European Cruise - where to start?

lmmason428

Consider logistics and how comfortable you are with getting yourself around. In some departure cities the international airport and cruise port are actually in the same city (Barcelona), in others (Southampton, Rome, Athens) they are at a distance - sometimes hours away. This is not a problem for us, but it is something to consider. The Mediterranean would be my recommendation for 1st time in Europe - you'll get Italy/Greece/France highlights and maybe Spain, Turkey and even north Africa is everybody is getting along. The Baltic is wonderful for northern Europe - Sweden, Denmark, Finland, etc and usually hits Germany and St Petersburg Russia - although the Russia stop is a big hassle, so be prepared.

St. Petersburg should not be a big hassle as long as you use one of the many private tour operators. Probably the best way to hook up with one of them is to check your roll call and see if anyone is using one of them and looking for others to join them.

St. Petersburg should not be a big hassle as long as you use one of the many private tour operators. Probably the best way to hook up with one of them is to check your roll call and see if anyone is using one of them and looking for others to join them.

Agreed.

Altho for most ships, in St Petersburg the local operators sell "seat in van" for a range of standard tours, so you don't have to put a group together - they sort that out themselves.

JB :)

ps just to clarify kitty's post - the cruise terminals in Southampton are close to Southampton city centre, some closer than others. But Southampton is about 75 miles from London (and it's about the same for Dover and Harwich), and cruise lines insist on calling them all "London". :rolleyes:

Have you considered a European river cruise? They're a bit pricey, but you get more touring time in small groups, and many lines include things ocean cruises don't, such as tours, tips, alcohol, transfers, etc.

Roz

That's just what I was gonna mention .... it is a whole different way of cruising and once you cruise 'small ship' you'll probably be convinced.

Something else to keep in mind IF you have time. On our last EU cruise we came back on QM2 - transatlantic Hamburg to NYC - balc cabin for 2 for WAY less than 2 business class airline seats. Of course is is 9 days rather than one

I agree, St Petersburg isn't too much of a hassle as you just book a tour (the port agents are grumpy but everything else is smooth)

Come to think of it most of the common Baltic ports are very easy to get to from port to ship. I can't comment on Sweden though as our cruise didn't go there.

Have you been to Europe before? If so, is there some part that you haven't been that you'd like to get a taste of. We did a Lisbon to Barcelona cruise last spring because we've never been to Spain nor Portugal and wanted to have a first visit there.

If not, what part of Europe most interests you? Is there an embarkation or debarkation port that you'd particularly like to spend time in/ When we've gone on European cruises, we've spent 3 to 4 days on land at each end to explore the start and end ports.

We've enjoyed all our travel in Europe so I'd say its best to start with what your interests are.

Looking over all the responses you got, I doubt this will be help ful to you... so my suggestion is just pick and go... I guarantee you will not be disappointed. We did our first European cruise in l989 from Venice to London... we actually got off in Lahavre France and went to Paris... it was magical.... we never stopped going to back to Europe.

The hassle in St Petersburg I was referring to is A) the Visa, B) Not being allowed off the ship without a pre-arranged tour and C) not being able to go anywhere or see anything that was not on the official tour - not even shops. So what we saw was beautiful and interesting, but very restrictive. We talked to other people who had private tours that were much more flexible, but they had pre-booked them before leaving home and they were pretty expensive. On the other hand, Tallin, Estonia was terrific. And the white nights were great.

The hassle in St Petersburg I was referring to is A) the Visa, B) Not being allowed off the ship without a pre-arranged tour and C) not being able to go anywhere or see anything that was not on the official tour - not even shops. So what we saw was beautiful and interesting, but very restrictive. We talked to other people who had private tours that were much more flexible, but they had pre-booked them before leaving home and they were pretty expensive. On the other hand, Tallin, Estonia was terrific. And the white nights were great.

You have stated another reason to book private tours in St, Petersburg. Most, if not all, will allow you to modify the tour. For instance our group booked an Alla comfort tour, One person wanted to add a synagogue, and when no one objected, it was added to the tour. Also when we first started, our guide asked if there was anything extra anyone wanted to see. I said that I had read that the subways were very interesting. Our guide then took us to the subway and instructed our driver where to pick us up.

And yes you should book them in advance since you need their visa to get off the ship. I do not agree with expensive when compared to ship tours. We were a group of 10 on our tour (off of our roll call). It ended up cheaper than a comparable ship (Princess) tour. It's been 15 years since then, but as I recall once we got up to six on the tour, it became cheaper. And of course you get around much more easily with a small group in a Mercedes van than a 40 person tour bus.

And yes, Talinn is fascinating and can be easily done without any paid excursion.

We took our first cruise in Europe this summer. I went with a British isles cruise. It went to Guernsey, Cobh (for Cork), Dublin (overnight), Belfast, Greenock (for Glasgow), Ivergordon, Edinburgh, and Le Havre. We had a great time. One of the reasons I chose this cruise was that it did go to places where we would not have any problem with the language. It was easy to do excursions on our own or booked independently. We also enjoyed our four nights in England before the cruise. I wish I had planned for more.

It is possible to book a cheap, independent tour that allows flexibility too.

We booked a Vodka tasting and shopping night tour for less than £50. It was just us and another couple. Also got free drinks of course :)

I think because theres so much to see tour companies just pack their tours full with stuff.

Completely agree with Tallin though...it became our favourite port of the cruise.

That's just what I was gonna mention .... it is a whole different way of cruising and once you cruise 'small ship' you'll probably be convinced.

Something else to keep in mind IF you have time. On our last EU cruise we came back on QM2 - transatlantic Hamburg to NYC - balc cabin for 2 for WAY less than 2 business class airline seats. Of course is is 9 days rather than one

Definitely the way to come back across the Atlantic - and if your European cruise is in September to early November, you will have many low cost repositionings to consider as well.

ps just to clarify kitty's post - the cruise terminals in Southampton are close to Southampton city centre, some closer than others. But Southampton is about 75 miles from London (and it's about the same for Dover and Harwich), and cruise lines insist on calling them all "London". :rolleyes:

We have cruised from Southampton and Dover with NCL and they didn't called them London. I guess some other lines might do it.

We have cruised from Southampton and Dover with NCL and they didn't called them London. I guess some other lines might do it.

https://www.ncl.com/uk/en/cruises/12-day-british-isles-from-london-southampton-JADE12SOUGCIIPOCOBDUBGRKKWLIVGNWHTYNSOU/schedule?&itineraryCode=JADE12SOUGCIIPOCOBDUBGRKKWLIVGNWHTYNSOU&customerStoriesCurrentPage=1&customerStoriesPageSize=3

............ variously describes it as London (Southampton) or Southampton (London)

Click on the "ports" and the very first photo is of Southampton's Big Ben and Houses of Parliament, behind Southampton's Westminster Bridge ;)

• 4 weeks later...
https://www.ncl.com/uk/en/cruises/12-day-british-isles-from-london-southampton-JADE12SOUGCIIPOCOBDUBGRKKWLIVGNWHTYNSOU/schedule?&itineraryCode=JADE12SOUGCIIPOCOBDUBGRKKWLIVGNWHTYNSOU&customerStoriesCurrentPage=1&customerStoriesPageSize=3

............ variously describes it as London (Southampton) or Southampton (London)

Click on the "ports" and the very first photo is of Southampton's Big Ben and Houses of Parliament, behind Southampton's Westminster Bridge ;)

Yes, the picture is from London but the text is about Southampton.

They probably feel that many of the people cruising from Southampton also visit London and because of that it's logical to mention London but they don't say that embarkation is in London.