to use mine. I've also offered them to a good friend of mine who has just started sailing with NCL but she too is uninterested.

Thanks for the input.

If you purchased just one, then the net-cost was $150. Any other quantity, and the net-cost is $125.

33dfea7a9f8e4e2cf4f64647c6476937.jpg

I’ve purchased them several times at cost in the past, and have also had friends pick them up onboard for me if I need them before my next sailing. OP - if you’re selling at cost, I’d take them off your hands.

Many of the at-cost ones on eBay are from travel agents, and the small print requires you to book through them to redeem it.

Hi all.

I purchased two CruiseNext vouchers when I was aboard the Escape in December.

My mom is suggesting that I try to sell them for what I paid (didn't realize until I got home and saw the emails but mine are in Canadian $ as I had booked the Escape in Cdn $).

I wanted to reach out here and get any advice from anyone who has successfully sold them in the past (ie. are they quick at transferring them, if they can be used in USD if anyone knows)...

Many thanks!

What exchange rate did they use for the conversion in December? They will quote $250us and $???cdn on the certificate.

That exchange rate versus the current will influence the saleability of the certificates.

If you bought 2 at the same time, they charged $250 for the pair or they made a mistake. I’d look into a refund if they charged $300.

The $125 purchase price for 2 or more cruise next certificates, has only been for about 2 years. ALL purchases prior were at $150 for a $250 certificates. They have been around for over 10 years. I've enjoyed thousands of dollars in savings. :)

Humm... now you've all got me wondering. They came through to me on email in Canadian $ (value of $690) but I thought I had paid $500 and gotten $200 obc but I will check and advise. Possibly I purchased them separately rather than at once and this could be why. I'll have to go search through my paperwork for that cruise and see what the line item charges were.

TheDougOut - will let you know. Will have to get some semantics out of the way like I assume these can be applied in USD at a rate of $250 per, but would feel better if I call NCL tomorrow and confirm.

I used a CruiseNext voucher with a value of $250 USD to book that Escape cruise but because I paid for that cruise in Canadian, the CruiseNext voucher was applied at a rate of $250 Canadian which really meant that it cost more to acquire given the exchange rate so I lost out there.

So I buy them all the time as I cruise often. When you only buy one they are $250 USD and you get $100 OBC. When you buy two as you did, you pay $500 USD and you get $250 OBC. The way it shows on your ncl bill is weird so that may be the confusion. It is split into two OBC entries on your bill and they usually are different amounts but add up to $250 OBC. Last winter they would have been valued around $690 for two. I bought back when the dollar was that crappy. My last ones I bought were $650 CAN. Just depends on the rate at the time. Problem is our dollar is better than when you bought them so you may loose a bit selling them but should only be around $25. Most people won't want to pay more than $250 US for them as that is what they cost onboard. Easy to transfer though. Just have to call ncl.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Humm... now you've all got me wondering. They came through to me on email in Canadian $ (value of $690) but I thought I had paid $500 and gotten $200 obc but I will check and advise. Possibly I purchased them separately rather than at once and this could be why. I'll have to go search through my paperwork for that cruise and see what the line item charges were.

TheDougOut - will let you know. Will have to get some semantics out of the way like I assume these can be applied in USD at a rate of $250 per, but would feel better if I call NCL tomorrow and confirm.

I used a CruiseNext voucher with a value of $250 USD to book that Escape cruise but because I paid for that cruise in Canadian, the CruiseNext voucher was applied at a rate of $250 Canadian which really meant that it cost more to acquire given the exchange rate so I lost out there.

They are listed on your latitudes account. Simply look them up, if they have the same dates, you most likely bought them together.

:)So you should really look cause that also doesn't seem right. If when you booked the cruise you went on (the one you bought the deposits on) in Canadian dollars then your deposits will show on your account in Canadian dollars. When you apply them on your next booking assuming you book in Canadian dollars it will be deducted in the Canadian dollar amount as shown in your account so it would not be $250 Canadian, it would be $345 Canadian (half of the $690). If you book your cruise in American dollars then it would be $250 American that is deducted. Usually you have to call and have them switched to US dollars before they can be used on an American dollar booking. You will always get the full value of whatever you paid at the time regardless if the dollar changes. I hope that makes sense. You should log into ncl and scroll down and it should show your deposits and the amount they are worth. If it says $250 then that is american. If it says $345 then it is in Canadian dollars. Just depends how you booked the original cruise.

• 9 months later...

I have two $250 credits totaling $500 (for which I paid $250.)

They expire May 2020.

Unfortunately, both of my children have super busy schedules these days and I can't seem to find a time that we'd be able to use the credits.

I'd love to sell them to someone / parties that will be cruising before May 2020.

Please contact me on emcfish@yahoo.com emcfish at yahoo

Thanks!

I have two $250 credits totaling $500 (for which I paid $250.)

They expire May 2020.

Unfortunately, both of my children have super busy schedules these days and I can't seem to find a time that we'd be able to use the credits.

I'd love to sell them to someone / parties that will be cruising before May 2020.

Please contact me on emcfish@yahoo.com emcfish at yahoo

Thanks!

How much do you want for both?

FYI cruise next certificates are not supposed to be sold on eBay, because they are not something that is tangible.

I was going to suggest eBay until I read this but since others have sold theirs on that site it doesn't sound like it's enforced that much. How about Craigslist or the faceplace?

I'm the original poster on this thread going back to last year. Surprised to see it revived as there have been many other posts regarding buying/selling these on here in the interim.

Since it's been reactivated, I will mention that I did manage to worm my way into using both to deposit on a cruise this coming December. So just when I was convinced I couldn't use them, I worked a little magic with the vacation fairy.

Because I booked with a US agent this time out, I was able to apply them as $500 USD rather than the CDN dollar value. Interestingly, the last cruise I booked using an FCC (bought in USD with a value of $250 USD) was with a Canadian agent and in CDN dollars, but was applied to my booking as $250 CDN so I lost out there but wasn't willing to fight for the difference (I believe exchange was around $1.10 at the time).

To emcfish: It certainly seems that there are folks here who would be willing to buy them at the price you paid and I have also seen them up for sale on eBay as well as Kijiji locally. Good luck.

• 3 months later...